Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Is necromancy inherently evil in your campaign? Have you had experiences with fellow PCs using necromancy, for good or for evil?

/pfg/ pastebin: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU
Broken Shackles Playtest: app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/59701/broken-shackles-test-play
Creation Handbook Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1kitAB8sHgmuD3fvOMuI_KyV_dxpO2wrxQmbnCoRgglA/edit#
Avowed Playtest: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!nE0hGIRL!gOFNKfhyFfoLeuJEWzl51g!PVEk3ZzR
pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Order_of_the_Nail
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBVU12SWp0MTJSWTA?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've never felt right with 'inherently evil'

It should always be 'this is evil because X', not just 'this is evil'

No necromancy isn't inherently evil in my game, it is frowned upon but it's not illegal, undead commonly replace slavery in my campaigns.

I'll be DMing my first campaign on Sunday, anyone have any advice or anything? Should I use a premade campaign, or should I come up with my own? I'd like to eventually work it into a larger campaign once everyone in my group becomes a little more familiar with Pathfinder.

Also, is it possible to play without a mat/grid/whatever? I'm ordering one, but there's no way it's gonna get here by the time I play.

Necromancy to speak with the dead, raise the mindless as servants, and to give a shadow of life are not evil in my campaign; using Necromancy to damage a creature's soul or to create thinking undead is though.

just have fun with it, be prepared for players to do crazy shit.

Playing without a grid isn't hard to do but once combat comes into play just kind of clear some space on the table and use whatever is available paper wise.

It's possible to play without a playmate/grid/whatever, as long as you don't enter any combat. It relies pretty heavily on moving 5ft here and 30ft there and whatnot.

Cheap alternative is drawing a grid on a paper, and using figurines of some sort.

Yeah, I was planning on using paper for combat, or at least trying to.

Does the lack of a visual aid take away from the experience at all? It'll probably be light on the roleplaying to start since none of my players have ever done it before, so I'm a little concerned that things might be boring for them without it.

It's less the visual aid and more mechanical assistance, but it shouldn't hurt too bad.

A bit of paper with a grid drawn on it will probably do fine.

Or if you wanna be fancy, some large-scale grid paper.

"greater good" is rhetoric and thus irrelevant in alignment discussions

The visuals don't matter. As long everything goes smoothly on the mechanical side, it should be fine.
Combat will get boring if you don't role-play it/describe it will though.

I need visuals because relative positioning him a battlefield with as many as 15 indivuals is important in my opinion. Walls, objects, creatures, and light sources play a role.

Meant visuals as in a pretty playmat, actual high-quality figurines, etc.

Still looking for Wrath of the River King.

Could you guys help me for a second? I'm making a Synth Summoner, and need some feedback on the background.

Ok, so in this homebrew setting, long time ago an elder race fought off the Far Realm's invaders - aberrations - and sealed them off in vaults they constructed.

The elder race made a contract with a certain race of outsider to guard the vaults. So each vault is guarded by an outsider. When a ward breaches the outsider would come down to his vault and seal the aberration again.

However, the aberration was too fast/too strong than he imagined and the outsider got seriously wounded - even to the point he couldn't sustain his form in material plane. It would take too long to go back to his native plane to recover, and he will be fucked for breaching the contract.

So, my questions are...
- What kind/race of outsider would fit this background? Doesn't need to be a good outsider.
- What kind of a pact would fit to make the outsider an eidolon? I mean, IIRC the Synth Eidolon does not have an ego of its own, and the summoner just 'wears' its body. So what should my PC offer and offered back?

Synth Summoner eiodolan has its own ego.

Aren't those the kind of questions you should be asking your GM rather than a bunch of random people on the internet?

Alright, let's give in to some degeneracy. A bit late, since I only saw the post a little while ago.

Not my favorite character per-say, but certainly the one that Corwin would have the most interesting chemistry with.

Corwin drained the mug of ale and called for another. He could feel their eyes on him, muttering, judging. The clothes, the scars, the sword, they all weighed on him; physical reminder of the choice he'd made. He'd imagined returning as a celebrity, decked in gold and furs, bearing stories of heroism. Instead the people seemed to avoid him, almost fear him. Ameiko and her siblings had been happy to see him, of course, but as the days turned to weeks, their hospitality was wearing thin.

He drained another ale. Things weren't going back to the way they were.

Corwin was roused by the sound of someone pulling out the stool on his right. She was pale, and dark haired, intricately carved jewelry clinked as she took a seat. Corwin remember seeing her around years ago, back before... before he made the worst mistake of his life; but he couldn't remember her name. "People have been saying there's a vicious barbarian in town, you may want to be careful around strange men in bars."

She laughed a high pitched, and slightly off kilter laugh. "Thanks for the concern. Now, it's only fair, that I warn you of the evil witch who slays men with her mind. Be wary."

He grinned, and offered a hand. "Corwin Brin, vicious barbarian."

CowinXAnja, strangest couple AR 4617

She shook his hand. "Anja Spitszen, evil witch."

The two laughed and talked long into the night; for the first time in a long while Corwin felt normal. Things wouldn't be the same, but maybe they'd be better.

Ah goddammit, fucked up the formatting.

Who here plans on their character having a crush on NToRacle if you're in the same party? I like the idea of NTRing Ameiko and stealing him away.

As Anja's player, this fairly well fits how she is.

It's also kinda surprising that Anja is evidently one of the better submissions. But, then, I've always been my own worst critic. Is there anything in particular that stands out about her?

I think I have a fundamental problem /pfg/ and my party is becoming concerned.

So I've become somewhat enamored with making Oracles of late. While I didn't notice at first the rest of my table has noticed I keep making them have backstories and curses that seem a bit too 'edgy' or 'depressing'.

For example making a half-elf Oracle that grew up in a small town and coming to love the forests outside the town limits, only to find one night it was set ablaze by careless adventurers. They begged the gods for some way to deal with the fire, and in that moment a powerful gust of unnatural wind sucked up all of the fire and ash and infused it into their arms. This was the basis for their mystery, Wind, and the Blackened curse.

I dunno I just feel off when my characters aren't suffering, or have to atone for something, or have some kind of painful reason to go adventuring. I've tried in the past to just make a character that seeks the 'thrill of adventure' and be positive but it just doesn't come natural to me. It feels wrong playing a character like that.

What can I do to improve, /pfg/ ?

>+X to Will against fear effects
>"Lol look at these 1001 features that don't allow you to roll save like intimidate"
Thanks obama

>Is necromancy inherently evil in your campaign? Have you had experiences with fellow PCs using necromancy, for good or for evil?

I dont like necromancy as inherently evil. It changes some things around with how certain undead interact but that is the way things are. I like to play necromancers, and not just the raise an army kind. It is by far my favorite school of magic. I usually play a neutral type and sometimes dabble in good and evil.

I like the ideas of nations using skeletons for manual labor and what not. Hollowfaust is one of my favorite books on this.

stop making duplicate threads just to protest the other one you fucking cunt, this is how they get banned from the board.

This is like the third time you've done this in less than a week.

It wouldn't be so bad if people would stop fucking splitting between the threads and keeping them both bumped

R8 my homebrew turtle race I just made in a few minutes

+2 Constitution +2 Wisdom -2 Dexterity
+2 Natural Armor
Medium
20 speed
20 swim speed
2 1d3 claw attacks or 1d6 bite attack.
If hit by a killing blow, may make a Reflex save with a DC equal to the attack roll, if successful, may retreat into shell, providing DR 15/Adamantium and +4 natural armor, but the only action they may take is leaving the shell(a move action)
When fighting defensively, gain extra +1 AC.

Well, RIP old thread

Aaaand the other thread is dead. That's a shame. At least it had something cute in the OP.

Get fucked furfags. Yiff in hell.

I don't much like the blatant fetishbait / ERP OP's either, but making another thread (and keeping it bumped) just to protest them is even worse form. Thats how /pfg/ will end up getting banned from board.

That's what I mean, though. The second threads wouldn't be so annoying if people stopped bumping them. All the second thread does is stop any interesting topics from forming because the threads are now just shitposting about how they're "the right one".

Killing Blow or a blow that would otherwise knock it unconscious?

There are exactly two people in this thread bitching about how there are/were two threads because the first one was shit. Everyone else is staying on topic.

>kemonomimi
>furry
Get out and crawl back to your 40k gutter.

Go back to your ERP thread. Oh wait.

so gotta ask, is NToRacle just dead weight in combat? How does he expect to actually get accepted?

I've always believed that normal, mentally balanced individuals don't become adventurers; and those that do, don't remain healthy for very long.

For me, Anja hit the right balance of mentally scarred and well-defined personality, without being overly fetish bait-y. Plus the similarities between her and Corwin made their contrasting personality traits "pop" a bit more, and made potential romance a bit more interesting

He's a fullcaster. they're dead weight at level one, but even poorly optimized ones can end encounters at level 7.

You're right, that does need clarification.

If knocked into negative HP by an attack they are aware of and they are not flatfooted, may make a Reflex save with a DC equal to the attack roll, if successful they may retreat into shell, providing DR 15/Adamantium and +4 natural armor, but the only action they may take is leaving the shell(a move action)

Would 5+Character level be a better amount of DR?

He's also a 6 level initiator.

>4617
>Literally one hundred years ago.
>Fucking bards.

Well, depending on what you play it can also be a political ideology or even a 'faction'...

Hey, don't blame me. I didn't have enough ranks to put a point in Knowledge History.

Makes sense. For Corwin, he'd probably have to be the one to make the first move on Anja, but he's got a leg up in that he's got two things she really likes - beards, and muscle.

As far as having killed people before, she honestly wouldn't care, and might even enjoy some of the more horrible war stories. I don't know if anybody's actually noticed her alignment yet.

Actually level 2-4 spells where it's hard, especially for Oracles with their shit spell list. Level 5 is where is gets easier.

Speaking of inversions of typical backstories, I really like how Casimir starts the campaign with his story "over." He's done. Retired. He could spend the rest of his life as an Artisan and still have a lifetime of stories from his time as a swordlord.

I also like the handling of his wife's death, if that's something to note. Most characters become Determinators when a loved one dies, ever vigilant to figure out ways to either improve themselves or bring justice to their lost ones. Casimir sort of treats it like we would treat a senseless tragedy - he mourns, he grieves, and then... Well, life goes on.

So has this thread gotten the Curse of the Crimson Throne anniversary edition yet? It's not in either trove, but I thought I'd check.

AR to CE is -2700. IC to AR is -2500. IC to CE is -5200. Which means that the current year on Golarion is 4716. Though the current year on Earth in the Pathfinder universe is 95 years earlier, so it's 1921 there.

I'd go with 5 or 10 max. DR/Adamantine is nothing to sneeze at on its own, and this would be the best source of it in the game.

The thing is, often when you are hit into negative HP it's way more than -5, especially at higher levels when you could easily be hit into -45 or -50.

Have you considered writing up only slightly dysfunctional (no one's perfectly normal that becomes an adventurer)?

>Get raised by loving - if somewhat absentminded - crafter/sage type parents
>Actually have tons of anecdotes (and then the party *never asked*) from growing up with them that helps put insight into the various skills you started with, because honestly, who the fuck has knowledge:planar and engineering at level 1 and *didn't* at least get it from someone or somewhere?
>They helped you pay for a good university or find a good apprenticeship, so that you'd have the best chances out there
>Your decision to hunt dragons and giant robots for money and materials suddenly became quite convincing after you explained to them you'd be hanging out with people that can literally produce miracles and raise the dead so that in some ways it's a lot safer than many other jobs out there
>You feel kinda guilty when you haven't visited in a few months
>Although you dread them asking 'which one is your girlfriend' yet again.

Is there ways for non Paladins to take vows and gain benefits for it?

Martial Traditions generally include vows with benefits, but that's the only way I know of, and it's 3pp.

No matter the implications, for the record, the PoW devs have gone on record saying you don't need to be an initiator to take part in martial traditions.

Is there a way for paladins to take vows and gain benefits for it?

You have to realize two things. One, pain doesn't make someone interesting. Two, you can be an oddball without having suffered.

Take my character, I've talked about them before. They're autistic. Have trouble with metaphors, worships a dead god, obsessive about cataloguing wildlife, to the point where they'll start documenting animal's features mid battle. You know why they went adventuring? Their parents disowned them for being an Arodaboo, so they had to find some way to make money.

Monks take vows. Paladins take oaths, and no, because paladin oaths modify paladin class features. They're basically archetypes.

DR/Adamantine basically means that by the time it reaches 5 or 10 it no longer works, because you're facing weapons that are
A) Adamantine
B) +5
C) Both
D) All of the above?!?!?

DR: /- or bust.

I thought about a character having a huge debt as the motivation for adventuring. No idea if that means you'd be at negative WBL or if it's just a story thing

Huh, anyone, please?

I'm going to be honest and say no, I've not ever really thought of that. I mean I usually come up with reasons for skills, but coming up with reasons for their relations to be on good terms with their family or past is usually a headache. These are excellent ideas though, and I appreciate it. I kind of like the 'which one is your girlfriend' bit since I tend to play high charisma characters especially since I tend not to play straight characters so the question would be 'who is your boyfriend?' and my character, being a girl, would promptly point to one of the only other 1-2 female characters in the party.

>Cataloging wildlife mid battle
That's adorable.
So if pain doesn't make someone interesting, then what would be some tips you could give me to make overcoming pain and hardship from ones past interesting?

>For Corwin, he'd probably have to be the one to make the first move on Anja

He probably would. Given that the only people in Sandpoint who don't hate/fear him are the Kaijitsu kids (who Corwin kinda as the siblings he never had, and would never make a move on), and, now, Anja

Heh, what's the matter Shitseekers? Having a little schism in the pedophile community?

Can't wait to see you trash gone for good.

At the very least, they have one thing in common; orphans, having grown up without a mother, and their fathers dead.

The important thing is not to brood. Pain in your past helps because it changes who you are in the present. How does that pain change his motivation? Is he an ecoterrorist, out to protect nature at any cost? Does he refuse to use fire because he fears another forest will be burnt? What you can't do is say "I got burnt, so now I'm gonna mope about being burnt."

Our characters would get along

>Starts discussing target material composition and crafting potential after scanning the thing mid-battle
>Is utterly flabbergasted by any relationship more complicated than "they're happy" but will still try to give advice anyways
>Overdesigns all his work because you never know when that full plate will need to land on Mars
>Is looking for dead gods (to stripmine them)

>Pain in your past helps because it changes who you are in the present.

Exactly, this is the thing people don't seem to understand. Don't be a mopey, don't be depressed, don't be angsty. No one wants to listen to you whinge and moan.

Jonas (lastname) is an aspiring hero, donning his plate mail and helm at night to take down the criminals of Sandpoint and beyond. He was born to a Shaonti tribe, and knew nothing beyond his simple life until one day they were destroyed by a group of settlers seeking to "civilize" the area. Most of his tribe was enslaved, he spent his adolescent years in slavery, until a law was passed outlawing slavery and he was released. He quickly built a group of other freed slaves and started a mine. The mine proved extremely profitable, and he rose to be equivalent to a minor noble. His workers were treated as little more than the slaves they had been however, and were not paid quite so well as he was. He found out of a strike they planned, and quickly sold the mine and left the town, finding Sandpoint to be sufficiently far and nice. Now he realizes the error of his past ways and wants to save people, but fears that his wealth would be endangered and thus, wears his armor when doing his heroic acts. In his social identity, he is happy go lucky and fun loving, not having a care in the world other than enjoying life and his gold but in his vigilante identity he is serious, rarely speaking except to roar at his foes.

Thoughts? He is a Faceless Enforcer (Vigilante archetype)/Warlord, will be using Eternal Guardian maneuvers (Because Black Seraph is just too evil, which sucks), an earth breaker to lay down the pain and doing a bit of intimidation during combat. I'll be taking the Bred for War and Extremely Fashionable traits, and the Avarice drawback. If we are using the good version of Heirloom Weapon I'll take that, but if not I'll just take Reactionary or something.

what is the cyphergate?

Forgot to mention, I need a last name for him.
Also hot damn I just realized that's a nice long back story.

>Bred for War and Extremely Fashionable

I fucking love you. As for his name, might want to change it now that he's Shoanti. I'll grab some names to try if you want.

How game breaking would it be if I houseruled that movement counts down like a meter and you can break it up between actions?

So a character who has 30ft of movement can move 10ft make one of its actions and move the rest of the 20ft somewhere else afterwards. The rules for opportunity attacks would remain the same so if a player moves in to attack and tries to step back they'd still have to risk getting it.

Aside from movement everything else would remain the same.

>Accidentally didn't reply
Jesus Christ.

I've seen bigger, but why is there slavery in Varisia when that's not a nation with slaves? Shoanti are firmly established natives and I can't see people just forcefully colonizing them.

As for last names, I'd go for something that complements Jonas, either Brennan or Callahan feel like natural fits.

I was asking to gauge whether it'd be worth dropping the link. No point if I'm 3 days behind the curve. Seems like not, though.

mega.nz/#F!nE0hGIRL!gOFNKfhyFfoLeuJEWzl51g!PVEk3ZzR

It's not his real name, he changed it when he moved towns
It isn't nation wide slavery, it was just in this frontier town. Brennan really does flow, I think I'll go with that.

No see that's the problem.
>coming up with reasons for their relations with their family to be on good terms

With most parents, that's the default. Most parents love their kids and want them to have a good life. Yes they're annoying, yes they're nosy, but they *do* wanna do right by you. Granted we're here in a general where a lot of people are doing some serious escapism from their lives, so the proportion of folks in here who had it fucked up might be higher, but still, overall, you gotta remember that "good terms with your family" is usually basic.

This is especially true if you're a non-noble living in harsher climes and times: For most people on Golarion children are their retirement mealticket, their hope for the future, their legacy, and keeping them fed and finding them a good spouse is the entire fucking reason they've been working so hard for so long. It's an evolutionary trait.

So the sheer number of "orphaned and abused" characters on here sometimes makes one wonder just how many emo preteens are pretending they're 18.

Fair enough. If you need to justify slavers, remember that Varisia borders the Hold of Belkzen, which is always CE orcs.

Which is why NToRacle is good now. His motivation is self improvement.

Thank you

>mfw this is the first time I've made a character and completely forgotten to think about any kind of familial bonds

FUCK, I'M DOING IT AGAIN.

You mean like how movement should have functioned in the first place? it will render a few shitty feats useless, but other than that that seems like a good houserule.

I like Isendere for his last name. Have you thought about his alter-egos name?

>render a few shitty feats useless
>not "remove the need for pointless, shitty feat taxes"

Same thing really.
>Point blank shot
I fucking hate you paizo, just know this.

Oh hey, this guy again.

I was going for more of a "the *British redcoats equivalent* came and took the natives culture, smashed it and them and then built a little town", Orcs could be good though.
Isendere sounds too much like an anime girl type to be honest, like tsundere or something, I think I'll go with Isendare though.
I was thinking he wouldn't name himself, he would just go nameless or accept whatever name was given to him by the townsfolk. Is he too much like a Hellknight? I hope not.
>Point blank shot
I've always given my players this for free, because holy shit that's retarded.

Fuck, I totally forgot about the Order of the Nail.
pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Order_of_the_Nail
Entire point is to subjugate native cultures.

Pretty much. My group tried 5e but after coming from 3.5 we didn't like how few character creation options there were. The one thing we really liked was the movement rule but we think 5e's attack of opportunity rules are retarded when someone can run laps around an enemy can't do anything unless it leaves it's attack radius.

I just thought I'd ask about the house rule in case there was an exploitable thing I didn't think about.

>Be in party
>At least one (maybe two) characters want to kill their mother
>Pretty sure no one else even knows who their father is, one has literally described his mother as being a whore
>The other half of the party was abandoned too young to remember
>Everyone just *stares* after they ask you where you learned that trick and you tell them your parents taught you
How is this my fault?

>Isendare

I like that one better. Townsfolk names are okay but it puts the DM on the spot to name you and you might not like that. If he wants to distinguish himself he can go by (Adjective)knight instead to set him apart from the Order of the Nail, something that puts down savages iirc. Or something like (color)(noun/adjective). Maybe something to reflect his new identity, The Redeemed.

I'm tempted to have him revert to his old self become one of these eventually.
I feel like him naming himself wouldn't really fit his style though, and I like the idea of being a nameless knightly hero. If the GM makes me name him though I'll go with something that will show his new outlook though, I do like The Redeemed.
Also, all the good art has heroes with either no helmet at all or the helmet off God damn it.

This post is too raw, I've been there too much.

favorite story feat?

>Also, all the good art has heroes with either no helmet at all or the helmet off God damn it.

Here try my GDrive. It has tons of art. I know I have helmeted heavy armor types.

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBVU12SWp0MTJSWTA?usp=sharing

I got just what you need, Senpai.

Look up Faraam Armor, look for dat art.

>tfw nobody will have a crush on your character

>browser crashes while editing a mythweavers sheet, but thankfully I save obsessively
>forget that when it does this, it opens up the sheet as it originally was and I have to refresh the page to get the actual version
>fuck up and undo half an hour's worth of edits

FUCK

Does anyone like Ameiko? I played JR for a bit, but couldn't get to like her. And the scenario forced me & other players to like her despite her bing a bitch, even to the point of being a love interest.

And why the hell do PCs have to follow her all the way to Japan? And make her an empress? God JP failed to give me enough motivation to do that for her.

/pfg/ is always the best, thanks guys. Here's the art I was considering making a character of at first.

The very nature of Adventure Paths are Railroady.