I have no fucking idea what game system to use

I have no fucking idea what game system to use.

Should probably play GURPS.

Start with D&D, then move on to a system more specific to what you're looking for in a setting.
Like we all did.

Try some one page RPGs until you figure out what you want.

No.

I've already done that, multiple editions of DnD in fact.

I'll be more specific, I want a high fantasy magic system that supports my magic system ideas.

What are your magic system ideas? If you're going to make this kind of thread, tell us what you're actually looking for.

I'm personally a big proponent of The Riddle of Steel.

Don't be a fag. This guy could be actually serious, and you're leading him into a land of tedious work with limited returns.

If you have no idea, try something like Fate Accelerated. It takes about thirty minutes to learn and teach, and it's so stupidly narrative that there's almost no way to fuck it up.

>If you have no idea, try something like Fate Accelerated. It takes about thirty minutes to learn and teach, and it's so stupidly narrative that there's almost no way to fuck it up.

In exchange you have to deal with everyone being "clever" all the time.

Definitely GURPS. If only so that the next time somebody tells you to play GURPS you can say 'I have, and it was shit'.

You'll have to tell is what you're looking for OP, else we can't help you.

Part of the problem is I don't know 'exactly what I want' but basically what I want for the magic system is something that's like this;
>Need a wand to cast spells
>You can mostly just spam spells forever, but cast too much or fail and you'll drain some health/stamina/stat damage for a while
>Spells are weak and useful cantrips, with more powerful spells or enchantments requiring preparation (ie; scrolls, magic items, potions, etc).

That's the magic system in a nutshell, but for the most part that can be homebrewed in to taste. I also have a few gameplay considerations I want to think about;
>High fantasy
>Strong character differentiation (class based is preferred for this reason)
>little to no race selection (race is entirely cosmetic, less to balance)

I know there isn't a perfect system out there for me, but I want to at least have a starting point or make one myself.

I also have an OSR background and have played plenty of the 'rules lite' and 'narrative' games in the past, such as Fate, dungeon world, etc. I am experienced in Homebrew and currently run multiple homebrew systems for a much more refined and better game, but I want to dip my toe into typical fantasy adventuring that doesn't feel like shit or 'breaking' the game by changing up the magic system so much.

This all seems like stuff you can just house rule into your RPG flavor of choice.

Well, D&D's vancian magic for one means that you don't really have "spam forever" spells, but otherwise I agree with you.

Barbarians of Lemuria maybe? IIRC it has this magic system where you need rituals for bigger effects, since bigger spells need higher skill rolls.

Main problem right now is 'how do wizards get stronger' when they level? More charm spells known is kind of lame and detracts from learning or buying them in game world. Making them stronger also seems a bit like a stretch, or at least difficult to balance.

Actual GURPS GM here. Stop this awful meme.

This. GURPS is unironically the best system I have ever seen, given that you're willing to put an ounce or three of elbow grease to it. Anyone who disagrees is either lazy as fuck, stupid as fuck, or has a different opinion that although I disagree with, I respect nonetheless.

Levelups gets you new cantrips and improves your passive enhancements. You can purchase/find "big" spells unrelated to your level advancement, just like fighters can find new magic weapons and armor.

What do you want out of your system aside from the thematics? Would you prefer more simulation or a more gamist approach.

>I have no fucking idea what game system to use.
Me neither. I want to play urban fantasy, but my players want to try something other than WoD for a change, and Shadowrun is wayyy too cyberpunk for urban fantasy.
What else is there?

Play D&D with Warlocks replacing Wizards, add home rule needing a wand as a foci. Simple as that!

you surely gave us lots of useful indication about your upcoming campaign

FATE, or something FATE based like Dresden Files, Atomic Robo, etc.

Maybe Savage Worlds.

Possibly Monster Hearts.

>I have no fucking idea what game system to use.

We have no fucking idea what type of campaign you want to pull off. So, we're even. Ha!

This thread is meme, so it was relevant response.

If i want an OSR that isnt dnd?

Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Otherwise, define what you mean under "not D&D OSR". Since the OSR movement is essentially based on old school D&D, they are quite entwined.

>Dungeon Crawl Classics.

What is it about and why is it different to D&D?

It's inspired by old-school D&D, without using most of D&D's rules.

Mostly about making heroes out of zeroes; high lethality, random character and spell generation, and crit tables.

Just download the pdf from the share thread.

You could do Fantasy Craft, it fits almost all of those outside of the little to no race selection. They are balanced though, and it's not neccesary to include all the races. Hell, you can do an all human game and you'll still have more choices than D&D.

I made a thing, could use some playtesting.

Savage worlds

FPBP

If you want something out of the box try one of the series like Monster Hunters or Dungeon Fantasy. And don't expect answers that aren't GURPS when making these stupid threads OP, unless you are actually specific.

C.J. Carella's witchcraft, Buffy or Angel, Monster of the Week, GURPS lite, Call of Cthulu (or variant), Night's Black Agents...

That's actually pretty good. Although I think a 1d6 is a bit low and doesn't give much room to work with especially when you have +2 and -2 modifiers. I'll see if I can get my friends to give it a try tonight and see how it goes!

>wants extensive homebrewing and customization options
>doesn't want to play GURPS
Literally why. If you want "strong character differentiation, just give the players some templates to choose from and customize

Thanks m8. I only chose d6 because it's the easiest die to purchase anywhere, and I've got a newer, updated version if you wanna look at that too.

Ars Magica

Wizards can basically do whatever they want as long as the effects are limited enough, more powerful spells have to be learned from a book or developed on your own.

Bad things can happen if you push your power too far, up to being pulled out of reality temporarily.

MYFAROG

Only works if you shoehorn it into the element + Form thing they got going on. Might also be a bit TOO free form.

I've been playing 5e with a set group, and we dabbled with CoC for a little.

Our DM is gonna set up a small (2, 3 person) sci-fi campaign shortly, and we're wondering what system to use.
There'll be a bounty hunter-ish theme, at least initially, and it'll be set in some established universe (Between Starcraft, Star Wars and Mass Effect currently, apparently).

I was thinking maybe Rogue Trader?
Any suggestions?

Try out MiniSix or OpenD6. It's simple, but fleshed out enough for decent characterization.