/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Druid UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/druid-circles-and-wild-shape
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's clerics.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread What happens to the main enemy in your low-level campaigns (goblins, etc.) when the players become strong enough that fighting them is trivial?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1XW2PZgPpY2
youtube.com/watch?v=n9KxuAWZwiA
vocaroo.com/i/s0wxnN4mC2Z1
vocaroo.com/i/s1yZaDkVgz2c
vocaroo.com/i/s1tQKDq3BGg0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>What happens to the main enemy in your low-level campaigns (goblins, etc.) when the players become strong enough that fighting them is trivial?
I start applying their NPC racial traits from the DMG to higher-CR NPC stat blocks in the MM and VGM.

Which of these seems more promising for a Water Domain Channel Divinity?
Channel Divinity: Invigorating Waters
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to safeguard yourself and your allies.
As an action, you present your holy symbol and summon a barrier of magical water over a number of creatures within 30 feet up to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of one creature). These creatures gain temporary hit points equal to two times your cleric level. A creature protected by the barrier’s speed increases by 10 feet. The barrier lasts as for an hour, or until the temporary hit points it grants are depleted.
OR Channel Divinity: Churning Waves
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to tip your enemies’ balance.
As an action, you hold your holy symbol aloft and summon the force of a rushing river or crashing wave. Any hostile creatures within 30 feet of you must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If any of these creatures attempts to move more than 5 feet on their next turn, they must make the saving throw again or fall prone and lose their remaining movement.

I have yet to use Disarming Attack to actually dis-arm an enemy, but
Last session we were fighting a giant and I just wanted to apply the Blind condition. It was prone and Slowed, so I could reach its eyes, and I whipped out my pot of ink and tried smashing it in the giant's face. I figured it'd be 1d4+Str and maybe Blind, cool, mission accomplished.
>DM: wait, let me look up the damage for that
>Me: improvised weapons are just 1d4
>DM: there's another chart... here
>DM: give me 2d10
>mfw this giant is now rolling around (slowly) with ink and broken glass in his eyes and a jackass Warlock screaming rude things in its mind, utterly incapacitated

Channel Divinity: once per day you can get on your knees and beg to suck a Kossuthan's dick so that he spares your miserable life

Hobgoblins are best goblinoids.

>What happens to the main enemy in your low-level campaigns (goblins, etc.) when the players become strong enough that fighting them is trivial?

Large groups are usually enough to keep them relevant for a bit longer, as long as they've got some CR 1 elites. Outside of that, you need to give them siege monsters to follow into battle, or make higher level NPC captains to lead the charge.

Real talk here, what is it with you and Kossuth?

The main enemy is, and always has been, humanoids.

>The elves, they're not sending their best.

Alright, self-feedback, I think the first is a bit much.
>8th level, 20 Wis
>Give 80 THP spread out
>Life cleric is doling out up to 40
...Anyways, should it be an ally-buffing or enemy debuffing ability?

>Dm for the first time
>Per players request, we start at level 7
>Firbolg Barbarian burts through the porticullis
>the grid drops. It wasn't locked
>Exposes the relatively weak team to a siege attack from an archer and a phantom warrior with almost no way in
>I bullshit a secret passage well enough to keep the plot moving forqard
>He rages through five more doors
>None of them are locked though
>It becomes a meme where the Barbarian Crack bursts through every door, one more spectacularly than the last
>Eventually followdled by a "when you realize that the door wasn't locked"

Continuing my request for help with 5e setting world-building, reposting setting history as a fair warning.

>>Originally a high fantasy world
>Humans born from the raw magic of the world, also alongside dragons.
>Dragons, being uber-mary sues (in their own minds), achieve absolutely nothing.
>Humanity builds the first civilisation with the aid of sorcery, which eventually evolves into wizardry.
>Humanity spreads across the planet, eventually meeting the dwarves, who were born of elemental magic (fire, stone, metal, ice and storm).
>Humanity and dwarves make peace and trade; magic to dwarves, metalworking to humanity.
>Civilisations flourish, grow into "industrialised magic" type magitek world (ala Eberron).
>Elves show up on a flotilla of magical spaceships; species of arrogant fae necromancers & fleshcrafters, orphaned after their own world went kablooie.
>Humanity decides to be generous and let them move in, as there's plenty of untamed land still out there.
>Elves and dwarves promptly go to war with each other over usual realpolitik stupidity.
>Elves destroy a dwarven city with mutagenic plagues. Dwarves respond by mutating captured elf soldiers into first orks as expendable warrior-slaves.
>Orks get out of control and start fucking things up for everybody.
>Humanity gets sick of being caught up in crossfire; creates Warforged armies to bolster ranks and researches "megaspells" to wipe out whole armies at a time.
>Dwarves & Elves start work on megaspells too.
>Black Dawn happens; whole world is blown away in a storm of magical destruction and planar leaks, ala RIFTS.
>Generations later, survivors are trying to get shit back together in the mutated world left behind.

Haha damn that's a generous DM

Remember back in the late 80s / early 90s when everyone got up in arms about D&D leading children into Satan's grasp and teaching them occult secrets?

I became an actual IRL Kossuth worshipper then as an edgy teen in order to learn real magical spells.

>Worshipping a fictional deity

>IRL Warlock

>he doesn't know Kossuth was a real historical figure
google it kouhai

>Worshiping Hungarian filth

>fictional deity
Isn't that redundant?

But I can make an easy and remarkably safe living as a firefighter while saving lives and getting all the chicks.

Twice cleric level is too weak at level 2 and too strong at later levels.

Double proning every creature within 30ft is also too powerful. Making it have two saves results in it far too reliably locking down enemy movement.

However, depending on the other cleric features (mainly the level 1) it may be alright to keep either of those abilities as they are.

I'd probably go for the 'prone enemies' sort of an ability, though. Just make it more suitable.

Say, make it a giant version of thunderwave that prones instead of deals damage.

Enemies must make a strength save or be pushed back 15ft and be knocked prone by a giant, magical wave, within a 30ft-edged cube.
Probably add a secondary effect so it still does something even if they make the save. Leaving behind difficult terrain for a whole round might be a bit too much and giving temporary HP doesn't make sense. So, any sensible not-too-powerful effect that takes place regardless of whether saves are made or not that doesn't screw over the enemies who made the save too much could be added, I guess.

You need jesus.

And Jesus needs to get back to work on my hedges.

Jesus is being deported. We worship Goldman Sachs now.

Eeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

cringe

Actually doesnt' have to, shintoism believes everything is divine, from plants, to animals, and those clearly aren't fictional.

Macarena

>he's not a solipsist
ha ha, silly me, imagining such a stupid user

I don't want to get too close to the Tidal Wave spell, since I'm giving them that as a domain spell.
Maybe 30 foot radius save or prone, disadvantage on the save if within x feet of a source of water?
I was also thinking about some sort of water-purifying ability, but can't find a good way to go about it. Will likely dig into 3e or 4e books for possible inspiration tonight.

Aaaaay.

xth for standing still and attacking things for hours on end.

#martiallife

The central theme of water is change and transmutation. It carves new paths, wears stone down to sand, gives birth to plantlife, and shifts from sea to air to cloud to rain to river and back again. It is cylical and an equalizer.

>Channel Divinity: Come Up With A Name
>Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to cause a miniature river to spring forth.
>As an action, you present your holy symbol and water begins to seep out of a space that you can see within 60 feet, flowing in a direction you choose. You can cover a number of 5' tiles up to three times your Cleric level and need not expend all of them at once.
>The river follows the ground but can defy its slope. The river is treated as difficult terrain for enemies regardless of their direction of movement, and they have disadvantage on all checks made to avoid being grappled, shoved, or knocked prone; allies have advantage on checks made to avoid being grappled, shoved, or knocked prone, and their movement costs are halved in river tiles (they may move 10 feet for every 5 feet of their speed remaining). Prone enemies and dropped objects move one tile per round in the direction of the river's flow on the start of your turn.
>As a bonus action, you may shift the position of a number of river tiles equal to twice your level, but the river must remain contiguous.
>The river lasts for one minute or until you dismiss it as a free action.
Recharges on long rest, yada yada.

Hinder enemies from reaching the party, make a watery escape, bring items to yourself, put out fires or irrigate a field and other wacky non-combat stuff, encourage the party to run every enemy into the ground, sweep assholes off cliffs, etc.

>select all rivers captcha
gee

Related to OP, has anyone come up with an E6 equivalent yet?

For what purpose?

invigorating waters - change it to WIS + lvl
churning waves - remove the second prone

same reasons as the original variant i would imagine, keeping power levels low but still allowing for continued character growth.

Get on the level of Lathander.

What are you aiming to get from an E6 equivilent?

That said, I think if your main aim is to prevent too much high level craziness, stop at level 11. It's where Fighters get their third attack, casters get a single 6th level spell, and is generally a good point to sort of have things capstone before the craziness begins.

After that, you can probably just do the same thing as E6 and give more ASI out. There aren't that many though, so people will probably max out at 20 in everything with all feats eventually, but you could solve that by allowing them to purchase Boons from the DMG or raising a few of the stat caps up to 24 to compensate.

What are the best "Light-themed" classes, namely ones that churn out a shitton of radiant or fire damage or ones that prefer to illuminate than obscure. I figure Light cleric (duh), Ancient's paladin, Sun Soul monk, red dragonic blooded sorcerer and divination wizard?

Is combat in this edition stale and boring or is that people shitposting again?
If it is stale and boring, how do we improve combat so it's not?

There's also the Light Patron warlock from the Underdark UA. I'd say it, Light Cleric, and Sun Soul monk are the best for shooting lasers, Ancient's Paladin has the philosophy of liking it, and Red Dragon sorcerer can dish out fire well.

I'd say to add in some variant rules from the DMG like Flanking and Marking, as well as just reminding people that you don't have to stand still to full attack.

Maybe just give everyone Mobility for free.

You'd think by that guy defending it in the last thread that it's a class that doesn't need change at all and is completely viable in its role.

It's all subjective. I haven't had much of a problem with boring combats, personally.

make magical cancer be a thing

It is. The recipes for fixing it involve giving monsters more possible reactions to things so that opportunity attacks happen less often. Same for players.

Make a few more mobility type tools as well, rebalance class design so that every class has fun and interesting at will abilities.

Right now anything that is at will is also boring, and anything fun and interesting is on a cooldown.

Damn how could I forget the undying light patron? Way better than Red Dragon sorcerer, thanks!

divination wizard?

Nice, thanks dudes.

>There is a thing on the show that seems to line up with the parasitic ooze.
>Who released your ooze, user? That is probably the real question.
Good question. How's this for an idea?
Was thinking that as above there is a lighthouse to ensure the safety of ships, so below is there also a lighthouse but its purpose is to keep the creeping dark water/oil and monstrous leviathans with too many appendages at bay.

Maybe this below lighthouse ceased functioning for a while, and so the ooze managed to flow from below?
What might be a good creature to crib from or just design something?

I thought flanking and marking was an inbuilt function and requirement of the system?
Guess 4e spoiled me too much. And flanking having existed from previous editions.

Good idea on mobility.

Isn't opportunity attacks already happening way less than it does in previous editions?

And don't classes already get reactions to attacks? A free mobility feat might not be such a bad idea though.

What fun and interesting at will ability might you propose?

If your players didn't want to do cool stunts before, they won't now, either. If they did want to before, but wouldn't because of the suboptimal mechanics of doing things other than attacking, it's easier for DMs to feel comfortable being generous this time around, because the scope of mechanics are tighter, and bounded accuracy gives you a better idea of what should be happening numerically at what level range.

>so that opportunity attacks happen less often

They're already limited to once per round for each creature, how would you reduce that even further?

In the playtest, there were martial dice. You could spend these during your turn or during another person's turn. You got back any spent at the beginning of your turn.

Imagine a warlord class that can use its reaction to add martial dice to an allies attack to boost it in a flavorful way. This means he can't opportunity attack, but it might be worth it.

Imagine legendary actions on monsters were just fluffed as reactions instead, so tactically baiting one out would free up People to move around it.

How about a sorcerer who can use meta magic on enemy and allied spells as a reaction?

There's lots of ways to spice things up. My rule is that every class should have one "simple" option as a containment class for indecisive it simple people. The rest should continually challenge players with complicated decision making.

By offering competing reactions.

The problem is that even at once per round for each creature, they still almost completely shutdown players from moving in combat.

Two players are engaged in a melee with a dragon. The first thinks "golly, I want to do something interesting, but if I move, the drain will hit me, and attacking 4 times is penalty going to do more damage than whatever I would do anyways, so I'll stand still and attack."

The second player, seeing that the dragon still has an opportunity attack starts his turn thinking "golly, I want to do something interesting, but ...."

Merry Christmas Thread

I made this for u: vocaroo.com/i/s1XW2PZgPpY2

4 me?

I appreciate you, user.

In terms of what I want to do, crunch-wise, I need some help with:

* Making PC stats for an expy of the Shin'hare.
* Reworking PC stats for Calibans (deformed, magically-created mutants originally from Ravenloft).
* Balancing out homebrew stats for a more personally satisfying Warforged and Kobold.
* Building some new Patrons for Warlocks, including Dark Mother (creepy, scary nature deity; Lamashtu, Shub-Niggurath, Zuggtmoy, etc). and Lifebringer (healer patron).
* Building some new "elementalistic" Sorcerer Origins.
* Possibly working on a Kensai (sword-saint) style for Monks.

Any of these particularly interesting to anons here?

Magical cancer? Done deal. Turning into Chaos Spawn expies? Done. Drink the wrong pool of toxic water and your flesh will slough off your liquefying bones as you dissolve into a lifeless puddle of glop, all whilst desperately attempting to delay the inevitable by eating human flesh? Sure, what else you want?

thanks...

is this you?

youtube.com/watch?v=n9KxuAWZwiA

What mods do you have for Morrowind?

i play modless on my original xbox lol

>morrowind
>console

i kno

Okay, that's fun too. I wish I wasn't addicted to video games and could be trusted to play just once.

You can get mods working in the Xbox but it's even more hit or miss than normal modding.

>youtube.com/watch?v=n9KxuAWZwiA
Dude this shit is amazing.

>Dude this shit is amazing.
really? i could do that all day. ive done a million like that in threads in the last few years

Oh! I just remembered/realized that I also need to work on Backgrounds for this setting, both in terms of "what canon ones are viable here" and "homebrew new ones to fit the setting" as part of my crunch-work.

vocaroo.com/i/s0wxnN4mC2Z1

this is old

And I hate myself for missing them now, user.

Is...is this not what everyone does to every door in the dungeon?

the last part of your campaign is also what my campaign world is dealing with

>magical apocalypse happened
>shit went crazy, every race went near extinct, some did go extinct
>survivors use magic to dome their last remaining cities and also put themselves into a timed stasis
>wake up some few thousand years later, outside world is wild, bigger, and untamed as fuck, elves tried to be tricksy and wake up early but get fucked over mentally for it cause magic 'cancer' in the air still.

i love the idea of how post-apoc works in fantasy settings, so it's taking some dark sun rules and such

>megaspells
Don't think I don't know your ways.

Are you a big guy?
Are you retarded? You sound retarded.

i won't be trolled

You do sound like a retard though.

Illa fuck you in the ass Scooter Mcbeet, whet's yer ayydress, get me sum fukin' wengs.

vocaroo.com/i/s1yZaDkVgz2c

If I make Adv/Disadv stack, how many times should be the limit?

dont

2 or more in either direction should cancel it all out

Otherwise, 2-1 should still impose advantage/disadvantage imo

And now you sound you have literal autism.
Are you okay?

I'm removing a lot of flat bonus and turning them in Adv/Disadv, I have to make them stack

What bonuses are you removing?

>I'm removing a lot of flat bonus
please stop

Rather than that, turn it into Shadow of the Demon Lord's boons/banes. Makes adding good/bad modifiers less "and suddenly everything else is negated!", works out ok.
You add positive (for boons) or negative (for banes) d6s to your d20 roll and take the highest result. They cancel each out 1:1.
So a roll with 2 banes means you roll 1d20-2d6, taking the highest 2d6 (and throwing in normal mods like Str/Dex) If you threw in a boon, it'd be 1d20-1d6 as the boon cancels out a bane. There's no limit one way or the other, but beyond a few is pretty rare.

The math is fairly similari (a few % off or so) if it's just 1 boon/bane, but it starts changing more if you've more (eg 2 or 3 boons)

Wait, you're doing what now? What are you removing?

vocaroo.com/i/s1tQKDq3BGg0

Something similar to this

There is nothing wrong with expertise and proficiency bonuses.
Please play the game before trying to revolutionize it.

>Please play the game before trying to revolutionize it.
I played it a lot, just came here for the opinion of others for should I handle this change

>There is nothing wrong with expertise and proficiency bonuses.
I disagree, but it's not what I want to discuss here, so I'll not extend myself

Don't

Flat bonuses in the game are desirable in many regards, because there are things you characters can get *so good at* relative to the competition that they should far more consistently be able to accomplish them.

There is a reason in many sports it's the same few people who remain the proverbial "best" do in fact remain there.
It's the same with D&D - throwing everything to RNG is simply *annoying*.

BUT YOU DO YOU SENPAI!

>Rather than that, turn it into Shadow of the Demon Lord's boons/banes
I liked this, but I think I would put this on top of the normal Adv/Disadv system, similar to the weak stacking in the pdf

Expertise giving adv already makes the rogue be consistently good

In nothing as reliable as flat~
But you do you!