Thousand Sons Thread

Sup Veeky Forums

GW's new Thousand Sons releases came at the perfect time for me. Just a couple weeks ago I started reading their lore and find them cool as shit.

A few questions, though:

1) The Rubric of Ahriman turned most of the legion into armor-bound dust, correct? Can these marines remove their helms or take gashes in their armor? Will their souls escape if they do?

2) I remember reading Battle of the Fang a long time ago, and if I recall correctly, the Rubrics that attacked the Fang could fire bolters without suffering recoil and moved "in slow motion," even though they didn't... kind of.

Do the Rubrics *actually* move slowly/ sluggishly? Are they hindered in close combat from the curse? Or can they keep up with say a Space Wolf or Blood Angel?

Lastly, my mate told me TS bolters fire AP3 shots on the tabletop. That's pretty cool, but what gives them that ability?

Other than those questions to start us off, general Thousand Sons thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/89557-how-do-thousand-sons-recruit-new-members.html
reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/5f0dwa/wrath_of_magnus_story_literall_all_the_spoilers/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1/?

2/?

3/?

4/?

To begin with here's a disclaimer, TS lore is shot to shit with retcons and inconsistencies.

>1) The Rubric of Ahriman turned most of the legion into armor-bound dust, correct?
The Rubric turned all but the most powerful psykers into dust with their soul now inhabiting their armour. This has probelms with the new release however as the Scarab Occult were once the TS's best psykers except now most of them are dust as well. There is no explanation for this.

>2) Do the Rubrics *actually* move slowly/ sluggishly?
As you said yes but no. Because inconsistency. Rubrics have the slow and purposeful rule on the table top to represent this sluggishness, but in the lore they have depending on what the author needs at that point in time. Remember this is only the Rubric marines not the sorcerer lords of the TS.

>Lastly, my mate told me TS bolters fire AP3 shots on the tabletop.
>The weapons of the Thousand Sons are shaped by the craft of artificers and sorcerers alike. When their guns roar, they fire not only explosive bolts that tear flesh, but uncanny energies that can melt even ceramite. In such a fashion is the Long War waged anew.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

I think the new lore says that the Scarab Occult were turned into dust by Magnus himself because they were trying to save him from the daemons.

No thats just a single warband that he does that too. The Scarab Occult were rubric'd at the same time. They also dont have slow and purposeful in their rules so who knows.

Thank you, brother.

So, from what I've been reading about Magnus, did he just essentially get royally fucked? I felt his intentions were well in attempting to warn the Emperor of Horus' betrayal, but from that point forward everything around him just fell to shit. How do you feel about it? Would he have been loyal had the Emperor not lost his cool and sent Leman Russ after him?

Also, does current lore still support that Rubrics need a sorcerer to guide them? And if so, do sorcerers actually just guide them like moths to a flame, or do they actually control them?

5/?

6/?

>"How will we bypass these traitorous filth, Lord Calgar?"
>"Just throw dust on all the vehicles."
>"Brilliant, my liege."

The way I plan on "fixing" the lore is saying that only the sorcerer was a member of the Scarab Occult while all of his lackeys are just non-psykers who happened to be in terminator armor. It's not entirely inline with the new fluff but the new fluff is stupid.

Did anyone here get a copy of Wrath of Magnus yet? Did they get any good formations / rules?

Magnus fall is a tragedy. His strengths that lead him to such great heights during the GC, were also his downfall in the end.

>did he just essentially get royally fucked?
Yes. Magnus was dealing with powers beyond mortal comprehension and payed for it. His dreams and ambitions were turned against him leading to the destruction of Prospero and his fall. This was all orchestrated by Tzeentch himself who personally lead Magnus to this point. You can go into the actions of others that also such as the Emperor, Russ and Mortarion or Horus but in the end Tzeentch was the mastermind behind everything.

>I felt his intentions were well in attempting to warn the Emperor of Horus' betrayal
The road to hell is paved with good intentions is basically THE plot point of Magnus's Fall. If you dont like that trope you probably wont like the TS. Ahriman is exactly the same in this regard. From the Emperor to Magnus to Ahriman, all are paying for attempting to 'save' those around them.

>Would he have been loyal had the Emperor
No, he wouldnt. Magnus could never accept limitations, the thin red line people dont cross was where Magnus started.

He could have been dragged to Terra and payed for his mistakes but in the end he would resent the implication that the Emperors vision is all there is. He knows theres more, hes seen theres more. Perhaps if he could just show the Emperor an example... [suddenly demons]

>does current lore still support that Rubrics need a sorcerer to guide them?
Yes. WoM seems to also show that the better the sorcerer the better the rubric marines act with Ahriman seeming to buff the Scarab Occult up. But thats Ahriman so who knows. They dont really show how they control them exactly btw. They do leave them as guardians so they must be able to act without the sorcerer directly in control otherwise people could just walk past them.

Its pretty fucked till we get more information.

He's a victim but not purely innocent, something to always be wary of is when the voices start telling you EXACTLY what you want to hear. he was told that the warp was a servant to be tamed, and thus never suspected he could be playing with fire, any evidence that showed up he had evidence planted by tzeentch to let him brush it off.

Excellent info, thank you.

That trope doesn't bother me; in hindsight it's probably what attracted me to them in the first place. After reading HH Fulgrim I should have figured that Magnus had already made some seriously questionable decisions before the Heresy, just like his brother.

The skill of the sorcerer affecting the Rubrics under him is a nice compromise between leadership and control.

If you can think of anything, is there anything TS can do better than any other legion? (inb4 "being dust")

>is there anything TS can do better than any other legion?
SPACE MAGIC

Seriously though TS are the best sorcerers and the best seers of humanity. Even before Abaddon got his own personal terribly written Mary Sue tier TS seer he used a lot of TS's to help guide him and his crusades. They are rare but valuable asset to any warband within the eye.

Thousand Sons warbands themselves are powerful groups of sorcerer banding together to gather knowledge and resources to fuck shit up. The Rubricae are powerful resummonable support troops, but most often fights dont even get to that point with cultists and demons doing the heavy lifting. Ahriman is by far the best known/active member as individual legions dont get too much fluff so if you want to get a good idea there books about him form GW and BL.

>in hindsight it's probably what attracted me to them in the first place.
Me too mate. Also I like the Thousand Sons attempting to take scientific approach to the warp. Trying to force logic onto madness interests me and about 70% of the time it works out for them lol. Either way this is all just my opinion. There would certainly be people who disagree with my perspective on all this so take it with a grain of salt. Keep reading and you'll find the stuff that resonates with you.

CRASHING THIS THREAD

>Ahriman is by far the best known/active member as individual legions dont get too much fluff so if you want to get a good idea there books about him form GW and BL.

Who is Kharn?

What's up with Magnus' horn nipples?
Also, he looks like a Wow character to me, am I far off?

He's a Transexual Son

>Who is Kharn?
A dead man.

I was actually just referring to the TS's there actually if it wasnt clear they have very few named characters. Still Ahriman gets around in the fluff more then most chaos characters.

not the other user, but i thought that all the sorcerers that didn't get RUBRIC.com got their powers boosted because they got the latent power from the ones that were turned to dust

Tomb king skulls painted to a ghastly specter glow instead of a helmet, could that work? Then again, the helmets are essentially the identifying factor.

Some sources claim all TS are dust others dont. Some claim all TS are immune to mutation others dont. Some sources claim the remaining TS got a boost in psychic power and knowledge others dont.

The sources clash as is often the case with TS. Most dont mention that fact although several do. So its up to you and what you want to believe.

Is it possible for powerful sorcerer to turn some captive marines into his own rubrics?

Never understood the hate for the nipple horns.

Heres about the only fluff that talks about the Rubric Marines work outside of just the Rubric itself.

>The Rubric Marines are almost impossible to destroy, and only the total destruction of their power armour tombs is enough to release the spirit
trapped inside. With an audible sigh, a cloud of dust escapes and drifts away into nothingness. How, or even if, the Rubric Marines are
reinforced is a secret only the Sorcerers of the Thousand Sons and Tzeentch himself know. It has been theorized that Sorcerers can use spells
of reincarnation to reinstall those spirits freed by the destruction of their armoured forms – rebinding them within new tombs of power armour.
Or perhaps Ahriman himself has had his hand in recreating his infamous spell of old? For Ahriman remains the most powerful of the Thousand
Sons Sorcerers, and has been endlessly active since his banishment. Over the millennia, he has raided more magical knowledge and stolen
more arcana than any – his guarded hoard nearly as sizable as that of Magnus.

So you can take it however you want.

> Also I like the Thousand Sons attempting to take scientific approach to the warp
> Trying to force logic onto madness
Couldn't have said it better. TS motives and lore capture me at the tin-foil hat level.

What are the new TS formations like? I've seen leaked rules for the units and weapons, but none for the formations.

Just looking at the units, they sadly don't seem very good (Rubrics are better than before, but still slow, expensive, and not all that durable, while the new terminators are tough but pillow-fisted and expensive, and as a whole the army has very limited unit choises). However, some formations that let you take a ton of sorcerers and spam psychic powers might still make them really powerful.

Kharn is a guy who's actually fun to be around

Ctesias is a good example of a psyker that can turn a battle in your favour. In the last Ahriman book he summoned doombreed himself

CRASHING MIDGARDIA.

Supposedly they can make more Rubric Marines but the ritual is costly and time consuming so it's more efficient to just repair/re-armor/re-summon the existing rubricae.

>Supposedly they can make more Rubric Marines but the ritual is costly and time consuming
Source?

How does he breathe?

No, really, his helmet is missing usual pipes, grills, and other stuff that usually means 'air intake'.

Also, the pointy bottom end of helmet kind of slots into the collar meaning he can only look forward, never to side or below...

Warp magic

Ah, never mind, I found it again, it's just a theory about how they retain their numbers roughly near 1000 despite taking heavy losses in pretty much every fight

my guess is a grille behind his faceplate that is hidden under his huge collar.

would you mind posting it anyway? Because
>it's just a theory about how they retain their numbers roughly near 1000
Any source that comments on 1000 marines is important.

heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/89557-how-do-thousand-sons-recruit-new-members.html

third page comments on the numbers, the other parts are theories about the rubric and if its repeatable.

Yeah Magnus just rocked up with way more marines then in Battle of the Fang so I really wouldnt take that as a source anymore/ever. Thanks though user.

>Is it possible for powerful sorcerer to turn some captive marines into his own rubrics?

No, the Rubric is very costly and has been cast only twice.

the theory is that they'd cast a vastly underpowered version that isn't being cast on an entire legion but just one guy.

In the fluff, who won when Magnus jumped the home world of Space Wolves? I'm not that updated, but it would be interesting to know if the wolves where saved by GW´s fluff-shield.

I had hoped that Master of Mankind would have addressed the Thousand Sons, like it did the World Eaters, but...nope.

So basically the Emperor traveled with the Thousand Sons, who were undergoing rampant mutation; many of whom were put into stasis.

By the time they reached Magnus the mutations had hit their peak. And the Emperor did shit all to fix the issue.

Like what the fuck

For the first or second time? First time Magnus won because he destroyed the cure for the curse of the wulfen the furries were working on, but the furries say they won because they drove magnus back to the warp. Second time Magnus again, but this time on a much larger scale because he's just jumpstarted the next black crusade, with mortarion's help turned midgardia into a plague planet and indirectly decimated the population of fenris by virtue of being there.

I would not count the first time a loss for Magnus.
He destroyed the possibility to recruit from outside Fenris for the Wulfs.
The resulted in a massive drop in their numbers as time went on.
They were a medium sized legion before (so around 60k marines), now they are a somewhat overstreight chapter (around 2 to 3k) without successors.

>Cult Terminator
Bitchin' name.

> MY ARMOR NIPPLES HAVE ASCENDED TO THEIR FINAL FORM

it's not even their final form bro. he will have ascended when he rips the fang from the earth of fenris and uses it as nipple jewelry

Someone make that in paint already

How does it feel to have a new Rape Storm or Rape Knight? Not even a LoW so you can cheese him into normal CAD?

WoM counts it as a loss.

And furthermore, the new marines created by the method were normal marines. They weren't Woofs. The Woofs saw them as a danger to Russ's legacy so it wasn't really a loss.

Sure, it was fine recruiting only from Fenris. Up until now when Fenris' population was reduced to 10% by the GK and the Inquisition.

Don't pull numbers out of nowhere. The Grey Knights didn't take all the tribes. There are remaining tribes that rebuilt and even put the whole thing behind them like another day on a Death world.

The Woofs survived and so did Fenris and its gods. In time they will emerge stronger than ever, provided that the galaxy survives what Abaddon intends to do.

I'm not pulling numbers out of nowhere, i'm pulling numbers out of here: reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/5f0dwa/wrath_of_magnus_story_literall_all_the_spoilers/

Then you are pulling it from some who is pulling it out of nowhere which means you pulled it out of nowhere.

I read the book last night and no 10% bullshit in it. No commentary about how many were taken by the Grey Knights.

Good. I just wouldn't have felt it a good story otherwise. And it would be so typical GW, that their favourite army/armies/bestsellers gets saved by the fluff-shield.

>Wolves attack prospero, owns the place, despite attacking a home planet of a brother legion.
>Turn this around, wolfs, though they should be outnumbered (seeing as legion vs "somewhat chapter style") beats this back.

would have been horrible!

anyone have scans?

Well i'm gonna guess because it was a Daemon invasion of an entire fucking planet that it's gonna be a lot of people saw the daemons. and those are the ones that get blammed.

for wrath of magnus i mean

Read the fucking book. It's out. Fenris itself stood with the Wolves. The Gods and spirits of Fenris rose against the power of Chaos, the fauna of Fenris (Wolves, Trolls, giants) united to drive back the invaders, and the tribes of Fenris fought like saga heroes against the horror.

Prospero was a weakling world of scholars. Fenris is the legendary realm of gods and heroes.

Yeah, Fenris did stand with the wolves. Then the power of Fenris got eaten by Magnus.

Mordia came out okay.

Yeah but nobody on Mordian said anything to the inquisition, it was settled completely on their own, so the inquisition didn't know there was anyone who needed blamming.

Wrong. This is the problem with morons reading stuff from reddit instead of reading the book. Magnus ate nothing but shit.

The World Spirit of Fenris is alive and victorious. In the aftermath of the book, TS and daemons who were left behind by Magnus hid in the soil and earth of Fenris. Fenris expelled them out from their hiding places so that the Woofs and natural fauna would hunt them down in the open.

What Magnus harvested was the psychic energies of the Midgardia death. This has nothing to do with Fenris. The reddit scum got it wrong as usual.

An Imperial fleet with a band of psykers did a counter spell to close the rift. That has to be on a record something. Not to mention that there are tons of church officials and commissars on the planet who have to report this.

and you don't think that they're just about to get fucked considering they're the only planet left in a system full of daemonic fuckery at the start of a Black Crusade and probably on course for a collision with the toxic remains of midgardia?

Hmm. Weird, usually its policy to blam anyone who sees daemons. Maybe they forgot?

>Magnus tries to kill yiffs
>fails
>Magnus tries to corrupt their planet
>fails
>"A-at least i fucked some irrelevant world and started next crusade guys! J-just as planned!"
>Ahriman got destroyed by literal who

TSons got fucking rekt as usual.

The other planets are dead or abandoned. They are no threat.

>collision with the toxic remains of midgardia?

Again you with the reddit. Staaahtp. The book says in following years that shards of Midgardia fall on the worlds of the system. Other than the fact that these fall areas are shunned by the locals as cursed, they are harmless.

Alright well my book ain't arriving till like tomorrow so i've only got this to go off of so far and it's mostly correct.

Why don't you buy the digital and hardcopy?

Because i'm not made of money and I could buy models instead of a digital copy, user.

Ahriman is always looking forward
Ahriman only ever looks forward.

How even did Ahriman even get bullied into this crap?
Last I heard he was kind of busy.

>buying digital copies
ew

well he managed to succeed at turning one rubricae back into a normal marine and magnus got less pissed and said "hey, that's cool, now we know we can do that, let's go kill Fenris before the Rubricae stop being immortal"

In the Ragnar books they invade another two times.
Once he tries to resurrect the dead TSons on Fenris and fails.
Second time they try to resummon the chapter along with Magnus on some shrine world somewhere and he gets a spear in the eye.

Frankly the whole story of warzone: fenris is such a blatant rip off those books.

>New fluff Guiltrek Guiltiman edgelord.
Fuck why did I even ask.

it's fair enough that he wants to fix what was arguably the biggest fuckup in 40k sans the emperors relationship with his kiddlies.

But the Emperor loved his sons.
All 10,000 of them.

Oh?!? So it is just one of those generic shitty endings GW usually puts out? To bad, could have been a good book I guess, but this is exactly why I chose not to read before I ask. No use in reading something that has a plot thats obviously just saved by fluff-shields and sales rate.

sure he loved them, but he clearly didn't do what was best for them. Maybe if he'd told them about the warp and chaos they'd have started a crusade against it sooner and none of them would've been corrupted.

Anyone here know the deployment cost for Magnus? I have a few scans some friends sent me of the new army listings, but it cut off the pts cost for Magnus and he is gone on sabbatical.

650 pts base.

Thats BL. Were talking canon material user.

Lol. Taking someone else opinion over reading 140 pages. How fucking lazy are you?

>wanting conclusive story in a game fluff.

Read the book.

Double-BS.

The space wolves purged everything off Fenris, and then Grimwolf Wolfgrim proceeded to mount up his entire chapter so they could rush to cadia's aid, just as the planet of sorcerors appeared in realspace directly above the relatively defenceless Fenris.

>Just as planned

>directly above the relatively defenceless Fenris.
Factually incorrect it arrives in the Prospero system.

However Ahriman knows the webway portals to arrive of Fenris at any time. Not that this will ever be brought up again.

The TS BL lore is mentioned in the WoM book. Madox who is Ragnar's novel rival from the Ragnar series appears.

Heck no. Old Ahriman was literally like "What's the problem? They're so much more effective like this"

Sociopath was better.

>Within sight of Prospero's surface

Wrong. Wrong.

Here is the WoM thread. Read the aftermath pages in the bottom. Fenris is fine.

That doesn't make the BL books canon user. Madox is that book is a sorcerer but has been turned to dust by the rubric. Its not canon bullshit. Its canon that that event happened as its in the SW codex but not in the way that BL says. BL is supplementary material.

Fuck that, I -like- having a "mostly a good guy except his methods and also everything anyone does is what tzeentch wants no matter how little they like it" chaos marine.

There's meant to be no good guys, right? Only varying degrees of asshole? Well why reject the only sympathetic chaos marine then?