/40krpg/ 40k RPG General

Overreacting Rogue Trader Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.10) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/lfbawnl8buxaoc3

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.4) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/vyv56zze9m828d2

What was the biggest in universe faux pas your group has committed and what was the result?

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8JDkdc246QQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>What was the biggest in universe faux pas your group has committed and what was the result?
Our Rogue Trader once dueled a rival in the middle of the party infront of an Ordos Xenos Inquisitor. Now normally this wouldn't be that big of a deal except the RT uses a best quality Eldar power sword he took off a howling banshee exarch. The result was the Inquisitor inviting the party to tea the next day and instead we took a long long tour of the dynasties holdings in the southern reaches.

That was probably a plot thread you missed.

How would RPing Death Korps soldiers in an inquisitorial retinue go?
Background:
My players lead by their inquisitor wanted to requisition a Subterranean assault Death Korps crew for a battle I honestly have no idea how that particular confrontation would go

>What was the biggest in universe faux pas your group has committed and what was the result?

fortunately avoided it via fate point reroll
first mission as deathwatch kill-team
An Imperial Fist Tact Marine (me), a Blood Angels Librarian, a Salamanders Assault, and another Raven Guard Tact (DMPC due to 4 person module but insufficient player amount)
Deal with xeno artifacts on planet that is currently war site between IG and Tau
Our rolls were the main culprit in our near-failure as proper spess mehreens.

We get flown in via Thunderhawk, drop into live combat, I'm SL, we have to help defend
I land, try to spray the horde of kroot in front of me, and jam my bolter.
First time into actual combat as part of DW and i fuggit up already

Later on, active xeno artifact tries to fear us, WP check
should be GG, IF get +10 to WP on char creation.
End up rolling worst among the entire group

Meanwhile, Librarian is very liberal with his application of the Warp
Thanks to fate point rerolls, narrowly manages to avoid summoning a daemon prince TWICE during the mission.

Majority of kills end up being done by the Salamanders and the Raven Guard, with my genre savviness and my character's piety ending up causing some good planning and some decent persuasion
And the Librarian, not having learnt his lesson, ends up getting 7 corruption points and giving me 1 due to Perils of the Warp (can't remember the specifics, so don't ask)

Abandoned plot thread in a Hive to investigate another in the neighboring one.

By the time we returned, having destroyed Hive 2 with the explosives the local heretics intended to destroy it with in order to stop the Greater Daemon that manifested as the result of a bad roll by a sorcerer we were trailing, Hive 1 was teeming with Plague Zombies.

And then it turned out Hive 2 being destroyed awakened another Greater Daemon entombed beneath it.

It ended in Exterminatus.

Is there any more information on why FFG isn't renewing/is losing the WH40k license?

Is there any chance of the license being snapped up by Wizards or Paizo?

Anyone ever thought of playing OW/BC/DH2/RT during the Horus Heresy. I'd love to run a game in during and even before the HH. Problems I have though is that there need to be stats for a ton of new weaponry plus gear. And more importantly I'm trying to think of how DH game would work pre creation of Inquisition. Would that just mean the only systems (lore wise) that would be appropriate would be RT, OW and BC. Anyways anyone else interested in making a homebrew rulebook/splatbook to port the current systems into the HH setting?

Aren't they just creepy and obedient all the time?
And zealous, but in a weird, dispassionate way. So if you start waving chaos shit around they'll probably shoot you, but otherwise they obey every order without question.
Though honestly, I think Death Korp psycho-conditioning could probably provide a good baseline for a radical inquisitor to mold to his will.
They're already obedient, fearless and incorruptible, all you have to do is instill in them absolute obedience to the Inquisitor and then you could have a kill squad that doesn't balk at massacring other servants of the Emperor to secure a relic for you, nor will they ever start getting curious about using the dark powers for *their* own ends.
Although, they might be so devout that you can't re-program them away. I haven't read their novels yet, so I dunno.
Anyway, I'd just suggest playing up the fact that they're very morbid and matter of fact about everything. They might casually suggest moving through an area of fatal levels of radiation, because it'll take several hours for them to die and in that time they can finish the mission while having an acute tactical advantage based on coming from an unexpected area.
Other than that, they don't really speak unless spoken to, and tend to keep to themselves.

My headcanon is that Krieg secretly all have wonderful singing voices, due to their heavy tradition of military cadences and moral songs. Inspired by this scene: youtube.com/watch?v=8JDkdc246QQ

I'm with you with the voice thing
That's what I was thinking but it's mentioned they occasionally let their emotions slip and ... well it's weird.
Anyway I meant in the capacity of the inquisitor and the acolytes actually talking to the general and asking him to borrow a team. How would he react? How would the troops? Would he have any objections? There's nothing he can do about inquisitorial forces taking units but at the same time he won't be able to complete his objective? Idk it's just bugging me

the Fringe is Yours already did that.

It has been speculated that FFG lost the license because they were starting to become actual competitors of GW, what with X-Wing.

As for where the license will go... No one knows. It's probably still being negotiated over at the moment. I can't imagine it'll disappear into the ether though. Dark Heresy and the like are very popular.

I always get so worried about those. Is it a trap or actually something beneficial? Was the Inquisitor honestly intrested in the story behind the sword and nothing more? Could there have been a new ally there? Was it actually just an obvious trap? We'll never know.

Here ya go /40krpg/, I placed the 9 loyal first founding chapters in relation to the Enneagram. The following are the individual and overall chapter personality matched with their Enneagram typing...

>Type 1
Ultramarines, 1s are known as the reformers. Shouldn't be a surprise why the Ultramarines would be reformers since everyone knows the pushed the Codex Astartes one the other chapters. Ultramarines are also perfectionists and idealistic in trying to live up to the Codex. Unhealthy 1s can come off as dogmatic and are often hostile to people who refuse to cooperate with them in doing what 1s view as the “right thing”. They are both self-righteous and inflexible in their approaches.

>Type 2
Salamanders, 2s are also known as helpers. Both Salamanders and 2s are people-pleasing and generous. This is seen in the Salamanders caring for civilians and maintain a close relationship with their successor chapters. 2s are warm people which the Salamanders can be as well, both for their caring nature and their love of fire and burning things. Both can be possessive, this type of activity is seen in the Salamanders as they are obsessed in collecting Vulkon’s artifacts and keeping their technology to themselves. Salamanders and 2s can be dependent of others, this is seen with their reliance on dragons in their homeworld and with their obsession with their primarch. Salamanders even formed their own cult dedicated to Vulkan, the Promethean Cult. Salamanders believe you are only as weak as your weakest link, because of this each Salamander is expected to not only carry their weight but to be as useful as possible. This because of their reliance in small companies that breaks away from the Codex Astartes, this forces the Salamanders to do multiple jobs for a given mission.

>Type 3
White Scars, 3s are as known as the achievers. White Scars and 3s are success-oriented and pragmatic, everything they do is to ensure total victory. White Scars recruits are taken from planets where local gangs battle each other for membership within the chapter, this ensures the White Scars with the most brutal and toughest marines. White Scars and 3s are highly driven in the quest of being the best. White Scars strive to be the best mobile fighters and will actively pit their skills against Elders or Orks to see who’s the best biker. Image is very important to both White Scars and 3s. White Scars take time and care for their moustaches, flowing hair and bikes. They are both very cultured and poised, with White Scars writing pottery and wearing fine silk in their downtime.

>Type 4
Iron Hands, 4s are known as the individualists. I was tempted putting [Spoiler] the Space Wolves [/Spoiler] here but the Iron Hands are the chapter I feel that are most dramatic, temperamental and obsessed with their self-image. 4s view themselves being different from the others, much like how the Iron Hands view other chapters as being weak due to relying on flesh rather than on cyber-enhancements. They both can be selfish in views, often caring only about themselves. This contempt of others is expressed in the Iron Hands’ philosophy known as the Tempering. 4s love art and use it to express their individuality, Iron Hands use technology as their muse, their vehicles are a work of art. Iron Hands and 4s are the most regenerating of the chapters and typings, as they believe their experiences or injuries can be used in transforming themselves into their ideals. Iron Hands and 4s are highly inspired in their views and both can be self-destructive.

>Type 5
Raven Guard, 5s are known as the investigators. Raven Guards and 5s are secretive and isolated compared to other chapters and typings. They believe in studying a situation or an enemy thoroughly before engaging or making decisions. Raven Guards prefer identifying and attacking weak points rather than all-out assault. Both place a high value on knowledge, with Raven Guard using scouts and Covert Ops to uncover and gather enemy secrets. They both can be highly intelligent and reasonable but they can often at times be reclusive.

>Type 6
Dark Angels, 6s are as known as the loyalists. No one is more loyal than the Dark Angels…NO ONE! Dark Angels and 6s can be bit of a paradox, often relying or rebelling against authority. Both are very committed to their mission and value security, often using a “by any means necessary” to secure it. Because of this, they both can be anxious and volatile in their actions. Dark Angels and 6s are suspicious of “outsiders” and act standoffish towards them. They both develop a strong sense of “brotherhood” to those who do earn their loyalty, often sacrificing themselves for others within their groups. Dark Angels and 6s stress the value of comradeship and intense bond that they develop a “us vs. them” mentality.

>Type 7
Blood Angels, 7s are known as the enthusiasts. 7s are spontaneous and rely on their feelings to fuel them, much like how the Blood Angels rely on blood. When 7s are unhealthy they can have extreme mood swings and are desperate to silence their anxieties much like the Blood Angels' Black Rage and Red Thirst. Despite this, 7s are quite optimistic much like their primarch. Due to their long life, Blood Angels can be scattered and love learning new skills much like real-life 7s do.

>Type 8
Space Wolves, 8s are also known as challengers. 8s and Space Wolves are self-confident, aggressive and strong. They both can come off as arrogant bullies, which in the Space Wolves case had them fight with both loyal and non-loyal chapters. They are both assertive, example of the Space Wolves refusing to follow the Codex Astartes. The Space Wolves reliance on Rune Priests goes against the ban on using sorcery. When a Space Wolf shows up on your planet...you know there's going to be a fight!

>Type 9
Imperial Fists, 9s are also known as the peacemakers. Accepting and trusting, Imperial Fists and 9s are some of the most loyal people and chapter out there. They have earned the right to call Terra their homeworld. Imperial Fists and 9s are stubborn and often downplay problems, which leads to Imperial Fists to get stuff done despite everything falling apart about them. Despite their hard-work and success, Imperial Fists and 9s can be self-effacing which often makes them play second fiddle to other chapters like the Ultramarines. Though Imperial Fists and 9s are complacent and having a smug air about them as they believe to truly be the best chapter around that can ensure victory. They both care about keeping the peace and often act as a mediator to solve disputes. The Imperial Fists actively tried to keep the Imperium and fiercely defend it from attacks. They are both stoic and slow to change. Yet they can change their views and opinions to promote harmony, like their primarch did to keep the peace by breaking up his chapter according to the Codix. Both retreat to their fantasy or safe place, for the Imperial Fists…this is the pain glove.

Let me know what ya think!

I've heard that FFG declined to renew, not that they lost the license.

Did anything ever explain the Hereticus Tenebrae in Dark Heresy, the Warp Gate in Deathwatch, or the Heart of Cthulgha in Only War?

I do know they left the Hereticus Tenebrae deliberately unexplained throughout Dark Heresy's entire run.

It's whatever the GM decides it should be.

Interesting user but uh...wrong thread?

Well, I guess that's that then.

Can multiple branches of one family hold multiple levels of Rogue Trader Warrants?

What about the future where people are worshiping shadows and Fahid Constantine is a traitor from the last Haarlock adventure? What was that supposed to be a reference to?

I don't quite understand the question. So, I'm going to say no.

Like, if you have one person holding the Greater Warrant of Trade for the family, but then some cousin buys a Lesser Warrant of Trade from some other failed Rogue Trader, or a distant uncle finds a Warrant of Trade on a space hulk, then what?

Are you all Rogue Trader of the House of Whatever?

Do you start your own House?

Or is it just considered invalid since you've been granted a warrant already for your bloodline?

There are no lesser or greater warrants. Warrants are granted to specific people and/or families to accomplish some specific goal.

Finding a warrant of trade would be useless because you would not be of that particular family. Now if the family is all dead you could easily argue you were a long lost relative and no one would question you, because you have a warrant of trade.

>Finding a warrant of trade would be useless because you would not be of that particular family
Not all warrants are so specific - some entitle the bearer, the owner of a specific voidship, etc, or use other particular terms.

Doesn't Rogue Trader have at least one character who won the Warrant in a card game?

That seems like a really irresponsible way to give out power rivaling an Inquisitor. But then again this is the empire that took their most valuable military asset and divided into segments so small they couldn't possibly launch any major operations then made them all totally autonomous and answerable to no one.

>But then again this is the empire that took their most valuable military asset and divided into segments so small they couldn't possibly launch any major operations then made them all totally autonomous and answerable to no one.

And there is good reason for this.

They destroyed a Hammerhead in duel. With a damaged Leman Russ so damaged it wasn't much more than a battle canon on threads.
I'll admit, out of universe I got the Hammerhead stats wrong. Like, so much, much wrong.

But I decided to work this feat in the campaign. They are now in custody under potential treason suspicion and will work under strict commisarial surveillance.
They where EXTREMELY lucky not being immediatly BLAMmed, but the commissar is not an idiot and don't want to waste efficient manpower while the IG forces on the ground are pretty much almost wiped out. And I don't want them to have such a good death. I swear, I will break them before.

Now I just need to find what kind of mission they could accomplish to "prove" their loyalty. Something vital doesn't sound to be an option. But something meaningless wouldn't be really interesting. What do you think Veeky Forums?

>Destroy a hammerhead
>under potential treason suspicion
Wait isn't a hammerhead a Tau vehicle? Why would they be anything other than heroes?

Precisely. Divided we stand, united we fall.

Because you don't destroy a Hammerhead in duel with a Leman Russ that is little more than a rolling piece of junk. Especially when the Hammerhead have terrain advantage.
Long story short, they can't really prove their identities because of jammed communications and a semi-orbital deployment that went to hell almost instantly. And Tau forces on the planet are using native Gue'La.
The Commissar doesn't think Tau would sacrifice one of their precious Hammerhead just to infiltrate spies. Which is exactly why he is suspicious.

They are heroes. If they weren't they would already have been shot.
(And I know the logic is faulty. But the Commissar don't.)

Given their statements, I don't think so, though that could just be clever PR.

I have a dream of running it as the imprisoned C'tan Tsara'noga, the Outsider, and that it's actually responding to psyker outbursts and warp bursts, not causing them. And that there are psychic-engines like the one from Faith and Fire throughout various planets, hidden away, and the campaign would be about discovering and deciding what to do with them, including potentially activating the network that could potentially cause the entire Calixis Sector to awaken psychic powers.

Source? That's kind of what I'm looking for.

We see in Haarlock's Legacy #3 that Komus, The Tyrant Star actually manifests something in the distant future if Haarlock is allowed to return, and it mutates people and creates "Twilight Stalkers." It's sign is a 3-toed claw facing down, as described in the Core Rulebook.

Would this be something that the Outsider could do, or another of the C'Tan? Especially since it seems to make humans worship it, rather than exterminating them, and can darken stars.

Ask a Crusader who discovered the secret of the Tyrant Star and killed Haarlock anything.

This was my GM

When we decided to disguise ourselves as Sororitas to infiltrate a covent and try to talk in private with the Canoness.
This went as well as you'd expect.

It's arguably whatever you want it to be, like, it's intentionally never EXPLICITLY stated.

I snickered

I mean, I can see how it could be a C'tan, I just feel like the darkness theme means it wouldn't be an Outsider.

how big is his dick

No clue, didn't check.

In DH2e, would you rate the Assassin's role bonus or the Crusader's role bonus higher?

Yes.

Are you regularly rolling vs Fear? How important is getting Finesse by Role for you? Do you use firearms more often/exclusively?

>Yes.
Uh...
>Are you regularly rolling vs Fear?
Fairly yes, at least when shit matters, but then
>Jaded
>Finesse importance
I can manage.
>Firearms
I am going full 50cuffs, mate.

And what do you do when a enemy is across a wide gap or is shooting down from a window?

I am speccing in fisticuffs, that doesn't mean I won't have a gun, Emperor wept, user, I'm not STUPID, I just have my niche.

>Uh...
If that's where I lost you, you need to put some effort in.

>Stuff
So when you scrape down to the bottom of the barrel, it's just not that big a diff for you.

Fuckin ... pick the one that gives you better xp costs for the shit you want to buy, mate. You haven't said what that is, so you may have to sit down and think about it.

That better include a power fist or other melee weapon.

>You haven't said what that is
Because it actually doesn't matter, user, and that wasn't the question at all.
You have made the mistake of ignoring my question and giving an answer that wasn't asked for. So please stop ignoring the question, and kindly keep other advice until it's been answered.
Eh, somewhere. I have a lot of options open, actually.

It's not ignoring the question. It's digging for a personalised answer. If you hadn't been so vague, you would have a clearer reply. So kindly keep your shit stowed, and if you don't like the result you achieved, remind yourself that no one else cares more than you do.

How does it feel to know what you did doesn't matter because everyone has their own feeling on what the tyrant star is, so your story will always feel wrong to everyone but you?

Not so bad. The purpose of the Tyrant Star is to have an open ended plot hook for DMs to use, so having stories be different is a given.

Beyond that, Ross was pretty clear that it was his ending to the storyline, and that the other devs had their own versions.

Leave it to 40k to have a plot hook that manages to make the players feel insignificant in real life too.

For some reason, one player understood the importance of not revealing that the PCs are part of the Inquisition, but would regularly approach NPCs with "hey I'm an Arbitrator". Had to explain to him why bad things kept happening to the group sometimes.

First time we played Dark Heresy 1e, two of our party members thought it'd get shit done to run around saying 'We're agents of the Inquisition!' whenever an obstacle came up. Result was us never inviting them to another game of DH after this constant dick waving of non-existent authority nearly got us TPK'd.

And what was his version of it?

Why would you rp a guardsman from a regiment that you have no idea about? Its like roleplaying a techpriest and not knowing shit about admech lore.

Just reroll to a non brand name guardsman or a cadian otherwise you are going to play this off as a compete hack.

You didn't actually read his post, did you?

Tyrant Star was a Dolmen Gate being powered by energies from the Screaming Vortex, which Haarlock was using in an attempt to reverse time to bring back his wife and child. He'd made some sort of deal with the Necrons to get the technology, and had been spending the last eight centuries trying to find the perfect moment so he could undo everything. The whole doom of worlds thing was entirely incidental, he didn't even realize the star was doing the damage. He also didn't care, of course. It was ultimately the Ordo Chronos who was aware of what he was doing, and the ones attempting to stop him.

bumpan

So, what's the way to build a stealth sniper?

I've tried to emulate vindicare (so far Assassin), but my needle rifle just isn't cutting it. It's just really hard to one shot people wearing armor, even if you get the drop on them with a long-ranged headshot.

Is there a better way to do long-ranged assassinations with a rifle and avoid getting picked up? Or is CQC the best source of quiet DPS?

Were the characters female?

Our Arch-Militant blurted out "but we ARE going to kill him afterwards, right?" on vox while our Captain was negotiating a deal with a secessionist traitor. This wouldn't be so bad, since there wasn't really anyone else on the planet capable of eavesdropping, if he hasn't been in the same room.

The end result of this was a collapsed "palace", a wounded leg, several hundred dead, a Missionary on the bottom of a lake and an arrow through the head of a very upset Explorator.

There's the needle upgrade that makes the needle rifle lose toxic and gain like felling and extra pen. You could also use a straight sniper rifle or long las or even that weird long las that fires outside of the visible light spectrum.

Long las, shot selector, hotshot laspacks.

Whoa whoa, which long las fires outside the spectrum?

Also which splat has that upgrade?

This is kinda exactly what I'm looking for.

>He fell for the 'needle rifles can actually kill anything' meme
laughingeldarsluts.jpg

No, I recognised it sucked, but I needed a weapon that is completely silent both on shot and impact and makes no muzzle flash so it can't provoke a perception.

I was willing to sacrifice some damage for that.

To put a little context on my scenario, my brawler guardsman lost his chainsword a couple of missions ago and command has seen fit to issue me with a chainaxe. Last session command once again gifted me with a new weapon, a powerfist this time.

Is it a good idea to go two weapon weilder with two unwieldy weapons?

Ah. Personally I'd go the other direction, and use a longlas or sniper, and simply make my sniping perch nearly undetectable. Or alternatively, invest in Agility and sprint the fuck outta town after you take a shot.

Bride of the Emperor~!

bump

>starting a BC campaign
>make a Champion, GM is saying it'll be an all CSM campaign
>get really attached to character after a few solo sessions
>other players come in and make characters
>Psyker
>Renegade

Problem?

1 CSM, 2 Humans.

Yes ...

Have you ever played BC?

Welcome to balance nightmare.

I think some people can't play with differing 'power levels' in games, despite the fact that CSM's are useless beyond useless outside of combat.

Should I make a thread where I construct the Warhamme40k universe based only on 8 years of second-hand exposure via Veeky Forums?

Dark Heresy Ascension or Inquisitors Handbook, I forget which.

Half the Imperium would be orks with paper bags on their heads.

I found it, it was Rogue Trader - Hostile Acquisitions.

Ah well fuck my memory.

Don't worry about that, just thanks for letting me know about it.

I love playing those kinds of Rogue Traders.

I'm not a big supporter of GMs "balancing" play for players that don't listen. It's CSM difficulty, you chose human, now let's go bitches.

>You'll play the way I want because I'm the GM
You sound pretty fucking fun.

Not him, but fuck your speshul snowflake. Learn how to play with others. Learn how to play a game in its intended spirit. Learn that not every fucking thing has to revolve around you.

And you sound like an exasperating example of snowflakery and contrary tendencies.

If hypothetically you joined a game about a CSM warband, knowing it's 100% expected to play a CSM, then decided you have to be something unique and different ... well, you claimed you wanted in on this game, and you made that choice. I'm going to assume you can think, reason, and act with the maturity of an adult until you prove otherwise.

you play the way you want to, but accept the consequences of being a meatbag in a monster truck rally

As the CSM player, I'm all for the other guys getting smacked up for being stupid and stubborn, but as the only CSM I can already feel like I'm about to be the monster truck at a go cart rally because 2 players vs 1. Luckily I don't think anyone will blame me because I did make this fucking character first, but I can smell the balance tears already.

That's unfortunate. I ran five sessions of a mixed BC campaign and didn't have any problems. I made extensive use of the horde rules for combat and was able to play up the importance of the human characters by tying them in heavily to the particular world that the players were involved in. The marine characters had much more esoteric understanding and were obviously physically more impressive, but no player felt like they were being underplayed.

The campaign consisted of trying to organize a freshly rebelled Feudal/Imperial-level planet into a fighting force that would've been able to push back the Imperial retribution fleet that was coming to retake the planet in six months.

I know I definitely had a issue when I played. Our Traitor Guard was next to useless compared to my psyker, and the GM worked to let him develop a squad to somewhat compensate.

Even then it didn't really work. I think CSM have a good spot, if anything, baseline human guards have an issue, especially with CSM or good psykers in the party.

Our group consisted of the following:

A Forsaken of the Doom Legion
An Apostate who was local to the world
A Warpsmith
and a Xurant Frost Father that was refluffed to fit the world.

No real problems that I could think of off the top of my head. Every player felt like they contributed pretty well.

>people that haven't played BC
The problem isn't that CSMs are too good in combat, the problem is they're completely useless at everything else. CSM players will literally sit at the table fucking around on their phones until the Apostle needs them to make an example of someone or the party gets attacked.

That depends entirely on the GM. A full CSM party is all combat, all the time. A mixed party is the CSM sitting around and then absolutely demolishing any type of combat encounter when it happens.