VeloCITY - The Wind in Your Hair

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. This is Mr. Blue Sky, lead (read: only) developer for VeloCITY, the Jet Set Radio-inspired homebrew about shredding asphalt and shredding turntables.

1d4chan.org/wiki/VeloCITY

Long time, no see. And boy, do I have an update for you guys.

This is version 1.3, and this is by far the most significant set of changes to the rules ever since the game as we know it was first introduced. After talking with some old players and going through notes, some significant changes were made to the stats used in the game, which has rammification across the entire document. Here's the short version:
>Strength, Agility, Balance and Grit are now known as movement stats and are directly tied and synchronized to their respective core stat (Body, Speed, Mind, and Soul respectively). Upgrading the core stat automatically upgrades the movement stat.
>With the new substat vacancies, there are four new substats to take their place.
>>BODY - Resilience: The damage resistance stat, separate from Stamina
>>BODY - Brawl: The dedicated melee to-hit stat, separate from Coordination
>>SPEED - Stealth: Self-explanatory
>>SPEED - Larceny: Less-than-legal skills, like breaking-and-entering, pickpocketing, sleight-of-hand, etc.

As mentioned, this has rammifications across the entire document, so changes have been made accordingly to accomodate, on top of some additional mechanics clarified and with changed formulas. Changes include natural healing rate, how much energy you can spend, how much Style you can save, and the combat rules, among others. With the new stat line, most of the example characters have been removed, and Tomahawk is the sole sample character again. You'll notice this made the document tiny again, so now I can post it on Veeky Forums directly again.

I apologize for the radio silence for a long time, but I'm glad I could come back to you with something so monumental. Read through the whole thing, let me know what you think, and enjoy!

>velocity
>update

Well, I'm not american, but I'm glad thanksgiving exists.

Thanks mate.

I will admit that most of my time was taken up by the job hunt, but now I've got something stable and super convenient, so it's a massive load off my shoulders.

Nice. I haven't played, but I've been following the development because the idea is just too cool. Keep at it Mr. Blue Sky.

What do you like about it?

Haven't read your new version yet, but I just like the game because it's something unique. You've got a specific idea in mind that is executed with rules directly supporting the gameplay style and feel so well. I'm particularly a fan of the perks system that really adds personality to the characters by having the players naming and writing them from scratch which really emphasizes the "be who you wanna be" attitude.

I dunno how to really explain it. You've got a solid game just bursting with flavour and that flavour is well expressed. It's like Engine Heart in that world presented makes me want to play in it and that counts for a lot.

IT IS TIME.

Well, I'm glad you like it and appreciate the vote of confidence.

Hey Mr. Blue Sky, I've got a question about the Guard rules. If the defender guards, what does the attacker roll against? 0? 10? Because that affects degrees of success.

When I played it, we decided to skip attack roles when guarding because it wasn't clear, but this version make it sound like you do roll attack.

Where can I find the most current copy of the rules/game?

Also, specifically curious: how is initiative handled in VeloCITY?

The OP is a pdf.
You roll your reaction stat for initiative.

You don't roll anything during the attack test as a defender; you just get a bonus to resist the damage test. If anything, the attack test could determine how much bonus damage to resist against.

You can always at any time find the latest edition of the rules on the 1d4chan page listed in the OP.
The book explicitly says initiative is a Reaction test.

>If anything, the attack test could determine how much bonus damage to resist against.
So it sounds like you're leaving it up to the GM to decide the DC of the attack test.

To an extent. I mean, it's not like you're trying to avoid the attack if you're guarding, just minimizing damage. Technically, the attacker won the attack test with a minimal margin, since they were able to hit you without contest.

Velocity is a beautiful thing.

Would this be compatible with an Air Gear setting?

And now i'm wishing i'd started reading before i asked
My bad

Not merely compatible, but highly encouraged. It's explicitly mentioned in the book as an example of a high-powered campaign.

Dude, you are awesome
Got back into Air Gear recently, and i've been itching to do something with it

I hope you're able to make the most of it.

Yes! Updates always welcome.

Glad to hear you're stable and set. Any amount of stress removed is always a nice healthy breather.

Still need to convince friends to get a game going though.

Thanks, and good luck with that.

2-in-1 obligatory Comfy Diner post and late-night bump

Thanks Mr Blue Sky, you the best.

Quesion, if I want to make an Air Gear based campaign using this system how can I make things like roads and Regalia?
I'm asking because I'm not sure what to use for that.

I'm not as intimately familiar with Air Gear, but if I had to make a guess, then Regalia would be a rare emblem you could slot into your gear. It starts off weak and not doing much, but the more you use it, the more of a bonus you get that ramps up over time. Eventually, you can acquire specific powers from it that let you do exceptional techniques.

Well in the anime/manga the Regalia are a special pair of wheels that you attach to your rollerblades. So I guess a special item gear thing could work.
Thank you ^^

I feel it goes without saying, but this new update renders all previous versions of the game incompatible; you need to update and get the new version.

>mfw Tomahawk
jesus christ girl cover up sheesh

Anyways good job! I really dig it and I'll try making a character as soon as I get home.

I would like to see examples of characters with the new statline, yes.

That's just Tomahawk doing a pinup for her paintball team's calendar.

If I want to make a skill that designates as target a character that's stronger than the user, what do I write?
A character whose combined stats and substats points is superior to the user's combined stats and substats points?

Underdog?

No, like, I mean, is
>A character whose combined stats and substats points are superior to the user's combined stats and substats points
Understandable and correct?

It's a jumble to read. It may just be cleaner to say "a character of a higher tier than another character." It's super broad, but it gets the point across.

yeah, I was assuming you wanted a name for the user skill. designate that target is simply "greater" or "Better"

Yeah, I'll do that. I just wanted to be specific is all

Why do you ask?

I'm making a character for fun and wanted to know...? Like what do you mean by that?

Just wondering.

How far have you gotten?

Glad to hear things are looking up for you Mr. Blue Sky I'm actually hoping to run a one-shot of VeloCITY for my regular group sometime in the near future so I'm stoked to see this revision.

Hope your Thanksgiving was a happy one.

What sort of story do you plan on telling?

I don't know how I didn't notice this before, but how does she ride that board when her helmet is tied to the underside of it?
Kinda reminds me of pic related.

...She takes it off and puts it on, user.

Nice to see an update

also some music to set the mood
jetsetrad.io

>that update
Whelp, guess it's time to give Ogre a tune-up!

Out of curiosity, is there a character sheet designed for this game?

There was, but since we have a new statline, it's basically defunct, so it's not included in this version. I'm no good at designing that sort of thing.

Here's the old pre-update sheet, for point of reference.

I haven't had the chance to do more than glance over some of the changes.

Is there anything else that needs to be changed?

Fellow homebrewer here, I have a few questions.
If the movement and main stats are equal and linked, why are they even categorically separated?
2.Is there any way you could be prodded to release a version that is fluff-free and just goes over the mechanics?

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!

Because the movement stats function as substats for the purpose of testing, and you still have unique tests that are done with those specific tests or have perks and other effects that can affect those stats. The difference now is that you essentially get those stats for free and don't have to spread yourself to other stats and not make yourself a completely useless mover. This is a change that came strictly from other players testing the game and being one of the main balancing hangups.

Other anons have attempted to create "lite" versions of the document, but if you need the absolute minimum to run the game, then you need the chargen chapter and the mechanics chapter.

A pair of newly-sprouted Black Roses.

But seriously, is there anything else that needs to be changed on this ?

Resilience is misspelled.

That's all I can immediately think of, other than make the division between core stat and movement stat slightly clearer.

If the movement stat is directly derived from the core stat, wouldn't it make more sense to simply have a movement modifier on that stat (+/- n rather than listing a number that will often be the same as the one next to it)

I don't follow.

Strength, Agility, Balance and Grit are, according to the OP, synchronized with the core stats. Why do they need to be listed separately on the sheet aside from the test distinction of a Body-based Movement test being "Strength" rather than just Body? It makes more sense to me to list a modifier for when you have modifiers to that sort of thing than to state it's a separate stat despite being the same most circumstances.

I meant make it slightly more obvious which is the core stat and which is the movement stat.

Oh, I shouldn't have responded directly to that specific post. I wasn't referring to the visual distinction on the sheet. I was referring to the systematic distinction. If your Strength score is always equivalent to your Body score, then listing them as separate stats is redundant (and honestly a little confusing). Especially the way it is on the sheet where you have both names but only one value - what that says is "these are the same thing but we'll use both names" which is pretty eugh.

It would make more sense to do away with the movement stat names entirely and simply term it as being a movement test based on Body/Mind/Speed/Soul. If there's any modifiers from skills or gear to "Strength" it's now a modifier to Body-based movement tests, since "Strength" as an independant value no longer exists.

Those movement stats, formerly substats, are very specific. They're granular enough to provide for specific tests. Just saying "make a Soul movement test" makes no sense to me, as no one immediately knows what you're referring to. Plus, managing the core stats themselves is important, as it influences all the other movement/substat tests. By distinctly recognizing between the core stat and the movement stat, there's no confusion what people are referring to.

The redundancy is pretty confusing m8

For what it's worth, the book still makes direct references to Strength, Agility, Balance and Grit tests, as those are still important to the system. The rule changes made it so it's way easier to acquire those stats and not have to fuss about it, since those were considered the four most important mover-related stats.

Yes, and now a new player to the system is asked to make a Strength test and you have to have a redundant entry on the sheet to remind them what it is since it's not a distinct stat anymore. Saying "its value is just equal to your Body value" will only make them question why you called it Strength at all. If the text of the book is saying "use a Strength test for this" you get the same situation - they go check what their Strength value is, see it's just their Body value and hate you for making them check. All it says to me that the book still references them when they've been stripped of any discrete function is that you didn't rewrite the passages referring to them, which is never gonna come off as a good thing no matter how it's justified.

Can the same be said for Mind/Balance and Soul/Grit?

Plus, you can still make perks that directly reference those movement stats.

Mechanically, yes, which is what I'm referring to. If the two things have the same value, and always have the same value, they shouldn't be separate. Body and Strength aren't thematically the same - if anything Body is closer to Stamina in its implication than Strength. Speed and Agility aren't even remotely the same thing (and in fact most of the substats of Speed are more relevant to Agility). But you're tying their values together while insisting they're different. If they're so different and it's so important they're separate, they shouldn't be synchronized at all.

I feel as though I can't possibly be being clear enough here, so let me say I don't disagree with the decision in terms of its intent. It's perfectly legitimate to want players not to fall behind in important stats and helps with allowing players to build balanced characters instead of minmaxed golems. I'm saying it's a poorly implemented change and will only confuse people new to the game as to why it's written like that at all.

ayyy mr. big sky you're still alive

At least get the name right.

like this?

Just like that.

Any tales from people actually running this game?

>Veeky Forums
>Actually playing or running games

Who knows, maybe someone got some pod cast assholes to give it a run, or those YouTube roleplaying guys.

Me and a few others, including the artist who drew
and pic related, played two or three years ago and did storytimes for each session.

We tried to pick it back up, but between increasing work loads and a few broken ties, we couldn't get it going again.

The Shinigami were the original Team Skull

Can I make this guy a character?

Absolutely

Make him a runner with perks that give him bonuses to reach while wielding a cane, or something to that effect.

Yeah, I'm thinking runner or maybe bike while using a penny farthing

Can you even run a half-pipe on a penny farthing?