/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Druid UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/druid-circles-and-wild-shape
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's clerics.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread As a GM, have you ever made an on-the-spot ruling that you quickly came to regret? How did you handle it?

Other urls found in this thread:

www(dot)strawpoll.me/11792887
youtube.com/watch?v=7k1hwlsmEX8
youtube.com/watch?v=UcAefLBUx8U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for ghosts are fucking awesome

second for ghosts are awesome fucking

Third for fae are fucking awesome.

I once was asked to rule how high the atmosphere extended.

I regretted saying five miles, but permitted the players to kill the kraken by exposurto vacuum.

You know what, with that wording I'd say that's acceptable.

Sixth for familiars are fucking awful.

Have you ever found a rule in the PHB that's always been there, but your party has never applied?

You take that back, my imp is help action ful as fuck.

Is this a meme?

>Remember, have fun!

So, with that done and finished. This is the final product with a bit of fluff added onto it.

Gale Blade
Cantrip Evocation(Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M(A weapon)
Duration: Instantaneous

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, the target takes lightning damage equal to your spellcasting modifier and a powerful tornado encircles your target. You can move to any empty square adjacent to the target, if no other creatures are near you or the target, you may instead move 5 feet away from the target without provoking opportunity attacks.

This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 lightning damage to the target. The damage roll increases by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.

Mind flayers are so damned cool I wish there were more ceremorphised monsters.

Most lame version yet.

Sweet fucking christ what

what? are you just saying that as an excuse to post your anime garbage

What's lame about it? Changing it from teleporting to riding the winds of a tornado?

I kind of liked the previous one where it was essentially forced movement and couldn't be used to disengage unless you were surrounded. This just seems like a more convoluted version of shocking grasp.

I like this a lot desu

Making it a positioning spell with no value for repositioning, or in the alternate, a less reliable shocking grasp. Go back to avoiding opportunity attacks from creatures other than the target, the anons who criticized it have no clue about balance.

Teleport was honestly fine.

>less reliable shocking grasp

With much more damage since it's on top of the weapon you attack with

No. No it wasn't.

Yes, yes it was.

Personally my question is: Do we actually need more gish cantrips?

Are GFB and BB not enough?

Which just makes it lame. X with less utility and more damage isn't a very fun spell.

The version where you can dance around someone and possibly get out of the reach of other enemies was fine. It was better and worse than shocking grasp in some ways. I could easily see using the two in tandem on a lightning focused character.

This...there's no reason to really use shocking grasp if you have a weapon

I was thinking of making an goblin Arcana Cleric gish.

I'd take the two attack check SCAG cantrips with a dex based build , using the bonus action to weave in and out of combat, probably choosing the Urchin background to get the roguish skill proficiencies.

I know it's not optimal and doomed to have a bit of jack of all trades syndrome but I think it'll fit a niche well in our party.

Any thoughts?

Yes it was. As long as it doesn't scale it's literally shocking grasp but less reliable..

How'd the Goblin become an Arcana Cleric?

I would prefer more of different damage types, but that's just because I love Dagger Dragon sorcerers.

>Personally my question is: Do we actually need more gish cantrips?

Personally I think we need one for more of the elements, at the very least poison, acid, and necrotic.

But that won't be a popular answer.

How the fuck do I encourage my players to engage in role playing with each other? They roleplay with me (as in with NPCs) just fine, in character and all, but when it comes to interactions with other party members it barely happens at all, and when it does it's usually in third-person descriptions.

It needs to be less reliable if it includes the damage of a weapon attack with it. Do you understand anything about balance? If it was as reliable as Shocking Grasp there would be no reason to use Shocking Grasp ever.

I mean, personally while I liked the previous iteration too I understand why some people had problems with it. From a mechanics stand point anyway, obviously if people like the previous version they should just use that(if they want to use it at all).

The Thundercrash user who originally came up with the idea should get praise, it's what I based it off of.

Since so many people are arguing over what was or wasn't good/balanced, I've decided to make a strawpoll.

www(dot)strawpoll.me/11792887

Yes. We need more spells generally, weeaboo fightan magic, martial rituals (meditations iirc?) more reactions, more team combos, and monsters redone with all this in mind.

DM's personal setting, Goblins aren't all unredeemable savages.

A tribe of Goblins gives a newborn Goblin in yearly tribute to an Elven settlement. The Elves, a la mamlukes in Egypt, use the children given in tribute as war clerics. My character is one of those martial clerics.

Sounds like your players aren't super comfortable with eachother?

are you guys friends or some dudes who meet up to play D&D?

you should just play 4e or 3.pf

Why aren't there more DMs that allow tweaking spells for flavor?

For the same reason we have someone freaking out about having a 5ft teleport on a cantrip in this thread.

Fair enough. I've saved the version I preferred personally, though without the extra 5 foot step. I think the whirlwind disengage while surrounded and the added utility for flanking make it nice enough combined with the damage.

>Personally I think we need one for more of the elements, at the very least poison, acid, and necrotic.

alright here try this, took me a while and I ran seventeen different sessions to playtest it let me know what you think

>Elemental Blade

Evocation cantrip
Components: V, M (a weapon)

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and your choice of poison, acid, or necrotic leaps from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes poison, acid, or necrotic damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell's damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 poison, acid, or necrotic damage to the target, and the poison, acid, or necrotic damage to the second creature increases to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.

This is 5e, not 4e or pathfinder.
I'm not even sure 4e had teleportation as at-will until the later levels, but I don't know much of 4e.

It's literally almost the same except more appropriate for 5e.

Literally a reskinned greenflame blade, doesn't represent the element being used in it like Ray of Frost does for frost (a slow), Greenflame does for fire (spreading damage) etc.

Maybe if you combined Chill Touch and Greenflame Blade for necrotic.

I think someone posted a version of a necrotic cantrip they were fiddling with, but I forget what it was.

>Literally a reskinned greenflame blade

yes that was the fucking joke

>It needs to be less reliable if it includes the damage of a weapon attack with it

Yes. I am not disputing that.

It being a less reliable shocking grasp with weapon damage and a teleport is the goal.

>Browse through Tome of Beasts for some good deserty monsters
>Accursed Defiler
>Edimmu
>Gray Thirster
>Hagbui
>Sand Silhouette

Well, that's the 'sandy undead' niche well and truly covered, jesus. Not to mention the Mirager, Oozasis, Vesiculosa and Sand Hag if you ever want your party to become terrified of oases.

I know, it just wasn't funny, so I'm staying on topic instead.

Given Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade (and Swordburst and Lightning Lure) are all 4e Swordmage at-wills, you could always look at the other powers for ideas. I imagine higher level powers would have to work like Smite spells do.

This is where I've gone so far. I've worked on an Acid-burst blade conversion as a first level spell, but currently my players aren't playing gishes so I've had no need to develop it further.

Here's my cantrip.

Fae pull
V, s, m, a single iron coin worth 1 sp, which the spell consumes.
1 action
A small bribe, and Fae hands pull a creature through the hedge maze which surrounds all where and when. That creature briefly disappears to all eyes except those which can track things through higher dimensions and reappears in an unoccupied space five feet away. This movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks from non-Fae creatures.

Feel free to ignore the fluff, in a sucker for it. The material component is again mostly fluffy, and balance wise could probably be disregarded.

Because there is a very vocal online community that refuses to acknowledge that five eee is meant to be homebrewed. This community poisons the well for DMs looking for advice online.

Is there a .pdf spell list with the updated spells from SCAG and EE?

it wasn't meant to be funny. The real joke is you guys feeling some need to create more cantrips because ??? when you can just change existing ones.

Make a BB but for cold damage, instead of being sheathed in lightning the target gets encased in frost that cuts them if they move through it

make a lightning lure that is you throwing a tendril of necrotic energy at the foe and pulling them in

There is no need to create new shitty homebrew cantrips. Reskin and refluff.

Hold the presses.
This man's onto something.

Well, based on other Swordmage at wills

Frigid Blade is similar to Ray of frost, but scales with a secondary mod for 5 feet decreases if they start their turn next to you, meaning it starts off as a slow and turns into immobilizing.

Frostwind blade is a slightly longer range Greenflame blade

And arcane lance, which is a d8 of thunder damage but can be used on a charge, basically adding a thunder spear to the tip of your sword for reach

>because ???

Nothing wrong with more content.

>Make a BB but for cold damage, instead of being sheathed in lightning the target gets encased in frost that cuts them if they move through it

I think a cantrip that slows after a melee would better represent the element of frost, but there's certainly nothing wrong with building off a baseline of existing spells when homebrewing.

>There is no need to create new shitty homebrew cantrips. Reskin and refluff.

There's no 'need' to play tabletop games. What there is is desire. When reskinning does not function, we homebrew.

ALRIGHT EVERYONE, I HAVE AN IDEA

How about instead of arguing about teleporting/disengaging/whatever the fuck, just give it this effect:

On a hit, you can move to any empty square adjacent to the target. Any opportunity attacks you provoke with this movement are made with disadvantage.

There. It gets rid of all the situational shit and, in my opinion, is a fair compromise between the teleport-disengage and no disengage. It also fits thematically with being swept around by a gust of wind.

Can we stop shitposting now?

"Why does this game even have all of these spells and attacking options, why can't I just have a melee and ranged basic attack and then I can refluff everything to be it?"
"I don't need these races or classes either, just let me refluff 'thing who does things' " ALT "Why make a new race? Just take dwarf and refluff it"

"why do I even have mechanics, I can just refluff my freeform"

Are you this lonely.

How's this?

Arcane Lance
Evocation cantrip
Range: 10 feet
Components: V, M (a weapon)
Duration: 1 round
As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails. When making this attack, you can increase the range of the weapon by 5 feet.
On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and you form a gray lance of sonic energy around your weapon.
The concussive force of its strike briefly slows your foe. Its movement speed is reduced by 10 feet until the start of your next turn. In addition, if you moved at least 20 feet straight toward the target before hitting them, they take an additional 1d8 thunder damage. This damage increases by 1d8 at 5th, 11th and 17th level.

We met over roll20 so we're not exactly close friends, but most of us have been playing together for about a year, at this point. I think it may be the case that I'm the only one who doesn't mind to sound silly making voices, etc. I want to find ways to help them be more comfortable with roleplaying.

As long as it doesn't involve at-will teleporting for level 0 elves / level 1 characters / whatever, whoever can learn cantrips, I'm happy.

>I'm not even sure 4e had teleportation as at-will until the later levels
A few classes technically had at-will teleportation, though it typically had a trigger instead of being 'whenever.'

Well that sucks.

Actually I think you're talking about my cantrip, Blood-Thirsting Blade. I'm the same user who has posted Gale Blade as well, since I like my gish cantrips. Reposting, though it hasn't been playtested yet and is probably broken.

Blood-Thirsting Blade
Cantrip Evocation(Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock)
Components: V, M(A weapon)

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, and begins to bleed until the end of your next turn. If the target willingly attacks before then, it immediately takes 1d6 necrotic damage.

This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 necrotic damage to the target, and the damage the target takes for attacking increases to 2d6. The damage rolls increase by 1d8 and 1d6 at 11th level and 17th level.

I am actually okay with this, it is a decent compromise.

What's good nemesis for a sixth level party?

Sentient Rust Monster with a grudge.

bandit lord that's actually a dragon in disguise

>Cantrip Necromancy
ftfy

>There are people who genuinely believe this
>They are responsible for champion fighters

Is there anything wrong with giving the DM hints about what you'd like your character to get in the future? I was playing in a game today and my character hit up an enchanter's shop to get a pricing quote on a battleaxe that would deal 1d4/1d6 extra fire damage.
Is this too much to ask? I haven't delved too much into the DM's Guide, and he's told me that it would cost 30k gold, which I was fine with since it gives me monetary goals, but I'm worried that that kind of thing goes against 5e.

Any advice?

A dream-invading psychic fetus

fucking ghosts is awesome.

There's nothing too much wrong with even asking your DM out of character in between sessions
what you've done should be fine as some less experienced DMs have a hard time working out what treasure they should reward
There's nothing wrong with having a wishlist, just as long as it's not too long

That bit of extra fire damage really shouldn't cost that much, depending on what else it does. Granted, just buying magic items isn't how 5e works, but it depends on your DM.

Instead of paying money, perhaps offer the enchanters that you can go fetch some of the rare reagents that they might need for such a weapon. Essentially, go on a quest and get that as a reward.

Really, you might just be better off talking to the DM about how you feel like a fire axe would be cool to have.

Depends on your GM, honestly.

If a player of mine did that, I'd use it as an excuse for a quest to find the items needed in its construction.
I wouldn't put a price on it, but that's just my own preference. If you're in a fairly high-magic setting or one where magic is part of the economy, like Eberron, then magic shops make more sense.

Bread user here,
My dm's death hasn't set in yet
I'm going to be a fucking mess at his funeral in a week
>Last thread
Thanks for the condolences user
His funeral is upstate ny
So for starting out dm keep it simple, I'll start the party at level 1 or 2.
He had heart problems since birth.
He just finished up beta blockers and his pacemaker was replaced
Heart just gave out
His fucking mom found him in his room dead for a day
I was in the room next to his
Never knew
How the fuck do you deal with this shit
Would he still be alive if I found him early?

honestly? because often players are "tweaking" to get an advantage.

Had a guy in a game we are playing make a pyromancer, asked if he could "tweak" X Spell to do fire damage instead of (element), then took the feat so his fire damage bypasses resistances. That's why DM's dont like tweaking spells

Now if you want to tweak a spell in terms of aesthetics, i haven't ever heard of anyone not allowing that. But mechanical tweaks are power gaming shenanigans at least 70% of the time.

Is there a settings rulebook yet?

>Would he still be alive if I found him early?
No, not if his heart stopped working. There wasn't a thing anybody could do here.

All that means was that he was being thematic as a pyromancer. If it was someone tweaking all the fire spells to be cold because cold was a better element, I could see it, but making every spell you have one element is more likely to hurt than help in the long run.

Never do this to yourself. His death was not your fault in any way. Do not feel guilty, it will do you no good.

>but making every spell you have one element is more likely to hurt than help in the long run.
unless of course you took a feat that let you bypass resistance of that element, which he did. And then made sure he had Eldritch Blast to cover the fire-immunes.

>I looked it up
youtube.com/watch?v=7k1hwlsmEX8
NO
WHY DID I DO THAT
NO NO NO NO

Honestly the only thing I think that is needed is something special for Eldritch Knights. Arcane Tricksters can just use GFB and BB since it doesn't conflict with sneak attack, plus the spellcasting they get works amazingly with the rogue base, with the upgraded mage hand, the "minor wish" spells (prestidigitation and minor illusion), friends, and find familiar, all of which don't even use up spell slots (you aren't casting find familiar more than once). Eldritch Knights basically require you to take Gish cantrips, so you don't get any of the funs ones that have non-combat uses, as well as the fact that abjuration and evocation is almost entirely combat spells, and you only ever use two of them, shield and absorb elements, because they use a reaction. Weapon Bond is nowhere near as useful as Mage Hand Legerdemain, and is pretty much useless. The only real useful thing they get is war magic, which is basically just GFB/BB and attack, which is bad compared to just attacking twice, and is useless once you hit level 11, and Improved War Magic is useless by the time you get it.

Since spellcasting mostly conflicts with your attacking, you'd assume the level 3 feature gives you some way to use it, but weapon bond is fucking useless. When every other fighter class gets a fluff feature at level 7, you get a combat feature which is useless at this point, far past when it actually would have been useful when you first got access to spells. Eldritch Strike is useless because you need to attack before casting a spell, which doesn't work with war magic, as you can't use your bonus action on attacking unless you've casted a spell, so its useless. Arcane Charge is meh, and Improved Arcane Strike is useless at that point, and even then why on Earth would you waste a spell slot on an attack spell, and even then there isn't any good options to choose from.

I want EKs to be good so bad, but they don't have any synergy whatsoever with the Fighter base class.

youtube.com/watch?v=UcAefLBUx8U
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>tfw I know a guy who ran a game with the author while he was playtesting it
Not only in the subject matter cringe as fuck, he's also just a plain bad author, game designer, and DM. Also he didn't even offer his playtesters free copies of his shitty rules or literally anything at all.

Yeah, Eldritch Knights don't really have a good focus. It's hard to make something similar to a Swordmage from 4e, for example, since they can't use their spells to mitigate damage as well as just by killing things.

I really just want to give them the Abjuration Wizard's Arcane Ward or something so they can actually use their abjuration spells to defend allies instead.

If you're sword and board, GFB/BB is never truly redundant except perhaps on level 5 or 6 or if your DM is giving you some really powerful magic weapons.

EK is perfectly fine for a sword-board fighter. Yes, it does tend to boild own to 'I cast shield and absorb elements a lot'. It also tends to do a lot less than GWM, but eh. You get to be tanky and stuff.

Odd combinations such as multiclassing after level 7 to pick up weird combos like eldritch blasts + shillelagh attacks for a charisma-based fighter are possible, though.

AT does have a slight issue with BB/GFB in that they can't use two-weapon-fighting with it and that if they take a rapier, they're left with a hand doing nothing they'd love to use a shield for. Good if they multiclass, I guess, but I digress.
GFB/BB is still pretty solid for them.

EKs are still better than pure fighter champions, at least.

Yeah, I think I'll bring that up to him next time.
It's not uncommon for a campaign to go on an adventure to get someone in the party something cool, right?

What if you made the eldritch knights have access to all schools of magic.

Possibly, but this line of thinking leads to bad conclusions. It's also a natural line of thinking, so don't feel bad for thinking it.

If you're going to feel guilty for not finding him, you're setting yourself up for a lot of guilt in the future. You can't maintain a friendship with constant contact and interaction. People need time away from each other. So don't blame yourself that your time away from your friend happened to coincide with his time of death.

Probably not. That's my personal preference. If the party wants to get specific magic items, they can try and go on a quest for those items. Treasure and experience might be a bit lower, since it's more of a side quest, but it'll have whatever they're after, and maybe a bit of other stuff too. Like if the party needs to kill a fire elemental for its magical ashes, they might fight a frost staff that was keeping it sealed.

They technically already do, just at very limited points. It would probably help them out a bit with utility, but it still doesn't solve their features not meshing together very well.

So, since everyone is shitting on Eldritch Knights rn, might as well ask. I'm currently in a 5E game, it's my first time playing DnD,and I made an Eldritch Knight because it sounded cool. The class is good enough to not be completely useless in a group of novices,right?

If it matters my idea was to specialize in thrown weapons, using Weapon Bond to retrieve them.

You auto get your dex bonus to attack rolls with firearms without the aim action.

Is this a symptom of the system or the class not meshing well?

The class is fine balance wise. It's just boring to play.

I would say that it's more a matter of the class not knowing what it wants to be doing.

It'll be fine. Even if you waste all of your spells, you're still a Fighter with some extra cantrips and lots of attacks. It's hard to be useless.

Not sure how great thrown weapons will work out, but just remember the biggest advantage of thrown weapons compared to bows is that they can still be used in melee.

How do you remember/remind yourself what spells do?

Thanks man. How might it improved to be more synergistic?

And how does the EK compare to the bladesinger?