/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

>Latest News
Cleric Divine Domains: dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/cleric-divine-domains
Don't forget to give your opinion in the Bard survey!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Previous thread
>Topic
It's pretty clear the people want more Feats. Did you homebrew some for your games?
Did you buff existing feats that are in need? Which ones? How?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VuJTqmpBnI0
youtu.be/J3xBtDetBH4?t=90
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>It's pretty clear the people want more Feats
No, it isn't

>Did you homebrew some for your games? Did you buff existing feats that are in need? Which ones? How?
No, no and no, I just banned feats in general

>It's pretty clear the people want more Feats.
[citation needed]
A lot of the players I know are content to completely ignore them in favor of ASIs.

how do you feel about giving all races a feat?

What kind of Performance would someone who is high in Strength and Charisma, but low in Dexterity do? I want my Paladin to be able to do something fun at taverns to impress patrons. Any suggestions that wouldn't just make him a Bard?

That would make variant human completely worthless. Unless they got something additional to balance things out. But even then, I don't see the point.

I feel that makes humans lag somewhat.

seventh for KOBOLD DRAGON-HUNTING PARTY

Maybe some to improve TWF, natural attacks and unarmed attacks. Or at least rework the ones that exist.

Something for monks wouldn't be a bad idea either, they benefit very little from feats.

People want to be able to use feats.
Give everyone a feat at 6-7 and they'll be happy af

...is this a real question? Because the answer is as obvious as it is classic.

youtube.com/watch?v=VuJTqmpBnI0

Strongman performances are a thing. Lift three hot chicks with one arm while flashing your high-cha teeth at the crowd. Bend steel bars. People love that shit.

obviously buff humans afterwards.

So i guess i would probably roll Athletics and Performance together?

>trap option
Sure, monk sucked in 3.5 if you didn't optimize to the max, but trip monks were very good at it.

Tashalatorra monk comes to mind, mine was a fucking beast.

Thing that technically works:

>Cast Demiplane
>Cast Glyph of Warding on an object with harmful spell of choice and trigger condition that doesn't target you.
>Cast Drawmij's Instant Summons on the object
>Leave Demiplane
>Any time thereafter crush your Drawmij's sapphire to summon your glyphed object (planar distances can't be measured in feet, so the object traveled less than 10 feet, so Glyph still works.)
Congratulations, you got a single-use extra spell for 1,200gp.

Everyone gets a feat but only humans can advance past level 12, thoughts?

Masked wrestling.

Dunno, that's up to your DM.

(you)

A) this isn't 1e
B) your group isn't going to reach 12 anyway

The worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas.

>Santo's strength and panther agility against the diabolic power of the vampire women!..

man, santo was so cool.

If Santo was so great why did he end dying in a ball of fire surrounded by strigoi?

I personally dislike Feats. I'd rather have my players focus on a class and try to workout some synergy with other players, which is why I always have a session zero and collaborative character creation.

youtu.be/J3xBtDetBH4?t=90
Witness, /5eg/, how a real party beats CoS.

Sup /5eg/
How to Desert properly?
Do you guys have some tips, ideas and/or resources to properly run a campaign in a desert?

I don't dislike most feats, I dislike GWM and SS because only a small pool of character options will benefit from them and then they'll BTFO all other character options.

monkpcinbarovia,jpg

Stand-up comedian
(Divine) Magician
Step dancing
Any instrument really

>Los tiburón
>Monk
Not anymore

If water isn't a major concern, you're not doing it right.

Does anyone else feel that TWF just sucks? Since offhand attack is a bonus action, you can only do it once. Even if you have extra attacks.

A lot of stuff in 5e kinda sucks, but any improvement might make it OP.

It's meant for classes that don't get a lot of extra attacks, but have the potential for a lot of oomph from just one attack, like rogue, paladin, or barbarian.

Hello, yes. Is user, who claimed that vestiges of Amber Temple and Dark Powers of Shadowfel are totally different and unrelated beings, still here?
Because I took five minutes and made this. Eat shit, user.

>tfw paladins don't get archery fighting style
>tfw rangers don't get great weapon fighting style
Why does Mearls hate fun so much?

I was thinking of allowing a PC to draw two weapons at once, but only if they're light.
That way rogues can brandish both short swords in one turn.

As for the Dual Wielding feat, tack on a +1 to either STR or DEX, player's choice.

And that's why Fighter and Ranger get TWF style but Rogue, Paladin and Barbarian don't? this is kind of what not meant to means.

First thing I did was say any class that gets access to Fighting Styles gets access to ALL of them.

>paladins
>using ranged weaponry

I can understand paladins not having access to Archery because they've clearly made their decision when it comes to paladins: they shouldn't divine smite with ranged weapons.

No two-handed ranger does not make sense though you're right on that

It's because those aren't usually employed by those classes, at least traditionally. Paladins can't Smite with a bow, so being a dedicated Archer would be weird. And rangers with two-handers makes them rather similar to Barbarians, and also doesn't fit their more dex-based nature.

A single level in Fighter solves this anyway

:^)
The feat is better anyway.
But honestly, I agree, it's a design flaw.

Becauser you can't keep giving away all the Fighter's toys to every other class.

They already suck. What if we took Rangers and made archetypes that gave Barbarians and Bards animal companions?

Feats would only work if there were some alternative type of feat you can get on levels up.

Instead of the pwoerful ASI/feat types, they'd be a different type of feat designed to get characters who need it up to speed with extra utilities. Classes like monk.

For example, sorcerer might get a choice of benefits at level X and/or Y that allow them to do unique things.

For example, a wild sorcerer may have access to something like:
>pick a spell from any spell list you do not know of up to two spell levels higher than you can currently cast. When you cast the spell, roll a number of d10s equal to how many levels higher the spell is than you can normally cast if the spell is of a higher level than you should be able to cast (minimum of 0), and an extra d10 for every time you have used this ability within the last week, or since level up. For every d10 that is equal to or less than the spell level of the spell you have cast, you roll on [TABLE X].
Note that table X is a horrble, horrible abomination of nature and you do not want to have to roll on it, ever. You can change the spell on level-up.
Of course, there's a few non-standard things there like 'within the last week' and the fact the description is overly complicated, but this would only be homebrew in the end for one's own campaign, so it's fine.

It would be less of a feature that's frequently used (unless you choose a lower level spell) and more an emergency limit-break that will probably break you too.

Reminder that Aragorn, the most iconic ranger, uses a sword two-handed

Lost in last thread, but:

Punch holes in kegs, pass out free beer

Lift tables with your teeth

Lift the Barmaid on one arm or one on each

Strength checks for all, then charisma check to get the barman to pay for the beer / resultant damage

B-but muh Drizzt

>and also doesn't fit their more dex-based nature.
While wotc keeps using Aragorn as an example of ranger? yeah, no.

Yea but that's a hand and a half sword, not a great weapon. He's not rolling up to orc town with a zweihander. Really more of a reason to give rangers a unique fighting style related to versatile weapons.

Aragorn is like 1/16th God, though.

Eh, thinking about it again, would probably make it 2d10 since the last time it's used in a week. More like overchanel.

The idea of these mini-feat things is they're not supposed to be power boosts but more to widen the versatility of certain classes at certain levels.

Monk and barbarian feel a bit lacking at their later levels.
Sorcerers tend to feel overshadowed by wizards when wizards have such a wide versatility, it seems, and wild mage just feels like a gimmick more than anything.
Of course, wizards should still have the benefit of being more versatile, but sorcerer really needs more of that 'raw, untrained and chaotic power' feel to them than 'you can cast the same thing on two different targets!'

Swords used with two hands benefit from GWS doesn't matter is a zweihander or a longsword.

Hand and a half swords aren't a real thing, and certainly aren't a thing in D&D. Longswords can be used with the two-handed style.

Actually the fraction is a LOT smaller. His wife is around that, though.

He uses a longsword in a Versatile grip because shields in LotR are reserved for assholes.

Resource management and high risk of exhaustion.
The party better hope they brought a ranger.

Sand worms and Spice

What about "When a player gains an Extra Attack, the player can have an additional bonus action to attack. This additional bonus action can only be usedto make an offhand attack.

>1/16th God
He's the 62th generation after Elros, so gonna say no.

fucking majestic

I think the fact that we can play as Aasimar kind of nullifies that argument.

Just because angels like Gandalf are hot shit in ME (despite pretty much doing nothing but casting thunderwave and having a large bag of magic items) doesn't mean angelic beings in FR are. Your aasimar could be half lantern archon, some lady got knocked up by a glowing light or whatever. People kill those things all the time. Aasimar doesn't = "son of Torm".

i had a table of random events, and homebrew exhaustion/rest mechanics.

my party had a rough map, a ranger and had a guide (which died day 2) but the desert was magical so they still got lost for a while, they couldn't long rest as they also lost their equipment/most of their provisions and i let them use hit die to recover feature and spell slots at the end of their overnight rests but exhaustion was a mayor issue.

the table had stuff like raiding thri-kreen, finding the thri-kreen hive, raiding bandits, finding a magical pyramid (the chapter dungeon), gettting lost (in time or space), tremors and seeing a purple worm at the distance and finding other ruins (optional dungeon) with giant scorpions and crap and a dead blue dragon's lair with just goodies.

i really enjoyed it, even if my group was borderline collapsing from the life or death, day to day, intensity.

>tfw you're the only one playing a Monk right

Will playing a character built around grappling make me a chode in the party?

>Those jumps
Not doable in 5e
>That many ki wasted in 4 AoE attacks
Impossible unless epic levels (17-20)

N... no ? What do you mean..?

I really don't see why they do. Aragorn is a Fighter with Survival skills. He doesn't have a beast companion, and while he holds the title of ranger, that means something different than the D&D definition. Same with how Gandalf is called a Wizard but mechanically would work better as a Druid or Cleric.

And, as said, the sword he's using is closer to having the versatile property. I would very much like to see a Fighting style focused on using those, as it's hard to justify switching between.

Step of the Wind doubles your Jump distance and you can always roll Athletics for more distance.

did they enjoy it? :^)
How was your rest system?

of course

will keep those in mind

>doubles your Jump distance and you can always roll Athletics for more distance.
You can jump far, but not high,

>He doesn't have a beast companion
Not all rangers do.

>"distance" doesn't refer to the Z axis

cause apparently grappling is broken as fuck. Not that the reason I am making said character is due to it being overpowered, moreso i wanted to make someone who fought melee without a weapon but wore heavy armour. He's on an adventure to have a good time, has no interesting in murdering, so he'll just subdue them with a good ol grapple. Wrestling bears and orcs just seems like fun.
I think my DM said he'll let me reskin a 1handed bludgeoning weapon into some kind of punching gauntlet.

I don't think grappling is overpowered. As most party strength, it's on the DM to offer encounters that are strong against it once in a while. Like flying creatures or super mobile ones.

It's honestly not overpowered. Go for it. Have your russian accent ready.

He also doesn't have a favored enemy, favored terrain, or spells.

My point still stands. Just because Aragorn is called a ranger in LotR does not make him a ranger in D&D.

short rests don't recover anything, they just have to do them to not get extra exhaustion, long rests recover short rest stuff and they get to use hit die to recover long rest stuff and lowers 1 exhaustion. it was kind of brutal but the whole, 8h nap and you get all your shit back, no matter how fucked you were, plus the system expecting 6~8 encounters per adventuring day really don't fit into my story AT ALL.

i'm still trying to improve the rest system for the rest of my story and can't quite find something that works most of the time for most of the party.

the following chapter was supposed to be a full sandbox with several geographical locations on a continent sized map, but RL stuff happened and it ended going into hiatus, with another friend filling as dm with a less ambitious run.

>Step of the Wind doubles your Jump distance
Which is 1/4th your Str bonus, make it 1/2 your Str bonus if you spend ki, lets be fucking generous and give you a 12 on Str, you leap 6 feet, which is 2 meters, which is less that what dude does.

>you can always roll Athletics for more distance.
Entirely dependant on the GM, no rules for that.

Now what, fucker?

>He also doesn't have a favored enemy, favored terrain, or spells.
He does, did you read the books?
He's spec'd against orcs and goblins.
His terrains are woods and plains.
He fucking has healing magic, though, as everything in LotR, is subtle as fuck.

where do you even find this crap.

you didn't answer

did the party actually enjoy their games?
it seems tedious as fuck

>he doesn't have 20 Strength
>he can't leap 16 feet into the air
cuck

The action that's really broken is...

Disarm.

Holy shit, consider the following. Say you have a Bugbear armed with a Cleave. The guy does 2d8+3 (i can't remember correctly) so that's 5 - 19 points of damage in a successful hit because of their Trait.

But as a disarm action, you can make him drop the Cleave. And, as a movement action, I think it would be pretty fair to allow a PC to kick the weapon out of the Bugbear's range.

So that means a huge downgrade to damage. That's huge. But players never ask for it, since it is in the DMG.

Martial arts films

>armed with a Cleave
what
Anyway, you can disarm bitches and kicking their weapons away is a free object interaction, no "movement action" required (which doesn't exist anymore btw)

Battlemasters do this all day with Disarming Strike

i suppose they did, we all like hardcore survival games and artificial difficulty, we also are huge nerds so everyone was on character the whole time.

Best representation of SCAG's monks coming through.

>as a movement action

Go back to 3.5, faggot.

Arsgorn is a master tracker that can put his ear to the ground and determine how large/far away a group of orcs is. He lives in the wilderness and protects civilization from monsters. If that's not a ranger, I don't know what is.
LEGOLAS, on the other hand, is an archery fighter.
I wish people would realize this. Aragorn 100% uses magic, a lot. It's just not flashy and incantation-y.

You know I meant it as "using their movement speed", come on, guys.

Your party finds a spell scroll in an ancient tomb and identifies it as a Scroll of Genocide.

What happens next?

Someone uses it "for the lulz"

they already tried to use it before identifying what it is

erradicate mosquitoes
alternatively, 6gozillions

So, say I want to make a Slayer from Warhammer Fantasy. Would the standard Barbarian template be good enough for it?

Tell the Xorinite Wisps to get the fuck out here, I want something else.

Disenchanters, or L if it's blessed.