Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Let's settle this. Do you think a no-SR force damage spell makes sense fluffwise?

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU

Broken Shackles Playtest: app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/59701/broken-shackles-test-play
Creation Handbook Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1kitAB8sHgmuD3fvOMuI_KyV_dxpO2wrxQmbnCoRgglA/edit#
Avowed Playtest: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing

Old Thread:

Oh for fucks sake putting this at the top is nearly as bad as the kitsuneposting.

Yeah. Force as an only supernatural type damage flat doesn't make sense.

but force is literally pure magic.

Its not actual concussive force as we think of it, thats covered by the various damage types of Bludgeoning, Slashing, and Piercing.

I can see it bypassing DR but not SR

Sure, it's already been done.

No because force is magic. Lifting a rock and throwing it is not magic. I fail to see how people are having such a hard time with this.

Force passes DR anyways, as its a kind of energy damage.

Not really, no.

Force is just blank 'magic damage'. It has no presence outside of magic.

It somehow skipping past SR by default seems janky.

Soulfire I can see making it work, because that shit's dangerous and involves soulpower, which is on a different level to just plain ol' magic.

Whatever happened to "Accept the ruling and move on"?

Fuck me if I'm ever bringing my games here.

Why would it ever be subject to DR in the first place? It's not physical damage

Vortex guns.

>one time in one 3.5 splatbook

>its not like 3.pf is horridly inconsistent.

>its not like the most famous force damage spell (Magic Missile) is subject to SR

Shitty technology rules that have no bearing on magic and are irrelevant to the campaign in question

I'd kinda like a second opinion on the prospect of going for the usual Sacred Fist/Master of Many Styles idea, but then opting out of Monk to be a Paladin and using a to flurry (preferably longsword to gain Divine Fighting Technique).

Is this worth it, or should I focus on the paladin side of things and maybe pick up an Eldritch Heritage?

It's not a ruling. It'd be a ruling if it was mechanics.

Instead, it's "I don't like the fluff."

Its not.

2hu happened.

A vial of acid bypasses SR. Acid arrow bypasses SR.

A thrown rock bypasses SR. Telekinetic projectile bypasses SR.

A torch bypasses SR. Burning sphere bypasses SR.

There is no mundane equivalent of Force. It exists ONLY in the realm of spells.

Sure, there's other sr-passing magic so I don't see why not.

"A vortex gun looks like a sleek shotgun with three barrels arranged in a triangular formation. When this weapon is fired, the three barrels release a beam of gravitons that spiral around each other to create a 100-foot-long cone-shaped vortex of devastating energy. This energy tears, crushes, and twists everything in its path. "

>DEVASTATING ENERGY

Magic nigga.

Its only one person.

DM just ban 2hu so we can move on.

Bad DMs happened.

That's still a GM ruling. There are plenty of alternatives, plenty of ways around it. The GM's job is hard enough, you finnicky bastards, get off it already.

Yes but it's not magical. It wouldn't proc Spell resistance.

For an optional rule that the GM was upfront about being subject to GM approval.

Well yes but i can't account for Paizo's shit writing

Presumably a weapon that has to get past SR wouldn't fucking be worth writing mechanically anyways.

Paizo is a shit and inconsistent, the DM made their ruling. No force SR ignoring blasts. For whatever reason it was made, it was made.

It should be accepted.

Didja fucking read that shit?

>gravitons
>This energy tears, crushes, and twists everything in its path

Tell me about cool intelligent items in your games.

So! Who all's excited for the weekend? Any big plans, game-related or otherwise?

My Magus's Black Blade

:^)

Trying to dig up old conversations to stir shit is pretty pathetic, user.

>literally the OP of this thread

WDYTYA?

>the DM made their ruling. No force SR ignoring blasts.
No, the GM said it'd be fine if there was a fluff reason behind it.

What's wrong with coming up with a fluff reason?

The GM also said there's no fluffy way immaterial energy like force could be thrown at something

and people have been arguing back with crunch.

Then maybe, JUST MAYBE, the GM shouldn't have said 'Well if you can fluff it, then the blast is fine!'

And there you go something similar to what the Vortex Gun does. You don't assault the foe with magic, you twist and crush the air around them.

the GM didn't say that.

My dragon disciple's robe of arcane heritage. Not because of what it does, but because of how we got it--there was no sorcerer around to craft it, so GM ruled I could use a red dragon's heartstrings to have it weaved.

Which should be bludgeoning damage, but Paizo fucked up.

You're really obvious 2hu fag.

actually all spells do. It turns out even "you conjure a rock and throw it at the guy with your arm" bypasses DR.

That's not him, don't be a retard.

>GM says it's stupid that throwing a ball of literal magic shouldn't be subject to SOME KIND OF RESISTANCE
>people scream that this is unfair

???????????

>2) I'm going to say no. I would prefer to keep blasts that are not Bludgeoning, Piercing, Slashing, or Acid to be SR yes (unless the fluff is "Conjuring ball of X and then shooting/splashing it at them", which these do not seem to be.)
Yes he did.

Me finishing up a major story arc is falling through because one player doesn't have time for the next two weeks and after that I don't have time for two weeks.

The replacement gestalt side-campaign I suggested for the next two weeks isn't happening either because of another guy being busy and not really having time to get into it and I don't really want to run a 2man campaign, even moreso with the two most follower-type players of the group.

Feels bad to be foreverDM but feels even worse when no games despite being the DM.

Memes aside, the Black Blade I gave to the Cavalier I DM for.

He doesn't know it's a Black Blade yet, in or out of character. To him it's just a shiny new Obsidian Longsword.

To his 7 Int character, the new voice in his head couldn't possibly come from his sword. Swords don't talk.

One thing worth noting, just because a spell uses Force doesn't mean it has to deal force DAMAGE. If you somehow hit someone with a wall of force, it'd do bludgeoning damage, not Force.

I seem to recall something about how physical damage from spells runs into DR.

My opinion about spell damage stuff regarding game balance is such:

Spellcastors rarely do as much damage as Warriors can do in a single round, they can just do it often to more than one guy at a time and do it at a distance.

Full Damage Spells
> Xd6s based on level
> allows a Save
> allows SR

Mid Damage Spells
> d6s or d8s per 2 levels
> has something nasty that goes with it
> allows a Save Negate
> allows SR

Poor Damage Spells
> the damage cap is usually already reached by the time you get it, level 5 or 10 or whatever (5d6, 10d6 as Level 6+ spell)
> No Save, or a Save only for secondary effect
> SR or No SR if its got a save.

Shit Damage Spells
> shit damage like a magic missile except its Level 3+
> no save
> no SR
> you take it to the face or maybe it has a ranged touch attack

Because lets face it unavoidable damage is not nice but putting out 1/5 of the amount of damage that other party members can dish out is a smack in the face to that castor.

honestly that point is really unclear from Paizo.

"Whenever damage reduction completely negates the damage from an attack, it also negates most special effects that accompany the attack, such as injury poison, a monk's stunning, and injury-based disease. Damage Reduction does not negate touch attacks, energy damage dealt along with an attack, or energy drains. Nor does it affect poisons or diseases delivered by inhalation, ingestion, or contact.

Attacks that deal no damage because of the target's damage reduction do not disrupt spells.

Spells, spell-like abilities, and energy attacks (even non-magical fire) ignore damage reduction."

Like ??

What is snowball?

1st-level single-target ranged touch. Does reasonable cold damage, and staggers on a failed save.

Yeah, paizo can't write rules for shit.

Or the number of things that say 'weapons'?

Wanna look at what defines an 'attack'?

Hell, that was one that 2hu fucked around with too if I recall.

>GM just allowed 2hu to take no SR force damage blast

2hu witch hunters BTFO

Run, Fennec user. At least until the latest shitstorm subsides.

That said, I am supposed to play tomorrow night and finally finish my character's prologue for the Fluffy Tails game. I have also had a kinda nice game of Golden Sky Stories yesterday. Maybe I'll even finish the sheet for my blinkling maid guy over the weekend!

Life's pretty good, overall.

Also it bypasses SR.

Fuck that, then. I'm not going in if I get accepted. Deal without your futa.

I mean that's great and all, doesn't mean 2hu will get into the game.

"energy attacks, even non-magical fire, ignore damage reduction"

Force damage is a form of energy damage, always has been.

it ignores damage reduction

to gain any reduction against Force damage you must have "Force Resistance X" just like "Fire Resistance X" or cold or electric and so on.

Wasnt aware of that spell, but it sounds like some people making broken shit like the way MTG has evolved ever since Kamigawa

I was never arguing that force damage didn't ignore DR

I was saying that the DR shit was written poorly by Paizo

It doesn't mean 2hu will get accepted in, chillax.

So who the fuck made like the one male character quit HV because the warlock isn't DSP?

the DM doesn't know anything about the avowed system and didn't OK it beforehand, doesn't want to learn it

Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, see, the problem there is that AoE damage just isn't helpful unless we're talking major amounts of it. Monsters that can be cleared out in a single Fireball are highly unlikely to be a threat to the party at any point in the game where you *have* a fireball, and monsters that can't are still going to be functioning at 3/4, 1/2, or even 1/4 HP just as they would at full HP. It's not useful compared to focusing down a target or applying status effects that take an enemy out of the fight on the spot.

And I mean, it's not as if blasters aren't broke as shit in Pathfinder, but they're that way because someone printed a feat to turn blasting spells into save or loses targeting the on-average lowest monster save AND printed a feat that gives you that feat for free and applies it for free. What the fuck, Paizo?

Speaking as Sersheon's player here, fuck are you on about, the futa's still in.

>going on the internet and telling lies.

>person who submitted the futa tiefling is in an IRC with me right now
>is saying they don't give a fuck and haven't posted on Veeky Forums for like hours

I wonder who could be behind this post...

There's still a futa user

>a feat to turn blasting spells into save or loses targeting the on-average lowest monster save AND printed a feat that gives you that feat for free and applies it for free. What the fuck, Paizo?
I assume you're talking about Dazing spell, but what are the other feats you're talking about?

Someone is probably trying to make people hate 2hu more. Yes, there are cunts like that.

Jesus christ 2hu please stop.

Why though? Is it that one dude that had a crush on him or something?

who knows

Lets drop it

the DM has ruled and its over.

I'm not playing in HV if 2hu gets to have a no-SR force blast.

That's total bullshit.

you're not playing in HV anyways.

There's only one futa tiefling app and the person is literally on IRC right now

And 2hu may not even get in

So?????????

I'm not the futa.

Mark my words, 2hu will fucking ruin this game.

ok.

Game night's tomorrow, time for me to get knocked out in the coming battle and likely die painfully.

I mean, this'll be like the sixth time I've been put into the negatives.

:D

Sacred Geometry, I believe.

And yeah it is for free because after a certain point, you mathematically can't fail.

DELETE THIS.

What motherfucker doesn't ban sacred geometry.

Now that's something new.

witch-hunt user you're not even playing.

Oooohhh...
well son thats what you get for taking a shit Con score

Even the Wizards I play get 14+ Con because I know thats 2xHD worth of hit points I get

So that way -14 hit points is actually 6 hit points, which means I get my spell or I can run instead of being dead

If I have to bomb any stats its securely the one that I do not use. Everybody uses Con.

It makes sense, really. Adventurers are hardy folk.

That, or they don't last long.

The GM is a fucking imbecile for even entertaining 2hu.

witch-hunt user nobody cares

go witch-hunt DHB or something.

Real spoiler image for once. Nice. Probably most unexpected part of the whole series.

You shouldn't have to ban shit.

That means the game designers aren't doing their job and they're just trolling except in book form.

Thats what I like about some multi-setting systems like BESM and gurps, they usually get the balance down pat because if there's anything broken in it, its gonna become a major thing.

That or they cost the party a heap ton of resources and they lose levels because they keep having to get raised from the dead.

i dunno maybe you can roleplay it as an efficient way to become a Ghost and "to help these people along" but then whenever other people leave the game or they die off the DM has a reason to securely kill you off too

Also aint gonna work with a cleric in the group (and which group dont have one) because

> you're a ghost
> you should be in heaven
> my heaven to be exact

Dazing Spell is still reaaaaaaaal fuckin' broken if you don't use Sacred Geometry, between Fireball still being able to tag things that are a challenge at level 20 more often than not(no really look up the average saves on CR20-22 stuff), the dozens of spells that hit an opponent multiple times per cast(not magic missile, stuff like ball lightning), or the absolute horseshit that is Meteor Swarming someone's face 4 times with a metamagic rod because you KNOW they're not saving 4 separate times at -4 against that.

Does your character's lover have another girl waiting for you to be out of the picture, to make her move after a respectful grieving period just like her mother did for her father?

GM for HV if you're here what do you think about futa characters?

there's literally one that applied already

I've got 14 CON, that's not the issue.

Rather, I have a tendency to roll incredibly poorly, which extends to the entire party. 32 point buy can't save you from bad rolls.

Also my GM is probably in this thread.

GM for HV if you're here what do you think about trap characters?

Isn't the average good save for a monser at 20 like 21 or something?

What do end game player DC's look like? I thought a lot of stuff was just "autopass" at that point.

Oh, no.

See, Pyrrha at least lasted long enough to fall in love.

Is that anal?

No.

If it makes you feel better, I have a similar problem.

People just keep making their saves against pretty much everything I do. It's depressing.

Like, yeah! Gonna curse you!

... oh.

Gonna make your skin fall off!

... oh.

Gonna... do that fucking save-or-die I took like a fucking moron.

... Oh it worked. Yaaaaaaaaaay...

Saves can be between 30 and 50 I think.