Let's make a Dark Fantasy setting, Veeky Forums!

Warhammer does this brilliantly, but I'd like to see how much better Veeky Forums can pull it off. That said, let's move on to the thread. I do not intend to bait, if you want to bitch about Games Workshop, post a thread of your own. Don't drown the setting in Edginess, you can't have the dark without light, you can't have good without evil, and all that. With that said, onto the Thread.

> Once every few thousand years, the Ashwalker awakens. It is a being of total and primal heat, fire, and destruction, and it wishes to burn all things for the sake of devastation. It is a godlike Fire Elemental that wields enough power to obliterate entire metropolises in mere minutes, and the efforts of the most powerful Arch Mages are nothing more than sand castles before a tsunami's wrath. The Ashwalker, devastating as it is, is only able to enter the material plane when the stars align once, or rarely, twice every dozen millennia. After roughly a week of apocalyptic ruination the stars move out of alignment, and it is forced to leave, as reality can no longer sustain its presence.

> None know where the Ashwalker goes when it leaves and none wish to know, though many do speculate on its origins and home dimension. It is revered by many insane pyromaniacal cults as a Deity of pure destruction, and they seek to destroy civilization, order, and morality in its name. The most fanatical of these cultists are blessed with fiery power capable of melting the strongest walls like butter, and cutting the stoutest armor as if it were a blade through wet paper. The Ashwalker's return is long overdue, its last fiery cleansing was fifteen thousand years ago, any day now it shall return. Its followers are becoming increasingly zealous and destructive by the hour.

>Warhammer does this brilliantly

Pre-ET, it did.

> eating raw flesh of the immortal races (elves and their corrupt versions such as trolls and goblins) significantly prolongs lifes of the mortal races

Eleven females are considered to be a delicacy in more ways than one.

The dead aren't buried/burned/disposed of in setting for health or spiritual reasons, but because they won't stop talking.

If you bury them face up, they scream incessantly.

the arch mages have built a fortress in the middle of vast lake fjord, inside they have library that documents the arrival of the ashwalker 15k years ago

>6000 year cycle
>still using swords
i don't think you realize how long 1000 years is, user

> The filthy gnomes have infiltrated the highest echelons of society, and conspire to keep technology at a medieval level, to ensure that they retain their monopoly on runic magitech.

the gnomes hide many secrets

born out of the firey destruction brought by the ashwalker were magical stones, each granting power to its possessor, but each imbued with the demonic spirit of their creator

The cleansing serves similar function to a forest fire, rejuvenating the world and letting new races sprang forth from the ashes. It being held at bay by misguided order-affiliated gods leads the world growing increasingly physically and spiritually stale.

These magical stones are incredibly rare, but near perfect for any kind of enchanting whatsoever. The demonic power inherent in them is subtle, and slowly drives their owners into a violent psychosis. Which is one reason extremely powerful Wizards have a stereotype of being power hungry, amoral madmen.

The Ashwalker cults know of the magical stone's true nature, and they seek to gather all of the stones to perform an unholy ritual will bind the Ashwalker to this reality, meaning his cleansing will last centuries, rather than days. If the cults were successful in their efforts, the Ashwalker would destroy All Things and render eternal oblivion on the word.

Over the millenia, the number of potent magical stones has declined, there are only a few dozen today, all are in the possession of the Ashwalker cults, one of the handful of nigh-omnipotent Wizard Lords, or are lost, scattered across the world. The Ashwalker cults are becoming increasingly desperate to obtain the stones, for their Lord shall soon pierce the veil, and the ritual of binding must be done before the Ashwalker enters reality.

i can get behind this

How about... twelve females?

In this setting, Necromancers are easily humored, kindhearted, gregarious and all around decent, jolly good fellows you wouldn't mind having a drink with, if you can look past their unholy magic and complete disregard for the death and suffering of others, that is.

> ???

The Stars determine far more than the arrival and departure of the Ashwalker. Natural and unnatural laws wax and wane as they drift and dance slowly across the cosmos.

Well, pre AoS

Far to the east lies the dreaded Spiderlands, home of the dreaded Arachnoids and their equally dreaded Spiderite allies.

Why would this thing have a known name if it destroys civilization every few thousand years? Fifteen thousand years is a long-ass fuckin' time, humans were in the middle of the Mesolithic era using freaking stone tools fifteen thousand years ago.

> The Prophets of the Gods/The Ashwalker itself.

So in all the cultures in the entire world it's called the Ashwalker? Either every culture in the world sat down together and hashed out one name or that's its actual name.

Either way, you named the big monstrous world-ending apocalyptic ubergod 'Nounothernoun'. This is up there with Bloodcrusher or Deathbringer. It's not a good fantasy name, it's a shitty heavy metal band.

Shocking swerve, the populace of the setting are actually incredible tiny and the world is really the stage of a music venue. Ashwalker is the name of the heavy metal band, known for it's pyrotechnic stage show that includes the lead singer wearing a flaming suit, that customarily begins their tours at the venue. Known for their regular album releases, Ashwalker's latest effort has been delayed due to the ongoing health issues of their lead guitarist.

>'And lo' did the Ashwalker smash down his axe and the vast Stones of Destruction loosed their howling wails like overlapping thunder and shattered the stone towers of ancient Staegright. And the pyromaniacs threw back and forth their painted faces and howled with ecstacy as their long hair whipped back and forth, raising unto the burning heavens the clenched fist and horn-fingers of their destruction-lusting god. Thus did the last of the western cities fall.'

B-But what would they say?

OP here.

> The Ashwalker just rolls off of the tongue easily, but the name isn't universal, it has many names, The Ashwalker is just the most commonly used, as it's the word for it in the common tongue.

> This is hilarious.

I still stand by my belief that this is a stupid name and since the fire ubergod is central to the entire setting taints the setting itself and makes it bad.

Well, what would you suggest?

Sootstrider.

Lifeweb is a great handcrafted Dark Fantasy setting

>Human blood is delicious and addictive to animals. Any animal which tastes human blood continues to crave it for the rest of its natural life. Those creatures which are successful in acquiring a steady supply begin to change and mutate. Even now, there are tales of fifteen foot long earthworms which burrow into fresh graves, leaving a dried husk where a body once was.

That it won't stop stinging.

The demons invaded and won. The world has become a volcanic hellscape and a stage for endless turf wars between rival demonic factions.

The only thing of the old world left, as far as anyone knows, is a single human state enclosed in a 100km bubble of protective magic. Non-humans and spellcasters are blamed for the invasion and ruthlessly persecuted, unsanctioned mages become fuel for the barrier while non-humans hide in the foothills at the edge of the barrier.

PCs start out as witch-hunters looking for mages and demonic infiltrators.

No it isn't and you're a pedophile.

So because it is too dark for you, that means it is a bad setting?

It's a bad setting because you and everyone else who likes it just uses it as a magical realm for their pedophile fantasies and you tell people they just don't understand your dark and mature RP when they call you on it.

>Lifeweb

I have no idea what that is, but a quick look tells me that it probably suffers from the HELLMOO problem where people CAN fuck kids and therefore it must be a game about that.

I played hellmoo a bunch back in the day and I can tell you that, despite child fucking being a possible action, I spent my days scaving parts to make airplanes. I assume Lifeweb is much the same.

If you played it instead of listened to memes about it, you would know that when somebody rapes anybody in that game what happens. They get hunted down by a lynch mob, have their fingers broken, get flayed alive, have their cock cut off and shoved up their ass, and their corpse is mutilated before being tossed into a piss pit.

Pseudo-Gnostic fantasy:

The universe and all the immortal souls dwellin gin it are an emanation of the true G. God created a servant, Yaldabaoth, to shape creation and act as its steward. Yaldabaoth didn't want to be a steward, he wanted to rule. He betrayed and killed God, trapped the souls in flesh, and turned Creation into a venue for his ego-masturbation. His worshipers believe that he protects them from evil, and he technically does, but he's also responsible for evil, which he actively creates so people will worship him.

He needs their worship but at the same time he's terrified that humans will learn the truth and find a way to overthrow him. His Archons walk the earth in mortal bodies confounding human knowledge and leading them astray, and when Yaldabaoth suspects humans are actually getting close to learning something then the shit really hits the fan for them.

The PCs find out the truth and rebel against Yaldabaoth to save mankind from his nightmare, but God is dead and there's nothing to wake up to, because this is Dark Fantasy.

Alternatively, they succeed in their quest, mankind is freed and everyone lives happily forever after in God's Perfect Creation, which of course is just another layer of Yaldabaoth's net. God is still dead, remember.

It's not.

But in any case trying to draw a distinction between "it's about fucking children" and "it just allows you to fuck children" is pretty fucking retarded. How the fuck does that, as even a non-coded option, occur to someone?

Since when was Warhammer Fantasy considered Grimderp?

Life has the option to fuck children, but I dare say that no one thinks thats the entire point of life.

>Eleven females are considered to be a delicacy in more ways than one.

>twelve females

Is it really that hard?

Better question: since when was Veeky Forums considered good at homebrew?