What system has the best mechanics for Kingdom building? My guys want to get some crunchy rules for it...

What system has the best mechanics for Kingdom building? My guys want to get some crunchy rules for it, and I don't feel like making my own.

Other urls found in this thread:

drivethrurpg.com/product/2419/Infernum--Book-of-the-Conqueror?it=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

pic related; it's the barony they just "inherited"

I would love this shit.

Darkest Dungeon raiding time!

Pathfinder has Kingdom Builder, but it's kinda shit. We're using it in a 4e game but it mostly ignores involving the stupid bits, applying modifiers where they make sense and treating the kingdom stats as a general score rather than associating specific mechanics with any of them, since the whole thing is janky and broken.

There's also Meikyuu Kingdom, but that's a very Japanese take on RPG kingdom building and might be weird for some.

I've also heard that Reign has some decent stuff along those lines?

GURPS has the best mechanics for anything. Everything else is just fluff.

The depressing thing is that some people actually believe this.

Stop false flagging, troll faggot. I get that you feel touched in your bad place by GURPS but you don't have to drag the community down with you.

Quick background
>NPC King of a lesser kingdom is the father of all the PC's
>King is basically King Edward "the Longshanks" from Braveheart, with Ser Gregor Clegane's army.
>My group is one of each flavor of lawful; Good, Neutral, and Evil
>Evil guy is the youngest brother and is sick of his father's mismanagement.
>Neutral guy is the eldest brother and hates the brutality of the soldiery
>Good guy is the middle brother and hates the brutal treatment of the peasants- plus all of the above
>I figure that an Assassination plot might make for a good story hook
>PC's deliberately fail to foil it (Good guy actually tried- but without everyone on board there was not much he could do).
>Plot goes through
>PC's set to work trying to "make things right" by arresting/killing everyone they know to be involved

The whole group wants to do a crunchy kingdom-building game with story elements. I must admit, I'm kinda curious to see how that would work.
I might try this. I'm looking it over, and I like that there is a city-building mechanic to it. It pleases the Sim City 2000 fan in me.

I'll give Meikyuu Kingdom a look as well

what are you lads on about. GURPS is actually the best system. If want to play medieval fantasy I will prefer 2 ed D&D but thats because the fluff is way better.

Stop being fat autists

OP here. Does GURPS even do domain management? We're playing an OSR rules set, so I'm looking for a set of rules that I can just "Drag-and-Drop" into this.

if you like the idea of dynasties tied into your kingdom-building, check out pendragon

You're an idiot. And this is coming from someone who plays GURPS almost exclusively. Please stop making us all look like assholes.

Anyway, leaving now to avoid shitting up OP's thread further.

Check out "Reign".

What do you mean by "very japanese take"? Do the japanese have a different take on that beyond anime looks?

Infernum has a halfway decent domain building and control system. Has monthly events, upkeep and internal security, keeping the upper nobility happy and appeasing their idiocies etc.
It's also chock full of all dat given that it was one of the inspirations.

I'd upload it but the file is ~30 meg and it's too early for me to figure out mega, so have the core and a link to the kingdom focused book:
drivethrurpg.com/product/2419/Infernum--Book-of-the-Conqueror?it=1

0 arguments.

to answer your question, there is a book, but it is actually quite cumbersome to use. You might be better off using Reign, which you can also just ignore the fluff and use the system for your campaign.

alternatively pendragon's Noble book. Although I don't know anything that does domain management that well. I always house rule the shit out of it.

The post I was replying to didn't have an argument either, I was just responding in kind.

Japanese TTRPG's have a very strong trend and theme in their design, due to the unique conditions in Japan during the time most of them were made. We're only now getting translations of a lot of their older titles.

Could you provide fewer details

But you mean aesthetic design or something else? like this user says you're not really awnsering my question, you're just saying "yes, it's different".

I mean, it's okay, thanks for the info, but I want to know a bit more.

I'm not an expert, but from what I recall it's a general tendency towards rule light, narrative heavy systems (to the point they can feel railroady to western audiences) which only make use of D6's.

The main reason for this was that most Japanese didn't have a space in their home large enough for a gaming group to enjoy, or it wasn't socially acceptable to make use of it. That, combined with busy work habits, meant it was common for Japanese groups to meet very rarely but have specific 'scripts' in mind for what would the happen, guidelines to how things would go in order to let the story at least get somewhere. The d6 thing is just that custom dice were almost impossible to get over there for a long time.

BECMI has some good stuff.

Bushido

>GURPS is actually the best system.
as dumb as the deendeefags that will try to sell me that D&D is so "incredibly flexible" because it's "so modular". it's just an average RPG and as such it has its strength and weaknesses (it's strengths lie in gamism).
same with GURPS - it has its strengths. fast and furious combat isn't one of them.

By default, yes. Not so much when you add martial arts or dungeon fantasy.
I totally get not wanting to pick which rules get used, but nobody can say GURPS doesn't have the most potential.

OP, I have had the exact same problem you had and the best advice I can give you is to steal a little from EVERYTHING.

The systems I know that you can steal from are Meikyuu Kingdom, Exalted 3e, and Pathfinder. Each one has its down sides and up sides, so I might as well explain my thoughts on them in this post.

>Meikyuu Kingdom
Meikyuu Kingdom is a Japanese TTRPG, which means it has one major flaw by design: It is made to only last 1-3 sessions. Because of this, it is hard to use any specific mechanic from the game, but design-wise it has a lot of good ideas. The one thing you I highly recommend stealing is the idea that the kingdom buildings can DIRECTLY help out the PCs. Meikyuu Kingdom has building that give the PCs access to extra abilities, better equipment, and the ability to gain more followers (red shirts you sacrifice to eat up damage or get bonuses on rolls). Now, you don't need to copy the buildings exactly, but something of a similar concept should work (A wizard tower that allows the party wizard to research/create new spells for example)

>Exalted 3e
Exalted's system is a complete lack of a system. The 3e rule book essentially recommends that you give the PCs what they say they want done, unless it is something important, then you MUST have something go wrong. Building a fleet of ships? Well lightning struck the lumber yard and now all the wood is gone, what do? The game also recommends that any solution the players give should have some kind of repercussion. Did you buy lumber from the neighboring kingdom? Well some of that wood is cursed because the neighboring kingdom are dicks. Get your ships to the Sacred Ocean to rid them of their curse. Great way to ensure continuous adventure.

>Pathfinder/Kingmaker
The only thing I liked about Kingmaker was the city map. Getting an empty map and being told "this is your land, what do you do with it?" is pretty exciting, for me at least.

Lurk in the CYOA bread, there's some actually good point-based systems like Domain-CYOA (fantasy setting) and Solar Inheritance (Scifi/Space Opera), to name a few. Veeky Forums gets shit done, yeah.

Have you heard of Microscope? Try the PDF Share bread, it's likely there.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm giving Pendragon a look.

Do you know which CYOA is likely to have it?

Microscope is great, but I don't see how you would use it in OP's situation.

REIGN has kickass company rules that can stretch from a single village to a mighty empire.

I'll just be happy to get someone else enjoying Infernum personally. It's a fun take on hell.