Pathfinder General /pfg/

Have you ever played an incompetent character /pfg/? Tell me about them.

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU

Broken Shackles Playtest: app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/59701/broken-shackles-test-play
Creation Handbook Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1kitAB8sHgmuD3fvOMuI_KyV_dxpO2wrxQmbnCoRgglA/edit#
Avowed Playtest: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing

Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wvJiYrRcfQo
youtu.be/8C4lK41SX-Q
youtube.com/watch?v=N1aMhu_cs_E
pastebin.com/ZLZ1YsGr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Reposting since finally a new thread (this one'll actually hold..... right?)

Please help me understand the Blaster Armorist. I'm... actually I'm kinda lost overall.

It says you can augment the shots with blast type and shape talents. This counts it as a caster level equal to your armorist level. Since it counts as a Destructive Blast you can spend 1 spell point to deal more damage, correct?

Gather Energy lets you increase the damage to d6/Clv by increasing the action type. I imagine this makes your regular attack from 'standard' (for single shot) to Full-Round? Does that mean you can also spend a full round charging and as a second full-round action unleash a full-attack of upgraded blasts?

Between Gather Energy and regular Destructive Blast rules, whats the point of Variable-Geometry? Why would I want to spend a full-round action to pay for a blast shape and increase the damage, when I can just do this without taking the talent in the first place?

How do I reduce spell point costs further; can a particular blast shape be made cheaper for example at higher levels, or the spell points recovered in some way (not just "add more to the total per-day pool" those are self-evident)?

Are there any multiclass (or possible if ever a chance, gestalt) options that really work well with a blaster armorist? I imagine an augmentation-blade soulknife is just redundant due to the free-enchants?

I want to make a blaster that won't suck. An armorist that won't suck. Surely optimization-central can make me not just viable but good - even if it won't top out the charts.

Trying NOT to be the answer to OP's question, though first time SoP user.

Okay, so here's the deal.

You can't actually spend a spell point to jack up a blaster's cannon shot by default. You need Charge Shot for that, which is a standard.

Gather Energy also can't be applied, since it's not a valid talent for the cannonshots.

VBG is a little bit janky as fuck though, yes.

Improved Explosive Orb though, lets you reduce the radius of your exploding shots in exchange for the Shape not costing any SP.

Also something you seem to be missing is that since it's a normal weapon, the Armorist can full-attack with his cannon. Rapid Shot, Deadly Aim, those are all free game. Heck, depending on if your DM decides you can bind extra cannons or not, two-weapon fighting.

Oh, and Blasters DON'T actually get the whole 'CL = class level' deal. Their damage scales independently of their caster level, although they still use CL for things like range and the size of area effects.

Please can someone explain to me DHB's classes. How good are they? Can someone give me a rundown?

[PROFESSION (BARRISTER) INTENSIFIES]

I once played a cavalier in Reign of Winter where my GM considered snow to be difficult terrain. His mount then died trying to go through the dungeon Book 3 takes place in, and then we all died.

Help.

I have 9 skill ranks to work with.

How do I "Literally Sips_"?

Profession (Merchant), Perform (Oratory), and Craft (Alchemy) is obvious, but what else?

Appraise?

Intimidate?

Knowledge Nobility?

Yes, perfect. Bluff as well.

So this part
>The arm cannon is a ranged weapon that makes ranged touch attacks, and deals 1d6 bludgeoning damage +1d6 at 5th level and every four levels beyond 5th. The weapon has no range penalties, but has a maximum range of Close. In all other ways, the arm cannon counts as a destructive blast from the Destruction sphere with a caster level equal to the armorist’s level, but also as a ranged weapon, even being augmented by feats such as Rapid Shot, Deadly Aim (as if it were a firearm), Weapon Focus, etc.

Is not exactly accurate/well-written then? The 1SP for damage-up is an integral part of the Destructive Blast ability, so it seemed the basic damage would have been what's different.

Variable Geometry is trash as suspected then? Too bad, I hoped I'd missed something.

I'm aware of the weapon function, that much is straightforward, but it's the SP and shape usage. Where is improved explosive orb?

For a standard action, would not Energy Blade
>As a standard action, you may make a single weapon attack in conjunction with making a destructive blast. Any creature damaged by the attack is also struck by the destructive blast.
Be a better option than buying charged shot more or less? You 'carry' a regular destructive blast (with any associated type/shape selection of its own) on a full powered shot. With deadly aim and all that, that's probably better?

Is rebuff requiring an attack or the standard action normally (without SP usage)? Hopefully you're not damaging your buddy just to place the buff on 'im?

Round it off with Handle Animal for Guy the Sheep and Knowledge (Engineering).

It's not the MOST well written archetype in the world, but it states specifically what the damage is.

VBG isn't COMPLETE trash, but... it's janky. The benefit of it is that you pay for the SHAPE. You DON'T have to pay for the damage up. And if that shape doesn't cost anything (Like with Improved Explosive Orb), then the whole thing doesn't cost anything. It's just a full-round action. Improved Explosive Orb is a feat, by the by.

And also, regarding Energy Blade, yes you can do that. But recall that the destructive blast you send along with it is based off your craptastic low-caster CL.

So at level 10, that'd be +5d6 damage if you spent the SP there, plus the damage of your cannonblast, which I think is two dice at that point?

Compared to charge shot, which'd get you 10d6. And you still get all that normal deadly aim shit on that.

Now, what you CAN do... is grab Improved Energy Blade, which lets you 'precharge' it as a swift, to apply on your next weapon attack. So you can do a charge shot at the same time as get the benefit from Energy Blade.

Improved Energy Blade is also a feat, by the by.

Rebuff, as far as I'm aware, works as normal. Although since it still runs off CL, it won't be the most impressive. In fact, since there's nothing about it that'd change (as far as I'm aware) if you're using it with your cannon or with your normal casting, the point is kind of moot.

Next you'll tell me that they're from Druma.

>Have you ever played an incompetent character /pfg/?

> DM-kun had a campaign in mind. It was going to be fun he, said
> Think of it as Hard Mode, he said
> It will challenge you all and no one will be safe he said
> Hype.exe enabled, everyone rolls a min/max character
> Not me
> If it's going to be Hard Mode, I want it to be Suicide Mode
> Game night I roll in with a Commoner NPC class with 10's straight down my stat line
> DM-kun won't let me play unless I roll my stats
> We play and I'm fucking useless
> I'm stuck throwing Alchemist Fires like a mook
> End up hurting my party more often then the enemies
> Miraculously make it to level 5 without dying
> Took Fleet as a feat because reasons
> Be in a dungeon facing off a giant crystal that's slowly cracking
> Everyone is standing in cinematic hero poses waiting for whatever comes
> Me too, albeit 10 feet behind the group
> Crystal breaks
> Suddenly ghosts, thousands of them
> Everyone futilely tries to run away
> I futilely run faster than everyone else by 5 feet (20 while running)
> Everyone else gets eaten by ghosts
> Ghosts nip at my heels
> I fucking book it out of the dungeon and into the sunlight
> I literally survived a TPK due to Fleet
> Feels Good Man

So my friend had an idea for a 0th level campaign about regular folk thrust into a strange situation. So I did the only reasonable thing to do. I made the person the least suited for adventuring I could: an old grandmother. We rolled stats as 3d6 (Yeah... I know...) so I decided to go all in and roll straight down the line. I came out of there with 4 CON.

After the first session we leveled up to 1, were assigned classes based on our characters and actions (and what some of the other players requested), and were given stat boosts accordingly. I was tempted to place it elsewhere, but I when ahead and put one of my boosts into CON. She's still dumb as a brick, and ill-suited for adventuring, but this GM has a reputation for going easy when players are about to die, so I've decided to tempt fate as much as I can.

It's actually become an interesting character trait. She's willing to die because she's gonna go soon anyway. Better her than one of these youngsters.

>Wrath of the Righteous
>Find holy sword
>Only the GMPC can wield it

fucking kill me

So that's where all the caster-level increases come in.

Orb Expert would let every shot have a 5' radius (10' at CL 10+) and increases the save DC by 2... or would be but as a low caster having anything with evasion-none is a terrible idea. It basically will be half damage to everything or none if they have evasion. Sure it's AoE but you've just made sure it wouldn't work...

So it's single target all the way, and most talents should be aimed at buffing yourself as a weapon user then.

But then you might as well just be a soulknife which has plenty of debilitating on-hit special effect options as well.

So what class did she get for 1st-level as her reward for surviving?

Yes. It's a bit of a janky class and archetype.

I did do some pondering myself to fix it, but that doesn't exactly help you.

And as for special effects, recall you can hit people with these things like, up to 6 times a round. It won't matter quite so much if that stagger DC is 5 lower than it'd be if you were a fullcaster (At 20th level, mind. The gap is smaller before then), because you're forcing them to make it so many goddamn times.

>GMPC
>not expecting this to fuck you
>not know the GMPC is the chosen one and you're all going to be their servant

Should have seen that coming desu

Ah well, so much for that idea then. It's too bad; felt like it had potential, but in the end it's kinda like akashic hand cannons.

I was gonna go for some sort of angry lava-cannon druid (blaster/warder), but the spirit parts of nature are all pretty crappy (spend 1 spell point to get +1 natural AC for one minute! yay!) and the blaster side's still just an armorist in the end.

Thanks for trying though.

Nope, born in Vudra, raised in Cheliax.

The worst part is how I called her out on her Paladinhood because the GMPC is a tiefling that keeps being racist against other Tieflings.

As a Paladin of Ragathiel. Racism is like, the only thing the dude doesn't tolerate.

dude its too late

i'll even spell out how this ends

she's going to replace/become a minor god like Ragathiel and all your characters are going to become her divine servants

prepare yourself

Oracle. Story behind that, too.
So the basic situation was we all woke up strapped to tables with no memory of being kidnapped, and whoever had done so had been experimenting with necromancy. Shit got fucked, and everyone who worked there was getting out of dodge, and we had to bust out too. On our way out, we encountered some spooky-ass monster that looked like it was blinded. It didn't notice us, and was bleeding from it's eyes. Furthermore, the blood that hit the ground turned to small gouts of flame. We avoided it as best we could.

So later on, we're about to get out of this place, but ol' toasty-eyes is in the way. The would-be Warlock-Vigilante already dropped a building on it and set it on fire, but that just healed it's eyesight. The would-be Paladin already changed it, botched spectacularly, dropped his sword, and ran off screaming. Everyone's look around at each other going, "Welp. That was fun." Finally, I figure it's worth a shot, and try to read a scroll I found at the thing. The GM asks for a Will save as I read it, and I think I rolled a five or something. Maybe even a one. I black out, and hear the voice of the goddess of life say, "You've overstepped your bounds. Come find me." I wake back up to find a gaping golden hole in the creature's chest and a similar hole in the scroll. Turns out it was a Scroll of Final Sacrifice. All I said was, "Oh dear..."

Turns out, if I had passed the Will save, I'd have been a Cleric. As it was, the goddess had to bail me out.

I cannot sleep and some of the comments from my HV character left me feeling unsatisfied so I decided to give it another go.

>Marshall Rhames (Or some other hard ass name)
>Warder(ZS)/Slayer(Vanguard) LE
>Going for a more overt evil this time. Kicking puppies and owning evil

>"Everyone has a place, and those who step out of line need to be pushed back into the mud. And if you think you are too good for the mud then there is always the [executioners] block."
>Grew up in a Hellknight family, prolly the Order of the Nail or Chain.
>family is super patriotic, devote worshipers
>Idolized his father who was a member
>Believes in absolute order of things to the point of OCD.
>Zealous and loyal to superiors. Believes that Might makes Right and until you are mightier than those above you, you grow your power
>Accused his own brother and friend of sedition (bellflower sympathizers) and watched them dragged off
>Didnt look away at their executions, he felt pride in doing his duty
>Aspires to be a Hellknight just like his dad
>Would die in glorious combat in the name of Order
>Would lead others to die in glorious combat in the name of Order

Idk, good, bad, please no meh.

can someone describe to me that encounter where you smash that guy's toy horse in an AP to make him give up?

Describe the situation.

I mean, sounds a little normie but that can be ok.

It's a toy dragon, if I recall.

I forget the specifics, but I think he offs himself in shame if you force him to back down with it.

FML Maybe I just cant do hammy evil.

He keeps it in his room. If you go to his room before you find him you can pick up a toy dragon, a childhood gift from his aunt. It is like his comfort blanket or some such and he agrees to almost anything so long as you do not break it and give it back to him. He follows through on what you asked of him.

i mean you've just made what could be a hellknight NPC

Where's the hook.

80s exploitation is key for HV, this is your chance to embrace cliches and such.

So you threaten a good memory of his childhood and then he commits suicide in dishonor? How is that supposed to feel good for anyone?

Is he evil?

>Is he evil?

According to the book, yes.

What book is this from?

I thought that was card carrying bad guy. Like a Judge Dredd mixed with a CEO of water and power.

What am I missing? What makes it hammy if not over the top devotion to keeping people in their place, turning on your family when they step out of line and wanting to smash peoples teeth in if they dont like the way things are ran?

Maybe if you go further on the DREDD angle. Ham that up.

Should be 99, dance of the damned

Looking in Dance of the Damned, can't find it.

Thanks for the feedback user. Im starting to think I just cant do hammy evil. I will think on it and idk.

Pg 34 and 35. Lucian is stated out and under his room is a chest with treasure inside that mentions the toy Wyvern

Ah I was searching for dragon, not wyvern.

Play one section of them up a lot, thats a good start

youtube.com/watch?v=wvJiYrRcfQo

I think my problem is I think I have enough when really I dont go far enough. To me, turning in a friend and family member for the sake of order is a lot.

So I can make him what, dress in his fathers uniform as a kid, keep little tin soldiers with him as an adult or have him keep his dads medals as reminders, really push the might makes right belief and how everyone belongs somewhere even if they are one the lowest rung. Ham up the pyramid structure of Feudalism while making him self serving Law?

And even as I look over this it still feels NPCish.

Ok so heres' the thing.

the tin soldiers n shit, thats a quirk

Its not hammy or scenery chewing

Think Lelouch

You may not think you can't do this, but you totally can. Its just a very different character style

Basically my suggestion is, take something, like the law adherence

And crank that shit to 11.

Crank it.

CRANK IT.

You need to be more over the top son.

youtu.be/8C4lK41SX-Q

Over

The

Top.

TO

THE

I have not seen the Code Geass or what ever Lelouch is in. I dont think I have enough time to watch it. Do I want LAW or MIGHT IS RIGHT?

This feels more deranged than anything. I thought I did that with my first character but it was relegated to meh status.

it doesn't matter. choose one.

I think I like might is right better. Fits more with the evil theme.

youtube.com/watch?v=N1aMhu_cs_E

Idea: A monk with a bow, built around provoking AOOs for firing in melee

ok

Alright. I think I get it a bit more. I can still keep the turning in his brother thing. I just need to focus more on why that was such a turning point. Make it more along the lines of how could his best bud and bro be traitors and if they can be traitors, they all can be.

So if they all can be traitors then order is always in danger. And so it has to be stopped at all costs, people have to be made to conform, have to be made to see how the whole society could be destroyed and that must not be allowed no matter the cost. His means will always justify the ends because he saw in his bro and friend what happens when you just let it slide. Something bad could have happened that lead to him turning them in. He lost his sister or a loved one.

Zero tolerance scorched earth policy on anyone who steps out of line. It is not enough that they go to the block, they have to be made an example of so no one repeats their mistakes.

Right?

>Paladin/Oracle with cha to hit, cha to damage, cha to AC, cha to saves, cha to reflex saves

Now you're feeling it user

I am much more excited about this now.

excellent, that was my goal

Mythic Black tentacles states that creatures immune to grappling from nonmythic sources are not immune to it, but the checks are done at -5

However, Freedom of Movement doesn't make you immune from grappling, simply makes grappling automatically fail. Does it still mean you can use FoM to get out of a Mythic black tentacle?

That's the same gosh dang thing and you know it, user. It fails because you're immune to it.

>where my GM considered snow to be difficult terrain
That's because it is? Deep snow drifts are explicitly called out in book 1 as difficult terrain.

Yeah, my GM is the one saying it's not immunity.

Same guy stuck with a GMPC dealing 30+ damage per round at level 2 and who found the magic sword only the GMPC can use, I enjoy my suffering. See what I mean when I say the guy hates magic?

Hm...Would it be possible to turn an avant-garde or the like into some kind of angry blasty druid?

I mean more along the lines of Circle-Ouroboros (Warmahordes) or FF Geomancers; fuck shapeshifting and talking to animals, bearforms can gofuck their bears for all I care.

How is this?

pastebin.com/ZLZ1YsGr

Seriously, user. Get out while you still can. Life is too short for GMPCs

>Svana deleted their account
>We will never get thicc motherly boarfus
Fuck

user you need to HAM it up even more.

HAM is a feeling, it's going over-the-top in a way that makes you go "holy shit that's stupid, I want more." You shouldn't be trying to give us a realistic breakdown of the littlest Hellknight realizing his obsession with the law, we want Nick Angel, the little boy that rode around on a toy horse arresting other children before becoming TOO GOOD FOR WESTCROWN and thrown at a sleepy country village with a big secret!

Oh my god please no, I found an excellent piece of character art for Svana and everything.

Damnit! Im going to bed. Too tired to write.

He promised he would change and he would fix this.

I'm like a beaten wife.

Deleted their account =/= deleted their interest!

Post it anyway, someone might have use of a thick motherly-looking character!

Just look up Tyra on Deviant-Art, she's got art in every range of quality, state of undress or style.

Nah it kind of does

Alternatively, what gestalts well with an avant-guard kineticist anyways?

I don't know, scarred witch doctor. Blasters and Kineticists are kinda awkward in that not a whole lot really *helps* them because they technically don't use weapons and blasts/rays don't play nice with maneuvers.

Very few things gestalt well with kineticist, since it's CON main, unless you're willing to sink two feats and a racial choice into taking the Altered Life and Mind Afire feats to use WIS or CHA instead, in which case the world is your oyster.

However, Avant Guard stacks with Roil Dancer; I recently built one and it's so complex that it's like a gestalt in and of itself.
If you do that, I'd genuinely recommend gestalting Fighter: you could use all the bonus feats it gives you, and the Magic Item Mastery feat line lets you use your CON to cast from wondrous items.

Not necessarily.
It's a spell-like, so a conductive weapon could allow you to discharge a full blast so long as you can hit once.

You're losing overflow's to-hit bonus, but if that's in exchange for full-BAB you probably don't care.

An Augmented-Blade with a double-crossbow might start coming into his own as a gestalt side but not before 5th when they can stick conductive onto there.

Alternately, Avowed.
Avowed is a great passive class and it's possible to make builds for it that don't need CHA at all.

>conductive weapons
Yeah, but those are gay.

Go full hadoken or go home.

How are you going to do damage with nothing but kinetic blast, though?

I'd like to if possible.

>yfw you didn't even make the tier list

This only comes online at level 11, but:
>Gestalt Manifester 1/Mystic 4/Awakened Blade 6: Get the ability to recover psionic focus as a free action whenever you recover a maneuver. Mystic recovery is free, you recover it free every round.

>Take inner fire and expend psionic focus with every move action gather power to alleviate 3 burn from your blast every turn, use this to slap big stuff on it.
>Bonus: Take one of the Gather Power feats to gain the full-round effect every turn

What's a good secondary sphere focus for a Spheres of Power Elementalist?

I don't think mystics RECOVER those maneuvers; the term used is 'granted'

Go Manifester 1/Bushi 4/Awakened Blade 6 instead. You'll have to take Mixed Combat manually once you qualify but you still have your free action recovery.

Alternately, for something that comes online at level 9 and doesn't even need Awakened Blade (which is legally grey depending on how closely your GM follows the original gestalt rules):
>Go Riven Hourglass and Sleeping Goddess
>Take Sleeping Goddess Style and Psionic Meditation to be able to recover psionic focus and a single maneuver as a move action
>Use the Relativity Burst counter to gain a move action with your immediate/swift action
>Use the move action to regain psionic focus and recover Relativity Burst (yes this is allowed)
>You have your move action to augmented gather power and your standard to blast

Repeat.

**Actually the first one is overall better as Manifester 4/Bushi 1/Awakened Blade 6 because you lose fewer manifester levels without much maneuver loss because of Practiced Initiator, my bad

Tell me a story anons!

Which character is yours?

Small sized tiefling sneaky killy person.

>tfw no sweet adorable Drow girl that's convinced she's a Dwarf or Human

>What's a good secondary sphere focus for a Spheres of Power Elementalist?

Warp for teleporting, War for rallies, Life for self-healing, Divination for all day senses, Dark for Darkvision, Protection for Resist Energy and Deflection...

What's Rikku? Is there room for a peppy tech girl in your average Pathfinder party?

An artificer? Sure, they're quite strong.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. Dip some life for some invigoration(or whatever the talent was that essentially nets you infernal healing) and fatigue recovery.

Divination for blind sight with blindfolded oracle, not sure if that makes 60 feet darkvision irrelevant since Blindfoled Oracle is only 30 feet 30+5/2 levels.

How are you getting that to work with your kinetic blast though?

>the Dex/Int build is objectively superior to my Str/Cha build
>fewer resources spent to be functional, more skills, better spells, doesn't rely entirely on GM fiat
>I'm just so sick of making skinny dex fuccbois, but hate the shit out of heavy armor
>We will never get a 1pp class that works like Brutal Slayer Stalker

Bite the bullet and go strength, user.

I have never made a slender fuccboi and I've always felt like the heavy hitter of the group. Don't let the bleating of /pfg/ turn you off.

Theorycrafting is like alcohol; it's fun to share with friends and have a good night, but if you do it too often it will poison you. Strength works, Charisma works, you might lose one or two +1s but those don't mean shit in the scheme of things.

Maneuvers mostly don't work with your kinetic blast unless you're a Roil Dancer, it's true.

It's just a gimmick build that lets you always effectively full-round gather power and blast in the same turn, while ignoring all the rest of your initiating.

Roil Dancer is pretty fun, though.

I started a lewd campaign in hopes for dicks and all I got was women.

Which campaign is yours?

What book are they in?