ASMODEE EX-EMPLOYEE ATTACKS 'CONAN: THE BOARD GAME

icv2.com/articles/news/view/36135/asmodee-ex-employee-attacks-conan-the-board-game-alleges-asmodee-threat

>On November 12, the day after she left the company, Cynthia Hornbeck, former Social Marketing Coordinator at Asmodee NA, published a spirited opinion piece on her Tumblr condemning Conan: The Board Game, taking the game’s designers to task for not addressing what she described as original Conan saga author Robert E. Howard’s sexist and racist depictions of women and minority characters.
>Hornbeck’s post seems to have received new attention after an article on Kotaku on Monday recapped her criticisms, along with responses from Monolith.

>In her piece, Hornbeck outlines what she sees as misogynistic and racist depictions in the game’s artwork, storylines, and mechanics. “The image above is the cover of the heroes’ rulebook for Conan,” she wrote. “We see the hero triumphant from battle approaching a prone damsel in jeweled panties and in… distress? Well, she’s not conscious.” The only playable female character in the base game, Belit, is of limited use, she notes. “(H)er mechanical function is to make the men better. That’s literally all she does is follow Conan around and boost his abilities.“

>She feels the designers only muted Howard’s racist portrayal of Conan’s enemies. “Monolith has decided not to reject Howard’s racism, but to attempt to make that racism more palpable by masking it in fantasy,” she wrote. “This is no different than Howard’s decision to translate the peoples he feared and hated into a pre-historic universe where he could defeat and dehumanize them without having to speak their real-world names. The result is not that the racism disappears, but that it remains in play supported by stereotypes and caricatures that belittle actual human beings.”

Said post doctacynthia.tumblr.com/post/153097860054/grab-em-by-the-board-game

What are Veeky Forums's thoughts on this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ahawhXzUV8Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Its 2016. Bitch needs to get with the times.

>Hornbeck has updated her post since it initially appeared on Tumblr to clarify that her recent departure from Asmodee NA had nothing to do with Conan: The Board Game.

Sure it didn't. Cunt's pissed she got shitcanned, nothing more, nothing less.

>What are Veeky Forums's thoughts on this?
None of the races in the Conan stories exist in the real world, because they all diverged and died off when the Ice Age happened.

>2016
>listening to women
>ever

wew lad

Yes, and?
I won't make a boardgame absed on Rome an equalitarian utopia just because slavery is bad.
It's part of the setting, vote with your wallet.
I would have said "go design you own feminist hyborian boardgame", but then I saw the Social Marketing Coordinator bit.

What a trooper. Bitch ain't even working there anymore and she is still giving them tons of free publicity.

I had not even heard about this game until this thread and now I want to buy it.

You should. It has some really cool miniatures, and if the videos of people playing it are any indication it is actually pretty fun.

She's right. Conan's source material has always been super racist and sexiest, but I don't think its wrong for a company to try and decouple that racism into a fantasy setting.
That's literally how every single fantasy setting treats race.
Sexism...yeah can't really argue against that, but I do love me some cheese cake and beef cake.

Howard shaped the fantasy/sword & sorcery genre and therefore by extension D&D and therefore by extension most fantasy games out here. If she hates the guy's works, maybe she shouldn't have considered working in our industry to begin with.

80-90% of the hobby is wish-fulfillment by white guys for white guys. That means by extension white guys in many cases are the heroes (as far as classical fantasy goes), white women the damsels in distress and everyone else an ally, an enemy, or irrelevant. Modeled after medieval myths.
Now, that doesn't mean there isn't any room for women or people of color in a party (doubly so in more modern, non-fantasy settings).

If you don't like white boys' wish-fufillment games, just develop games that cater to your own fantasies and aspirations (ie, SJW: The Feminazing or Shaft: The BBCing). It's that simple. You don't expect Turks to make movies in which Americans or Israelis are the heroes after all; you expect movies in which other Turks are the heroes. That's normal.

It's being true to the source material. She can fuck right off.

>Social Marketing Coordinator
Basically when internet trolls get 'jobs'

To be fair, even as someone who isn't Turkish, I thought that this movie was awesome
youtube.com/watch?v=ahawhXzUV8Q

A couple decades from now, Generation Z shall look at these people and laugh at their stuffiness. I shall be laughing with them.

This. Honestly, from the bottom of my heart.
What would be Howard's work without the racim and sexism?

A) You clearly just posted this to stir up shit with Veeky Forums's neckbeard echo-chamber, so fuck you.

B) I'd actually play the devil's advocate and say Howard's stuff wasn't all that racist. Sure, it has ooga-booga blacks and all the ethnic groups are stereotypes- but that includes the proto-Europeans too. EVERYONE is a savage in the Hyborian Age; that's the whole point.

If anything, Howard should get credit for actually bothering to draw from and include cultures from outside of Europe in his worldbuilding. Most of the old-school fanyasy writers - including Tolkien - did very little if any of that in their works.

I mean, I'll agree with her that Belit shouldn't have been in the base game, considering her whole contribution to the Conan saga is letting Conan plow her on her pirate ship and then getting eaten by some abomination or other. I mean, Valyria was a much better option for the base game than Belit.

>be a sjw
>get hired to do an easy job
>shit the bed because i'm an sjw and competency is impossible
>get fired
>whine about men being sexist, racist, rapists blah blah

Yep, women.

>People complain about a game being racist
"Well ok you fucking sjw make your own game"
>Someone makes a game that caters to their race or gender or whatever the fuck they complained about before
"What the fuck is this SJW pandering bullshit cuck liberal brainwashing"

I mean I understand it can be annoying for someone to complain about your beloved games, believe me I get pretty pissed when someone does it to shit I like, but you guys really aren't giving these people the chance to make their own shit. I've seen way too many people tear down new and creative IPs because it doesn't cater to white men specifically anymore, which in my honest opinion is bullshit. It's honestly a million times better for someone to create their own content with characters they want to see rather than taking the content I've been playing for years and changing it's canon for themselves.

Let people make their own shit and if you don't like it return to what you do like, that simple

welp all this will accomplish is more money for Mythic Battles

Actually, weren't the not-Indians treated remarkably better than any contemporary portrayals of India as land of "2spoopy pagan religions" ?

>Someone makes a game that caters to their race or gender or whatever the fuck they complained about before
>"What the fuck is this SJW pandering bullshit cuck liberal brainwashing"

They *don't* make their own shit, though. They take over other peoples' shit and try to make it appeal to their own sensibilities.

See the comic books industry.

That's because any shit they do make is absolute garbage. It's nothing but pandering and circlejerking about "muh diversity" and "wow, we're so inclusive" without any substance behind it. They cram their games full of their own agenda, act smug about it, and then play the victim card when it inevitably fails because they didn't think to put any actual game in their product.

We don't hate SJW games because SJWs made them. We hate them because they're genuinely bad.

>her Tumblr
>sexist and racist
>misogynistic and racist

kek who cares

Honestly this is what they deserve for hiring a Tumblrite and bowing to the pressure to have a "Social Marketing Coordinator".

This.

That's what you get for letting normies and sjws into your hobby. They turn it into shit, then blame theit customers for not being like them.

So then...why do you care? why do you care if they fail or whatever? just stick to your own shit?

If some prick on the beach is making a shitty sandcastle and starts crying about how bad it is, that really is not my problem, not gonna go over there and tell him he's bad like the children you are

But....they DO make their own shit.....I don't know if you children realize this but the 'SJWs' aren't some unionized army of pink hair landwhales come to play the industry like a shadow puppet....literally anyone can have these 'SJW' morals....Best example I can think of is 'Dishonored' which is not only run by a bunch of 'SJW feminazi' whatever the fuck you call it...but is also like, an actually good product

>dishonored
>good

What world am I living in?

Damn you totally just owned me with your le epic greentext opinions

down for the count boys, give me a small funeral

Because when they fail they demonize the hobby and everyone associated with it. Using your own example, it's like someone making a sandcastle on the beach, and then when no one likes it they go around telling everyone that everybody who builds sandcastles are racist/homophobic/promoting rape culture/whatever.

That's why I care. They do not have the right to vilify me and my hobby because it refuses to change to suit their insane demands.

It's a good game. Some people will call me an asshole for this, but I'll take a good game over a socially progressive one every day.

She's wrong about Belit though. She kicks so much ass and has her own personal army, plus the full game has loads of awesome female heroes. Yes, most of them aren't wearing many clothes, but neither are the men, and I don't view expressions of perfectly natural human sexuality as harmful to anyone.

That being said, the game does have actual issues. The core rulebook was really badly done and they've yet to include any guiidelines for modifying scenarios, which isn't great in terms of replayability.

Calm down reddit it was just some light shitposting.

Man....you really painting a strawman argument here...

Nobody is saying you're literally hitler if you're a virgin nerd who throws dice at tables, more like they're saying you're a dick for not letting them be part of the fun with stuff that caters to them as well

Wow, I can't believe I'm being called a redditor by someone who just threw a greentext at me on Veeky Forums of all places

You guys really are shit flinging children here huh

You're getting baited hook line and sinker you fucking idiot, stop it.

>The only playable female character in the base game, Belit, is of limited use, she notes. “(H)er mechanical function is to make the men better. That’s literally all she does is follow Conan around and boost his abilities.“
That does sound pretty boring.

You have to go back.

it's also wrong.

how is conan racist?

>strawman
Judging by OP's post, it's not a hypothetical scenario at all.

And why should anyone in the hobby cater to a group who are not interested, or even outright hate, said hobby?

>plus the full game has loads of awesome female heroes.
so she is downright lying?

Conan board game sounds cool as fuck. How much is it?

That fat cunt can go fuck herself. Anyone who wants to buy a Conan game already knows and is most likely okay with the setting and what they're getting into.

captcha: moor farm

Why would they address his sexist and racist depictions, when that's one of the things that are great about his books?

I love that they were pretty faithful to the written works, it's what sets it apart from all the clones.

I should probably clarify- I'm not against progressive games. I'm a liberal, and I consider it a positive thing if a game has a diverse cast and draws influence from interesting and underused cultures or mythologies and such. All of those are good things.

But above and beyond all else, good mechanics and solid gameplay are what matter, first and foremost. It's why I think a lot of attempts at 'progressive' games fail, they market themselves purely on being progressive and then fail because the supporting mechanics just weren't very good.

Meanwhile, there are loads of great games out there which also happen to have diverse casts, progressive themes and other such things, and people don't hate on them nearly as much because, what do you know, they're actually good fucking games. If it's fun to play, people will play it.

Is it? Well heck. What does she contribute, then?

Well, she's right that the core box only has Belit, but there are loads of extra female heroes in the pipeline, and her comments on Belit's role in the game are at best extremely ignorant.

Every hero in the game is capable of fighting and utility actions, along with having a few abilities that give them interesting tricks they can make use of. Belit is quite a balanced character, by no means bad at combat but also better at utility stuff than Conan, so she's excellent at going after objectives- The scenarios are all story based, so just killing stuff is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

Her abilities are supportive, but it's a very active kind of support. She has a group of followers who will throw themselves onto her enemies swords and fight like tigers to protect her, and she can use those same leadership skills to buff her allies if need be. She's a really strong and enjoyable character to play, possibly my favourite of the core set.

The stories themselves really aren't - Howard was just pretty blunt with how he described people and their ethnicities, but it was never really implied that any one race was better than any other in the stories. The feminazi in the OP is just mad that Conan is a muscled, badass white dude who slays people in droves. Really, Howard had more of a hard-on for primitives being better than civilized folk than he did about race.

Now saying the stories are a bit sexist I can kinda see (if you're the kinda faggot who gets offended at Frazetta's artwork having naked chicks in it but love to gloss over the fact that he drew more naked men than he did women), but there were plenty of strong, capable women in Howard's stories too, and you have to look at the time frame these were all written in. Plus, Conan was actually very respectful to women most of the time.

I would say that we generally are giving such people a fair chance, though. I mean, when they actually manage to produce something that is NOT noticably politicized in someway, we'll actually give their work the credit it deserves.

Case in point: Mortasheen. Granted, the Mortasheen threads here will usually get some posts in the vein of "Man, fuck that SJW asshole Wojcik" - but those are a distinct minority, because Wojcik usually keeps his politics out of his writing most of the time.

>because it doesn't cater to white men specifically
That's a serious misunderstanding on your part. The target audience isn't actually what matters here. People don't hate SJWs and SJW-ish fictons because of 'lack of white man appeal' or anything - a lot of people hate them because they see that they're a little too full of SJW ideas and buzzwords.

And why do SJWs set them people (including a lot of non-white, non-male individuals) off so much?

That's actually quite easy: SJWs have a horrible attitude. With them, it's always "you ought/you should/you must". They're always out to shame and guilt trip people. They're always acting in bad faith. And their attitude is very much "The personal is political". They are, in a word, toxic.

And let's not kid ourselves here - in recent years, the "nerd" subcultures have been catching plenty of flak from toxic 'progressives' who felt the need to publically criticize 'us' and our hobbies. There really is something of a conflict going on between people who are aggressively pushing for 'progressive' values in fiction, and people who actually *don't* like to have any political bullshit invading their hobbies.

Because of that conflict, a lot of people have become, well, allergic to anything that reeks of SJW notions.

If you actually read Conan, is not racist until you want to make it racist. Compare it to good old Lovecraft, now there is racism... And if "women are used for sex" is sexist then kill yourself because that's the fucking world (sadly).

And Conan himself manages to be sometimes a decent guy and sometimes a murderer and a rapist. He is not a "hero" and playing this game is not defending Conan himself.

how come I already knew what the complaints would be about before I even opened the thread??

I loved Dishonored and I dont think is run by crazy feminazis. More probably they are just, you know, regular feminists that you dont have to be angry about.

I mean if they were like that the game would be different.

Well I dont remember Belit actually doing anything apart from commanding the blacks scared of her, dancing, planning, and having sex.

I mean, she was a terrible (as in scary) wolf of the sea but if its a dungeon crawl (I dont know) it makes sense for her being a warlord that boost other guys. Conan was always on the frontline apart from doing that.

That sounds really really fitting with the books. Im interested now.

This.

(Conan was a little bit of a white knight sometimes, and others he just wanted to rape you so hard he did amazingly epic things to do it).

this
many of Conan's adventures take place far outside NotEurope anyways, and Howard took the time to develop these Eastern cultures far more than anyone else.

>All these sjw's will be looked upon as stuffy old fogies
KEK of Truth
this

I think that was one time when the Norse spirit literally wooed him with magic to make him horny enough to chase her through the snow for hours so he'd be led into her ice giant brothers. She just didn't count on Conan being a fucking badass and wrecking their shit. IIRC she got away before she could get raped by him.

Well yeah. She's completely right. The original stories are racist and sexist and the game fully embraces the sexism and ineffectually tries to mask the racism. This should not be at all controversial, it's just blatantly obvious.

The game is actually a less progressive interpretation of Conan than the over thirty years old film.

>le lovecraft racism maymay

>"What the fuck is this SJW pandering bullshit cuck liberal brainwashing"
this is fine. it's fine to bash games. what is not fine is trying to make other people change the games they publish to fit your world view. it's not like neckbeards here are trying to mount pressure to make drivethrurpg drop SJW-friendly RPGs.

>I mean I understand it can be annoying for someone to complain about your beloved games
it's okay to complain. when SJWs try force their values into other games, that's when they need to be beheaded, quite frankly, famalam.

>which in my honest opinion is bullshit
no, roasting products you don't like is fine. trying to mess with the business of publishers who produce stuff you find offensive is not.

>But....they DO make their own shit.....
fine with me. if i see it and dont like it, ill diss it here. but i am not trying to stop it or insert a mysoginist Conan as heroic protagonist into their official SJW settings.

That she is ignorant of the facts and is undeservedly demeaning something baselessly? All to push her ideology and vent her frustrations at being fired??
I think we nailed the real issue, user, don't you?

Well, not really. I mean, she was caught and in tears cried to his father (a god) who zapped here away. But she was about to be raped.

Of course, she had tried to lure Conan into his death.

Have you tried reading them still of sharing sad memes on the internet?

hold on, women have been playing RPGs ever since. the question is what the official content is like. it's mostly geared towards white boys. while every publisher can shift that at their own discretion (and peril), why try to coerce/brainwash publishers into doing that rather than produce setting in which women or people of color are the heroes by default?

Because there are not enough female hobbyists to sell shit to, frankly.
There are so many basic bitches out there.

what does ANA have to do with Conan

Explain how the stories are racist and sexist.

Read 'em all, user; perhaps you should learn the difference between actual racism and the literary effect of 'fear of the unknown other'.

He can't because they're not. Just a meme that kids tell themselves.

>Hornbeck
>Tumblr
>Whining about women and minority characters

Are these people so stereotypical on purpose?
Fuck her, this just teaches companies (or should if they were well managed) not to hire anyone who doesn't love the IP they'll be working on as it is. Faggot useless jews that care more about their globalist social domination plot can go fuck themselves and work on their own IPs that are not few or far between.

Every named woman in Conan is a beacon of virtue in a decadent world, a hardass or an according to keikaku type. That almost every single one desires Conan in particular is not sexism.

Entirely white, safe and forgotten.
Conan is awesome because it depicts a world culture where everyone is the worst they can be because the land itself is that harsh and wants you dead, not comfortable enough to think about the feelings of people you've never met but hear are threaded different because they're slightly darker.

Howard is one of the few authors of his time who treated different races with any semblance of equality, you don't get to complain about discrimination just because they were all equally barbaric.

>See the comic books industry.

If you have even the smallest iota of actual knowledge you would know that that is not even a tenth of the problems that's wrong with the comics industry and in all likelihood the problems began before you even started READING comic books assuming you fit the relative average age on this website.

Name a single game that was made with high "minority" representation just because they wanted these people as protags/npcs and cared about their culture, and not just to blackface of "white" settings.

SJWs are so shit because they don't really care about minorities, they don't want to take a stroll through fantasy India, or the Aztec empire, much less put a foot, even a fantasy foot, in Africa. They want to force tokens into their safespace everyday modern culture and act like everyone truly is a blank slate and has no cultural and intellectual pursuits of their own forged by their growing up in a different culture.

They're not multiculturalists, they're homogenists. And that must be fought against, specially by people who cherish fantasy.

This.
In the world of falsehood (ie internet journalism) Marvel is thought of as the "diverse" company, while DC are the evil conservatives.
In reality DC has more female, non-heteronormative and minority characters being actually written about, given panel-space and even appearing in merchandise than Marvel does.
And now, after 4 games of playing the pandering game, Marvel is selling less than DC for the first time since 1968. Because tumblr doesn't buy comics and they've completely destroyed their roster by replacing their frontliners with pandershit characters they don't even believe in enough to promote in merchandise.

But it's all good because kotaku and themarysue think they're they good guys. Sure damn worthy.

Belit is one of the best squad-leader type characters I've ever played in a crawler/TBS game, this bitch is retarded.

>This guy suffers from cancer and the flu
>"YEAH WHY ARE YOU FOCUSING ON THE CANCER SO MUCH OKAY HE'S HAD THE FLU A LONG TIME"

Near and far

Exactly. Howard actually makes a point of Conan sticking up for the persecuted Asura worshipers as king; his argument is that unless they're sacrificing people or practicing black magic, people should be able to worship what gods they want. The Asura worshipers play a huge role in restoring him to the kingship.

I'll grant that the portrayal of blacks tends to be kinda ooga-booga spear-chucker, but that's about it.

Diamond distribution and a declining readership are indeed cancer compared to the SJW flu

Back to /co/mblr

why should the opinions of modern puritains mean anything when it coems to great wroks like those of Howard?

who cares if he was racist or not? I would never seek to remove any "racist" elements it would gut the story.

Women made up some of the most strong and capable characters in Conans stories and there are several stories where Conan bros it up with "Minorities." Also Whites make up some of the most infamous villains. I really don't think she read these books.

Conan is notoriously about strength and individual will, it makes collectivists angry as fuck

>Also Whites make up some of the most infamous villains.

Eh...sort of? Usually only in areas where whites were predominant anyway. I'm trying to think of the original Howard stories' most memorable villains, and what I'm coming up with are...

- Xaltotun, from The Hour of the Dragon. A mummy/wizard thing from ancient Acheron, his race is never explicitly mentioned, nor is the racial ancestry of the people of Acheron, who are not mentioned in Howard's "Hyborian Genesis" essay and were invented solely for the Hour of the Dragon novel.

- Tolkemec and Tascela from "Red Nails". The former was part of the Xuchotil race and therefore kind of Aztec/Maya/Nahuatl (so Native American), while the latter was some kind of vampire lady of Stygia and so Arabian.

- A nameless shaman of Jhebbal Sag, who was a Pict. The Picts are explicitly referred to in an earlier story (The Black Stranger) as never being referred to as a White race by Cimmerians, though it's ambiguous as to whether or not they're actually white (most art portrays them as Native American-like, though the historical Picts were a Scottish people)

- The Master of Yimsha, from People of the Black Circle. His race is not explicitly identified but he's most likely Indian/Himalayan, given where he lives.

I have to agree, for what was essentially a Texan NEET in the 1920's, Howard did a pretty good job including and showing other cultures in his writing.

There was some stereotyping and things going on but I think it is unlikely Howard had access to sources that weren't seriously biased to begin with and thinking back I would say he went to so effort to show there was good and bad people no matter their origin of race, culture, social position, sex or religious affiliation.

>Women made up some of the most strong and capable characters in Conans stories

Eh. Really only three: Bêlit from Queen of the Black Coast; Yasmena from People of the Black Circle; and Valeria from Red Nails.

But of those three, Bêlit exists solely as a love interest for Conan. She commands a pirate crew but never raises a sword herself, and her character is wholly defined by her lust for Conan from the moment she lays eyes on him. She exists only to die.

Yasmela has a much better story arc unrelated to Conan (she wants to avenge the death of her brother), but exists solely as a princess in distress for the most part, someone for Conan to kidnap (and thereby put in distress) and later save from the Master of Yimsha, whom she is powerless against.

Only Valeria can really be described as both strong and capable; she gets into a few binds and needs help out of them, but herself helps Conan out of a few binds as well. Her actions are independent of Conan. She also holds the distinction of being the only human being who Conan notes he would be hesitant to fight sword-to-sword, as much because he's not certain that he'd be able to win as because he doesn't want to hurt Valeria.

So really, only Valeria of the Red Brotherhood is a strong and capable woman. And even SHE ultimately needs rescuing from the clutches of Tascela and Olmec.

>Ctrl+F "sjw"
>26 matches

I was expecting to see more /pol/ than this. Is the post-election crowd finally starting to pull out of Veeky Forums? For good, I hope.

This
Any work that puts the character's success entirely in his/her own hands and celebrates their effort is evil patriarchy propaganda for these people.

It isn't like there are many men that do much better than those women you list in Howard's stories. Almost everyone other than Conan himself is a temporary one-shot character to hinder or help him (or both) in the given stories.

Howard's Conan stories do no have a wealth of super developed characters who we see grow and change over years like in Game of Thrones or even Lord of the Rings.

>there are several stories where Conan bros it up with "Minorities."

Didn't Conan murder a gay villager in one of the films? I may be thinking about another action film from the '80s.

Isn't the Master of Yimsha described as very handsome? I pictured him as a high-caste indian or arab. Then again I pictured the black circle mages as jewish caricatures because they were described as pretty much vulture people.

>It isn't like there are many men that do much better than those women you list in Howard's stories.

First one to pop into my mind is Balthus. And Slasher, a friggin' dog.

Having said that, I understand and take your point - but the issue is that it doesn't change my point, that being that Conan doesn't exactly have a glut of strong, capable women. That they lack strong, capable men as well doesn't change that.

>readership declines
>Never thinks to question why

lol

See, fucking Conan.