Virtual Wargames

Hey, how would you like to play your favorite wargame with other members of Veeky Forums, Absolutely free, and with very little in the way of hassle? No? Well, how would you like a huge repository of 3d printable models to use as you please?

battlebox3d.com/
This is BattleBox3d, a free 3D Tabletop Simulator that's about as good as you can get for the price. It supports Direct Client-to-Client games, LAN Games, and Custom Model Support, as well as all of the necessary features to play tabletop Wargames.

What this means is that if we can compile enough 3D Models, playing 40k online will not only be plausible, but also cheap, and ma

But Wait, it gets better:
meshmixer.com/
Meshmixer is another free program, one that was designed with miniatures in mind. The goal is to make it easy to combine model meshes together, then simplify and fill them to be as concise as possible, with the goal of 3D printing them. In other words, it lets you customize your models with virtual kits, then export a finished product. From there you can print them out and use them IRL, or you could open them up in a model painting program like Blender or Sculptris, and paint them for use in BattleBox3d.

So, Here's what I propose: We create a massive archive of 3D models, including various weapons and accessories to act as kits, as well as digital maps, and start our own virtual wargame community. Most of the work is already done for us: yeggi.com/q/warhammer 40k/?s=t0

Even if you're not interested in virtual gaming, there's still the fact that this will be a huge resource for real wargaming, letting you customize your armies with your own 3D printable models.

So, what do you say?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Machina_Dei
123dapp.com/Search/Roman%20soldier/content/all?sort_by=&page_size=16&app=&channel=
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Here's what I propose: We create
inb4 nothing happens.

Why so cynical? Honestly this is the easiest thing relative to the payoff. We trawl various sources for 3d models of 40k, convert them to a suitable model, for both printing and the program, then stick them all in an Archive. from there it's a matter of the community using them.

>40k model Archive
>Virtual Tabletop that doesn't look like shit.

So, is this how it happens? Do we finally fuck over GeeDubs by making the game cheaper than they could ever hope to make it?

It'll be like a Chapter Master 2, but tabletop

Don't say that. You know what happened to Chapter Master.

...it got a lenghty developement and a cease and desist so in the end it's Generic Fleet simulator that you can mod into Legion Master 30k?

>We create a massive archive of 3D models
Post some of your work.

>40K without the tabletop
Why the flying fuck would I want that? 40K is an objectively terrible game. The only reason its worth playing is because of the figures.

He means "40k without having to pay for or build miniatures". I call it "Dawn of War", it's close enough.

Also, isn't there already a tabletop simulator game on steam where people use Dawn of War models as minis and play 40k?

Sorry, but this is dumb. Tabletop Simulator is out there for the virtual crowd and only costs a few shekels. Plus, you never factored in the modeling and socializing aspect of the hobby. Not everyone plays this hobby to roll dice ya know.

The custom models would work in conjunction with Tabletop Simulator(Which is objectively terrible for actual tabletop)

>you never factored in the modeling and socializing aspect of the hobby.
See: 3D Printing Repository.

>3D Printing

Is absolute shit unless you have a industrial tier printer at which point you have enough dosh to get several FW armies for you and your friends.

Look, I get that 40k may be expensive for the poor folk but the poor dont go around getting hobbies that require hundreds of dollars and as far as hobbies go 40k isnt even expensive. My point is: Whats the point of 40k without the hobby? There is none, play DoW if you want vidya and learn how to manage your money and buy a box a month if you want to get into 40k.

Well, It's not limited to 40k. The main idea behind this isn't to replace the hobby, it's to make it more accessible to everyone on Veeky Forums who can't play games, but would like to, whether because they're a poorfag, lack of local players, or because their schedules don't allow it. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to pop on here, ask for a game, and spend the next couple of hours playing a game, any game, at any given point in time?

Or, just start at the models that havent been made for tts

>Honestly this is the easiest thing relative to the payoff.

No it isn't you stupid nigger. It's not free either, you need internet, a computer, and a 3D printer. It's both easier AND cheaper to just buy miniatures. You're not smart. You're not savvy. You're not brilliantly entrepeneural. You're just a fucking idiot and a poorfag.

there are minis scatered here and there, we just need to compile them in a single place.

40k is what is popular, HOPEFULLY we will be able to play better games when more people gets interested

>Paying
>When there is a perfectly acceptable free alternative
>TTS, a game that has trouble with anything beyond parcheesi

This'll be fun if you play small games, specially historical wargames.

OK, Back up here. You thinking the idea is bad, that's one thing, but what exactly did he do to antagonize you so much?

>3d printable models

hahahahahahahaha

>40k is what is popular

Its popular because of two things, one is the setting and how open it is for you to write your stories while having the charm of hyperviolence and absolute ridiculousness and the other thing are the minis. NO ONE plays for the rules or the game, sure its fun for a couple of hours or just to fuck around but NO ONE is defending 40k's crap rules and they've been crap since forever, they are fun but very flawed and I have yet to meet someone who doesnt have a gripe with the system and its been the case since Rogue Trader.

Look, if you're idea is so easy to do then do it, you need us, you need your own effort so go on ahead and do it.

>poorfag

I'm bumping OP's blatant advert thread just to spite you.

This would be a useful platform for pushing a system that's both cleaner and with minis more suited to 3d printing than 40k.

Veeky Forums is not the place to pitch this. You'd be better suited seeding this elsewhere, then bringing an established community that's already succeeding to Veeky Forums to get bandwagon. I'd suggest something with a little more memory, or where you can more aggressively position your pitch. GL.

>implying I give a shit about a thread being bumped

This is the kind of stupidity I'm talking about. Enjoy life not knowing you're a fucking retard.

Why hasn't the 40k en masse made a community set of rules? The Smash bros community did it with Project M when the hardcore player base was dissatisfied with brawl, and the Magic Community made a new format that became so popular the company itself embraced it. I am baffled why community codexes aren't a thing.

TTS just has a learning curve. At this point I can play basically anything with it.

Because despite all the bitching about it most 40k fans still have fun playing it, fun enough to actually keep playing it.

I do admit 40k has shitty rules.
If you like the minis so much what is the problem with doing it virtually?

Still, I am not paying for that crap

They are? There are several community made full replacements for the rule set, and hundreds of fandexes. The main issue is competitive play is limited to stores that want to sell books and models, and getting people to agree with homebrew is hard.

What tends to actually happen is community comps, which add limitations to what you can take.

I always wanted to see this sort of thing get done around VASSAL 40k, but VASSAL is a temperamental 2d bitch. I will look into this client.

>If you like the minis so much what is the problem with doing it virtually?

I dont have a problem, you do it champ! I just think it defeats the purpose of 40k, its a hobby, you paint your minis and have fun with some dude and some beers, an excuse to socialize and crack jokes while beating each other with cool looking minis.

Virtual 40k is just an excuse to say "I play 40k" without any of the hobby, there's DoW if you want a 40k game thats cheap.

>and a cease and desist
It didn't get that. Duke just ceased and desisted because the hassle of splitting, which he did for fear of C&D, tuckered him out. He's now working on a towergirls vidya which, as of the fairly old build I played, is shit.

Why is 40k the relevant thing here? The real beauty is being able to play games that you otherwise can't, like Machina Dei.

Maybe with bb3d you could organize some homebrewd 40k games. GW's fun police can't find you online.

Have you ever tought that not everybody likes minis, has the money for minis, the time to paint them or lives near a place to play? Plus this isn't just for 40k, we can play games that have actually good rules.

>play games that you otherwise can't, like Machina Dei.
tell me more

Well, there is the fact that you can paint the 3d models and customize them to a much mor liberal degree. I'm sure there's plenty of people who would like to get their digital model accurate to an autistic degree.

This.

Machina Dei is an alt-history about a bunch of gods and mythical beings from most of Europe and Asia getting into a great big war. It was made on Veeky Forums quite a few years ago, but didn't have a big enough community in any one place to actually play games. It was very popular for the lore, for a while, and was in non-stop 24/7 development for a week, it was a fucking crazy time. This would have been about seven years ago now I think.

Do any functional rules survive?

1d4chan.org/wiki/Machina_Dei

Models would not be hard to find either:
123dapp.com/Search/Roman%20soldier/content/all?sort_by=&page_size=16&app=&channel=

Alright, so apparently creating free 40k is a bad idea. Making some of the more decent homebrew Wargames/skirmish games playable on the other hand...

So, where do we start?

I'm up for any wargame as long someone else has the patience to teachme.
Personally Infinity seems to have the largest players base and the better rules.

I thought the goal was to make a game that has no official minis playable?

Agreed. Let's not piss off anyone else. I vote for Machina Dei. Anyone Else?

Oh well, back to fvgt

OP had the right idea for the wrong game. I can see where he came from though. Apparently these guys of the /fvgt/ want to give Veeky Forums more gaming resources, like a dedicated Xmage server, or access to Virtual Wargames as we see here. That's respectable enough. Where they went wrong is trying to appeal to the most popular wargame... where the gameplay is probably the least likable thing about it.

GW is going to shut this down hard. Enjoy the C&D

>TTS
>learning curve
How many kinds of potato must a person must be to have enough trouble using TTS to consider it to have a learning curve?

>nothing saves directly to the object chest, maps are all individual tables and minis have to be manually imported one by one from their respective tables
>character sheets are non-interactive. You can't write on them at all, they're just pretty objects to look at and decorate the table with
>99% of the maps were made by idiots who just wanted them to look pretty and had zero concern for them actually getting used in a fucking game. None of them have any sense of scale and have random NPC figures strewn about with no regard to grid placement or character scale.
>but it's got a flip table button!

>nothing saves directly to the object chest
maybe you just forgot to save said object?...
some maps when you're joining a server, objects may not appear, this may occur either because your/host's/server's connection. I have played maps that I've played before and have certain items not come up; odd but not difficult to deal with.

I've had small Formations of Khorne Daemonkin saved in the chest that come out just fine

Saved games will save objects and images separate from servers. My friends and I have played "The Captain is Dead" and was able to still play after it was taken off, however newer players were not able to view the objects.

>maps are all individual tables
I would hope so, I would find it trouble some if they were all one abomination of a table. I like my one map per table thankyouverymuch

>None of them have any sense of scale and have random NPC figures strewn about with no regard to grid placement or character scale.
Resize them. Unless it's the size of a Warhound Titan (or bigger) or some fucker couldn't bother to get the scale right, models can be resized, or just find another uploader.
If you're skilled, make them yourself.

>99% of the maps were made by idiots who just wanted them to look pretty and had zero concern for them actually getting used in a fucking game.
I know I have a 10ft pole to wack you with somewhere...

3/10 "would get baited again"

What the FUCK do you think Heroes of Ruin is, dumbass?