Has there ever been a good Chaotic Evil PC?

Has there ever been a good Chaotic Evil PC?

If you mean good as in effective, sure. I've played with a few.

Honestly though, I've found that they work better in systems without explicit alignment designations; even if the same character transplanted into DnD or the like would clearly be chaotic evil. I find something about that CE label makes people act like over the top lolrandumb shitheads.

No. They're evil, not good.

Selfish impulses coupled with the active desire to work against established order don't tend to do well with good.
I suppose it could work if the character was working towards building up society, so he had more to tear down.

>I find something about that CE label makes people act like over the top lolrandumb shitheads.
Yeah. And if they don't do that, then someone who'd play them like that will accuse them of not being chaotic/evil enough.

Yep. Has to compulsively and consentually steal virginities in a society where people don't like that.

Don Juan.

no

>I find something about that CE label makes people act like over the top lolrandumb shitheads.

Also known as being bad role players.

underrated post

But what if that is literally what CE asks them to be?

There's the other side of it: Tightass DMs. Both negatives are valid possibilities.

Murderhobos.

I'd say Grigori "Don't worry, I am Doctor" Petrovich is an example of a well done CE PC.

Well done, sure. But not good, as in good/evil.

NPC - yes
Short-lived PC - yes
Lasting PC - no

The main issue of CE PC is that either they turn into NE or even LE, or they don't live long. Alternatively, they kill the rest of the group.

The only time it didnt end with bunch of problems was when entire party was basically playing post-apo bandits, all of them CE.
Half of the party ended up gutted by the remaining characters by the end of the first scenario, but it was fun.

I thought op meant by "good" CE PC a character who was undoubtibly Evil, but still played well with the other players and the campaign, in spite of, or because of alignment differences. Good execution, so to speak, since CE inherently implies that they are not good people.

The problem is that a Chaotic Evil PC is really hard to work in a party where people are usually Good, if not Neutral. So they only blend in with a party that is also evil, and the odds of finding a group of players playing an Evil game without it devolving into who can out-edgelord everyone else is also rare.

My group pretty unanimously agrees that one of the best pcs theyve ever seen was my CE one. It isnt that hard, you just have to remember that they are a human first and an alignment is just a part of that, unless i guess you are playing a litteral demon.

He grew up in a shitty, gang ridden city as an orphan. At the orphanage that did its genuine best to provide for kids like him (which wasnt actually enough to live on) there was a retired paladin who would enertain the kids with stories of his adventures loaded with morals. Unfortunately, the PC was not a very smart kid. He loved the stories for their adventure and the feeling of unshakable determination the paladin extolled, but he didnt really grasp the moral wisdom. His sense of morality came from what he had to do to survive on the streets, which was basically just inner city gang ethics (do anything for yourself and your gang, nothing else matters)

By the time of the campaign he was basically CE Kamina. Ludicrously brave, determined, supportive of his friends, and charasmatic. But he was also rediculously petty, vengeful, and sociopathic.

Of course, the key to making it work was that the party was always part of his "gang" in his mind, his family, and when they told him to hold back or to stop, he did. He was ultimately entirely a creature of emotion and whim, with no real sense of right and wrong, but he could function in a party and if you paid attention to him he was actually pretty easy to predict and manipulate.

Not to mention he's a murderer.

Well look, if the husband gets angry, it was self defense, you know?

I believe the key to CE is to actually be funny in how you do it. If you can amuse the group with your antics, rather than detract, you can do well.

Other option is, if you're in a party with some Lawful Goods: you're only CE to your enemies. And the LGs have to deal with the horrible flayings if they want to defeat the greater evil.

I've played Chaotic Evil PCs without it being a problem, the trick is to remember that you're playing a game and it's more important for everyone to have a good time than to do "what my character would do".

this

LE and NE have the most lasting power (id even say NE can stay alive longer than LE).

Ironically I would consider the Joker to be NE despite his frequent references to chaos. Ultimately he does what is best for him and he doesnt act -so- chaotically that he is a danger to himself. He's got so much intelligence he just cant be CE. Joker doesnt have any rules so yeah he isnt Lawful but that doesnt mean he isnt Neutral.

Chaotic Evil is quite simply a fiendish monster that lives for the damage it can do and while it would prefer to keep on doing that damage rather than die, its chaotic impulses force it to do things that can get it slammed 6 feet under. I mean post apocalyptic raiders are often also druggies to live high even though it can suddenly kill them by overdose or making them too foolish to survive encounters.

Neutral Evil is all about being of your own self interest and taking as much from others as you can. That means not getting yourself killed or shut down, so while an NE character might take some risks just like a Highwayman they want to live long enough to reap the apex of those rewards.

Ganondorf - thats an NE character not CE.

Darth Sidious - thats an NE character not LE (*except for the stupid code of sith lords to only have one apprentice, but beyond that he throws anything he can under the bus).

Usually you know who the NE characters are but not until its too late. The chaotic evil characters are the minions and monsters everybody identifies early and sends people to go kill.

Lawful Evil characters are like NE except they become too predictable and can be undermined at some point.

True. My current DM thinks CE means that you preform random acts of evil/violence just because. I wanted to be the Stalin, opposing monarchies because it denies the will of the people and by opposing I mean lopping off every head regardless of what they'd actually done.

It can be done, but it's difficult because the "default" CE character is a crazy murderhobo.

The way I would do it is to have the CE be generally amoral and not like playing by the rules, but still genuinely like the party. Maybe he has a friend he's willing to keep up appearances for, or has developed a dependency on the group. Just like Evil characters can be good to people they like and still be Evil, Chaotic people can be loyal (if not totally obedient) to someone while remaining otherwise Chaotic. You don't have to be full Chaotic Evil following your impulses all the time, you can wear a wear a civilized mask for a while. The alignment is more about the general attitude than specific actions. You don't stab the king in his throne room on impulse, you decide he's infringing on your personal freedoms and incite a rebellion.

Played smart, no one knows you're Chaotic Evil until the world is burning.

There's real clever ways of doing this:

You can be a militant anti-imperialist, like Captain Nemo, you're working to free the oppressed from the reigns of their leaders.

Secret Motive: By destroying empires, you break them into smaller warring factions that will never know peace again. You look like the hero, everyone's fucked anyway.

But, it takes a clever DM to actually see the other layers of CE. If he's a tightass, you're screwed out of doing a lot of interesting stuff.

I would call Ganondorf something closer to Lawful Evil. He plans, manipulates, and uses proxies and politics to get what he wants. He doesn't give a shit about anyone else's rules, but he generally sticks to a pattern in his evil schemes and thinks he's the best ruler for the job.

The only chaotic thing about him is when he's in full GANON ragebeast mode.

Theoretically possible, but I've yet to see it.

My ideal Chaotic Evil PC would to a Chaotic Good PC as the Operative in Firefly is to a Lawful Good one. They're a monster, they have no qualms about being a monster, but they believe in a cause they wholeheartedly believe is Good, and pursue it through any means necessary. They kill when they have to, torture when they must, lie and cheat and steal if it helps them accomplish their goal, but always have the mission in mind.

Sorry I'm a noob, what's the name of these comics again? I searched it before but forgot