Malifaux General

Black Friday Edition

>Books
Malifaux (Including Ripples of Fate): mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ

Through the Breach (Complete): mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - Entirely new models

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives

New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules:
themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/114900-gaining-grounds-2016/

Topic: What are you planning on getting/have gotten in Wyrd's sale?

OP here, I'm really stuck deciding whether I want dayglows or translucents. Does anyone have any experience with either of the materials? They both look great in their own ways.

A few people at my flgs have the translucent sets and they look amazing if you paint them like normal but leave some spots unpainted like the claws on the nothing beast

Tara and Kaeris are probably some of the best boxes for that. Plenty of options for transparent details on the Nothing Beast, Void Wretches, and Fire Gamin compared to like Guilty or the Dark Carnival box which both have transparent options for some reason (Dreamer and Pandora ought to be cool, though).

And then Kaeris has her wings and Tara has her sword and the hole, which are all great details to leave transparent.

I didn't grab any Black Friday stuff, but I did grab Hayreddin and Anna with some birthday cash. Anybody played with Shotgun-Neph yet? I love him, but I never see him talked about.

Translucents allow for more incorporeal/magical effects, so I guess it depends on if you wanna get fancy.

I like the dayglow on some sets, like the Kirai one. Transparent Bete Noire is a beast though.

I love his model and fluff, but he looks super hard to use due to Curse of the First Traitor. If your opponent has access to pushes, they can shove him into your lines and negate your hard to wound. Vitality gain is also super short range.

Yeah. My current ideas are:
A. Use him to cover a flank/hunt scheme runners
B. Leech Vitality off molly summons and give punk zombies more pluses + make Molly more likely to slow/paralyze
C. Set up for Reva to get + to damage and run decaying aura on him

He seems more versatile than he looks at face value, but I'm not sure if he's got a real niche

Oh and I guess if I ever decide to play McM, he can leech vitality from poisoned dudes

What sets do people think benefit the most from each effect/neither?

I honestly haven't had a lot of interaction with them, beyond my dayglow kirai and transparent bete. Just from looks, I like the two that I own, the smoke tara, the blue transparent rasputina, and purple dayglow lynch.

Have you seen either of the LE Lynches? I can't find any photos anywhere.

So are the rumors true? Will Carver count as Killjoy in the 2017 ruleset?

I've only played against Heidekker but he is really good/autopick for the points. Throw that stone upgrade which doesn't let anyone target it for a turn unless inside 3" and you are good to go. The shotgun will kill any opposing scheme runners. The opposing scheme runners won't kill him because of those stupidly good defence numbers.

The new books models have way too good numbers. It's like gw all over again.

I really hope so. In fact, I'd love it if they relaxed their rules about using other Malifaux models as proxies in general.

I'm of the opinion that any model I can't legally hire into my crew ought to be allowed as a proxy for something else. Just think of all the money I could save using Dr. Dufresne as a nurse, my Oxfordian mages as extra Freikorps librarians, and aboms as mindless zombies.

>The new books models have way too good numbers. It's like gw all over again.
Counterpoint:
The new book models are frequently over-costed for their niche uses.
Or at least the 6-8ss slot has just become very congested with OK options.

The Vidya Guards and Wokou Raiders, for example, are expensive for their Df and Wd stat, even accounting for their damage output and push/Scheme shenanigans.
It's not necessarily that I wouldn't pay 8ss for either, but there are better places to spend the cost of a Henchman.

Actually, now that I go back and look, that's not really the case.
I still think there are frequently better places to spend those points, but the power creep is real.

>I'm of the opinion that any model I can't legally hire into my crew ought to be allowed as a proxy for something else.
For tournament play, I categorically disagree with that bit.
The visuals of the table lay-out is pretty key to getting a handle on the game state.
Abominations and Mindless Zombies look completely different, and do Oxfordians and Librarians.
Dr Dufresne is pretty ok though.

For local play - anyone that's not ok with you proxying anything at all with anything half-way appropriate is a gigantic faggot.

Pic related - my Oxfordian Mage for when I wanted to try one out. It's clearly a human magic user with a swirly cloak.

Wisps, Terracotta Warriors, Witchling Thralls, Dead Outlaws, and the Neverborn poster. Did a big order with my gaming group so I'm getting the alt Rafkin and Guard Sergeant.

If it's a difficult choice in what to hire, is it still creep. Wokou Raiders look good on paper, but are you giving up Lust or Sue for them?

Fair, I'm still not sure.
I've had several iterations of this conversation in these threads where I waver from "definitely creep" to "probably unecessary bloat for the sake of more model options".

Possibly just because they're better 'tuned' to the latest understannding of how the game actually plays, being able to hire Enforcers with good damage output, survivability .and. highly versatile marker/mobility shenanigans to fill the roles of more mono-task Henchmen (usually more beater-y or shenanigan-y) seems wrong for the game feel, somehow.

I think the fact that you have to think about it or that we can have a real discussion about it tells you it's not definitively creep. Are new models way better than shit like Guild Guard? Absolutely. I think they're more on par with stuff you normally use, which is a good thing.

>Are new models way better than shit like Guild Guard?
Maybe this is it - there's now so much of Book 1 and 2 that you'd never take competitively that it looks like continuing creep, but actually Wyrd's just getting better at writing non-trash models for the game's current state.

Having said that, yet to see a compelling argument for using Poison Gamin.

Also (relating only to the Book2/Book 4 conflict) I love that Cassandra and Carlos are battling for the same spot in the crew in rules/meta and fluff.

The only uses I have for poison gamin are Beast/Claw shenanigans since they are beasts and constructs and a slightly more useful all around model to summon. That extra wound means I can get Banasuva 3 times.

I think I'm going to stick with 10T for the forseeable future. I just got the emissary and wandering river monks and I have every master but Asami.

10T bros, you have a favorite master or unit or whatever you like for certain factions/strats/schemes?

At least Guild Guard are now summonable.

Sure as a hire they look bad, but when compared to other cheap summons they do alright.

So on a whim I got the Marcus and Hoffman boxes since the seller was selling them for cheap. Unfortunately I'm a Resser/Gremlins player so I have no M&SU constructs and my only beasts area a Canine Remains and 2 Shikome.

I was thinking about getting the Ramos box next for the swarms and Joss/Howard since both could use them. After that would a Peacekeepr for Hoff and a Mech Rider for Marcus be enought to get a decent start for both?

Joss and Howard is probably plenty for Hoff. Metal Gamin and the mech rider would be good for both.

How active is the community on vassal?

I don't do vassal myself but I know folks on AWP and the forums seem to get games in whenever they want, with a little prior coordination.

I've played a little over ten games of Malifaux. I like Shenlong for versatility even though I actually almost never do anything with him because I'm scared he gets killed. My death bubble also holds for the first two turns at most until everybody start charging everywhere.

Models always used: Izamu, the lone swordsman and snipers. Last game the swordsman was insane: two dead doxys, dead carrion emissary, Sybelle to one wound and by these like three points denied and two gained.

The lone swordsman had to handle my beatings as Izamu died on the second turn when Seamus red jokered flintlock damage: one shot = one kill. I was ready to get depressed for the rest of the game but then everything just slid into place. Have to say recalled training is as great as everyone says. Every flip is alot of flips on critical turns.

Do people play Toshiro in 10T? I'd kinda like to take him with Shenlong to get more out of my bubble and at least some summoning. Maybe if hunting party was not flipped?

My brother uses him in Yan Lo to support the wastrel trick. I don't see him outside though.

Do you guys have any rules that you follow for list building? Like, model count, number of minions-enforcers/henchmen, specific niches, etc?

Any time I try to build lists, I feel like I'm lacking somewhere.

Do you have the CrewFaux app? Try generating a set of schemes and strategies and then try to list build

The very first rule is to generate objectives before you start building a list. There aren't enough stones in a game to fill every single niche, so you're always going to be lacking somewhere.

In general though I aim for at least eight models and no more than two henchmen, since that will keep my activation count reasonably high and won't spread soul stones too thin.

Is Zoraida that good as a gremlin master? I'm going to be trying her out later this week but I can't find much positive about her online...

But why wouldn't you use literally any other Gamin to do that?

I know the Poison Gamin are Beasts, but what do they bring to the table besides that?
Especially for the extra stone in cost.

So my friend got me the Seamus crew recently
I already have canine remains, Shikome, and a Rouge Necromancy for Marcus (Also Performers)
And I have McMourning coming plus Alt-Rafkin and and a second Flesh construct

This seems like a solid core for Reserrs, are there any must have modles I'm missing?

Might not be a must-have, but I really enjoy Yin

I'm an Outcast player that doesn't own Sue.

The main reason is because I started after Mk2 dropped and I find the current plastic model absolutely terrible.

I've been trying to snag one of the old metal ones, but my search has fallen short.

So, any good ideas for conversions to make a Sue (preferably starting with a Malifaux model as the base, to maintain legality)?

Barring that, any place to buy a metal Sue?

She does combo well with Seamus and his fuck Wp aura, I'll need to keep her in mind. Looks like Bishop has a similar synergy going on.

So I think I lost my mind. Just picked up 150 in limited models (2x Alt Perdita, 2x Dufresne, 1x Kaeris, 1x Barbaros) to try and sell.

if your store is anything like mine they'll let you use anything you want as a proxy as long as the base is the right size and you have the actual model purchased.

My Henchmen is a fucking lunatic. No proxies or stand ins of any kind, ever.

He didn't even allow proxies of mk2 stuff that didn't have a model, even though Wyrd's rules allowed it.

Only way I've been able to do anything is using a Wyrd model as the base, so I can throw the book at him, so to speak, and say Wyrd directly allows it.

Random encounter generated with CrewFaux
Deployment: Standard Deployment (3)
Strategy: Extraction (Rams)
Schemes:
* Convict Labor (Always)
* Show Of Force (Rams)
* Leave Your Mark (Tomes)
* Set Up (7)
* Inspection (11)

50 SS Resurrectionists Crew
Molly + 6 Pool
- Forgotten Life (1)
- Unnerving Aura (1)
- Necrotic Preparation (1)
Anna Lovelace (9)
- Decaying Aura (2)
Philip and the Nanny (8)
- Haunting Cries (0)
Yin The Penangalan (8)
- Necrotic Preparation (1)
Hayreddin (7)
- Unnerving Aura (1)
Crooligan (4)
Crooligan (4)

General idea I had is Molly, Yin and friends hold the strat by being a bubble of fuck off while Anna makes mindless zombies on the setup target, crools help there too and Hayreddin sits at the edge for inspection or hunts enemy schemers

er, anna makes zombies that philip turns into schemes, I mean

Your henchman is an arsehole.
Having said that, I'm confused by how many people say that their Henchman is what stops them from proxying - is there a sizeable contingent out there that exclusively plays at Hench-TO'd tournaments?

Because I can't see many real people refusing to play you on the grounds that one of your models is not Wyrd official, but there are a lot of complaints of this type.

>No Dark Carnival
>No Francisco
Yeah, you lost your mind.
On an unrelated note, it's a bummer to see Miss Step sold out - I was going to talk to a buddy about sticking one onto his order today.

Arcanists
50ss Crew

Colette Du Bois -- 5ss
+Arcane Reservoir - 2ss
+Cabaret Choreography - 2ss
+Shell Game - 1ss
Mechanical Dove - 2ss
Cassandra - 8ss
+Practiced Production - 1ss
+Smoke And Mirrors - 1ss
Howard Langston - 12ss
Mannequin - 4ss
Mannequin - 4ss
Performer - 5ss
Performer - 5ss

I just realised I was building for Interference...
I'd probably swap one Mannequin-Performer for Joss, especially against Ressrs.

Usual operations - Mannequin and Performer do Convict Labour with ease, a Dove and Cassandra with PP scores Leave Your Mark with ease, either of the above can hit Set Up with ease (probably on Anna since she needs to be central to block my push shenanigans), and maybe the Performer can do half of Inspection while Convict Labouring.
Since I have the stones, I'd also strongly consider Imbuing Joss and Howard for Show of Force.

Since I can bluff any of them easily, I'd probably go for Show of Force and Leave Your Mark, and try and Howard Anna as quickly as possible.
Having said that, never played against her, so don't know how 'ard she is.

Never played against Molly either - what does she do?

We get a fair few stories of shitty henchmen. I'm not a shitty henchman. I run tournies, I allow proxies, I actually know the rules.

I'm not in wargaming yet, but I'm thinking about starting. Is Malifaux a good place to start?

Yes and no.
It's got a decent core system, and virtually everything you need to play besides the core card flip mechanic is on the cards that come with the models.
However, it's brutally complex in places, the system is very different from nearly every other wargame, nearly every single rule has more than one special case that breaks it, even small games have a shitload of very different moving parts and analysis paralysis is 2 reel.

It's still pretty easy to learn though, and I find it one of the most enjoyable wargames I've ever played.

All the Resser pre-releases, transparent Hamelin, Dr Dufresne and Johanna. I went in with a friend and got to over $300 so got the 4 limited models. Though I'm selling the Guild Seargent to another friend because I don't see myself ever playing Guild.

Incidentally, anyone know where I could get the plastic Sebastian and Zombie Chihuahua. I don't like the normal Dr McMourning but seeing as I got Dufresne I should probably get his totem and henchman.

Molly summons models that explode on you, gives out black blood to her models and can give models Reactivation.

She also likes horrors so Wp checks

You can get singles at gadzooks gaming or try and hunt down the metals. Be forewarned, singles tend to get spendy.

posting from mobile so can't reply to the first user too

she also has some nasty debuff potential (slows, paralyzes, - to all flips forever). And two 0s that pass AP out via a friendly horror/spirit obey and reactivate for minions. There's an upgrade that goves her instinctual that I've yet to try

Adding to , I've never played against Colette yet. All I know is I feel like Anna and Yin would really earn their keep

Colette has her scheme shenanigans, places, Df triggers, get out of jail free card, and a friendly obey-like action. Kill her support system.

Slow, Paralyze and -ves, alongside Reactivate to her own stuff, sounds pretty irritating to play against.

As for Colette, I find she's predominantly about Prompt (friendly model takes a 3" push and then any (1) action) first and scheme marker generation second, with the ridiculous mobility a side-effect of those two.

Her thematic crew can easily throw scheme markers 6" as a (0) action while engaged, which is why any Marker scheme is so good for her.

Add to that, her Mechanical Dove totems count as Scheme Markers for friendly action purposes, as well as being able to give +ve to Ca/Df/damage by sacrificing.

Mobility-wise, she can teleport nearby Minions or Showgirls (her whole thematic crew) to a Scheme Marker in LoS up to 14" away - she can fling models all over the damn place between Marker throwing and Dove flight.

I actually find her Df triggers a very minimal part of the game.
I've only had to use them a dozen times in several dozen games, and most of those was one game having most of a McMourning crew chase her around my deployment zone Turn 4 and 5 (having almost tabled me end of Turn 3).

Looking at Molly's card, is she not an auto-pick when Neutralize the Leader is the pool, or are all the Ressr masters that hard to put (back) down?

I know I'd be (hopefully) running Joss against her, but nothing else ont eh field is doing and damage worth mentioning unless I gangbang her with the whole crew for two full turns.

Resser masters are notoriously tough. Big wound pools, hard/impossible to wound, self heals, all that crap.

Best way to drop Molly is multiple high min damage attacks.

>Best way to drop Molly is multiple high min damage attacks.
I guess so - in that respect Howard is ideal for that, with Ml 7 min. 4 necessitating the Materful Dead to stay healthy, and then the Decapitate trigger meaning she drops two .more. cards or dies.
A Langston charge could eat a six-card hand in one activation.

Remember that after she drops the damage to one she can then stone to prevent that one entirely, so if decapitate or the like are showing it will cost her a stone rather than the two cards. So Langston will be more like two cards and two stones on an ideal charge. Good disruption ether way.

Just had my first game today, Wong vs Yan Lo. Alas, it was a bit of a crushing defeat, 7VP to 1VP. S'alright though, I'll get him next time...

Good attitude, learn what you did wrong and improve. I take it you were Wong?

Also as I have just started Resers what is Bete Noire good at/When do you use her? Even with her mechanic to keep coming back she seems very frail and her damage is a bit lacking. Maybe hunting party and/or collect the bounty

Jumping on her early and draining cards will shut down her summoning hard.

Nice, hope you had fun. Wong is pretty crazy, what were you running with him?

She's a disruptive model that never dies so long as you keep a 10 crow in hand.

just getting back into malifaux, play guild and neverborne, want to try out ten thunders too

what the heck is THIS suppose to do for me?

Also, I was wondering if these types of encounters can be ran solo potentially?

Any particular masters that seem to benefit from her? And does it need to be a crow? Looking at book one the crow is built in. I'll probably try her a few tries before my finally verdict.

First, you get the Spawn Mother and Gupp swarms. Normal models for the Neverborn to use...normally.

Second, it also has some encounters that use the same models. I don't know myself what those encounters are, though if they are like the University of Transmortis then at least one will be single player.

Just his crew box. 35 SS game. However, my mate's got me Burt, Sammy and Merris, so I'll have a bit more flexibility next time.

I think she works well with most masters, though maybe not Molly with all her discarding and hunger for high crows.

Notably:
McMourning can throw zombie chihuahua in to die and pop her out

Tara can pop her out with no effort at all

Reva can kill off corpse candles (including the one from her ltd upgrade) to pop her out wherever

Molly can summon a necrotic machine in to die and bring her out

And she's solid in her own right with other masters

It's any 10, my bad. Haven't played ressers in a while. I ran her with Seamus for that extra unpredictable threat. Anything like turf war will find her lots of opportunities to cause problems.

Since it seems like resser questions day, I might as well ask: How do you guys tend to use the new generic resser upgrades? I know My Little Helper is amazing in general, but I don't hear about much else.

How often do they offer the translucent and dayglow varients?

I'm trying to rack up 300 dollhairs in my order for those exclusives, and wondering if wasting my money on stuff that's readily available is wise over things that don't often go on sale.

also does anyone know if the dayglow is worth it at all over the translucent? I just feel like doing lighting effects or stuff would always look better with the former.

this legit looks awesome though

How do I summon guild guard?

I dont understand what summon means beyond "comes into the game after it's started"

Captain Dashel's new personal upgrade in book 4 lets him summon Guild Guard with a Wk-resisted duel

Any 10+ will do. I often sandbagged her and loved her in McMourning. I will say one thing from personal experience, she wrecks Jack Daw.

I've seen her most often used in Tara though, but I don't have personal experience.

Dude, I LOVE Dashel

fuck yes, my main man is getting sexy as fuck

Gotta stock up on my remaining guard models -- really wonder how horseback ones perform

Oh an unrelated question but... What does "nightmare mode" mean on these limited editions? I like the look of the hanging tree, but fuck me running is it expensive.

They are generally available during the Black Friday and sometimes other sales. They are also given out for prize support so they come up on trade forms and e-bay.

As for witch one to go with I find translucent has more value simply because day-glow can be imitated with the right color paint. So it's up to you based on what you like or want to do with the models.

In book 4 there is an upgrade for the Guild that lets Captain Dashel summon them.

An ability must explicitly state that it is summoning a model. The model is placed according to the wording of the summon. The summoned model has slow and may not take interact actions for the remainder of the turn. Most summoning will also do damage to the summoned model but that is handled by each ability.

Nightmare means that it is a special alt version. In this case the Hanging Trees are actually alternative hanged, who happen to be attached to some very nice looking trees.

Nightmare Edition means that it is a different looking models for existing stuff. The hanging trees are basically terrain with the smaller ones being legal proxies for The Hanged.

Nightmare Edition Dark Carnival counts as Colette's crew box.

They are also not sold in stores and are only available for Black Friday and prize support.

Mounted Guards are baller as fuck. Dumping an Executioner on somebody is a barrel of laughs.

Thanks for the info

311 dollar order placed. And yet I have no use for 3 of the 4 exclusive models... But dat sweet sweet Fem Dashel tho.

I'm SO going to greenstuff a fat gut on her, and maybe figure out something better for her hair.

Isn't she supposed to be a Sergeant, not a captain like Dashel? You could proxy her either way of course, I am just wondering what kind of card she comes with.

No lie, but I've been waffling super hard on picking up a Guild box so I can use her. Is she only good for lucius?

Dashel was a Seargeant at one point

She's IS rule 63'd Dashel

I really shouldn't type with one hand anymore, holy shit.

I love the guild guard synergy, regardless of Lucius or not. Played guards with Lady Justice to good effect.

Well both as a Sargent or Dashel she will give buffs to other guardsmen. So a list with Guild Hounds, Riflemen, Austringers, etc can benefit.

Lucius and McCabe come to mind but they are by no means the only ones.

Dashel is good for guardsmen. He's not terribly popular since he's expensive for a buff bot, but the summon helps.

So what core would you need to make the Guard Sarge worth it? What about for Dashel?

I wanna try Nicodem at some point, going off the schemes and stones budget list. I already have crooligans. Do I really need necropunks if I have a bunch of dead orphans?

Hey, thinking about introducing Malifaux to our nerd association over where I live, would getting the starter set be a good idea?

You would need it and two crew boxes, ideally Sonnia and Lilith's, in order to have full games. Otherwise yeah, it comes with fate decks and tape measurers (Not the shitty sticks that other two player starter sets come with). Then set up some markers and terrain, and you should be groovy.

What's good for markers? We already have a ton of terrain for Warhammer

He gives out + to Sh and focus as a (0) so Riflemen are the obvious go to. His ability specifically forbids austringers from benefiting. Wardens, Guard, Sergeants, Mounties, Pathfinders, and Hounds are all Guardsmen as well.

You can do a Guild Guard tarpit and the + flips can make that Sh4 tolerable. Riflemen gunline is a thing, though very fragile. Wardens are boss in general. Hounds can get surprisingly dangerous with focus. Pathfinders can drop blasts pretty easily with free focus as well. You also might get good use from Allison and her guardsmen-friendly trigger.

The problem all non-Warden guardsmen have is that they're rather fragile.

For Dashel himself, his summoning is a given. I occasionally run Dampening Field if I'm expecting annoying auras I want to turn off.

Lucius and McCabe are the obvious friends of Dashel with all the obeys or minion buffing. Dita doesn't mind the extra activations while she runs off murdering things. McMourning is an option for precise. Sonnia is pretty locked in to blastfest. Hoffman likes his robo bros too much. Nellie prefers a more elite crew. Lady J could benefit from some decent covering fire and point defense.

Malifaux uses 30mm markers, mainly for schemes, but it will also need some for corpses and scrap depending on what you are using. Either use 30mm bases and label them accordingly, use the faction logos on the sides of the boxes (They are exactly 30mm), or by some acrylic ones from custom meeple and the like. And remember, you can get steep discounts on new products via ebay.

But I thought markers where supposed to be completely flat, like stickers. Won't it be a bit cumbersome to use bases?

You can put the model on top of bases. In the end they are just for show. The game doesn't use TLoS so it's not like having a model on top of another base will affect anything.