ACE Universal Mecha Roleplaying System

The ACE Universal Mecha Roleplaying System is a home made tabletop system meant for simple and fast paced Mecha Combat, as an alternative to clunkier systems like Silhouette and Mekton.

The system was born out of my desire to have an easy to use and modify system that I could take and use to run games in any sort of mecha setting, from Mazinger Z to VOTOMS. Most of the system's rules are based more on real robot style combat, and it shows in the combat.

Combat in the ACE System runs fast and quick. Rolls work on a 1d100+Attribute system: the character doing a think rolls a 1d100 and adds their attribute and any modifiers to it- if it beats the target then the roll is a success.

Other urls found in this thread:

vangcki.com/
blazbaros.deviantart.com/gallery/55214422/Payload
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Only comment I really have on it is that it's extremely easy for combat to turn into rocket tag.

Which is the point- Mooks go down like flies because this is an anime, while actual named characters have plot armor.

This comment is for bonus XP

You know, a few months ago there was someone looking for you. Something about Macross or another.

Just skim-read this, seems fairly funky; but how do Mecha go from one Tier to the next? Couldn't seem to find that in the rules.

It's right there, though it may not be visible upon skimming it. Mecha are locked into their Tier by default, but there is a trait that can be purchased for a Mecha that increases its tier by 1. It can only be purchased once, though.

You again?

Are you willing to actually accept criticism and feedback this time or are you going to throw another shitfit because we didn't find your system to be as perfect as you think it is?

Hey, if people actually read shit, sure. But if people want to skim and complain without reading, then I'll tell them to fuck off.

Doesn't seem like a great game to be honest; class-based systems make character building and progression fairly linear, and boring... but I'll admit, that's just my opinion.

However, after looking it over, I can tell that the problem isn't just with my personal preference. You've got Dark Heresy with rules and descriptions tacked on from half a dozen other mecha games, and it's a real fucking Frankenstein's monster of a game, let me tell you.

>Combat in the ACE System runs fast and quick.

Nope, it'll run as fast as Dark Heresy and other derivatives, which isn't terribly quick.

>Rolls work on a 1d100+Attribute system...

Except for a few things like initiative, which seems completely bizarre to me.

>an alternative to clunkier systems like Silhouette and Mekton

So why take rules concepts from those games, and put them into yours? It's so blatant I can point out where each specific instance comes from.

also
>Mekton
>Clunky

Maybe git gud kiddo.

>However, after looking it over, I can tell that the problem isn't just with my personal preference. You've got Dark Heresy with rules and descriptions tacked on from half a dozen other mecha games, and it's a real fucking Frankenstein's monster of a game, let me tell you.

The only real similarity between Dark Heresy is the use of a D100. Dark Heresy is a "Roll Under your Stat" system too, by the way.

And I dunno about you, but i've seen this game in play and it goes pretty fast.

>OP registered his name

time to see how long this thread lasts

The mechanics for task resolution have changed, but the underlying framework is still there, particularly in the Traits section. These things have obviously been changed from their original format, but obviously not enough to keep people from seeing where the inspiration was drawn from.

Now, taking inspiration from things is all well and good, but there's lots of examples of things which are obviously just taken from other sources and adapted to the current ruleset without changing their name, or their intended function. Take 'Haywire' for example... it's straight up from Heavy Gear, name and all. When I say it's a horrific amalgamation of different game-parts, that's what I'm talking about. You can almost see where everything has been stitched together.

>And I dunno about you, but i've seen this game in play and it goes pretty fast.

...and I dunno about you, but I've seen some of the systems you claim to be clunky in play, and they're far from it. The difference is, I'm not trying to get people to click on the Patreon link on the second page of my rulebook.

Hello, I haven't looked into the system for a couple months.

Did the rocket tag get fixed? Last time I checked, it was exceptionally easy to explode mechs right through their ablative HP.

>The difference is, I'm not trying to get people to click on the Patreon link on the second page of my rulebook.
>there is a goddamn patreon link in a rulebook

Okay, napkin map shows a Tier 1 weapon can still one-shot any T1 and most T2 mechs right through their critical soak, so the answer is no.

Basically, I wanted combat to be fast and lethal, to better emulate 80's real robot shows like Zeta Gundam and Macross.

But if people truly find it unfun, I can always do the thing where rather than Structure starting and 3 and going up by three, it stats at 10 and goes up by 5 for every MBP purchase.

It's fun when the cannon-fodder bad guys explode in a hit or two, but if you want your players to explode just as often, you're better off playing a wargame instead of an RPG.

So I'm thinking that I'll just buff up Structure and Vital Soak.

Yeah, I'm glad he limited the 50$ a month one to just 20 people.

Seriously though, fuck this guy.

He's clearly got no interest in actual feedback, faggot just wants attention and money.

Except I just had a constructive conversation with people and admitted that the rocket tag problem needs fixing?

Also the fuck's wrong with wanting money. What are you, a communist?

you're asking for mothly installments as an untested author without a thing to their name and 0 established audience.

Last time he was here he threw a tantrum about how people "weren't reading" when pointing out huge gaping problems in the system.

So, not long.

Still here, asshole.
I only set the thing up because my playtesters suggested it. You don't wanna donate? That's fine, mang, and I get that.

>Also the fuck's wrong with wanting money. What are you, a communist?

>the cheapskate is calling us out, after promoting within the second page

I didn't think promoting tabletop RPG would require you to want money, all of a sudden.

I too set up monetization schemes based off my 3 friends with 0 marking and pr experience's opinions.

Make's you look like a cunt, and the platform look like it's for beggars.

Honestly I don't even need it- but I also think it's kind of childish to go "OH HE HAS A PATREON THAT MEANS HE SUCKS"

You shouldn't be asking for money while being a 0-positive rep nobody alpha-testing your first system to a minimal audience.

>that pot calling the kettle black, tho

We're getting off topic. This is /traditional games/ not /seinfeld episodes/

Jontron was funny back in like, 2008 maybe.

>CLUNKY

Into the fucking garbage it goes

At least he's funny.

the begging for money to develop your first passion project conversation isn't as off topic as you talking about jontron.

What guarantee does anyone have that you'll actually finish this?
Have you ever completed something before?
Have you ever even wrote anything before?

You're using the name ACE just to try and rip-off the mechs in the game that artist Blazbaros is making, aren't you?

1/10, 1 point for balls i guess.

further more do you have permission to be using any of the art in your book?

This is a big one. He's got a Patreon page set up for it, so it's making money; albeit, donation money. OP, I'd suggest using some of that to commission your own artwork, otherwise you might get into trouble.

5 bucks says the OP never responds again and is hammering delete at this very moment

Considering this is Veeky Forums, someone could actually slay him with all of this. Time to enjoy the fireworks.

so
vangcki.com/
one of his sources seems pretty professional. way too professional for this.

wow, this was definitely something, huh

Lesson to learn: Don't be a massive fucking asshole about things, and you won't get wrecked.

>this thread

Speaking of 'having balls', the best part is that he lists himself as 'lead /designer/', even while using outside sources.

When has he ever designed art?

>Most of the system's rules are based more on real robot style combat...
>You can do anything from Mazinger Z to VOTOMS.

Well, which is it?

How do you balance the game if one player wants to do a Super Robot that's hundreds of feet tall, and another player wants to be in a Scopedog?

I don't see anything about different scales (outside of mecha vs personal scale) in your system, so I guess something like what I'm describing isn't possible? I guess running "fast and quick" makes up for it somehow?

That's exactly what he did last time, and every time he tried posting.

You'd think he'd have learned his lesson by now. Everyone always remembers how much of a fucking idiot he is, and aren't likely to forget by the next time he tries either.

OP has abandoned his thread, show's over folks.

Ah well, one more laugh on his behalf then.

1000? Boy, that's a whole lot. But with 1000 per month, I'll be able to go beyond subsistence and start paying for things related to games. First on the list is going to be getting actual artists to come on board the team and help make some art for any and all games. Some layout guys who have expereince (sic) to make each release look real good.

Now while 2000 bucks might seem a bit much, I've got plans on what to do with that money. First, I'll be hiring a permanent team to help work on the game: beyond people to help with the visuals and layout, I'll be bringing on a team dedicated to improving the rules. Maybe I'll even hire writers to help make settings and stories to go along with the rules.

More like

You know, while I do generally like Blaz's work I often find it a bit too cartoony - but hey what can you expect for 40k may-mays; but I really like this sort of design for mechs. Pretty front mission.

Damn, really? A shame. Ah, well, let's just leave this little tidbit here.

[11:24] You know what the smart thing to do would be?
[11:24] Give up

I too like giant ladies.

Do you think he intends to have it be mechs v. busty giantesses?

Yes, probably. I know I would play it.

You know what? If you had actually read the book, on the same time where the Patreon link is, You'll see that I credit the artists and say that none of the art in the book is mine.

And "Lead Designer" has never fucking referred to art, ever. 'Lead Artist' might, but Lead Designer generally refers to a game's rules and logic.

You can't just stick their art in your book that you're hoping to get paid to make, and hope that crediting them is enough. You have to get their permission, and I'm guessing you haven't.

Thankfully for you, I don't think any of them would even bother getting upset by it.

>Thankfully for you, I don't think any of them would even bother getting upset by it.
Well we're going to find out because we've been emailing the artists.

The position of lead designer often refers to the person in charge of designing the visual theme of a game..

Oh hey mr. professional artist man, you don't need money for you hard work. Come check out my patreon and give that dosh to those who have really earned it.

Where's that gem from?

I think you replied to the wrong comment, m8.

From IRC I'd imagine.

I'll take 'games not to give a go' for a hundred...

Sadly he's not really releasing much on it and actually moved some stuff to be secret but you can kinda pick up bits here and there on what he's working on on the pictures in this section.

blazbaros.deviantart.com/gallery/55214422/Payload

Kind of a shame, really. People might have given your game a chance if you didn't prove to be an egotistical cuntbiscuit crybaby time and time again.

I can't imagine someone considering Mekton to be clunky when Battletech exists.

>Silhouette and Mekton
>clunkier

Seriously I have zero confidence what-so-ever in your ability to design a game if you seriously think this.

It sounds like your system is a poorly designed or layed out book

That's been his only real reply to criticism in the past. It's actually really hilarious that he keeps saying it without fail.

So how is silhouette? I'm used to battletech and the only time I tried mekton it involved a lot more drinking and haha you're gay now than actually playing.

It's pretty fast, actually. At its core all you do is roll a couple of dice, pick the highest one, add a mod or two, and compare it to a number. It's all Margin of Success based, so once you get used to it you know at a glance exactly how effective your action was.

Sil's "complexity" mostly comes from retarded TV calculation formulas for custom mech building that retards can't seem to comprehend have no function beyond competitive wargaming so you don't even really need to do.

Silhouette is vastly LESS complex than OP's system. ACE-faggot is a fucking idiot.

>only time I tried mekton it involved a lot more drinking and haha you're gay now than actually playing.
Wat?

I think he means to say "they fucked around instead of actually playing the game."

Ah, alright. I was thinking some sort of Traveler "You died in CG, nigga. GG" style thing.

IRC user here. I thought of an idea, to spice things up a little.

Since OP is at risk of having legal stuff involved, he's got two options here:

>delete the thread
or
>face the consequences

I'll be more than willing to post leaks. Wouldn't care, since, being screamed at for pointing out flaws = a totally right thing to do.

tl;dr OP needs to respond.

You need to get leakier than a grandma watching lawrence welk.

I'm curious what 'consequences' you're thinking would happen here.

Folks actually messaging the artists involved, only to end up with the OP having to deal with that entire mess.

tl;dr simple. karma's a bitch.

>put down the tripcode
>press a button on a router
No more consequences

I'm 100% for this. Go ahead and let them know someone has been using their art without permission and asking for donations.

And that they made zero dollars, got blown the fuck out on Veeky Forums, then ran away.

Hey. OP's a master at running away. Would be legitimately surprised if he can't think of that. First mistake is to actually give out a tripcode, anyway.

I'm not the one messaging them, though. I'm here for the fireworks.

[email protected]
depends on what all he uses this email for.

Considering how long it's been since the author's been here I doubt he'll see this, but I only just saw this thread so figured I'd give some feedback.

System ain't very good. It claims to be in aid of fast gameplay but this isn't a fast system from what I can see. Sure if you know every rule 100% (because you wrote them) you'd be able to go through it all step by step almost on instinct, but for people learning it's clunky and weird.

"Characters can act when its not their turn", ok, what limitations are there on this? Can I declare an attack the moment someone makes a move but before they make an attack on me first? Can I declare an attack before my turn? Can I only keep unused action points if I use the End Turn action, thus meaning to act out of turn I have to 'delay my action', or can I move, attack, hold onto some AP then attack again later when another target comes into view? What if someone is moving between points that block my line of sight, can I interrupt their movement to attack?

Why do you use hexes? I can't see any rules specifying arcs of fire or AP cost to turn hex facings. Unless there is enormous tactical benefit to complex movements (E.G. a faster mech can rapidly close into a slower mech's rear arc and stay behind it pouring fire into the slow bastard's weak rear defenses) then drop the hex map. It gives you literally nothing.

The absolute best thing you have is Instinct. The idea of putting players into circumstances where they mechanically have no numerical advantage over foes but triumph because of a spendable resource that represents their 'main character' status is good. Trouble is Instinct recharges too slowly to work as that so it's a rare use get-out-of-jail-free card rather than the genuine difference between unnamed mook and named character.

The numbers you use are just too fucking big. You do not need to roll 1d100 for the vast majority of your shit. Unless you constantly use modifications to rolls that are between 1 and 9 (in which case fuck you) rolling 1d100s is fucking idiotic. Especially if you're whole-clothing lifting DH's margin-of-success trick. Just use d10s, divide all your modifiers by 10, and have the margain of success be equal to how much you beat it by.

Seriously, this game isn't designed. It's picking up things from a bunch of disparate sources with different goals and putting numbers next to them. There's definitely room for a fast paced mecha combat game, but this isn't it.

Please stop shilling your shit game and trying to associate it with good mecha series.

Man what a fucking whingy bitch

Don't bother trying to give him feedback, he's proven in past threads he's not interested in it at all.

If OP WERE here first he'd bitch that you "didn't read the rules," then he'd say that "no one else had a problem with *insert mechanic here*" as if he'd actually listen to anyone else anyway.

Chances are OP fucked off to some other hugbox forum crying about how mean Veeky Forums is and how anonymous culture is "problematic" and "toxic."

Jimmy is that you?

Can't be, Jimmy actually takes feedback into consideration instead of crying and stamping his feet while begging for handouts.

On the plus side thinking about it has gotten me considering some fast-paced-mech-combat rules of my own. Could be fun to expand upon.

OP is basically just not good at games if he considers Sil and Mekton to be clunky.

>Folks actually messaging the artists involved, only to end up with the OP having to deal with that entire mess.
You mean we weren't supposed to have already been messaging the artists getting their work ripped off by some faggot expecting to get paid for it?

OOPSY!

>mfw reading this thread
OP got BTFO'd

>I'll be more than willing to post leaks.
Then post em.

I'm curious what the fuck that even means.

I like you anons, let's talk about giantesses and mecha some more.

True. I hadn't gotten that far into the thread when I posted.

If anyone here wants a good 1v1 Mecha simulator go check out the Song of Swords general and demand someone teach you how to play.

Very easy to refit anything in that game into whatever homoerotic genre you might have

I didn't think you guys would be serious. I know I'm being watched by now, but, here I am.

[12:41] But what the fuck part of "Calmly talking with someone about a problem and agreeing with them" is not taking the goddamned criticism
[12:42] I'm reacting like this to people bringing up legal bullshit

[12:45] You know what I don't like
[12:45] being accused of thievery or ripping shit off.

Oh no, he denied accusations he's a shitty person. How damning?