/5eg/ - D&D 5th Edition General

Geek Rock edition

>Latest News
Cleric Divine Domains: dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/cleric-divine-domains
Don't forget to give your opinion in the Bard survey!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Previous thread
>Topic
How would you design a setting themed around "classic" rock, especially the more illustrative types like folk rock, psychedelic rock and progressive rock? Hard mode: no heavy metal.

Other urls found in this thread:

scifinow.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Hawk-The-Hunter-2.jpg
aolx.tmsimg.com/iconic/h12/AllPhotos/36465/p36465_i_h12_aa.jpg
donjon.bin.sh/5e/magic_items/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>How would you design a setting themed around "classic" rock
Rock idols would be the lords of every city, and give the party tons of "for the fans" requests.

>PDF
That's gonna become the /5eg/ version of the rickroll, isn't it?

I almost clicked it, but then I saw it was 1.45 MB.

>that feeling when you cleared your homebrew of any possible furry characters

it's a feeling of relief

Humans are basically anthro-apes, so your setting still contains furries/anthroes.

Yeah it's a little big - I'll shrink it

Joke's on you, the only race in my homebrew is elves. One thousand subraces, all of elves.

This. One time some faggot wanted to play a carfolk in my campaign and I said no and he whined like a bitch, so I just caved and let him do it. First session his sexy catfolk rogue got roofied and brought to a room where she was raped by six different men. That could have been the end of it but no she was pregnant. Turns out one if her rapists was a Wight and she was having twin Wight babies which when achieving maturity decided to eat her alive during childbirth and as a result she died. The guy tried to play another catfolk with the same stats and at that point I told him to get the fuck out of my apartment.

You're the DM why didn't you just not let this happen in the first place? The player's only control one character last I checked, it's up to you if anyone else rapes her, who it is, and if she gets pregnant.

It's bait, user.

Are carfolk a drag racing subtype of warforged?

Yes. And they dress in drag, hence the degeneracy.

Another question for 5eg, what's a setting (besides the ones constantly mentioned) that you'd like to see brought up to 5th edition?

It'll never happen, but I'd like to see Red Steel (Gonzo new frontier where the dirt gives you super powers and cancer unless you wear more dirt) and Dragonstar (Flash Gordon/Original Battlestar Galactica meets D&D).

>besides the ones constantly mentioned
I don't know what those are but all I want is Dark Sun

Yeah, TSR wanted to cash in on the Transformers boom, so they added it as a warforged subtype back in the 90s. Right around the time they introduced Saurials.

Does virt usually show up in /5eg/?

Guise, I need a good solo (1 player, 1 DM) module. Anybody got anything?

Sometimes the players just... Do really stupid things. Was once in an admittedly terrible game that I tried my best to enjoy myself in regardless, where one player's female silver dragonborn decided to disrobe in our common sleeping room, because "she's silver dragonborn and thus prefers the cold"... THEN she tries to go snuggle up to the DMPC (yes, THAT kind of game.. ugh) who shoos her away... so she decides to go sleep outside. Still in the nude. So yeah, bad things happened, but let's face it, the player acted like an idiot, and when players act like idiots they have to suffer some consequences.
I quit that game shortly afterwards regardless, the DMPC schtick was getting infuriating and he continued to treat the dim player like crap instead of helping them (their dragonborn was a wizard but the player misremembered the primary stats for a wizard and put the best rolls in wisdom).

Not anymore.

>when players act like idiots they have to suffer some consequences.
And some players act out so that you will punish their catgirl and they can get off to it. Read the table and shut shit down without feeding into their fetish.

Yeah, you've got a point there.

Best class and specialization for a classy, reasonable evil character? Was thinking necromancy, but I'll be playing with another necromancer and would rather find my own jam.

Any type of wizard really, or possibly a dragon sorc playing up the dragon traits.

Honestly? Any of them work really since its all in how you play them. But I guess fighter and wizard come to mind as the most classic 'classy bad guy' classes.

Liking what I'm hearing, thanks for the insight.

i wanna fuck a mul woman

Maybe this is just my mild OCD kicking in but I'm having a hard time figuring out how Ring Mail armor works. From what I gather, "ring mail" doesn't even exist proper, and any visual I can find of something fitting the bill is only a vest (one-handed guy from Hawk The Slayer, and Berek from the second Dungeons & Dragons film) of the materials. Hardly "heavy armor" material...
scifinow.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Hawk-The-Hunter-2.jpg
aolx.tmsimg.com/iconic/h12/AllPhotos/36465/p36465_i_h12_aa.jpg
Obviously this is a fantasy world but I'd still like the armor to make some sense... Been thinking of substituting it for something else, like maybe full-body lorica segmentata....
Anyone have any suggestions?

A new edition of a game should never strip away a playable race from an earlier edition.

Ring mail literally does not exist and has never existed. You can stop pondering this.

Yeah, I gathered that. I'm just saying even "fantasy interpretations" of ring mail are just leather vests with rings embedded in em.
Which is why I wanna use a different armor for the "lowest AC heavy armor", but I'm not sure what.

Maybe a similar style that is small plates sewn to leather.

Or small patches of chain worked into leather.

Thoughts on the non-/pol/ part of this?

So /5eg/, how would I go about refluffing Wizards into spellcasters who gain their power by ingesting potions, drugs, and poisons? Something a little like a spallcasting Witcher.

Swap it with Scale Mail on the list?

My only thought is this:
I really want to play a Revenant (CoS UA) path of the zealot barbarian.

Why?

Because The goddamn Undertaker.

That might actually work. Not the ring mail part, mind you, but using the scale armor as the lowest Heavy Armor, and using Lorica Segmentata as the "same AC as breastplate (aka Lorica Musculata) but with a disadvantage on stealth" armor.
Thanks!

i would tie in using spell slots with imbibing potions

you can only craft so many during a long rest and overdosing poses a significant risk to your health without higher knowledge/level.

It would kind of make the Warrior of the Gods feature useless though.

Are you looking for mechanical or fluff changes? Fluff is easy - the action to cast a spell is now just drinking a potion.

Downgrade chain mail to ring mail's AC. replace the formerly higher AC with some other mail and plate mix armor

The only experience I had with this game was 3.5. How drastically different is it now?

Yeah, it would, but it's a sacrifice one must sometimes pay for the sake of flavor.
One of the players in my game plays a ranger who just really digs swords over any other weapon, and despite some appearances of +1 hand axes, continues to use his nonbonus swords, because the character feels swords to just be superior to axes.
It's weird, it's silly, but sometimes, you want to roleplay more than you want to "max out" a character.

Mechanically. Like you said, fluff is easy. But I'd like a means of mechanically representing the idea.

Very, very different (for the better in my opinion). The biggest change is that the system is now bounded instead of unbounded. That is your stats and rolls are expected to land in a certain range, unlike the nearly infinite growth a character could have in 3.5 As an example, with few exceptions stats are hard capped at 20.

Most of the complex math and proficiency have simply been boiled down to a proficiency bonus. If you are proficient in a save, skill, tool, or weapon you add your stat modifier and proficiency bonus. E.g. if two characters have a proficiency bonus of +2 and strength of +3, but only one is proficient in the longsword, their attacks with it will be +5 (proficient) and +3 (not proficient).

Skills have been simplified. Hide and Move Silently are now simply stealth. Spot and Listen are now just Perception, and so on.

Like skills, there are far fewer feats in the game now. They are also MUCH more powerful, with more powerful effects than what you would get in 3.5, as well as many which offer you several benefits.

Finally, it's very balanced. With a few exceptions everything is solid and you can play even radical race/class combos and still do alright. Wizards are strong but no longer outshine martials as much as they used to, fighters have the highest DPR in the game and so on.

Those are most of the biggest differences. I've found it very refreshing, and re-reading old 3.5 adventures has reminded me just HOW much better I think 5E is.

I get you, mang. Though usually if someone were gimping themselves by picking things that grant redundant features, I would grant them some little thing to make up for it. If you ever end up going through with that build, or something similar, then I would definitley recommend asking the DM if they'll grant you something else so you're not just punishing yourself.

Like when I played a Minotaur I asked if I could get a race specific form of charger so the bonus attack part of the feat wasn't redundant. They said I could replace that part of the feat with a +1 bonus to Strength or Dexterity since they knew how heavily I would be leaning on charging. Everyone was happy about it in the end.

what are some good low power magic items for a party consisting of a champion, open hand, bear totem, fiend/tome, undying light/tome, oath of nature and a college of lore?

When is the druid Unearthed Arcana coming out?

Next, but don't get your hopes up. It'll probably be shit.

Around two days from now.

I hope it's okay. I've got a new game coming up and want to try a different sort of druid this time around.

Your party is way too big and your request is much too vague. I suggest you use this: donjon.bin.sh/5e/magic_items/

3.5 was better anyway

Less incremental/situational bonuses/penalties, mostly replaced with the advantage/disadvantage system, where you roll 2d20 and take the higher/lower respectively.

BaB, saving throw progression, and skill ranks are no longer a thing, all classes now get a standard proficiency bonus between +2 and +6 that is tied to overall character level, and applies to any skill/tool/saving throw/weapon attack roll that you have proficiency with.

Spellcasters no longer get bonus spells per day for high casting stats.

Spellcasters are now limited to maintaining concentration on one ongoing spell at a time. Casting another spell that requires concentration will end the previous spell.

Fortitude, Reflex, and Willpower saving throws have been replaced. Now each individual Ability Score has it's own associated saving throw. Your class at 1st level determines which two saving throws you are proficient in to begin with.

Feats are now an optional part of the game, at the discretion of the DM. (Most DMs use them though). You now can take them in place of improving your ability scores as you level up. There are far less feats available to choose from, but individual feats offer multiple features at once for taking them. There are no longer feat chains.

"Caster Level" is no longer a game mechanic. Spells of 1st level or higher can be cast using a higher level spell slot, with many spells' effects scaling up per level of slot used.
Also there are very few Save-or-Die effects in the game outside of high-level play.

That is your opinion user, and you're entitled to it, but it's not a very popular one in this thread. Have fun playing your preferred edition though, since we don't.

Yeah, I might inquire about some sort of feature that'd allow me to reproduce Taker's "no-sell sit-up" move, but I'd need to find a game... and honestly, I've had so much bad luck with either terrible DMs or DMs that just end up cancelling the game shortly into it, that I just do not want to use LFG posts anymore.

What's your preferred method for finding a group? I've used /r/lfg and found an excellent in-person group within a couple of months.

>Ultimate Skill Monkey Rogue with as many skill proficiencies as possible to use with Reliable Talent using feats like Skilled
Or
>Sneaky Sniper with Skulker and Sharpshooter

Wat do???

I want to throw my players into a Berserk campaign. What level should I start them out in?

When a creature has Innate spellcasting and it lists 1/day or 3/day, is that like a spell slot or does it mean each spell can be cast that many times individually?

>each spell can be cast that many times individually
This.

Thanks

What's the best way of playing a Warforged in 5e? The Eberron UA seems kinda shitty, am I better off refluffing a Dwarf or Goliath?

Bullywugs riding Giant Beetles with Rhino stats, y/n?

>What's your preferred method for finding a group? I've used /r/lfg and found an excellent in-person group within a couple of months.
I've almost exclusively relied on Roll20's LFG, largely due to being somewhat new to the game (ran my first game in September 2015, have only been playing regularly since December of that year) and not knowing where else is good for finding groups.

It's ok

Sounds cool. Other cool mounts for bullywugs are giant leeches, but I have yet to find a good stat sheet for them and am too lazy to make it myself.

What monkey species are in DnD? I'm thinking about doing pic related as well. Anything in Volo's guide? Haven't had the time to sift through it yet.

Monkey species? None that I know of, but Goblins and Bugbears could reasonably be refluffed as such.

For player characters or just races in general?

I think there's baboon, monkeys, and apes at the back of the monster manual for generic beasts

If you think it's shit then just see if you can throw in another trait.

Anyone got any ideas for an optional trait to throw onto Warforged that would bring it properly on the level with other races, or do you guys think it's fine where it is.

Warforged tl;dr
+1 Strength and Constitution
Medium size
30' speed
+1 AC
Don't need to eat, drink, or breathe, but can still consume whatever if you want
Sleeping is replaced with a 4 hour period of inactivity, during which you do not dream and you are fully aware of your surroundings
Read/Write/Speak Common and one other language of your choice

I personally think it's fine if only becuase of the utility, but I can see how other people might find it lacking. The only thing I could really think to give them would be an advantage on saving throws against mind fuckery, since their minds are artificial. Anything else I could think of seems like it would put them over the edge.

I think a magical robot having resistance to "hacking" is reasonable.

I think the biggest advantage to being a warforged is mindflayers don't find you delicious.

Look up a homebrew robot race called Arcanatrons. Actually perfect for Warforged.

I guess.

Races in general.

Thinking more of humanoid apes like how Bullywugs are humanoid frogs, kuo-toa humanoid fish, etc.

Keith Baker (creator of the Eberron setting) has his own 5e warforged stats on his personal blog.

My party's (6th level) ranger and sorcerer get into a duel, who wins?

what type of ranger?

Hunter with sharpshooter

PHB or UA Revised?

Why the fuck mountain dorfs don't get shield proficiency? They are even called shield dorfs in FR, yet still no shields. This is bullshit.

PHB

The answer to who wins in a duel between PCs is usually "whoever wins initiative".

Oh, well then sorcerer hands down, assuming his spell selection isn't utter shit.

either way it'll be because they'll one shot each other. UA ranger would win because of advantage on initiative most likely.

I believe this man has the answer to all your problems

Are the spellbok cards out of print? Can't find anywhere with stock

I wish you to die screaming in a fire.

try Amazon

any way my character can become headless and still be alive?

You're better off just not

Be a revenant, though they are not really alive.

divine barbarian (until your rage ends)

I guess they're sold out everywhere in Europe because I can see them only for 50+ euros, and ordering from the US would end up about the same amount after shipping... fucking hell, the original price was 15 euros for the bigger decks.

>Gonzo new frontier where the dirt gives you super powers and cancer unless you wear more dirt

What?

Sex.

>linked pictures instead of posting them
>on an imageboard

Any point taking Shatter if I already have Fireball?

Only if you're a storm sorcerer, or expect to be fighting constructs.