EDH/Commander General

Commanders You've Never Fucking Heard Of Edition

Previous: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hey-i-need-to-borrow-your-deck/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yidris-and-waifu-force/
youtube.com/watch?v=0ZG11UBoj-o
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/vp-commander-challenge-deck/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-11-16-lord-of-war/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The other day i heard some user was trying to make a clone tribal/copy spell deck so that their deck would always have an appropriate power level.

I also remember a different user asking for a deck that let them control as much of another persons deck as possible to piss off turbo autists that won't let you touch their decks/spent a lot of money on the decks.

Can i get a decklist/status update on the projects. They've been stuck in my head the past few days.

Does Alesha fit into Zurgo Helmsmasher? What would she target? I'm thinking she could be useful to fetch Burnished Hart and Silent Arbiter perhaps but I'm not sure if she's worth including.

the guy who does the judge thread seems to have fucked off for over a week now

anyone know what happens when a manifested card becomes a copy of another creature? can you still flip it?

forgot pic

Well that would depend on the Zurgo list, wouldn't it?

>Does Alesha fit into Zurgo Helmsmasher?
Not really. Alesha is better at the helm

>shit commanders edition
okay

Bitch I know Iname.

Not the user you were talking about, but I actually tried my hand at a clone/copy deck once, here's my list while you wait for the other user. It hasn't been updated in a while, so I bet there's new stuff you could use

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hey-i-need-to-borrow-your-deck/

That's just a count of people dumb enough to not throw Iname away

I'm not the judge guy but I know this one. face down/face up is a status like tapped/untapped or phased in/phased out. a face down card is always a vanilla typeless 2/2 and cannot be modified to become something else

>707.10. If a face-down permanent becomes a copy of another permanent, its copiable values become the copiable values of that permanent, as modified by its face-down status. Its characteristics therefore remain the same: the characteristics listed by the ability or rules that allowed it to be turned face down. However, if it is turned face up, its copiable values become the values it copied from the other permanent. See rule 706.3.

if you morph it while the "copy of something else" effect is still happening, it will flip up as that copy of something. it's pretty silly.

if you had zurgo with a bunch of small helper creatures like say hatebears, battlecry, and battalion instead of a more typical equips and boardwipesl voltron.

>a face down card is always a vanilla typeless 2/2 and cannot be modified to become something else
well that's not necessarily correct, auras/equipment and counters can modify it

In the case of manifest then, I pay the copied creature's cost to flip it? and if it wasn't a creature before, it can still be flipped as a copy of that creature?

there's a rule that specifically says non-permanents cant be turned face up

>701.32e If a manifested permanent that’s represented by an instant or sorcery card would turn face up, its controller reveals it and leaves it face down. Abilities that trigger whenever a permanent is turned face up won’t trigger.

Hey guys if you could give some feedback on this yidris deck. Specifically I need more practical waifus and synergies.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yidris-and-waifu-force/

.32e If a manifested permanent that’s represented by an instant or sorcery card would turn face up, its controller reveals it and leaves it face down.
What if you flicker it?

>400.4a If an instant or sorcery card would enter the battlefield, it remains in its previous zone.

So it stays exiled?
Fuck, that means I misplayed last week with my Brago deck. That's a pain. Thanks anyway.

>meren

for what purpose

Thanks, noted.
This is my first Mardu deck. I'm just making it out of stuff I have lying around but it's mostly wipes and noncreature stuff: it's supposed to be voltron.
In general, should I be more worried about ramp or card draw?

It's entirely personal preference, but I'd worry more about ramp. Black is one of the best colors for draw, usually in exchange for life, but ramp is tougher in those colors

youtube.com/watch?v=0ZG11UBoj-o

get creatures back, abuse sacrifice mechanics

She's like a tamed back lifeline, which I would like to make a pretty central piece.

Help /edhg/

Should I do Yidris or Vial Smasher+Kydele?

Yidris.

Be a bro and run my main man Vial Smasher.

I play commanders to drastically change how I'd make and play my deck.

All the partner cards just seem to have such minor effects that you end up with a completely generic deck within specific archetypes.

Yidris on the other hand is "ALL the cascade!", which is pretty gamechanging.

Just my 2 cents.

>man

Pretty much share the same thoughts for partners. Although to me at least Vial Smasher was a bit of an exception to the rule, gotta admit I was pretty enamoured with the whole "Russian Roulette" idea, where you give her infect then cast something 10+ cmc to kill someone.
Of course, Yidris seems pretty damn fun too, although I'm having way too tough of a time figuring out how to build him, I'm purposely staying away from Chaos because chaos is for fags, and Storm because I dont wanna have to take the deck apart after 2 or 3 games cause of hate.

Yidris is storm tho

No need to go for any creature shenanigans when you can win the game with one combat step.

I know right? Fucking disgusting, almost triggered me as much as when shitlords call Gonti a he.

So with all the overtime this holiday season I wanted to pick up a new deck specifically for my groups multiplayer games.

I will keep it simple:

Boros or Azorius and why?

Aurellia and Brago are already taken

I get the storm angle, but I just want to play value creatures and fuck with cascade

But he is gender neutral, get fucked.

Or to specify before you flip out, it can be used as gender neutral too*

Do you want to be the guy who watches other people play and maybe once or twice do something relevant, before losing to a sweeper?

Boros.

Do you want to be the guy who impacts the game and is constantly something that other players have to take into account?

Azorius.

What kind of decks do you play now?

How competitive are you playing?

If you haven't heard of them you wouldn't have been able to post them. Checkmate, atheists.

Fair enough, I am a bit worried about making another blue deck.

Our Aurelia player does well for himself with boros but thats because no one else wants to play control.

I am torn between gwafa because pillowfort seems "fun" and hanna ship's navigator

>What kind of decks do you play now?
Talarand, Phenax, Jhoira, Ezuri CoP and eladamri

>How competitive are you playing?

Slightly above table top, no good tutors, hardly any boardwipes (besides Jhoira).

I had to sit my group down and address their lack of removal because no one would bring any but theyve gotten a bit better.

I think maybe two or three out of the ~20 decks in the group that I don't own have counterspells in them.

Wow after considering this trash heap so many times I somehow never noticed the "from your hand" clause. This thing is hot garbage. Life aspect as far as I can tell is awful too but death aspect is actually pretty good. I run a list that has every mono black spirit worth running (and some that aren't) that just spends all day recurring them and sacing them until it wins. It's been pretty fun so far but would probably be garbage 1v1

This is the prototype for a deck that is supposedly representative of /vp/, that is, creature focused, with an emphasis on Mana Ramp and Creaure buffs. Your basic Ramp up the Fatties Deck. We'll be using this in conjunction with another sister deck in a major event for the Winter Ball.

Anyway, using my extremely limited abilities as a deck-builder I managed to create this first draft.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/vp-commander-challenge-deck/

You can probably tell, but it needs some serious work. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

I'm confused.

Is this a competetive event, or just for fun?

Who are you competing with?

Are there any additional rules enforced?

Why did they pick you as their representative? No offense, but don't they have any intention of winning?

Is it 1v1?

If so, are you following the 1v1 or multiplayer banlists?

I want to make a deck centered around Permeating Mass, with pic related as commander. The goal is to make as many copies as possible. So far I just have stuff to force blocking and tutors, but haven't found anything to abuse Permeating Mass too much

ok, from the beginning:

Members of the Veeky Forums Winter Ball thread thought it would be fun to challenge /vp/, our "date" for the winter ball, to MTG, after we had a huge overhyped event where we faced them in Pokemon.

The idea was to create Commander Duel Decks, Balancing one against the other in order to create an interesting match-up, while still being representative of both boards.

So it's us versus them, in a 1v1 match, probably best out of 3 or 5. Players will likely be decided through a preliminary tournament. the entire thing will be run through Xmage. Mostly for fun, but the hype for the Pokemon match was greater than that of any FNM tourney I've been too.

I'm basically the guy giving it momentum because I expressed the most interest in it, and because Winter Ball is on Holiday for Thanksgiving,and because /vp/ went dark after the release of Sun and Moon. We expect things to calm down a bit n a week, and hope to have the decks ready.

Is there any secret tech for this gal? Looking to pair her with Reyhan for fun with 1/1 counters, and for sure will have kresh in the deck.

sounds like you should work with the guy making the Veeky Forums deck to balance them against each other.

I suggest banning cards like Sol Ring and tutors etc that give the opportunity for wild variances in power, it can let one deck win without much competition, not good for a spectator match.

I assume there will also be a lot of non-mtg spectators, or at least people with very little knowledge of the game, so avoid too complicated effects.

Honestly, I feel Mayael is probably the most pokemon-esque commander there is.

It's a real shame there's no blue in here, because a buddy cop deck with these two would have been hilarious

Ah, you misunderstand. I'm on the Veeky Forums side of things, and in order to keep things "fair" Veeky Forums will be designing both of them, then having each team practice with them over Xmage.

We chose Karametra because it was the more "fun" option. Also Gods. Gods are fun.

Your card choices are all over the place. So you want to make a beast tribal or something?
Have you considered xenagos as the commander? He uses fatties as the main wincon.

I havent had the opportunity to use her or make a deck but eldrazi monument will work.
I think permeating mass will work better with red. Red and green have cards that force combat or block.

Honestly since it was just me, I threw whatever seemed good at the time. No real design in mind other than Fatties, Mana Ramp, and a lot of smaller stuff to trigger off Karametra, then a couple of spells and artifacts to buff and removal if need be.

Xenagos may be a better choice...We liked the idea of /vp/ having a huge Mana Ramp and Huge Creatures, but if RG makes for a more interesting or overall better deck, there's no reason not to make the switch.

We're going at this completely raw, Sorry. If EDH General were given this problem, how would they approach it?

Well, I'd try to decide on all (four?) of the decks at once at least.

Not design one at the time.

You could have one deck be karametra and the other one be xenagos.
You could check out precon edh decks or the decks from the "x vs y" series to get an idea how to make beginner decks that interact with each other.

I'm looking to put together these guys in a deck that isn't just reanimator/blink like a lot of lists I've seen and I had the idea to use as many cards that let me play with my own and other life totals as possible. What cards work well with this theme?

I forgot how fun Kataki death and taxes was to pilot.
>Rule of Law absolutely obliterating combo decks and UGX
>Dank cards like Kismet, Blinding Angel, Devout Witness, and Mana Tithe used to win games
>Shits on obnoxious decks like Breya, Arcum, and Daretti
Pic related, won me more games than I can count.

I don't think there's any tech that hasn't already existed for normal token decks. In this case, you want shit that boosts her power and extra combats with haste, and Cathars Crusade is a must of you're paired into white.

>Swing
>saplings
>crusade triggers
>extra combat
>swing
>more saplings and triggers
Ect

I will probably pair her with the Weaver for some built in card draw with the tokens, which also gets me black and white token shit.

It's true as far as copy effects are concerned.

I love vhati! Good choice

One of my good friends and a member of my playgroup moved away recently. We have a substitute fourth, but hes kinda a shit. New guy gets butthurt about being the target of removal and holds grudges. Plus he takes for fucking ever to play his turn, but I don'f feel like I can joke around with him about it like I can with the rest of the group. I just feel like he'd take it too personally. I don't hate the dude, but it just sucks because it went from being such a fun enviornment to this thing it is now. I dunno. I am just gonna have to talk to him. Just wanted to vent.

No worries,and yeah that crap happens. The new guy will eventually begin to conform to the rest of the group, play faster turns,and just be generally a better part of the meta. Fresh blood in the group will always be like that at first,and you're still comparing him to the guy that left. Look on the bright side,he will lead to diversity hopefully in the decks in the meta

Also, should I buy a foil and build this bitch

I personally prefer Wort, The Raidmother to Auntie.

>playing these sexy mofos
>grouphug turtle and generic g/u cancer goodstuffs as opponents
>grouphug has Oath of Druids, Walking Atlas and creature Teferi, along with various effects making attacks cost 7 mana per creature
>cancer player has 6 Acidic Slimes used to take a Breya player real early, a Consecrated sphinx, another Teferi, some other things
>I have 6 lands, a Reyhan, a Chasm Skulker, and a Fathom Mage

>play Realm Seekers for 25
>Oath gets me Champion of Lambholt on following turn
>sac Realm Seekers moving counters onto Champion via Reyhan
>swing at cancer with Reyhan, sac Champion moving the counters to Reyhan for lethal commander damage
>sac Reyhan onto the Fathom Mage, draw 28
>put 28 counters on squid
>sac both putting 50 something counters on Walking Archive
>pass the turn
>mandatory trigger
>drop mic

>Worse Managorger Hydra
>At Mythic

lel

>managorger hydra at legendary with partner
Sure she's not batshit broken, but she's not unplayable either

She's fine, I just don't get why she couldn't have the Managorger trigger, she costs more and has a worse keyword (discounting Partner)

I gotcha bro.

>someone removes your sacrifice engine or board clears your creatures
[scooping intensifies]

Sac it all in response drawing a bajillion cards? It's not that bad of a card.

I laughed at the flavor text, for some reason I've never read it before even though I own the card.

>Play Oracle of Mul Daya with no lands in hand
>Put 2 lands onto the battlefield off the top of my library

I love when that happens. If I can cast him, I'll hold my lands in hand, in case I get to play from deck. It's so satisfying not to draw lands.

Hey guys I'm pretty much done my gahiji meme deck, looking for some super secret tech additions though

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-11-16-lord-of-war/

It's a pretty typical Gahiji deck but I went really hard on the "make deals with other players" theme. Typically, I'll ask opponents not to attack me in exchange for some goodies later, and to help me with cards that specifically require teamwork.

But are there any cards that require an opponent's cooperation besides these ones? I really love doing these shady deals with other players

>Combustible Gearhulk
>Dawnbreak Reclaimer
>Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
>Death or Glory
>Humble Defector
>Tempt cards

More cards like that please?

Throw Reverse the Sands in just for shiggles maybe.

Bitter Fued as well.

So I guess these two are the "I want to play Atraxa but not get hated out first" Generals.

I have commander ennui.

are the myojins secret tech with atraxa?

name a commander better tHan zada. YOU CAN'T

Nugrenzo

Azorius. Force your playgroup to learn about removals and answers to things

i've been meaning to ask something related to this

if you throw enough money at a mono-red deck, can you make it actually good when it comes to mana? i was thinking of making a grenzo deck with a ton of "red" ramp like gauntlet of power, burnished hart, etc, and then just hitting people with tons of evasive little dudes and goading them and casting all their shit

They seem like a dead draw most the time. Too much mana.

8 mana isn't too much for a "win the game if it resolves" effect

>implying

In my meta people are either top decking at 8 or have draw engines and don't care that much

Remove selvala, temple bell and alliance at arms, those are more group hug than politics.
Look for "I can save you if you give me a blowjob" combat tricks that also benefit you, such as benefactor's draught.
Also "fuck you for not sticking to the deal" cards such as enchant player curses.

>Remove selvala, temple bell and alliance at arms, those are more group hug than politics

selvala is there to help me with the guise of "helping" others. she is a bit off theme but still pretty good for the general purpose of the deck. i don't always want to help just 1 person, it's more about pretending to be a nice group hug guy, but actually getting stronger.

temple bell is there mostly because i'm struggling to find reliable and cheap card draw in these colors.

alliance at the arms helps me way more than it helps others since i have a ton of token synergy, pillowfort stuff and even stuff like mob rule. typically, i won't cast it unless i see another player way ahead others. when that happens, i cast it and say "we need to take this guy down!!" and act as if i'm hugging everyone (but really i'm getting ready for a big alpha strike)

i tried benefactor's draught on xmage and it just felt shitty most of the time. i don't really want to untap my opponent's creatures and it's a really situational way to draw cards anyway.

curses seem like they could be work, although they're kinda situational. i could run stuff that really encourages people to attack that player, like Curse of the Forsaken and Curse of Chaos. thanks

Check out the "tribute" keyword for some minor political interactions

It's definately very powerful. If you can ramp and play it reasonably early
(discard effects generally become less impactful as the game drags on), you can have all your opponents topdecking for as long as you have the myojin in play.

What's your favorite commander 2016 card?

Hard mode, no legendary creatures.
Pic related for me

As an ecologists, I think I've discovered my favorite mtg art

i really love orzhov advokist (). definitely my favorite card in the expansion.

goblin spymaster is also really fun, but i wish the goblin tokens had haste. without haste, the goblins just end up killing each other without really getting anything done, and it's kinda lame. haste seems like such an obvious addition for them that i wonder why they didn't give them that

the one thing they got right this expansion was fun group hug / chaos cards. they managed to grasp the idea of "help everyone (but me the most)" cards very well

I know it's a typo.
But you should always double check your prices before posting.
Let's see if they honor my $12 for a $150box

where at user?

It just says that it's the box user. You may be the one getting played instead