WIP - Painting/Converting/Sculpting General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>Previous Threads:
(Last)
(... And Before That)
(Before *That* One)
(Getting Down There)
(One Foot In The Archive)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/TaoTronics-Table-Dimmable-Eye-Care-Charger/dp/B00VX17VWK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1480011410&sr=8-10&keywords=daylight lamp
maplin.co.uk/p/22w-fluorescent-daylight-magnifier-lamp-a29ff
mega.nz/#confirm9ww8u3M0XFQDSBt991uMfpNH34n8Z6EWHxlzKh-4V-YZW-KxvgUAlZfwIZI2Ay9kYXJhbWFndWlnaW5uQGdtYWlsLmNvbQlEYXJhIE1hZyBVaWdpbm5Xj94ZAo92Fw
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobilephotoresizer&hl=en
mega.nz/#F!IJ9GUCRI!QMTl6xiB0DfKpje3bnw94Q
mega.nz/#F!5RUDGCbA!cyfLkXO0v72OTKR_U5cpBA
mega.nz/#F!gANFwCpD!MHhfv7N8EjFKQLzcJEk8xw
mega.nz/#F!VA1UHILL!ktSoKDBlYCOIMNTck3bJOw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

OK, feedback. Trying to figure out how to turn a necrosphinx into a forgefiend. Idea right now is to have the guns floating around connected by wire painted like lightning or some other psychic looking thing

think I went a little far

Whats the point?

If you are doing melee weapons and pistols the poses are mostly open so you can reach each spot easily.

It sounds like a neat idea, I say go for it and worse case remove and try again.

Ended up doing it for the sake of it being honest. All the gubbins hanging off the belts was pissing me off just looking at it and things escalated.

How many chinamen are there? Which one is the best? I know about Zanchui, but I'm curious to know if there are higher quality people.

Zanchui is one of the best but there's hundreds. You can find them via aliexpress and reddit.

CCON is my go to. Has near perfect casts and lately tons of sales. Z may be the cheapest and with the widest selection but tends to be very hit and miss. Miranda Irene is expensive but good quality. Pillpit is expensive but near perfect quality

You going to greenstuff some lightning around the wire? I'm not sure I'd leave it plain. Def a cool concept.

>Miranda Irene
when I googled, I found a website where they sell that stuff, is that their legit site, or do people use email to contact them or something?

Does anyone have any channels they follow? I'm partial to the Apathetic fish, myself.

Looking glorious this far. Please post more pics when it's done

I like Stefan Molyneux and buypainted, very relaxing.

That I don't know. I've never used anyone but CCON and Z. The yoyhammer reddit might have the answer for you though

I like Dr Faust

I mostly look for specific models and if they have other things that look good I watch them. It baffles me that people come on here asking how to paint something but they don't just search youtube and watch a video tutorial. Almost every model in ever color scheme has a youtube tutorial, telling you what colors to use, when and how to use the colors and washes and shows you what the final outcome should be.

Also on the topic of youtubers I hate nextlevelpainting, it pisses me off that he calls every god damn thing a hack. Also his videos are 10% painting 90% jerking off.

Back in my day... About all you had to go on was some 'eavy metal picture off the box or white dwarf.

I started painting before youtube too. I got a games workshop starter kit that had little paint jars and told you how to do faces, cloaks, and leather bags. I kept that little tutorial sheet with me for the longest time and used it for many warbands and armies. I would also save white dwarf tutorials.

But the point is, at this time there is no excuse for not knowing how to paint a miniature.

I was going for more of an electric arc than anything else

>Forgot to post pictures last time

Whoops!

So as you can see, I sort of messed up my Kastelan assembly. I thought I'd use the locking pins for my first one, but accidentally used the feet from one sprue with the legs of another - causing this unstable pose.

Do you think I can still make it work? I'm thinking use green stuff to secure it to the base, then having it pointing its right arm-cannon forward and having the other hanging down, as if its firing while on the move

Your thoughts, chaps?

Also, yeah, I know those mouldlines exist. I've marked them down enough that they shouldn't show after painting it

Does anyone have a paint list for the silver tower

There's probably one on the gw site.

WarhammerTV is the only gospel I follow. All others are man made and apocryphal.

Dr Faust is nice, i also like Tabletop Minions (not a painter though).

oh hell yeah, that looks badass!
roll with it! keep mixing parts, and make your Kastelans greater than the usual ones!

for a boring pontificating old git he is quite listenable yea

Could work, though I would have just mounted them on the arms/shoulders.

Channels i like:

>TheTerrainTutor
>W6-Tabletop
>Next Level painting
>Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy
>Painting Buddha
>Carlos Mendes
>Dr Faust's Painting Clinic
>EonsofBattle
>Modellours Workshop
>Orcpainternerd
>ScaleModelMedic
>Tabletop Minions
>TemplarsCrusade01

It's really going to depend on how the torso sits and the arms are positioned to see how goofy it'll be in the end. Those are some hefty mouldlines and remainders of sprue where you clipped the pieces off though, gat dang.

Hey guys. May be a bit of a silly question but maybe one of you has one of these and can vouch for them. Need a lamp and torn between these 2 which were both recommended
amazon.co.uk/TaoTronics-Table-Dimmable-Eye-Care-Charger/dp/B00VX17VWK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1480011410&sr=8-10&keywords=daylight lamp

maplin.co.uk/p/22w-fluorescent-daylight-magnifier-lamp-a29ff

>Those are some hefty mouldlines and remainders of sprue where you clipped the pieces off though, gat dang.

It's the lighting, trust me. Once its painted you won't even see them

That idea you had before about the arms sounded good

Zanchui is the only one I have the links for. The r*ddit doesn't have any links, for obvious reasons, but I can't find other ones.

mega.nz/#confirm9ww8u3M0XFQDSBt991uMfpNH34n8Z6EWHxlzKh-4V-YZW-KxvgUAlZfwIZI2Ay9kYXJhbWFndWlnaW5uQGdtYWlsLmNvbQlEYXJhIE1hZyBVaWdpbm5Xj94ZAo92Fw

TOTALLY FORGOT that I had blu-tack, so I can practice this pose beforehand

I'll probably have the gun pointed a little lower (want it to be straight, not slightly up like shown) and the head will be looking in the same direction as the pointing gun arm

What do we think now?

How do I go about magnetizing Deldar special weapons so I can swap them between warriors and scourges?

I dunno man, some of those mouldlines (especially on the back of the upper leg) look three dimensional

Have any Dunestriders you could tell me the height of?

The maplin's ok. Has basically 3 height positions and occasionally slips from the highest so if you're really only interested in the lamp aspect maybe not the best.

At that price though it's hard to complain.

Made my Primus up. I need.suggestions for the base, it's sorely uninspired

The most important part is the actual light itself. Will I be able to work and see colours well with it?

Sure, but there's really only 3 positions for the height so maybe the dedicated lamp is superior.

Painting Buddha

(rip, whatever happened)

Anyone have experience painting Infinity miniatures?

Added some green stuff to the base! Finally holding those legs down! Also used a tiny file because was right

Everything else above the waist is still blu-tacked, but I think this can REALLY work!

What do you guys think? Also, should the back mounted weapon be pointing up (like it's holstered) or pointing forward at the same angle as the arm?)

I think it looks good. I'd mount the shoulder weapon pointing in the same direction as the arm, to continue the sense of movement in the model. It looks like it's turning towards an enemy.

Nice painting.
Like the color scheme.
If you are open to suggestions I'd try to find a way to blend the skintone on the face with the chtinous armor plates somehow.
Maybe a gradient from a very light skintone to the regular one, like the light tone echoes the chtinous plates or something.

The basing right now kind of makes me thing underhive.
So I'd expect there to be garbage like strewn about papers or discarded food packagings, empty shellcasings, pices of scrap, puddles of various fluids maybe even toxic sludge and stuff like that.

Cool. I've never really used a daylight lamp before. Do colours look the same or similar as they do under sunlight?

They do! Daylight lamps are made to give out the exact same wavelength of light as sunlight

Most ones you can get in hobby shops also have a magnifying glass built in, which is neat

>rip
Second to last post on facebook mentioned serious illness.
Are you serious or just using hyperbole?

Thanks for the feedback. The chitin transition is under the clothes- my aberrants have a better example. Bony growths as opposed to a steady transotion. Like fingernails.
I like the trash suggestion, I will see what I can do

Also, sorry for the image size. Phone posting at work

THINGS SHALL GET LOUD NOW
FIrst try making a copy of a Noise Marine Sonic Blaster, turned out kinda shit, gonna embed the mold pieces into air drying modelling clay so i can clamp em together the next time.

What model comes with those spoopy exhaust pipes? I really need those for my rhino.

Thanks. Been unable to paint at all lately as it gets dark at like 3 where I live. And I don't a lamp that allows me see clearly. Hopefully with this I'll finally be able to get work done consistently

meant for

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobilephotoresizer&hl=en

>What model comes with those spoopy exhaust pipes? I really need those for my rhino.

The Forgefiend / Maulerfiend kit.

Keep in mind that daylight lamps generally feel a little too blue, having a warmer secondary light will help make it feel more like natural light.

Ccon:
mega.nz/#F!IJ9GUCRI!QMTl6xiB0DfKpje3bnw94Q
[Spoiler][email protected][/spoiler]

> tfw you know how to post spoilers

HeyYou:
mega.nz/#F!5RUDGCbA!cyfLkXO0v72OTKR_U5cpBA

PillPitt:
mega.nz/#F!gANFwCpD!MHhfv7N8EjFKQLzcJEk8xw

Miranda Irene:
mega.nz/#F!VA1UHILL!ktSoKDBlYCOIMNTck3bJOw
But you can find them easily via Google as well

Tbh senpai I'd mount both arms pointing in the same direction.

Plan on buying a big box of nids, gonna post progress through out next year. Might even have fun little games to choose colors, posing, etc.

Good idea!

I'll glue the tacked together bits tomorrow night and finally get a chance to prime spray it on Saturday

You think so f.am? I did ponder it but thought that it'd maybe look a bit lopsided if I did that. This way it kinda looks more plodding, you know?

Maybe angle the left arm outward a little? Right now I think it looks a bit to static compared to the rest of the pose.

Good idea, I'll try that out. Thanks!

You mean like some kind of yellow light also pointing at my workspace?

I'm having some wash related issues at the moment, trying to apply a black wash over a silver basecoat, the wash isn't really running freely over the model and it's just pooling in weird places (e.g. next to a gap/crevice not in it). Anyone have any idea why it's doing this/any idea about how to fix this?

It should be pretty diffuse, it shouldn't be stronger than the daylight lamp, it just needs to contribute a little red basically.
I have a pretty bright daylight lamp to paint by, but the soft warm lights in my room help correct the blue sheen.

Finished set of engineers, i fucked up the varnish so i had to go through them all with agrax earthshade and additional highlights, turned out better than i thought. Gib critique pls

>those colors
>those subtle scratches and battle damage

I love 'em, user. Quick question though, why are they on warmachine bases?

Thanks! I just happen to prefer the aesthetics, i know they divide lots of opinions, especially here. For my orks i keep the basic GW bases though.

look great, I'm curious about why the eyes are different colours though? It sort of reminds me of 3D glasses.

Thanks, just thought it would look cool, also stands out from the rest of the korps.

Any tips for some darker CSM world eaters?

Was thinking basecoat in a deep brown > heavy read > heavy red/ blood red 50 > blood red highlights then agrax earthshade wash as the last step.

Would this maybe be a little too dark? I know a lot of people prefer red washes but I kinda like that grimy look the agrax earthshade gives reds.

Test it out on a spare mini first would be my suggestion, hard to tell untill you see it.

The shoulder gun really balances it out m8. Are you sticking with the stock head?

Yeah The torso + head is already glued in

I don't really know what to paint the faceplate. The standard scratched metal would be nice, but maybe I could do the same green glass as all the eyesockets of my other Mechanicus forces? Put some 'ardcoat on top, make it really shine?

>fuck clicked post too early

Also I kinda like the standard Kastelan look? It gives off such a great 1950s vibe

What would you recommend if I wanted to customise it, though?

Thank you

Inquisitor Zyzz "do you even kill Xenos" Bruh.

Can't tell if this is cool or or gay, but had to figure out a way to cover up those Chaos markings.

>chaos bits
>tits
>beard
>inquisitor

Is it worth doing many steps for the main colour on any kind of marine or are the main areas just to flat for it. Is it better to just stick to a basecoat > wash > main colour > highlight and call it a day?

Depends how good you want your minis to look

Thing is it feels like with marines in particular it takes a lot of time to make the model really pop. There aren't really many areas you can pick out.

remove the green stuff
>inquisitor was tortured by chaos worshipers, even branded his chest
come on, user.

I'm not thinking. I meant to say thanks.

The thing is you can paint in a minimalist way and get spectacular results provided you have the brush control to make it look clean enough.
If you are not a particularly clean painter that can look messy/unfinished though.

Here are a few different ways to paint marines.

Honestly the way you've set yours up looks really good. You could always paint the faceplate as one of those old green computer screens. Also there is a head that gets posted quite a lot in the WIP threads (to lazy to find it) that looks like the inside of the head, so if you did more one could have that head with a hollowed out normal head on his belt like an unworn helmet? How are you going to paint them as well?

Everytime I see one of those I think it's wasted potential not to put a floating brain inside a fish bowl on top of that body.

Bombshell sells kits with brains and fishbowl helmets

Aim the left arm upward for a more dynamic pose

How would that look more dynamic, please?

I wanted it to look like it's aiming one arm and letting the other hang idle

Yeah now that I've seen it with the shoulder gun, I'm inclined to agree with you on the placing of the left arm.

It makes them seem more programmed by a tech adept imo. The distance from prone to aiming is shorter. That and humans do the same thing, since aiming two guns at the same time is nigh impossible but switching between arms really fast is something anyone can do with training.

You mean like this?

...hey that does look a little nicer!

a ?

okay i have a problem im testing my space wolf paint scheme but i REALLY struggle giving it some highlights cause the blue i use may be a little to bright. only got highlight color i can think of is white (maybe a silver ) and inks are not as easy as i like them to be either any ideas ?

Hey look, some updates! After a busy week I finally got some more work done on the art deco robuts, now all I need is to do another eight of these guys, a warcaster, two colossi, three units of smalls, seven heavies, nine lights, and various solos. Also kill me, I'm shaking too much to hold a camera steady