WIP - Painting/Converting/Sculpting General

Gaudete, gaudete! Imperator est natus, Ex Sanctus virgine: Gaudete!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

Previous Thread

>When cecil starts hiding the mining explosives and asking you not to report his new "pet"

First time trying to paint NMM, I think I'm gonna try redoing it, just doesn't blend as well as I'd like.

awwww yiss

The Spikes are from a chaos landraider, rib cage and brazers are from the corpse cart and the symbol is from the skullreaper set.

did you get it already?

Just arrived this morning, Austria user moves fast...

noice

>Secret Santa
Dayum, wish I lurked more, I love secret Santa's.

Open it!

My God Austria user, this is incredibly generous of you... I'm genuinely touched and a little in shock

nice!

Also included a wonderfully painted Termie...

Tested my "new scheme" on some spare scarabs i had lying in my bit box
>I feel like i've seen this scheme before
>Did i not fuck up colour theory?

Whats in all the sprues? Dark Vengeance terminators?

theyre all warm colours, i'd do a single contrast colour like blue lenses instead of the yellow

Dark Vengence Termies and a Dark Angels Veterans kit + some head options + new bases for all included new City bases oh and Belial... holy balls

Perty, do you like tentacles?

Thats some really nice stuff.

Truely is, now I'm going to have to write a thank you card.

That seems way more than $10 and makes me feel like a cheapo

Singapore Annon, if you see this, please tell me what you play so I can try and get something appropriate.

>Singapore

Unless you're in Asia you might want to just take a dive in case it doesn't arrive before Christmas

I like it!

Thats always a "problem" with secret santa and a certain target value of the gifts i fear.

There is no real way to prevent that from happening. Some people just have more money or large stockpiles of stuff laying around and are glad to get rid of some.
If the rules would say up to $50 then there would be someone gifting stuff for $70+ as well.

Don't feel bad user, the gesture of gifting something to a stranger is what counts, not the monetary value of the contents. At least thats how i see it.

nearly finished my prospero familimilimlams

Dark blue or light blue?
I was planning to use the yellow for Gauss + eyes

>I'm going to have to write a thank you card.

You're welcome and I'm glad you like it, user, but you really don't have to. If I'm honest it seemed a bit paltry while I was packing it. Also, I forgot to put in the Dark Angels recruitment poster I printed out, but you literally can't open those boxes without ripping them once they're closed.

nah yeah i reckon it could work, you'd just need the yellows to be a flash gitz level of brightness. when the models all similar colours it has trouble pulling the eyes to the focal points

I've almost finished my daemon prince of Tzeentch for The Scourged. Just have the base and little bit of clean up here and there left to do. I'd like to hear what others think.

A close up on his head

And his sword arm. I've got to say, the colour scheme for The Scourged is really fun to paint, even if getting that almost-black shade of red was a bit of a hassle.

Ah ok, i'm still trying to get my head around this Colour Theory thing

Ah thank you, Sir. Much appreciate and I struggled with the box for a few minutes trying to figure out how to open it without tearing and had to end up doing so.

It is very generous, I might try to send a little something back, although I struggle to think as I spent many winters in Sol in Austria skiing and thought the chocolate (which is normally my defacto thank you gift) was superior to ours, hmmm. Well we'll see, thank you again!

very nice, consider highlighting your bronze (more?) as it looks a bit flat, but otherwise nice.

Still early stages yet. Do you think I should do that purple gradient on every body segment or just stick with the blue on the rest?

Thanks! It's supposed to be a goldish colour, I under coated black, Balthasar gold base, Gehenna's gold layer on top. I was considering doing an edge highlight of Runefang steel or Chainmail (it's the old name for the paint inbetween Leadbelcher and Runefang steel).

I think the purple gradient looks great! In my opinion, it'd look pretty cool if you continue the purple gradient, but have less and less of it as you go up the segments.

May I suggest a technique of my own devising, mottle it with more agrax Earthshade (or equiv), and continue to do so, then you can highlight the edge with the original colour and then give it an ultra fine highlight of stormhost or runefang, really makes it pop.

For Gold however, the "new" Retributor armour is fantastic, I reccomend it.

>Base Leadbelcher
>Layer Retributor
>wash agrax
>wash agrax
(more washing to taste)
>Highlight Retributor
>Highlight Stormhost

It looks great (demonstrated on my Magus staff here)

Wow! Yeah, I see what you mean, it is very effective. Thanks!
Btw, I'm very impressed with the skin, your shading is great

Carlos in Tenerife, your parcel is on its way.

Those blood effects look legit amazing. Is that a wash?

>Jim: Well Bob, looks like user's, eventually, started work on his Orc team
>Bob: That's right Jim, I've seen Wood Elf Treeman go faster than this guy
>Jim: So what do you think of his technique?
>Bob: Not for me to say, Jim. I'll leave that to the crowd and from the sounds of it, they're not too happy.

>Jim: Using Cabal vision we're going for a close up of Riptooth Cragchewer's weather beaten face
>Bob: Don't blame the weather, Jim... Blame the coach! If he was any good maybe this poor Black Orc wouldn't get knocked down so much.

Stick his base to something while you paint and don't lay him down while painting, it looks like you're wearing the paint right off the knuckledusters. Otherwise, nice, but dark. Could push the contrast more.

And get that pube off his jawpiece.

Meant to link

don't beat yourself up user, those are good!

Anyone got a good guide for painting bright orange? All the stuff I find on the net is dark and dull.

I paint a base layer of red (like Mephiston red) and paint over that with Troll Slayer orange. I know it's pretty basic, but I don't paint a lot of orange. Still, the outcome is a nice bright orange, It depends how much detail are you wanting?

First mini in a couple of months. Decal wrinkled unfortunately and I've smoothed it a little since this photo, but otherwise pretty happy.

Oh yeah, then if you want, highlight with a mix of Troll slayer orange and a bit of averland sunset

Noob here - is there a good recipe for "bright" bronze that's not confused for gold? Was looking at warplock as base but it might be too muted for me

reposting from last thread:
C&C? I still need to:
-clean up lines where the white went over
-add in energy colours
-find a gunmetal black or something for the main body of the staff.
I've been using P3 Carnal Pink for my energy colour. Do you guys think it would be best to stick with it, or should I change to a different colour? People I know are pretty split between them, and while I like it the sheer number of people who are saying it's bad are making me think that maybe there's a better colour to use.

Advice I got from the last thread. Warplock base, then wash with agrax, then drybrush brass scorpion with a bit of leadbelcher for highlights. Comes out like (If that works)

This is Warplock, Brass Scorpion, Runelord Brass (with the Nihilakh Oxide weathering), if that's roughly what you're after?

Jesus, that mini's dusty.

I think it all looks a bit flat, a black wash over the metallics and then pick out the raised areas would really make it pop.
For the turquoise start with a darker blue base and add turquoise to it (I use coal black and then meredius blue for mine)

Looks pretty great actually, will do that! Thanks man. Might've underestimated warplock

Looks great too, but need it to stand out more on mine I think, thanks though!

It is a beauty of a paint, I base almost all my metals with it. Drybrushing leadbealcher over it for a general silver metal and you get lovely dark recesses.

Lovely. I really like the red and the skintone on this guy. With some team markings this guy is gonna look awesome.

I really want to get my hands on some of those and do ...something with them.
I have no interest in Blood Bowl apart from me thinking that bright team colors and numbers look really fancy on model though.

Dunno, maybe they could serve as 'Ard Boys?

Anyway keep posting. These look awesome.

>I feel like i've seen this scheme before
Looks vaguely familiar.

Its sunday.. how is this even possible?

US mail has been delivering on Sundays for certain kinds of packages.

LURKERS - POST - CURRENT - PROJECTS

wow how does this work? you guys made a list or something? I want in! so cool!

Its over for this year user. The "how to join"-pic was posted here almost constantly during the last 3 weeks.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh that's it, didn't even realise
Kinda glad i went with copper instead of gold desu

shieeeet next year then!

Parcel Force and lots of couriers operate on a Sunday.

Looks old school af.

First mini after a few years and I don't really like it.

I thibk I fucked up the highlighting and the bae isn't as "acidy" as I wanted it to.

Any tips on how to improve?

Scarabs are cute! CUTE!

Buncha part, assembling some marines, painting a couple others, drilling like 15 bolters.

Currently painting my Ariadna Starter. First time ever painting anything. Unfortunately I don't have any washes but I have umber wash coming Tuesday. Any suggestions on how I should color my GL Volunteer? Wanna have her fit in with the color scheme of my other troops. I was thinking, yellow jacket and socks, black boots, shirt, and skirt, but then I'm not sure about her hair. I have a red that I was gonna try but I don't think it'd work with the rest.

Not really a project, but I bought a Bretonnian battalion box a year ago for my first foray into the hobby, but haven't had much time to paint or play until recently.

Here's a man at arms i'm trying to do. I'm still complete shit though. Obviously not finished.

Forgot my picture, of course.

I can't, I don't have a current project.
I am currently too poor for the resources I need to start any project at all.

What do you guys think of this cultist? He's one of my older models. The reason I haven't stripped the paint off him is because of that one eye.

Good effort for being back at the hobby user. I'd say more thin layers so you can build up the colour better, watch some videos on highlighting and layering.

Heck just use the the same techniques as on warhammertv and you'll be right as rain.

Practice and patience, user.

I kinda dig this, too. Paint is so lump and shitty in places, and those gloves just blend right in with the flesh, but the gun actually looks pretty great, the apron has a wonderful grimy feel, and that eye as you say.

Thank you very much! I wanted to get a real sense of grime and dirt with the miniature.
This was at the stage where I was thinning my paints, but I hadn't found the perfect mix, so it still sometimes caused a lumpy effect as you say.
I am quite proud of the gun, I'm very happy with the chipped effect on the chevrons.

Ogryn loyalty os what we need to stamp out the genestealer menace.

Also ogryn genestealers would be a nightmare!

I even used the WarhammerTV video of how to paint a termagant as a "template" and it turned out like this.

More thin layers should be manageable.

I didn't really get the hang of highlighting though.

Thanks user

More progress. This time I painted all the toilet paper.

Give her chestnut hair, so it can separate itself from the rest of the color scheme

I am very impressed with waht the armor has going on right now. Is the texture on the armor sculpted on, or did you freehand that? And was the armor itself shaded with an airbrush and stencil, or is that the result of glazes or some other blending technique?

That's perfect, thank you. I wish Hobby Lobby was open today. Hopefully Michael's sells Vallejo paints.

fucking fuck, i wish I had patience like you, how long did that take so far?

Nope, the marks on the armor are all sculpted.

I didn't use airbrush at all for this, the highlights were done with wetblending and the shadows with regular glazes.

Red parts I think about 4 hours, silver about 3, paper another 2.

I think I'll need another 12-15 hours to finish him, basing and all.

Dayum. That's so nice looking,

just finished my orc team. now on to the human one

have you gone into your local store and seen about any secondhand stuff they have?I know a lot of places around me tend to buy up the stuff of people leaving the hobby for dirt cheap so they can sell it to new people for dirt cheap and get them into the hobby.

needing a bit of help /wip/.

i've ordered a SNagrat Kromm model from BitOfWar, and ever since I've been trying to find a scale comparison between it a 40k Ork so I can see what alt. head I'm gonna use since the one with the model looks goofy.

i was gonna use one of my spare Black Orc heads from a recent Ironjawz strter box but idk for the scale.

anyone here have the model or have seen it beside other orks? pic related.

I will add green glaze and then some grass on the bases for my sylvaneth army. whatcha think?

I think that either your camera isn't that great at picking up highlights and shades or you should definitely do those
and I think that maybe pine needle green isn't the best colour to have painted bark, but it would look a lot better with aforementioned highlighting and shading.
looks a lot more tree-like, why'd you change colours for the body?

for the base, I'm a much bigger fan of the old glue-sand method and then adding grass and such to make it look more organic.

yeah my phone is shit and lightning in my room also.

I painted the bark with dryad bark and biel-tan washed it. then used sylvaneth bark for some highlighting and for lighter part like "horns" etc. I like it this way it kind of looks like a behemoth just arisen out of a forest/swamp

with dryads and which I didn't use the green wash but went for a more mundane tree look.

He's bigger than a boy but smaller than a warboss. About the size if a nob but I don't have a proper nob to compare him to.