Your last character has been afflicted with the brand of sacrifice. What happens?

Your last character has been afflicted with the brand of sacrifice. What happens?

What is it and what does it do?
I've never read Berserk so I can't give any response.

You're now a beacon that every monster in the setting can see and when you die your soul empowers some asshole that branded you.

Paraphrased; I stopped reading a while ago.

Are there demons nearby?

>Are there demons nearby?
You bear the brand of sacrifice so the answer is always yes.

Mm, well, presumably my character hunts down whoever branded her and fucking kills them, with full support of my party. Our current quest involves tracking down a characters parents because they made a wish for eternal youth in exchange for their youngest child. Said child is not in the party, the idea alone is enough to get us on board

Depending on which character, either nothing changes (because they're already magnets for trouble) or whoever tried branding them gets a hefty smiting from the Powers That Be.

All my lower power characters just die horribly, I guess.

Keeps on fighting until he dies without any real purpose

YOU GET ON A BOAT

FOR YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEARS

OH WHAT'S THAT YOU GOT OFF BOAT?

DON'T WORRY, YOU STILL HAVE THE RETURN TRIP.

>The campaign lasts a decade and nothing happens.
Good game.

No effect, you can't be sacrificed twice and there's a Greater Daemon of Slaanesh that has a prior claim on my soul. On the bright side, she's probably super pissed at whomever tried to jump her claim, which means that while she's distracted I can get back to worrying about being flayed by the Necron I cheated.

Kek

Honestly? They probably fucking die, what with being an astral beacon waist-deep in the Plane Of Things That Like To Eat People and all. Guts has at least 30 layers of plot armor.

Please, the Demon City literally cannot handle me, considering my characters past life shares a sizable responsibiltiy for putting them there in the first place. And considering I hang out with a dozen other Celestial Exalted...

MORE VIOLENCE

I guess I get sacrificed unless this asshole comes to save me after losing an eye, an arm, all my friends, my dignity, my waifu, my zweihander...

Sounds like ur fukt m8, good luck with that.

Playing a level 43 barbarian/frenzied berserker/berserker in heavily modified homebrew 3.5e D&D. Pretty sure I'd be fine, but I think it depends on if it attacts monsters of the power level seen in berserk or in universe. There are some BAD ASS demons in epic level D&D so I might be fucked despite my character level.

You fucking demons think you understand goetia? You think merging astral with the physical will give you an advantage over me?

My character is a Mastigos Awakened with power over mind and space with some ability in elemental forces. I think he's more equipped than most characters to break the Godhand's back.

>43 barbarian/frenzied berserker/berserker

So you are literally playing Guts

Mistakes were made but I became fabulously wealthy in the process so it's all good.

I'm pretty sure at that point our GM would need to change the Ryuujin from Green to Red at that point.

That guy looks dope, who is it

I'd actually love to hear more if you have time.

Skull Knight.

He's pretty dope.

Yes, except I use an axe instead of a sword. It turns out trading 1 attack for 4 damage is a pretty good trade when you have 87 str, who would have fucking thought.

Skull Knight, he's basically a deus ex machina to keep Guts from getting himself killed. Repeatedly throughout the series.

Oh, I thought the file name was some kind of pun. Still, guy looks dope.

>literally free XP pool
Nice, please, come, human buffet is open, don't worry, easy prey just ahead.

8th level Anima char. Technicia/Mentalist Warrior with 16 on every physical stat

Skull Knight. His identity is never explicitly explained, but it's heavily suspected he's the legendary unifying king who decided to defy fate and the Gods and say fuck you to the Apostles.

He rides around murdering what amount to Daemon Princes and stealing their bauble of power. He then swallows said bauble of power and keeps it in his stomach, where he has formed them into a sword that cuts reality.

It still isn't enough to kill the big bad but I guess it wouldn't be much of a series if the protagonist wasn't the one to end it

>Someone tries branding Sathoth Yai'Adaru, The Hungry Dark Between The Stars
Well. One of her Aspects can just be geared to demon-punking. Maybe split of a Hunter.

"WOAAHH BRO CHECK THIS SWEET ASS BRAND I GOT LAST NIGHT!"

"NO MAN I DON'T REMEMBER GETTING IT AT ALL! BUT CHECK IT- THIS THING FUCKING GLOWS EVERYTIME I POUR SOME OF MY BEER OUT AND IT FEELS LIKE I JUST DID A BUMP BRO! FUCKING AWESOME BRUH!"

Me too. I haven't had a good storytime in a while.

She calls her boss, and he sends a cease-and-desist alleging tortious interference with an ongoing contract. Said cease-and-desist probably involves chains and/or fire.

Her soul is already forfeit, a pact of damnation that she seeks to deepen with every soul claimed so that when at last her own is dragged down she might be promoted to something useful to the infernal queen she is sworn to. She and the party employ many demons and monsters in their lairs, along with innocents and agents of the gods being turned to the ways of darkness.

If anything, she tries to learn more about this brand and whether or not it can be of any use to her. Along the way it is unlikely that any of the minions can actually harm her if they were turned against her, for she had grown into something more than mortal by the end of the campaign, unable to be slain by anything less than the righteous weapons of the heavens.

tl;dr, high level 3.PF casters are pure bullshit and even worse when gestalted.

Edgy

Well my last character was and still is a high level D&D 3.5 character, and you know what those all devolve into. I imagine it would go something like...

Heh heh heh heh ha HAH HAHAHAHAHA

COME GET ME
YOUR GOD HAND BETTER STEP IT UP OR THEY WILL RUN OUT YOU

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

And to think my character is the peaceful laid back one.

Yeah, was a Dungeon Keeper game so went for over the top villainy. Of course she was also a hypocritical idiot half the time and not nearly as helpful to the party as she liked to imagine.

Nothing, the Spanish Inquisition already took care of the worst demons.

I try removing the brand. Not just with magic and shit, but also by having that bit of flesh removed.

After that, I go find that asshole and rip him a new one.

It actually sounds terribly Mary-Sueish when I put it all down, but the short version is that my Rogue Trader is actually 1/64th Eldar and the Slaaneshi daemon in question had a serious hateboner for Great Great Great Great Grandma, which is itself a long and Mary-Sueish story.

Anyway, some Slaaneshi cultists had summoned this daemon bitch and we didn't have the firepower to forcefully banish her - but we could bargain to get her to go back to the Warp. So, I offered her my pointy-eared ancestor's soulstone, which was a family heirloom... except what I actually gave her was a shiny rock that our Astropath was charging up. Needless to say, now she has a serious hateboner for me, too.

As for the Necron, I stuffed its head into a stasis cask for ten thousand years thanks to some time travel shenanigans.

What if my last character is basically a lich with multiple phylacteries?

She's a psychic child with disabilities and uncaring parents who pretty much abandoned her to live her life in haunted hospital.
She's pretty much screwed.

Although, there is a literal Angel who works there as a nurse and the hospital is run by The Fallen Angel, Sammael, themself.
So the Angel will be helping to keep her protected and Sammael may even step in, depending on how they regard soul ownership of the victims, sorry, paitents.

Speaking as a Kuni Witch hunter, IDK. Die a happy and honourable death? Literally the plot of Berserk but with less rape and more samurai? Orgasm? All of the above?

Probably all of the above not necessarily in that order.

It's not as simple as that.

The brand can't be so easily used. In fact, the person branded must be the most valuable person(or people) to the one enacting the ritual.

Probably gratuitous rape and almost rape that drags on and on and on.

The movies were good because the format forced them to pace things properly.

>DBZ
Griffif gets blown up so he can go back to training for the one person he wants to fight to begin with. He didn't wish himself into a sayian to fight some fuck with fancy parlor tricks. He wants to face the champ!
>Shadowrun.
My shadow's completely fucked. She isn't even remotely equipped to deal with that sort of shit so unless she can get the brand removed as fast as possible the girl's going to be a walking disaster magnet.
>Pokemon.
Question, do demons even exist in Pokemon? Does this mean ghost or dark types are now after him? Is Giratina affected by that shit? Darkrai? I really have no idea.

Oh shit, is it Devilman shitposting time already?

you get trapped on a boat for several years

God I love Devilman. Not only does it hold up well in its own right, it's even better when you take it in the context of the time period it was created, and realize how much the ending was inspired by the political climate of the time.

>political climate of the time.
Please spoonfeed for someone with the historical Japanese political awareness of a lung fish.

My character is already pretty much Guts but more cheery and with his own party, so I guess he becomes more cynical from whatever events led to getting the brand and then goes through his own Black Swordsman arc.

Well I'm the half son of Hastur so I guess I sacrifice my teammates to become a god

I live out the rest of my days in my isolated demiplane reading books occasionally surfacing to exhange with a library, rope bunker style.

I've got a decent chance for a while, if I can find places to rest now and then, like Guts. Large size Half-Giant with a Gargantuan Battleaxe that hits as if it is one size category larger. My weapon is about 32 feet long. I've got a decent shot at crushing a lot of the shit he faces, but some of it would be ridiculously high level. I don't think he'd drag the party into it, so he'd likely die after a while.

My Runner is a non-combat adept with social talents and a cactus kitten.

He fucked.

He has already acenden and exists as a god in the Aether. The thing that was marked was merely his avatar, a spell casted in the supernal realms, ment to gather more data about the current state of the Phenomenonal world. The spell cares not of its fate, for it is but a musing of a god.

Once that avatar is dispelled the acended archmage will send down another. This one, however, it will serve a far more specific purpose.

Do the demons count as summons? If yes, my character is rather in luck, since Protection from Chaos is her favorite spell, and I haven't since a lot of them use weapons in Berserk.
What happens next is that she tries to arrest them all, seeing as they're "willing" to follow her.
She's not the sanest person, but she *is* going to enforce the Law.

I can never get over how distraught Zodd looks in this picture. Just look at his puppy eyes.

FOR THE CURSE OF LIFE IS THE CURSE OF WANT

Well one's a robot, so I'm not sure he has a soul to take? Does it even work in that case?

The other is a demon hunter paladin styled gunslinger, so I guess he gets down to business and starts shooting

I suppose a champion of Khorne would see the brand of sacrifice as a test from the Chaos Gods.

My CoC investigator fails her first sanity roll when the first demon attacks and dies horribly after a brutal rape.

Absolutely nothing.

So it's basically just a magical version of a crimelord putting a hit on you. Assholes try to kill you because King Asshole wants you dead. Feels like the "and he gets more powerful when you die" thing is largely irrelevant.

I could be wrong about that, but I'm probably not. Does anyone ever try to imprison Guts without killing him to prevent his soul from being used to empower King Asshole, or is that not really a significant element of the mark?

Also
My last character was a high level 5e Warlock. I live in Sigil. I stand in line behind angels and demons when buying groceries. And here's the most terrifying brag that a DnD character can employ: my GM is generous with magic items.

Yeah, you'd better run.

my Character is basically GUTS if he was a 42 year old man who just wants to retire.

This would be pretty amusing.

I wouldn't be too surprised. His goal in life is trying to undermine or kill the assassin god by wiping out followers and spreading textes implying he's less of a God and more of a bogeyman. He's only safe because the assassin God doesn't kill royalty and odds are his gambit would require too many lifetimes to do more than piss off the cult. Point is he's already marked.

My character has already slain several demons and the area under his house was hollowed out and turned into an anti-fae and anti-demon armory/bunker.

I continue to hone my Hide bonuses until I simply slip out of reality. I've already reached the point where I'm considered to have full concealment as long as I'm not being focused on, regardless of environment. Not much further until I become an un-person.

>Last character was Comedy Movie Jackie Chan.
>NoTrableIntensifies.png

>Level 23rd Wizard/Pale Master
>Have several thousand skeletons, kitted with armor and weapons
>Have a pocket dimension full of even more
>Have already killed three gods
>Ascended to god hood previously
>God of Harvest/Economy
>Have a succubus follower who gives advice

Literally the only issue here is that my phylactery is stored in my pocket dimension, which is rather hard to guard if I'm not there. But if my character is branded, they'd just go there to defend themselves.

DtD, and I'm playing a Chosen. Tzeentch throws the biggest shitfit, because my soul is supposed to empower Him after my death, not some random jerkoff halfway across the Wheel. Unless it's him that branded me, in which case it'll be another case of just as planned, no matter what happens.

She's a goddess, though she doesn't know it yet.
All the party are gods in the making.

Anything that comes after her is getting taken down in very short order.

What's more worrying is who placed the brand.
From what I understand you can only brand someone who is very close to you and for her, that's a somewhat small list.

She'll probably be a bit incensed when she finds out someone very close to her is trying to sell her soul.

My character is actually already afflicted by the setting's version of the brand of the sacrifice. The whole party is, and the very objective of the campaign is to go deep down into the abyss to kill archdemons and get rid of the curse.
So idk, now I must fight TWICE AS MANY DEMONS?

Good.

Well, going based off of the info in and , she first feels super-pumped that someone believes her to be incredibly valuable. Abandonment issues ho!
But I hope those demons weren't planning on trying to take her soul for themselves, as she's going to be punching them with it, repeatedly.

>Anima
MyMan!
lvl 14 Exellion/Hanja/Lama Tsu/Selene Tao right here.

Well, my Bard is basically the party cleric, sooo...

Cut off the skin with the brand then heal myself.

Would the brand even effect Liches? I ask because I too am currently playing a lich and was wondering if he should just be laughing this off or not considering his soul isn't even technically in his current body.

>when you die your soul empowers some asshole
nope, that is wrong and false.
That asshole has power by himself due to the nature of the universe. Sacrificing you is just the step he needs to remove himself from humanity and acquire that power. What happens to you after he decides to sacrifice you has no relevance to him.
It's just a sybolic thing like.

The most recent Veeky Forums character is a 2,300 year old vampire in a World of Darkness setting. He can raise the shroud of any area he's in for a month to make it harder for spirits to manifest, his haven is protected by a powerful spirit, ghouls, and basic occult runes, he doesn't take aggravated damaged from fire or high temperatures, and is as strong and fast as a player character can be in the setting. Oh, and he can Nightcrawler teleport. He could survive the day to day, probably defeat Apostles, but Femto is a literal god and would have no issue killing him.

Most recent character period is a Shaper from Geneforge. Essence allows him to survive for days or weeks with no food or sleep, and his creations could protect him, but I'm not sure that he'd even survive an Apostle. Hell, eventually trolls would probably overtake him.

I leave the tattoo parlor and head downtown to pick up some shitty microbrews and case the Apple store

Didn't we have a thread a while back where we worked out Guts is a ranger? I mean, he's so heavily based on the use of his kit and he duel wields his sword and cannon pretty effectively. He's got a pixie that basically is attached at the hip that is his excuse for healing spells. I an't remember the rest.

>Owlbear stat block

He krumps some gits, than he krumps the spiky gits, then he krumps the weird gits, then if gets krumped the sorceror just bring him back with their weird ass soul bond thing she hooked him into. He might come back as a gretchin but whatevs.

Oh, and the sorceror brutally, BRUTALLY murders whoever put the mark on me. I'm talking torture in the warp for glory of slaanesh shit. Every year is actually only an hour and all is overseen by a greater deamon to ensure it is done properly sort of brutality.

Could it be possible that in some strange way (time shenanigans maybe) that the Skull Knight is actually Guts from the future?

Depends. Other anons have said it's basically being cursed from Dominions. Monsters seek you out to rip you a new asshole. Personally I'd try to arrange a meet up with monster leadership to reverse it for manipulating their peeps into offing themselves on me.

I like your attitude user. Story teim?

Just another undying doll for a Nechronica campaign. Stuff like that are just par for the course, really.

No, because Zodd is already future Guts.

Considering my character is toted as the buttbaby of Alexandros the Great and Lu Bu and ruling over the largest land empire in the world I'd say whoever put this brand on is too late. If the spear that pierces the essence of existence can't kill it it literally can't be killed.

You forgot that it has some inherent benefits that are quirks of its actual malicious intent.

The demon brand makes you able to sense the presence of demons via the fact that it bleeds when a demon draws near.
More significantly, it's stated to put the branded "a half-step outside of reality," which means that it's significantly harder to inflict moral harm upon a branded by nature of their slight immateriality.

>it's stated to put the branded "a half-step outside of reality,"
Wasn't it said that since Guts has spent so long Branded without being sacrificed that he is actually becoming more disconnected from the Mortal plane

>Does anyone ever try to imprison Guts without killing him to prevent his soul from being used to empower King Asshole

Most people think "King Asshole" (Griffith) is a good guy, a heroic god-emperor who saved the kingdom from demonic invaders by turning demons and giants to the side of good. Only Guts and a few others know the truth.

Also, imprisoning Guts will only work in an area protected by angelic or elvish blessings, otherwise ghosts that can move through walls will still get him. He's been imprisoned several times by people who think he's the source of all the demon attacks, and his elf buddy Puck helps him escape.

last character was a paladin.
full on templar style
so I guess I smite all the evil,
and probably go down swinging

as to the soul
when I swore the oath and took up the sword, it became gods, and he will not allow you to take what's his.In nomine Dei

It's not so much that they've put a hit on you, as it is them saying you're okay to kill.
You're a sacrifice, an offering to the things that go bump in the night.
The brand of sacrifice is literally a brand (like you brand cows) signifying that you have been sacrificed. Thus, brand of sacrifice.

Guts and Casca are sort of unique in that they managed to survive being sacrificed, largely thanks to the Skull Knight

God I hate those threads. They always become an endless wank about how powerful, immortal and super-cool their characters are.

My Deathwatch campaign just got real.

>try to remove it
>pray Emperor for salvation, it hurts and feels wrong
>let's do it with sorcery!
>fail everything possible, phenomenas and demons appear
>character is dead, lots of other people are dead, hive city turned into chaotic mess
>probably more brands will appear on those who survive?

We see the Brand burnt all the way down to the bones of its victims, so if you want to remove it you better hope it appeared somewhere you can easily amputate.
Though I suspect amputating the afflicted bodypart would just cause it to brand itself on you elsewhere.

It's even worse. You can never sleep safely again. Ghost haunt you every fucking night.

>We see the Brand burnt all the way down to the bones of its victims
Nigga, it's burnt all the way down to the soul. Let me know when you figure out how to amputate that.

Shadowrun augs.

Most of the popular systems you tend to be pushing demi-godhood in just a few levels.
Guts himself is pretty much around level ten in terms of DnD or Pathfinder.

If you look there are a few people saying they get killed quickly and ingloriously or otherwise only survive because of their party or in-game friends. Much like Guts himself needs Deus Ex Machi-Skull Knight on occasion.