Non-D&D Fantasy TRPGs

Help me, fa/tg/uys

>have a group of 4-5 consistent players
>get excited by new systems, play a few sessions, then switch to another
>have run through everything from 5e to Traveller to AD&D to Shadowrun
>players want a classless fantasy system now that isn't Burning Wheel or Savage Worlds

I can't find any systems that fit the description. Do you guys know of any good ones?

>pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

endchan.xyz/.media/5319c9363166c41e6c8793e5835cb588-applicationpdf/alias/Runeqest 2e Core.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Have you tried VTNL?

>“Roleplaying in the game is not a core component. Player can freely choose to formulate character's persona and the only thing that has minor impact on this is the player's chosen race. The roleplay and the immersion in the game world depend on player's style only. Innovative mechanics in VTNL generate adventures on their own and almost completely exclude any form of "GM's fiat". Nobody among participants knows what will happen next, which makes the game more exciting and compelling.”

Green Ronin's ASoIaF RPG
Mutants and Masterminds(any edition but 1st)
GURPS

Legend of the Five Rings is weaboo fantasy game

So, what is it they want? Cuz they've named each end of the spectrum and the stuff in between..

Barebones Fantasy is, as the name suggests, very simple.

Mythras (previously Runequest 6) is a much more involved ruleset. You can also use Classic Fantasy book to emulate D&D somewhat.

One or another game should cover you, depending on your group preferences.

I take it they're looking for a fantasy TRPG that doesn't feel gamey. Or just something that deviates from the class/race paradigm

Players are fickle creatures

if there this new just play 5e til you can figure it out lol

Mini Six can do it very easily.

DUDE FATAL LMAO

Reign
its uses ORE

You could try to find a system similar to Dark Heresy 2nd edition where players aren't bound by homeworld/background/role in buying skills, talents, and stat upgrades. Each player has aptitudes making it easier, or harder, to get certain advances depending on the advance and its corresponding aptitudes. No need for races or classes with this system that much.

Somebody mentioned Reign, I've heard good things about that.
There's The Fantasy Trip, which was the fantasy-only precursor to GURPS, as well as GURPS: Dungeon Fantasy.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay system 2e

doesn't have classes. its has careers.

And if you need more detail you can just slot in stuff from D6 Fantasy and tweak as desired.

Need a bit more description friend, high or low fantasy? GURPS or Mutants and Masterminds are probably some of your best bets.

I'm mostly just looking for any fantasy TRPG that isn't D&D, Burning Wheel, or Savage Worlds

Warhammer Fantasy RPG, I think Ars Magica would also work.
Pathfinder is basically D&D so avoid it.

Your players sound cancerous

True20 by Green Ronin might fit the bill for you guys.

Instead of predefined class feature sets, you make your own class as you go out of feats, and you get one feat per level up plus a handful at character creation. Things like sneak attack, or favored enemy, or smiting evil--all feats. And if you're a spellcaster, you can use these new feats to instead get powers.

You also have have a Background which might be a fantasy race, or a vocation or career, or even something like a reputation, and gets you score adjustments, two skills, and two feats..

There are three broad Roles--Warrior, Expert, and Adept--which loosely define some of the feats you can have access to and grant you a big unique ability, shaping your advancement past level 1. For instance, the Warrior can just get rid of damage conditions, which means they can be in the thick of things far more than skill-monkey Experts or power-using Adepts.

Also--the game is not genre specific. So if you wanted you could run it as a sci-fi game where Adepts are psychics or are using super science to do stuff.
The system's pretty damn good for Mass Effect.

Try the Unnoficial Elder Scrolls RPG (google it).

If the sacrifice victim is a 11 year old girl who doesn't have large breasts but still seeps fresh semen from three orifices, does the ritual still work?

Try TDE 5 if you aren't just playing for fights and like a low magic universe.

Do you like d10s? Do you like ridiculous amounts of d10s? If so, pic related.

What is the actual name?

Shadows of Esteren.
Try it, it's good

That's an actual name, VTNL or "Via the New Legends", whatever that means. Don't bother though, it's a thing made by a Russian guy who played D&D once and decided to work on his own system for 15 years purposefuly ignoring the whole TRPG industry entirely so that he wouldn't be influenced by other ideas and his work remained "pure". You can imagine the end result. At least it is bad in pretty unique ways.

If you want an answer that's actually helpful when your players have played so many games, why don't you share the experiences your group has had.

List out the games they've tried, some of the complaints your players have raised and reasons they didn't continue playing each one, as well as some things they've liked about each game they have played.

Anima technically has classes but they just reduce the price of features, everything is bought with a progression currency and everyone can buy anything.

Mythras is my favorite system, and Classic Fantasy turns it into a dungeon crawler in generic D&Dland. I love these rules, wish I could play them more.

@OP World of Dungeons is a solid ultra-light game.

Reskin Cthulhu Tech and have them play as adventurers tracking down a cult of the void. They'll change their tune pretty quick.

Beyond that, just about anything classless would work really. The fantasy aspect is easy to refluff, assuming they're not tools who can't use their imagination.

Ironclaw (look past the furry to the system itself), Rune Quest, Palladium seen the rest Ipost

Isn't that the one which has rules for rolling dice?

Not a segment in the book as to dice terminology, a section about the actual way in which you roll the dice and the specific way the game says you must do or face penalties.

You got it.

Runequest is a pretty safe bet, I am running a campaign right now and people seem to really like it.

endchan.xyz/.media/5319c9363166c41e6c8793e5835cb588-applicationpdf/alias/Runeqest 2e Core.pdf

Second edition is here, I play third.

Mongoose's Legend. It's a more genericized version of Mongoose's Runequest 2 that they published after they lost the IP.

Lords of Gossamer and Shadow. It has a multiverse setting with the potential to segue into urban fantasy or sci-fi, but most of the options and splatbooks emphasize magic and monsters.

Something based on FATE, possibly Chronica Feudalis.

...the real limiting factor is the stipulation "classless". Relatively few systems dedicated to fantasy have eschewed classes, many simply rebranding them as 'careers', 'professions', or 'archetypes' or the like. I don't want to just reel off every universal system I ever heard of on the grounds that you *could* use it to run fantasy games. Also this laptop is new and I don't have my pdf collection on here for easy memory-jogging.

Just shilling TOR wherever I am

Exalted.

Rhand Morningstar Mission

If you are ok with furry, Ironclaw 2nd edition is relay good and follows your exact description of:
>players want a classless fantasy system now that isn't Burning Wheel or Savage Worlds

Character creation is really simple but the customization is astounding. I could write a bunch of points but I don't want to make a huge wall of text.
Look it up, it's real good. Also you can easily swap out the furry races and setting for your own with no trouble.

oops, didn't notice Sorry my dude.

I know that feeling.

I've been meaning to look into Mythras, don't suppose you have a mega or pastebin or something?

I could upload what I have but it'll take an hour or two.

Actually no need, there you go.

mega.nz/#F!vEslwY6J!vZzbQHuRL9zODXp4o9Q-EQ!fYFRRTbA

Thanks a bunch friend. I see there is a core Runequest 6 book as well as one just called Mythras. Which of the books here are just the base set?

I got your back Senpai. This is Blackbird Pi, a jailbreak of Lady Blackbird. Its simple and elegant and perfect for a go-around.

RuneQuest 6 = Mythras

Same system, the company lost the RuneQuest name when the next edition got announced and published a RQ 6.5 with edits and reformatting under the name Mythras.

freeform?
It sounds like they want freeform

Look up Greg Stolze's Reign. Fucking awesome game, and the setting was pretty fucking dope as well (though it did trigger some people, with how brown people were everywhere, and only women could fight on horseback).