The GM gives the party a wish-granting device

>the GM gives the party a wish-granting device
>any wish they make always has the universe twist inside out to fuck them over in the most ridiculous fashion
>monkey's paw? more like monkey's dick in your mouth

>the GM offers the party to make a deal with the in-universe devil
>they turn into chaos goop five minutes later

>the ingame circumstances force the party to commit a morally questionable act for the greater good
>suddenly everyone knows of that one bad thing they did and hates them for it

What's the problem, then?

I wish that this wish would have zero repercussions beyond being a waste of a wish.

I wish we were playing a better game.

Can't you hire a lawyer to phrase your wish for you?

It's dumb. You're not being clever by doing any of those.

>Reality begins to collapse
>You're blamed as the destroyer of the world

So what? Call them out on it, or play with a better GM.

They're tropes. Tropes can happen. It doesn't make a story inherently good or bad, on its own.

Expecting to get a free wish isn't clever either.

That kind of shit is just an outlet for bad GMs to feel clever about themselves and have their "haha gotcha!" moment.

This is why when my wizard got the power to cast limited wish himself it was a day a celebration for us, and god help us when regular wish comes into play

Can't monkey paw the monkey bitch.

Our party freed a trapped Djinn and we were offered a wish each as thanks.
Other then the Djinn being at least a century out of date and from a foreign culture, they actually tried to fulfil the spirit and letter of our wishes.

Another game we made a deal with Satan. Our payment wasn't even our souls, simply that we would never speak ill of him.
He didn't once try to dick us over.

Different game again, we killed half the nobles in a kingdom and by the time the reports had made it to the palace, we were halfway out of there.
Guards would stop us after that, on the look out for our party but inaccurate reports meant that we bluffed our way through most the time with little incident.

You just need to find a better DM, OP.

you're a cunt

if a party gets a Wish they probably earned it through months of in-game questing

>arrive in town and commit string of murders, arson, bombings, and thefts
>super chill dudes by day, helping out around the town while we're staying there
>guards starting to get suspicious because the crimes started when we got into town
>guards totally don't want to blame us because we have plausible alibis and excuses, help the guards capture the "real" culprits constantly, and are generally cool dudes
>guards warn us that the paladins are going to arrest us and interrogate us when the office of the watch opens on monday
>drop a meteor on the town sunday night and leave

feels good

You know, I wonder how many PARTIES pull this wish-twisting crap, rather than the GM.

Like, the party goes around being extremely nice. But either has an agenda to secretly fuck everyone without them knowing, or willfully misinterpret requests.

>simply that we would never speak ill of him.
What kind of devil was he that he was scared of a little cyber bullying? Or were you a bunch of really prolific bards?

If you're in the interests of making deals with mortals, then good PR tends to go a long way.

I want to run a campaign like that.

>a PC is finally able to grant wishes to himself due to reaching level 17 after a two year long campaign
>DM decides to twist them anyway

I don't even have an appropriate reaction picture for this.

>But either has an agenda to secretly fuck everyone without them knowing, or willfully misinterpret requests.
Paranoia

>captcha: 2800 dead

Cut off one of your GM's fingers to teach him a lesson

>ye olde medieval fantasy setting has five-day work weeks, paid overtime, maternity leave, and minimum wage laws

he could potentially have plans in the long rrun that involves them. This way he sets up a little insurance they will have a hard time completely messing up his plans when the time is right.

I got you covered.

There was some reason the paladins weren't on duty that weekend specifically

>If you're in the interests of making deals with mortals, then good PR tends to go a long way.

One bit of fluff I like from the Neverwinter MMO, is a Lore entry you find when playing as a warlock that talks about how Belial will often times make pacts and empower "heroic" warlocks, then not dick with them after.
He does this so that people will see the warlock going about saving the day, using his powers to be a hero and generally doing good despite having literaly made a deal with the devil.
This paints the making of such deals in a positive light and makes it more likley that more people will make their own deals, many of whom won't be as careful with the terms of their pact, which in the long run means more souls for Belial.

>"I EARNED the right to fuck up the universe in my favor! How dare the stupid universe not do it how I wanted!"

PCs, ladies and gentlemen.

In some settings, deities get power based on how much belief they get from their supporters.

If you have bunch of extremely famous adventurers who have saved the world numerous times going "Ha ha, you're talking about ol' Beelz? Nah, he's a nobody, he's a stupid piece of crap" you might notice your power dwindling pretty quickly.

Telling them, "yo, don't say anything bad about me" is actually a legitimate request in that scenario

What's wrong with wanting something you worked hard for actually be the thing you worked hard for?