It appears Heroquest is being re-released in 2017:

It appears Heroquest is being re-released in 2017: gamezoneminiatures.com/tienda/es/

How happy does this make you Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A
gamezoneminiatures.com/tienda/es/
drivethrurpg.com/product/139366/Trapdoor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I wouldn't trust GameZone as far as I can throw them.

basically through a shell company Ludofilia S.L, serial GW copiers Gamezone Miniatures took a load of crowdfunding for a game they didn't have the rights to; either from Milton Bradley, Games Workshop or the creators of the unrelated Glorantha RPG called Heroquest, Moon Design Publications, who own the copyright to the word "HeroQuest" in the USA at least.

I think they claim to have the rights through the local Spanish translator of the Heroquest boardgame but it's shoddy at best and nobody has received anything.

I would love for this to come back out,stole my brothers' copy who are 8 and 10 years older than me and used to play it with friends, this is what got me in role playing. sadly i was part of the kickstarter that was stopped due to op right issues and i saw the"25th annivesary" backwhen it was the 25 released (1989 uk, 1990 usa)

I'll believe it when I see it.

same

Did they actually get any money? When they tried to kickstart it the campaign was shut down.

I feel old AF.

Why are people blocking this on copyright grounds if they don't have any intention of re-releasing it themselves? Fuck these corporate assholes.

Because IP's are bargain chips.

It's not a lack of intention, it's a copyright deadlock.

These days, GW and MB could never agree to a joint effort like HeroQuest, but it can't exist without both of them being on board and willing to work together.

Wasn't it the Heroquest RPG guys that were cockblocking it?
Not GW?

I have heard that the Conan boardgame by Monolith has some simalarities to Heroquest.

So glad I don't support GW and their anti-customer bullshit anymore.

It's similar in style although the exact mechanics are rather different. It's damn fun though. They just need to release the updated rulebook and more scenarios, the content in the main book is sadly pretty sparse.

What about GW is anti-customer?

GW really doesn't have a say in HeroQuest; they didn't publish it, they just loaned out their designs. HeroQuest's IP is owned by Hasbro, currently; they're the real 900lb gorilla.
They have a history of legal bullying when their IPs are involved (IE fan sites).

The gameboards for their recently kickstarted game Mytholigical Battles: Pantheon will be useable in Conan and they are releasing rules for some of the units for that game. It's expected to be out next year.

Care to provide some recent concrete examples of this practise?

Yeah, I backed that for the Corinthia crossover box, it's a cool idea to make content cross-compatible between games. But they've already got a fuckload of stuff for Conan and they've yet to release any guidelines for customising your own scenarios, which is a damn shame.

I like to always have more options, I also love Greek mythology and the minis looks pretty sweet. I didn't have a lot of reservations about backing it. I just hope it wont take as long to developed as Conan did.

Define recent... GW's mellowed out since Roundtree's taken over as CEO. Kirby era was laughable when it came to IP defense; not directly related to any fan site takedowns, but the Chapterhouse case is probably the most public example of their IP policy.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Ever since they got a new CEO they seem to embrace their customers a bit more than under Kirby. They now offer actual deals and have actual community sites online.

Anyone here tried Mantics take on this? Dungeon Saga or somesuch title; looks pretty good but nowhere near me has a LGS where I could get more info

lol

I started collecting GW stuff in the early 90s.

so....

> reducing White Dwarf to a pamphlet
> constant price increases well beyond the limits of adjusting for inflation
> discontinuing games after just a couple of years
> reduction of store staff, store sizes, shelf space for everything but 40k
> utter destruction of FLGS ability to sell their products
> secrecy
> lack of play testing
> releasing editions that aren't playable and then releasing a new edition like a year later (40K 6th)

I could go on but you don't really want to hear it

All they wanted was a letter from Hasbro saying they were cool with it and wouldn't sue the RPG company for letting the other company use the name. But everyone blames Moon Design.

That's not important. They got a new CEO now.

lol

I keep hearing about this, and keep hearing that it's never gonna happen. But even if it does, why would I want it to? I have fond memories f the game why would I want something that screws with that?

Besides, I have the original.

And you can't have a Heroquest thread with out our guy...

youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

Oooh! We don't see HeroQuest threads often here.

Well... That GZ shit ain't HeroQuest in anything but name. It's basically a fangame since they don't have the blessing of any of the original creators or publishers.

It won't feature any of the familiar places from the real game as the Old World is GW.
There won't be Fimirs.
Won't feature any of the characters from the real game because guess what? They don't own the IP.
Also they blatantly stole the board layout, but made it shit with those corners around the middle room.

Why is anyone excited about this again? Just get some fan quests for the original game instead.

(Anyone from Ye Olde Inn in this thread?)

Does anyone have a list of what monsters/baddies come with Heroquest? I wouldn't mind just buying a bunch of reaper or even gw skeletons and printing up my own board to go with it

im 24 and so im too young to have a copy of the original. Played my teachers copy in high school and found out people basically scalp any copies of this game that pop up for sale. Fuck paying 150$ for an incomplete copy of a 30 year old game

Laugh all you want, but GW's proffits has increased and people ate getting more increasingly positive about GW.

Basic miniatures list:
Heroes: 1 Barbarian, 1 Dwarf, 1 Elf, 1 Wizard
8 Orcs
6 Goblins
3 Fimir
4 Chaos Warriors
1 Chaos Warlock
1 Gargoyle
4 Skeletons
2 Zombies
2 Mummies
Each of the expansions had some unique minis that they came with.

Thanks! I think i may have a new weekend project

So are there any special items like dice or anything that i'd have to hunt on ebay for or could i just use d6's?

Yes, the combat dice have 3 skulls, 2 white shields and 1 black shield.

There are also a bunch of 3D furniture

The rest is paper that can be printed.

Got a link to the paper contents? About to hit the printer at work hard tonight!

Also what size is the furniture? Is there a 3rd party set i could get?
Sorry for all the questions I'd just like to have a version of this that won't cost me an arm and a leg

Why should they let someone else profit from their IP?

>Fuck paying 150$ for an incomplete copy of a 30 year old game

This is why you fail. The new one is $120 and not nearly as cool. Besides, I didn't own it as a child; so as an adult I get to do what I want which includes buy lost pieces of my childhood.

And why on earth would you pay $150 for an incomplete copy? I spent about $120 - $130 for mine on eBay; you just have to keep an eye out. You can set alerts, you know.

And if you are still too cheap to preserve this bit of gaming history, my I suggest Ye Old Inn: your source for all things Heroquest. You could literally print up everything yourself you need to play and use either your own minis or papers ones. Although after the cost of paper, toner and time is it really any cheaper?

As said all components are available at Ye Old Inn. Remember to get the american version - the monsters are tougher.

It would be cool to build the Heroquest gameboard in plasticard.

BRODE-SODE

I'd like to try it out. Never played. Imo it's bs that GW'd sell a remade boardgame for $150, but that's GW lol.

>gamezoneminiatures.com/tienda/es/

>it's kinda the same

except its not even close

They're making a website for that.

I know they're making a website that collates fan made content, but I've yet to hear anything about official guidelines and things like points values for balancing the various monsters, items and heroes against each other. I like Conan, but the basic game is kind of a mess.

I was part of their crowdfunding effort... they bilked me of $150 and never sent a game... when I contacted them, they never returned emails.... this is yet just another example of a European shady business trying to take a niche market for all its worth...

Steer clear user, your pocket book will thank you...

Sold my copy on ebay for $80

I payed $2 for it

I took the busted ass box and made a wall hanging out of it. I have two sets I picked up at flea markets for a couple bucks, that I put together to make a complete set.

I've taken it out once or twice to play since freshman year of HS. General consensus is that it's dull and repetitive and nobody wants to play it more than once.

I will say, I think the fixed board is a lot easier to deal with than the dungeon tile crawlers that are popular now. You don't have to deal with the board crawling off the table as you play. But as a game, it's very mediocre. I'd rather play an open table dungeon crawl with Basic D&D.

TL;DR if you want to play a dungeon crawler board game, make your own with reaper minis and a homemade board

If you're a nostalgiafag, please believe me that collecting shit you vaguely remember from childhood will not silence the deafening howl of the void that is our inevitable death.

>I will say, I think the fixed board is a lot easier to deal with than the dungeon tile crawlers that are popular now. You don't have to deal with the board crawling off the table as you play. But as a game, it's very mediocre. I'd rather play an open table dungeon crawl with Basic D&D.
Every random dungeon generator should have a fixed maximum size like Dungeon Quest. You pushed too hard in a specific direction and ended up in a dead-end? Fuck your luck, go back and pray you survive the stacking traps/taxes, it adds to the dungeoneering feel.

>but GW's proffits has increased
Yeah because of video games, while their revenue from miniatures still falling down.
Source: summer financial report.
> and people ate getting more increasingly positive about GW.
GW fanboys aren't people.

Sounds like they are doing fine and giving people what they want.

I think a lot could be done with a hybrid system which I have never seen used. A main board which can be modified ala Heroquest but also a set of modular tiles.

The main reason I bought mine was nostalgia but also to introduce younger players ( my kids) to table top fantasy RPG games. Thats what Heroquest really shines at. A intro game for new younger players. I also really enjoy the old "simple" GW designed on the day.

For a game I will actually run with adults I do: drivethrurpg.com/product/139366/Trapdoor

which has more tactical depth but remains a RPG Light Dungeon Crawler with small team (dare I say squad) tactical grid based combat.

sorry I thought you were joking because the way you said it was so stupid and childish initially.

When I bought it desu I had never heard of it, but saw that it came with a shit load of miniatures and bought it. I didn't even realize it was worth so much. Trust me that shit made me start looking up every board game I came across at a Goodwill.

Well, I was trying to be funny.

Yeah, a board that's random/procedurally generated but fixed in size would be cool.