Playing God

I have a question for you Veeky Forums, because I want to use your responses to help me build a setting.

You are now a powerful extradimensional entity. Not an Abrahamic God, but something akin to a Lovecraftian Outer God, a being of great but not unlimited power. And you, in your wandering of higher planes or whatever, find an alien planet full of little sapient critters. They have technology, they have what you think is art, they have some sort of culture, though you're not really sure how it works, and they are clearly intelligent. But they are also far below you, tiny ants running around between your toes.

What do you do with them? How do you react to the situation? If you, personally, were in this situation, what would you do?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZO21ze8Up34
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Entirely depends on your inbuilt motivations.

All contiguous beings said to be alive have a 'reason' for why they act, even if they don't understand it fully. Music=communication=mate finding.

So, does the lovecraftian deity have some sort of 'sustenance' requirement? Does it have future goals? Is it a plot tool whose goals only reflect what the author desires the reader to feel?

>Poke them with a stick.
>See what they do.
>Poke with another stick.
>Get bored.
>Fly off and do super cool old ones stuff

If I have nothing really critical to attend to then I'd probably observe them a bit and see if I can convert them and see how much I can shape them and their world in my image. If they have existing pantheons then I'd probably try and corrupt their gods as well, either directly but most likely through tainting their creations.

>oh shit, primitives I can mess with.

Probably insert myself into the setting after watching for awhile as some sort of super hero alien who crash landed. Then I go on adventures with the aliens who are cool guys fightin' crime.

This

If they are totally beneath me then this makes them boring.

But since I noticed them and observed them for a bit then there must be SOMETHING that I find a tiny bit interesting.

Since they are nothing to me, I force them to be more interesting and to stop being so boring by embracing that something, whatever it may be.

Demand that the amuse me, if they refuse to comply force them to amuse me.

Create a clone of my consciousness to watch over/ fuck with them, then move on. Make that clone identical to me except he finds them remarkably interesting, is loyal to me, and that is weaker than me by orders of magnitude. Once every few hundred aeons recall all the clones and absorb them back into myself.

Alternatively, do the same but inspire the artists of the planet to make art that evokes me. I'd probably find X'thaluthoah slice of life anime hilarious.

Third option is leave behind some artifacts/ geological formations in patterns (think those "leylines and the pyramids" shit. In a few hundred years these puny mortals will lose their minds at all these coincidences.

Wait for the internet to be invented and reward the faithful with dubs and gets which reveal the future to them.

Try to do one of their many female if I can understand the one that has the right hole

It's a good question. A lot of the lovecraft deities have very simple ones, at least as far as we can tell. Breeding, conquering, survival, etc. Lets assume that something these critters do or have could fulfill some basic biological drive of yours. Maybe you feed on their dreams. Maybe you can eat them. Maybe you use them to reproduce. Whatever you like.

This is an interesting idea and I find it very similar to a child putting two bugs in a jar and making them fight. It's a good angle, because you could choose any tiny aspect of human life and then have the thing try and somehow twist humanity to emphasize that aspect.

A very pragmatic approach.

I doubt that anything even remotely Lovecraftian could successfully communicate and pass on ideas to ant-sized people, and even if we could, why would it matter?

They have their lives, I have mine. We have completely different mindsets.

So for me, I'd probably just chill on their planet and watch with curiosity until I get bored and decide to leave. If they somehow fucked with me, I'd probably squash a bunch of them with my fingers, or maybe start punching their planet until its all deformed and fucked up, and then leave.

toss myself into their world, taking the guise of one of them.

I eat their world and go look for dessert.

Try to make a little avatar of myself that looks like them, and impregnate as many of their women as possible. If I can't do that, I fuck the world through more direct means.

My plan is to basically ejaculate on the world and see what happens. I might just leave and let my cum transform into millions of tiny monstrous versions of me.

The problem with talking about "Lovecraftian" entities is that the mythos is a horrible hodgepodge of things not created by lovecraft and thus wildly different in tone.

The Color out of Space is what he considered is best and I'm right with him on that. Because the Color was completely without malice or indeed any motivation beyond self preservation. It crashed on earth and wanted to leave, so it sucked the life force out of the area and blasted off. It killing farmers was completely incidental to it. It's impossible for us to even know if it was intelligent or if it was just some cosmic tapeworm with no drive other than survival.

But a lot of the other monsters in the pantheon are a lot more overtly malicious and seem pretty focused on humans for them supposedly being beneath their notice. I guess you could say that Cthulu viewed humans like we might view ants.

"Ah, god damn it. Fucking explorers have gotten into my sunken city again. They carry off my eldrich remote control, they go crazy and shit on the floor, and they keep blowing up my inverted pyramids! Gonna exterminate these things."

So it understands humans, it just doesn't care because whatever. And if humans wanna live somewhere where it isn't than whatever, it doesn't matter.

But then you have shit like Nyarthrahotep (SP) who goes right into humanity and starts messing with them.

So it's really quite varied, their responses to humans. And they, at least old Nyars, seem able to communicate if they want to.

>Create an Avatar that can blend in and live among them
>Accumulate wealth and political power
>Advance their technology and nurture their civilization
>Preform miracles and develop religious fanaticism
>Become the God-Emp
>Probably fuck off when I get bored

Hide on their ocean floor for a few million years to dodge the interstellar revenue. While I'm down there, maybe influence a few nutters to form religions and doomsday cults

And here's 40k explained

I'd probably randomly stumble over them and shortly look at them to see what I'm dealing with out of interest and curiosity. I'd watch over them and subtly influence politics from the background, most likely choosing and empowering certain worthy individuals to pursue my agendas in order to create my own utopian society. Maybe I'd settle down and live among them, or I lose interest and repeat the process on some other world. In the latter case, maybe I'd form the worlds I influenced into a powerful alliance, a major player on inter-galactic/planar/dimensional/whatever issues.

Shake the box and make 'em fight.

Buzz them in a harmless but undeniable way to see how they react.

study them, find out what makes them tick, find out what motivaits them and somethings about their culture. After some time fuck off to a diferent place. After all what do you do when you find a anthill? A normal person will watch it for some time and go on his merry way, a biologist might look at it longer, maybe take some samples if he finds something of interest or come back a few times, maybe see if there are similar ones around.

I take a separate population of them and make my existence known to them. I physically separate them from the rest of the word and let them advance technologically, biologically, and even religiously under worship of me for hundreds or thousands of years. Then I introduce them back into the rest of the world and see what the fuck happens.

I also look for a way to fuck one.

Being a god of sorts I would know what's up.

A little clutch of interesting things that I just randomly stumbled upon does not compute. There's random shit everywhere that doesn't catch my interest, so how did these things get to be so special?

If they're interesting enough to be seen by me, then I know their Daddy is around here somewhere looking at me. And that's the very first thing on the agenda to deal with.

>they have what you think is art, they have some sort of culture, though you're not really sure how it works
Try to figure it all out, browse their art, and start leaving commentary and showing them some of my own. I think I'd love to see their reactions when I show them some cool shit.

Fug a cute female one in an awful war-torn part of the world and then mess with the resulting offspring. Like, get him to start a cult and shit. He'll probably go mad and get killed by the locals, but whatever. Good for a laugh, right?

I reveal my prescence to some limited amounts of them, help them start some cults and shit. Ykniw, generally have a laff, maybe mutate some. Sink a country maybe.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZO21ze8Up34

I will release the bees. Everywhere. If the inhanitants are too tough to care about bees, I'll make the bees stronger. Not enough to be a threat, but a total painful nuisance they can never get rid of.

I will also buy all available adspace on the planet and fill it with pro-bee propaganda. I will force all artists to focus their efforts into making representations of bees.

Find the most interesting ones and give them powers. See what happens. Then constantly show up in their dreams and make them doubt their choices.

>I will also buy all available adspace on the planet and fill it with pro-bee propaganda. I will force all artists to focus their efforts into making representations of bees.

I try to teach the little ant people about what it's like on my level; I can't imagine what it would be like to be as ignorant as them, so there must be something I can do to help.

Surely, they will come to understand what the universe is REALLY about.

By the way, in case you guys are wondering, what I'm doing is making a god for each "kind" of interaction I see here. Their motivations won't be known to the players, just their actions. In my experience, even simple actions can seem alien and complex if you don't know what their purpose is and have no good way to find out. For instance, I have a god that , as previously stated, is only interested in specific thigns humans do and will, as such, try to make them do those things more often. What it likes is random and its attempts are rather hamfisted, so Its actions are often destructive and seem semi-random, but with enough of a pattern to make it confusing.

...so causing fires if it likes to watch the blinky cars?

It pleases me to know that my desires will be made manifest in the world of another.

Yep.

Or if it likes fashion shows, destroying boring cities without them. Which means major cities remain untouched while towns burn. Sort of the inverse of every big action movie.

Probably just tuck around with them and see what happens, just kind of experiment.
Like, what if kidneys were hearts? That could be meat to see happen.

I'm going to fuck something weird.

Shit man, I dunno. Am I busy? I'd probably go down there and assume a similar form minus the weakness of not being god and seek amusement. I'd probably end up cracking the place like an egg when I get bored before flying off to find something else amusing

Slow down, Vivec.

So, what happens if the god just appreciates the art it sees people create, and wants to critique and comment on it , perhaps suggesting a few ways to make it better, while trying to share its own art with people to broaden their minds and get their opinions?

I'm going to have a massive orgy(village worth of people) and impregnate all parties involved. I will move my offspring and their parents too a secluded place to live peacefully until they develop fully. At that point I will slowly reintergrate them into society. Why? Because I'm horny and want something to invest my time in.

I gradually reshape their environment to encourage their growth, both in number and social complexity. Basically, I sculpt their world into an ant-farm for these little 'sapi-ants', so I can more greatly enjoy watching them scurry around.

For a few generations put myself in the backgrounds of their minds undetectable so I essentially learn everything about them from their perspective without affecting their behavior in anyway for a few hundred years, and then just sorta watch and knock aside any external shit like meteors and solar flares that might fuck them up. Have conversations with them when they die and try to make those who don't feel great about their lives feel better about them, taking up the appearance of any gods they might invent and appearing as such. Subtly alter events in such ways so that the race never truly gets to obliterate themselves. Like never so drastic that they live in a utopia, but just make the world at the most teeter on the brink of destruction before coming back. Maybe talk to some of them in their dreams. Never crazy prophet revelation stuff but you know, kinda vague and fuzzy and chalked up to just being a vivid dream, but make 'em feel better.

Might do it to some other planets too.

i would recreate the planet in another dimension

and then create a mirror of myself in theirs....

>gas them all
>polish Earth up as a nice bauble
>Give it to my girlfriend
>Kidding..I don't have a girlfriend :(

Depends on a lot of factors. Have I already found other alien planets with sapient little critters in it before, or is this the first?
Maybe it's hard to find one of these before other beings of my race do, and if I'm the first one to find this, that would make me pleased.
If it's not the first one I have found of the kind, also unaffected by my peers - is there anything this planet/race in particular that would catch the attention of something as grand as I? Do I find anything in their existance even mildly interesting?
If I don't, I couldn't care less. But if those primitive, weak things somehow had something that intrigued or amused me, I'd possibly stick around a few millenia. Try to see how things turn out, watch them closely. If there's anything I particularly don't like in their lifestyle, I'll influence them so that it changes until my idea of perfection for these beings is achieved.

And if perfection cannot be achieved, if they failed really badly in reaching the stage I wanted them too, that would cause unspeakable drives to rise within me, and I would lay waste to them, and then use a bit of power to ensure that sapient life would rise again in my little pet planet. After a few millenia, I'd return and see how things went this time.

If I'm not all-powerful, there's something to be gained from them.
Make them notice my greatness, bring blessings upon those who worship me and plagues on those who don't.
Help them spread throughout the universe until their people are more powerful than the gods, by sheer number and technology, always making sure they don't consider forsaking their one true god.

Also, yes, fuck at least one of them.

"Today an unknown cult attacked the Louve in paris. After killing the guards they locked themselves in and desecrated many of the famous works, leaving indecipherable messages in an unknown language on the walls and works themselves. Witnesses say they heard strange chanting and saw lights and movement within the building before police teams raided it. By the time the police arrived and secured the building, none of the terrorists could be found. The police report that several "Biological Objects" were left behind, but have not expanded on what these are."

take samples, mutate them to exceed in specific climates, wipe their memories and hide them in some unexplored pockets of adequate climate. Wait until they meet and witness what happens.
Also, if some pocket becomes too agressive and threatens the majority it gets wiped. If the civilisatio is on the brink of collapse then I step in, silent snow falls, everyone gets their minds wiped and they only remember what they did when I encountered them. Leave just some parts of their previous achievements to see how they process such artifacts.

1. Decree that life begins at conception, and every human zygote has a soul.
2. Decree that human souls go to hell by default unless the human makes a choice to repent, even if they did nothing wrong, humans are inherently damned until they say the correct magic words.
3. Design the human uterus to reject 3/4 of all zygotes for no apparent reason. They end up in the trash and yet they are fertilized egg cells. They have human souls, they have original sin, therefore they go to hell for eternal torture and there's absolutely nothing they can do about it.
4. Convince them that this broken system is their fault somehow. It can't be mine, I'm God!

*tips fedora*

If you tip any harder mate, all the waitresses in this dive will be able to retire, hold back a little.

its like ive seen this before somewhere...

You got it all wrong.

Take on their form and walk among-st them. Try and be nice and protect their smiles without interfering too much or doing anything that would disagree with their values.

If I thought they were missing something, maybe I'd become a philosopher or teacher and write books and sermons on what I believe. But I wouldn't force it on them.

>not keeping them alive and giving it to her as a cute little pet

>you are now an extradimensional outer god
>oh jesus what the fuck where am i why am i not in my house any more
>oh god panic panic panic
>wait this is actually pretty cool. i dont need to worry about anything anymore
>this is an okay afterlife
>attempt to inspire the ant people to make art or do things for my amusement, to stave off the eternal boredom i know is just around the corner
>maybe empower a few champions and let them run free, just to see what they do
>doubtlessly i either become less active or more depraved, depending on whether or not i begin to accept they have a limited amount of responses to becoming demigod artist-warriors, or rage against their limited amount of responses
>still attempt to act against what i feel is injustice in the world - a beaten slave child may be empowered just to cause world-wide slave revolts
>smite absolute prickheads
>etc.

In short imagine a white knight Slaaneshii cultist, who believes he cannot die but can be bored forever (a fate worse than death) suddenly becomes a Lovecraftian Outer God creature.
And the only way for him to stave off boredom is to produce and watch his own soap operas.
Although as I depend on these critters for entertainment and keeping things fresh, I would probably move heaven and earth to prevent them going extinct.

If my power is only great and renders me unable to foresee the future and without knowledge and understanding of all things, I suppose any being that finds itself in my shoes would have a passing interest in the observation of such creatures, even beneath me they may be able to teach me. I don't suppose I'd interfere at least not immediately, not until I grew properly attached to the little things in which case I would only gently guide their tiny hands to prosperity only intervening when things seemed dire, and if by their own devices should seek to destroy each other, I'd take a handful of those whose ideals most closely resemble my own and hold them up to the heavens in my palm and after destroying the other dwellers of their world I'd place them back and have them go forth to re-populate. Whatever they would choose to see in me with their brief glimpse into what I am, I shall not strip from them upon their re-entry instead seeing what they choose to do with the knowledge they now have but shouldn't possess.

Fucking hell, someone left their kid unattended? Some eldritch deities shouldn't be allowed to reproduce, I swear.

Right, then, I guess raising the thing is my responsibility now. Is it at least in good hea--

Oh god damn it, it's got some kind of metabolic disorder. It isn't allocating its negentropy correctly. I need to correct this before its growth can be stunted permanently. Gotta add more useful energy to the system somehow. Grab a couple of the closer stars and use 'em to--

Whoa, fuck, that one's going to blow in another few hundred million years. Geeze, this is a shitty neighborhood, how do you even let things get this bad? Okay, first I'm gonna move it, then I'm gonna get it fed properly, then I can figure out why it's growing all wrong.

It had better be fucking grateful when it ascends, I tell you what.

>You are an entity alike to a Lovecraftian outer god
>How do you react when you discover Earth?

If I even notice that tiny speck of dirt, I certainly don't give a single non-Euclidian shit about the microbes that cover it and bang stones together. Have you even read Lovecraft mate?

i keep seeing panels from this, what's the name of source manga?

also I really appreciate this thread for some interesting motivations for weird godlings I could put into a setting. Myself, I would just... Play a Game Master, basically. Engineer implausible scenarios, cause mayhem and unrest and then pick and guide some heroes to estabilish order anew. I'd be a very dualistic and deterministic deity, basically. Shit will happen here, here and here, and you, you and you are fated to fix it, now go go go.

Use it as a control group and find a lifeless world nearby to experiment on. If a plant moves to follow the sun give it eyes (even grass), if the biped can use tools see if it can hold an understanding of how the universe works in its mind but never contaminate the original sample.
When they get to space flight and come to my lab world it's their own fault if they mess up but let them leave with anything that the laboratory can produce and if they choose to stay signal that there is some sort of intelligence operating on that world, if they stay then they've opted in.

IGNORE.

That was one autistic comment.

I'd walk among them and do various deeds of wonder, but immediately move on to another place.

The ideal end goal is to become somewhat of an urban legend on the planet, something that for some reason every culture has an example of.

Until that bores me, then I'll probably just flag the speck of existence for later and continue doing other elder god nonsense.

Grab a planet from a neighboring star system and release it into a nearby orbit when I know they're watching.

It really depends on how bored I am. If not enough, I would just let them be.
Being overall benevolent, maybe leave a gift that I would believe they would appreciate.
Otherwise, if bored enough and nothing better to do...at first, I'd try to figure how the things work by myself. See to observe the shapes, movements, and whatnot.
Then, I'll see what makes them 'go'. Try to make a contact. Small ones. Piece by piece, I would see to enter in contact with one, or few individuals so to see if they could explain me how they work. And what their world would want. Maybe explore the place under disguise.
Eventually, when I got my fill of interest, bid farewell, and leave a gift to the ones that helped me out. Maybe carry one with me, if it wants to, why not: I doubt it'll matter much.

But yeah. Be curious and study that world and society, and leave on a pleasant note.

Might be different then most, but here goes.

I'd probably cultivate them and provide them with tools to advance. I would care for them, watch over them, and make sure their march to greatness is one that is successful. I would do my best to guide them, and I would make myself known to some few so that they may inspire others to do great things, but I would instruct them to not let them know of my presence.

Of course, I would let many challenges meet them, and I would have them defeat those challenges, as to make sure they were indeed prepared for whatever comes before them on their journey. I would find those who showed great promise, and lift them upward, and those who wished to take advantage of other's for their gain, or to stop their fellow brethren from becoming good, would be smited. I would show them love, and once I was satisifed with their accomplishments and I felt they would be safe alone, I would leave them and find another species to uplift.

Think he meant more in terms of power and maybe ability, not personality or ideology.

PSST post art of gods

I use them to stroke my ego.

Appear before a favorite ethnicity, give them 'magic' and let them dominate and enslave all others, have them build monuments in my name and offer sweat virgin souls as sacrifice, who I can enjoy molesting I'm some way eternally.

I never said I was nice.

Briar
The Watcher on the Walls, The Penitent Sentinel, Foreigner's Thorn.
Lesser Diety
Symbol: An eye with a pair of bat-like wings on either side above a gate.
Home Plane: Alvunek, The Divine Respite.
Alignment: True Neutral
Portfolio: Magic, Time, Borders
Worshipers: Magical Regulators, Watchmen and Authoritative Agents.
Cleric Alignments: CN NG, NE, LN, TN
Favored Weapon: Longbow: Attacking Spells may suffice for spellcasters.
Apperance:
Pending me finding a picture that'd fit or else I'll just write something up.

Dogma: Briar teaches steadfast caution in dealing with strangers. Some may be kind, or helpful, but their uncertain benevolence does nothing to stem the threat of unfamiliar antagonists. The safety of one's community and allies depend on your own ability to perceive potential threats and diminish them.

In mundane hands, Briar's followers seem unfriendly to the unfamiliar, or to reject the unknown out of hand. Given time to prove yourself to one a Watcher however, you'll find them to be stout allies and loyal friends. Their temples are well guarded, and are often sought after to protect valuables or as shelter from bandits or thieves.

In a magician's realm, Briar's teachings dictate an emphasis on Abjuration and Divination. Know your enemy, protect yourself, and your spells will see you through any situation. Abjurant Champions and Unseen Seers are often found among their number, as rudimentary magical teachings of various sorts are made available from their temples to those that would seek the expanse of knowledge, protection, and discretion that arcane influence can grant.

Those who find themselves indebted to the Watchers are rarely left wanting for means of repayment; there's always information to be had, a lesson to be taught, and Contracts to be made. Eldritch Disciples and Eldritch Theurges often come from those who find the Watchers while down on their luck.

While upper echelons of society tend to favor more grandiose members of the pantheon, it is not uncommon for a Watcher to be among or directing palace guards or fortress watchmen, supplementing caution and common sense with small, supernatural insights keeping visitors honest and gateways secure.

Evil and Chaotic folks get an automatic raised eyebrow when first introduced, but after that what he's most looking for is reliability and consistency. Evil can be underhanded jackass territory, but the ones who can be convinced to be of assistance when there's something in it for them are still worth keeping around, especially when dealing with existential threats. LG folks on the other side of things are usually going to be okay, though CN and CG folks often have a longer probation in Briar's mind than CE; their good nature and caring hearts make them ideal targets for subversion and manipulation.

In general however, alignments won't be an issue; The Wall is around them all.

There's a lot to be said for being willing to make a sacrifice or send aid when it's needed. The real deal is basically "hey, the shit outside the wall's getting uppity today, got any champions with a good head on their shoulders who know their way around a mace and bullshit forces of chaos?"

Not terribly fond of deities that offer powers and goodies for little to no price; tends to be suspicious, much to the chagrin of many more generous and charitable patrons and deities.

>Shredded upper body.
>Covers his legs.
God of Gains, Patron of the Day of Rest, aka Leg Day.

edddgyyyyyyyy

What, you wouldn't?