Neverwinter Nights General /nwng/

Neverwinter Nights General /nwng/
General thread for Veeky Forums's NWN server (WIP).

>Current Subject:
Should we build the server with a region with a published setting or homebrew our own setting?

There's advantages to both; the published setting route can give PCs a great deal of familiarity.

Alternately option 3, we could make up a demiplane attached to a published setting, such that characters could be from that published setting rather than needing to know our demiplane, which allows us to make our own region but have factions/races/cultures/history from something published.

What are your thoughts?

>NWN is a D&D Vidya which supports both online and offline gameplay, as well as persistent servers, and a DMs client for running adventures. (IE it's a lot like roll20 with prettier graphics and much of the game mechanics automated.)

>You can get NWN at GoG. Currently it's free (for the next few hours, grab it while you can).
gog.com/game/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition

>Here's the official discord for the server. This invite never expires.
discord.gg/DWAgNEp

>Currently, links and such are on the discord (organized) and in the general NWN thread here
(disorganized)

Other urls found in this thread:

nwn.wikia.com/wiki/D20_Modern_Mod
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/world-rhun
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/persistent-world-rhun-available-download
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/gameworld/rhun-rise-underdark
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/evermeet-cep-v21-server-module
yourserverlist.com/index.php?juego=nwn1
strawpoll.me/11787547
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30385043/nwn/SPL_v241.rar
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30385043/nwn/SPL_NWNX.zip
strawpoll.de/dw3c45b
discord.gg/DWAgNEp
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MDQyL0Dcg7MYkpL4d57hPzlsZE9MCWZXWvKAA2qXtYE/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reporting in

Give opinions on the current subject, rather than just bumping?

What do you think we should do for the setting?

Worst of both worlds: Let's pick the most obscure setting possible so we're creatively restricted AND also know nothing.

lmao.

Any better non-joke suggestions?

Find an already made server and host it edit as needed.
Or do something with d20 modern since nothing good has ever been done with it really.
nwn.wikia.com/wiki/D20_Modern_Mod

>d20 modern since nothing good has ever been done with it really
Including the actual tabletop game.

>existing open source server package
that would certainly be a shortcut. I'll dig around a bit and see what's available.

>d20 modern
never again.

>never again.
Which project did you work on?

I didnt work on a d20 modern NwN project. I played/ran the tabletop.

The system is a mess, in comparison to 3.0.

>Publically Available PW
Most of them are not public; but:

>World of Rhun
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/world-rhun
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/persistent-world-rhun-available-download
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/gameworld/rhun-rise-underdark

>Evermeet
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/evermeet-cep-v21-server-module

AAnd then the NWVault site seems to have gone down.

Another approach we could take is (instead of making our own server) going the lazy route and joining an existing playerworld. Evidently several of them still exist.

yourserverlist.com/index.php?juego=nwn1

Heavy metal would be the absolute shit! Mixing the best of the d20 modern with classic fantasy elements! The only thing missing would be some Iron Maiden, blue oyster cult, Van Halen and whatnot

I would be severely down for this, seeing as I've never done much NWN before.

Prisoners of the Most is really good. Amia is ok. Avoid Ravenloft like the plague

NWN rp servers were my shit for a decade. My schedule doesn't support it anymore sadly

I used to play on a Dalelands/Myth Drannor server around Elventree a lot; don't remember the name of the server, but it went down before 2007.

I've played and DM'ed in a NWN2 server for more than 1000 hours. what do?

>wat do
What do you mean? gonna need more.

we do not yet have a persistent world, and have not even decided what to build yet.

we're a bit ahead of actually running games with it.

any experience with the aurora toolset or nwscript?

>Should we build the server with a region with a published setting or homebrew our own setting?
I prefer homebrew settings, since they offer more creative freedom. Unless you're willing to bend or branch off from canon, then either is fine.

>mfw I'll be laggy as fuck, but still excited.

I'll probably roll up a buff-centric caster and make someone's life a bit easier.

>Creative Freedom.

I figure the setting's timeline only matters up to the point the campaign starts.

If I run a Forgotten Realms game and I set it in the middle of 2e in say: 1365, anything after that point is irrelevant, unless it's something I deliberately choose to incorporate.

not so much just the nwn2's own dm stuff.

I was big into this as a kid, so seeing something starting up here is pretty hype.

I'm actually interested in the idea of starting a new server, though. The entrenched players on existing PWs would hate us by default for being a group of new people, and they'd start with the asanine bully tactics almost immediately.

Okay. looking at nwn1 in this thread. there's a great deal of similarity on the dm side, and I think the gameplay is superior.

The creator is a bit simpler to use, and hakpaks are not distributed automatically the first time you connect to a server (theres some kind of a plugin for this, But I've never tried it)

NWN2 was messier, but NWN1 has aged extremely poorly.

>nwn1 is uglier, yes.
But nwn2 really does have worse chunkier gameplay.

Also, the fact that nwn1 was suddenly free is a big help.

True, but that also raises the question of how many people will grab it because of Veeky Forums and play regularly.
PW servers require a standing population to be good.

Okay here's how you do it.

Allow people to ghestalt. One class is Warblade (Tome of Battle) or Spellcaster (Unearthed Arcana), the other is Psion (psychokinetic preferably). Allow Spellcaster or Psion to learn [healing] descriptor spells.

Only allow d20 modern/future equipment. Vehicles should be quite rare, but the ones you find are awesome. Naturally occurring monsters should be vermin or animals, while various areas should be guarded by robots, and areas of EVIIIIL should have evil outsiders.

What does this give you? It gives you a contemporary science-fiction/fantasy setting that involves space travel, an absolute evil, cloning and artificial humans, and giant yellow chickens. Also known as Phantasy Star

There is no h in "gestalt"

So, what: do you think we'd be better off using nwn2 despite it's lesser gameplay?

and larger barrier to entry?

It... depends.
I mean, if we want to try and pull in non-Veeky Forums people to this PW, we will want nwn2 because it has a small but still-living community.
If we have enough Veeky Forums people to sustain a server proper on it's own, an NWN1 server will probably suffice.

for nwn2 it doesnt matter if its a legit copy either at this point.

There is now, I'm adding BOEF classes

anyone played on dalelands beyond nwn2? I spent some looong time there

Never played NWN before - how does multiplayer work exactly? I read previous thread but am still kinda confused as to how it works

Do you think we actually need a server that's well populated?

I figured a server that is simply designed to well-accommodate Veeky Forums gms running campaigns.

Veeky Forums is constantly complaining about a lack of meats pace games.

this would give a viable alternative, no?

What do you mean?

you go to multiplayer, and you type in the address and connect to a multiplayer server that is running.

the multiplayer server is a separate exe which comes with the game. you can run one yourself if you have a module to do so with.

there used to be a public listing of active servers in-game through game spy. game spy is defunct.

there is an alternate directory that can be connected to if you mod the game, and there are web based server directories, and you can connect to any server if you know the address.

Mmm... I'm bias on that one.
Persistent world servers were my jam back in the day, so I'm dying to have another to run around in.

frankly, I don't think we're going to find the active player base to start one of those. regardless of which game is chosen.

>worse chunkier gameplay
That's an opinion sir
I spent thousands of hours in both games online, there is nothing (including gameplay) that I would say is better in the first one save from easy content creation, ten times bigger mod base, and less bugs.
nwn2, contrary to common opinion, is even way more flexible in terms of mechanics, scripts and gui. While there is a lot of stuff that still is hardcoded, sadly, you can twist nwn2 in a ways that are just not possible for nwn1. Ever wondered why almost all nwn2 PWs have incorporated lot of custom races, classes, feats, skills, and so on, while nwn1 is mostly devoid of serious changes? You know now. It is just much easier to do in nwn2. Downside is that nwn2 REQUIRES you to do the heavy scripting while in nwn1 big part of it can be avoided.

Still, because of more complicated area building, coupled by poorly designed toolset (in terms of ease of use), AND higher expectations, nwn2 creation is much, much harder and effort-draining. Building a NWN2 PW from scratch is at least a year work for a group of people including at least one talented scripter, few map builders and few assistants for simpler tasks. While you can easily build quality nwn1 game world in quarter of that time if you have know how.

There are NO good nwn2 english language servers currently desu
maybe BG is passable. The other biggest server is ERP server which says a lot. Though i mostly played on non-english ones. Still do, even, despite my national servers also had degenerated to shit

Not true. Gamespy is down. But servers use keys for account identification. Without it, anyone could just log on your character. That's why you need set of unique working keys. And the supply of pirate keys is low so there is big chance of conflicting keys if you use the ones from the net. There is rumour that you can use acrually totally random string of characters as a key and it will work but it never was confirmed.

How about an urban-based Waterdeep server?

And the entire map is the fuck-huge city, with various political guilds and such.

and under-city dungeons out the ass.

And who could forget halaster.

Not necessarily, but maybe. probably. Veeky Forums attitudes probably wouldn't mix with the Normie's well

the suggested published options gave been waterdeep and ptolus (Both are different takes on the same premise), or a homebrew option that fills the same niche

>nwn1 lacks races
Those are easy. shayans subrace engine.
>classes
those are doable, but more work, particularly for vancian casters. prc implemented basically all the 3.0/3.5 classes though, so people typically just use it. it *also* brings new races, without the subrace engine.
>feats
doable, particularly for use-activated skills. passive skills are trickier but typically still doable.

>nwn2 is way more work.
that right there is a good reason to skip it. we don't have much manpower

I never played nwn2 online, btw. it was the singleplayer which came across as a crappy nwn1 with a fresh coat of paint.

I did notice that the new toolkit seemed much more labor intensive

that said, I do agree that classes & feats have crappy file representations in nwn1 which are not exactly the most convenient way to make them, but I remember nwn2 having basically the same format for the classes (don't recall the feats in nwn2 )

Show of interest from our fellow prospect players. Which would you rather play in?

strawpoll.me/11787547

They're not normies, they're /b/ rejects. Nay, I would even say /r9k/ is better than them.

so seriously what is stopping some That Guy from logging in at midnight and fireballing everything

The ban he gets the morning after.

Well, classes are not the problem. It is easy to add a class in both games. It is hard to give it abilities. Unless you just want to re-use abilities of other classes. Both games treat all abilities as feats, so it's basically down to feats.

And for feats... strucure is simmilar, but there are fewer things hardcoded in nwn2 than in nwn1 and more can be changed. But the main reason is scripting. Most "new" feats aren't built by editing them and creating them to work like norma, base game feats. Rather than that, modders create "dummy" feats that do nothing at all, and then apply a script that applies their effect externally, like an invisible, infinite in time, undispellable buff when character has such feat. It is technically possible in both games, but due to nwn2's overwhelming superiority in terms of scripting, it's just way, way easier to do it in elegant way than in nwn2.

But yes. Nwn2 requires way too much work to make anything with it to even consider it as a possibility.
Just LEARNING how to create something with the toolset is task in itself. I never got past the interior area design But at this at least I got some expertise. Image is a tavern I did for a short lived project. Terrain sculpting and painting is something that eludes me.

Nobody sees that, no harm. NPCs will respawn next server restart, and nobody will never, ever consider this as something that even happened.

>ded thread

Veeky Forums gets shit done indeed..

The thing that always gets me is that a more powerful editor and more complete scripting options was what everyone was asking for in NWN1. And then NWN2 gave them what they asked for and everyone was like wait never mind, this looks hard.

NWN2 is shit for multiplayer because it's less stable, which is the #1 required feature for a PW. People will play with small worlds and tiny playerbases and bad scripting. They won't play games that crash all the time.

ok first off administrating an nwn server is one of the most cancerous experiences that exists in this world and i strongly recommend that you stop while you still can and there isnt a horde of autistics shrieking at you over a forum 24/7

with that said you guys might benefit from using an established module as a base

this is a version of the sigil: planar legends module

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30385043/nwn/SPL_v241.rar
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30385043/nwn/SPL_NWNX.zip

good module! it's higher level so you skip the boring low level part where you can't do anything, and sigil provides a very nice basis for adventuring across diverse settings

i met an actual pedophile playing this module

i don't play nwn anymore

you're just being a debbie downer, presence of pedophilia has nothing to do with the quality of a persistent world. if anything, it might even improve it by diversifying the playerbase. otherwise it'd just be a throng of sexually inactive heterosexual men hunched over their keyboards as they simulate social activity through semi-fictitious self-insert characters

It is way too complicated for what it offers though. And just quirky. And the interface is plain bad. It sucks at ergonomics, to put it simply.
They could make it with the same capabilities but with better designed tools to use it, but... it was Obsidian so it explains a lot.
Secondly NWN2 toolset never passed the beta stage, even in the last expansion they didn't dare to call it a complete product.

if you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself

Yet you still come to Veeky Forums

So, how's the server going?

The big question is whether there will be proper storylines and lasting effects from player actions.

On the one hand, it adds a sense of continuity that makes every much more engaging.

On the other, it requires someone to actually make and update that content, and we all know how that usually ends.

figuring out logistics and checking out some preconstruction options to save us time.

Interest Check?
strawpoll.de/dw3c45b

I'm a bit busy and I'm not an expert or anything, but I wouldn't mind doing worldbuilding and GMing stuff if there's enough of a community to make it worth the time.

How many people voted in a specific category but didn't check off being interested?

Because the poll doesnt have a ton of results, and it would already seem to indicate we have more people interested in particular categories, than we have people.

I was wondering the same thing.
I thought it was obvious, when I did it, that you check the "Count" option to make sure the number of people are counted but...
Apparently we have some really dumb people among us.

I checked
>Interested at all
>Player
>Admin / mod
My technical skills, at least with NWN's engine, are non-existent.

But if you need someone to put together a news letter, enforce rules or ban hammer fucktards that refuse to learn, I have prior experience.

>But if you need someone to put together a news letter, enforce rules or ban hammer fucktards that refuse to learn, I have prior experience.
kek

I had the same reaction.
He already sounds like he's power-tripping, doesn't he?

You'd be amazed how many online venues fall apart because no one wants to keep a webpage updated or they don't have the balls to ban their "friends."

Dear fucking god, the cock sucking bullshit I've seen over the years.

But user, Ravenloft IS Prisoners of the Mist.

And it's alright, but cliquey as fuck.

>He already sounds like he's power-tripping, doesn't he?
Sorry if it came off that way. I just see it as performing a necessary function.

Admin of this forum I used to frequent was really friendly, but completely spineless. Couldn't handle being the barer of bad news, so I got volunteered.

Ideally, it wouldn't be necessary. But this is Veeky Forums, where we have at least one thread a day with somebody that can't understand 'talk to them like a normal human being and, if that fails, kick them from the group.'

Fair enough.
That said, NWN PWs have two causes of death: Laziness, and power-tripping clique bullshit.
The latter is far, far more common than the former. It's something that people ought be concerned about.

True.

Did we pick the setting yet? I'm up for whatever but there's a lot of shit I don't know.

Absolutely. You need to be willing to stop people from shitting up the place, but you also need to make sure it's not cliquey unfair BS.

If we build something from scratch it looks like it'll be Ptolus.

However we're also currently researching for something already part-built, so we can get things up and running faster.

>Ptolus
>To Google!
>City packed with dungeons and a dwarven city under it.
So we're going with the urban adventure idea? Because that sounds different from the NWN servers I've played on. In a good way.

>"chaositech"
>Even more elf sub-races.
>Rape-elves
>Winged-elves
Okay, on second thought it's got some potential pitfalls. But it could work. I just really want to play anything, honestly.

For me personally, it falls as sort of a... I don't want the job really, but I'd be happy to do it if it seems needed. I have experience in community management and stuff, so I'm qualified. I guess whoever is in charge of the hosting will decide that though.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but that Discord link in the first post says it's expired. Is there a newer one?

Wouldn't necessarily keep everything fluffwise.

But yes, the goal would be something that has Urban+Dungeons+Wilderness+Rural, with Urban and Dungeons as the main focus.

I'd suggest we drop the Chaositech if we go Ptolus.

As for races, well, I'm okay with some diverging there.

The Elf subraces replace the standard ones, they're not "in addition to faerun elves."

Join the discord to see what being talked about and to add your ideas. discord.gg/DWAgNEp

Since the strawpoll was such an abysmal failure, here's a signup sheet.
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MDQyL0Dcg7MYkpL4d57hPzlsZE9MCWZXWvKAA2qXtYE/edit?usp=sharing

In Roll Call put your discord name in a blank slot.

In each of the other sheets that you're interested in something, put your "Member ID" into the appropriate slot and put a 1 in each column you're potentially interested in.

I remember that one my cleric broke low levels by getting a +1 2 3 4 spell slot ring for his class at like level three or four.

If you want to do custom base classes nwn 2 is a must nwn2 is much better with custom content overall

I was thinking more "Use this collection of existing custom content"

Not "build a whole bunch of our own custom classes and such"

Well the point stands if you want to use something like prc you are better off with nwn 2,if you just want core stuff nwn1 is fine also is there someone willing to work on this That understands how to script and how to use nwnx?
Those are the hardest skills to find good people willing to do.
Also did any of you play on Pangea? That was probably the best custom content server I played on, followed by modern zombie survival 1.

Not really, stuff like ToB is incredibly shittily implemented in NWN2 and nobody's tried psionics because it's a huge pain in the ass while that's already a done deal in NWN1. It's easy to manage simple classes like most of the stuff Kaedrin's adds, but anything more complex than that runs into engine issues.

I hope you guys are still around when I get back. I've got a campaign to run right now.

Well also kedrian stopped doing public releases last I checked since people kept stealing his shit

I know how to script. Also got a university degree for compsci, and was a career software developer for two years.

No experience with NWNX however.

>If you want to use something like PRC you should use NWN2.
Why?
And haven't we already ruled out NWN2 because we have no chance of getting the manpower needed to build a NWN2 server?

>was
As in, I very quickly burnt out of the industry and now don't even look at that kind of work while jobhunting.

Putting that degree to good use user.

Because adding base classes in nwn 1 is a pain in the ass and is generally clunky to use them for Level one even if you get the Leto scripts in place only way to do it is usually some work around like a text menu for all the level one options.

Or building your character outside the game. Like with the java character builder, or that web character builder that I saw several PWs using back in the day which I've been having a hard time finding.

Yep.

I couldn't take the shit pay, no benefits, no pension, large amounts of constant unpaid overtime, nearly everything was a short-term-contract, and management was constantly harassing the team.

I read the average burnout before people nope the fuck out is around 4 years.

In my experience, the software developer job market is toxic as fuck.

Currently working a job any schlub with highschool could do, and trying to come up with a better plan.

Maybe turn my project management courses into a career as a manager; or become an MCSE and maintain networks or some shit.

Only way I see myself using my degree now is for my own projects, of which I have a few.

>Nobody sees that, no harm. NPCs will respawn next server restart, and nobody will never, ever consider this as something that even happened.

so its not persistent

>my own projects
Including an indie game I'm not very far into which I would like to try to make a bit of cash from when its done.

Persistent as in its up 24/7, rather than just when a DM is running a session, and (presumably) the shit that happens when more people than you are actually online gets updated in the server.

But yes, by default, if you kill an NPC, and the server resets, that NPC would come back. There's not much of a way to get that kind of persistence in the game automatically. Someone would have to go in, and edit the module, and say "Somebody killed all the shopkeepers. Now we don't have any." and delete them.

>But yes, by default, if you kill an NPC, and the server resets, that NPC would come back. There's not much of a way to get that kind of persistence in the game automatically. Someone would have to go in, and edit the module, and say "Somebody killed all the shopkeepers. Now we don't have any." and delete them.
You can do it with nwn X but it will be more work then it is worth, revenge of the dead had a persistent base building mechanic that was all handled by the server.