Dormammu, I've come to bargain

Have you ever toppled a BBEG through conversation, without resorting to violence?

Have you even tried to talk them down?

does power word:kill count?

my players are likely to rp to succeed at a fight they otherwise wouldnt.
bard managed to convince a BBEG 7 levels higher than us (we were supposed to escape prison and become stronger before facing him) to let us go and serve him in finding who actually killed his son. we avoided a war due to conversation.

No, because my old GM was a railroading faggot.

why didn't dormammu try to talk doc down or torture him into compliance in the unlimited time he was given?

>make convincing argument appealing to both logic and emotion
>roll
>succeed roll by over 10
>DM: He still wants to fight you
I fucking tried.

To a being outside of time, being subject to it may be unbearable. That's how I rationalized it, anyway: whatever torture he could inflict on the good Doctor could only hope to match what Dormamu himself would experience with each new cycle.

It wasn't the bbeg but it was another baddie of significance. She was from another world and ended up trapped here by the bbeg of the world she came from. She was going to do a bunch of awful things to get the needed power and resources to get back to her world, but I convinced her to help us stop our bbeg in exchange for us helping her get back. Thank god I did because she acquired a massive airship we used to kill a god that was also trying to do us in.

Dr. Strange only experiences himself activating the loop and telling Dormammu he wants to bargain once.

Dormammu being outside of time has to deal with Strange an infinite number of times until he gives in.

I'd like to put a villain into a game who can't be defeated through combat on account of their spooky nature. Is this doomed for failure or can PCs handle an obstacle they can't just roll dice at?

Who here 3.5 DIPLOMANCER WITH BULLSHIT HIGH BONUS?

I thought it was heavily implied that he remembered everything, though?
there's bits where he staggers immediately after doing the jump, IIRC.

He does. He just accepts that he's going to get tortured forever so he can save the world. Hence why it's the end of his character arc.

yeah, I was replying to an user saying he wouldn't recall that, which doesn't make sense.
If he wouldn't recall it, then why does it show him doing so /in/ the loop was what I was saying.

Depends on your players.

Don't know about a BBEG all of those I've come across have been so far gone they where gibbering something like "clakc, clack, I am two crabs" in-between stroking some from of dooms day device
but I've talked down plenty of BEG's
often in the guise of some fort of yokel
>"It just ait done, to kills-thoses that don'ts need killen"

yes, he was also a werebat
a DIPLO-BAT! if you will
he suffered a tragic accident shorty after I unveiled that pun

Twice. Once I found a loophole in the rules and let our monk duel with OP Angel(who wanted to smite the whole town) by playing go. We kinda cheated and won.

Second time I talked a Time Demigod into coin toss to determine the fate of our party druid. Cheated and won like a boss.

Currently waiting for a chance to challange Lady Death to a multilayer chess game.

Your GM's going to go Tet on you sooner or later.

Reference lost? Tet?

Sideral, stopped the Ebon Dragon from marring the Scarlet Empress with a very ancint legal loophole

Happens all the time, even in D&D. There are plenty of things you can throw at a party they can't reasonably kill. I mean, there's always stuff like CR+10 gribblies, but look at ghosts and spectres. Without very specific prep, they can't meet it in battle and it can still fuck with them.

Hell give a vampire levels in bard, or beguiler, and throw that at a 5th-10th level party. Never engages in combat, just poisons every town and monster group against the PCs. Spies on them, sics wandering monsters on them (every WM roll is double chance or more). Steal their food, shoot flaming arrows at their packs, bar doors and reset traps behind them in dungeons, defile their good works ten minutes after they leave...

The possibilities are endless, and yours to command.

No Game No Life is a Light Novel series in a setting where all conflict is resolved through games, on the authority of Tet, god of games. All bets placed on games are magically bound.

Now I remember. However, it won't be Tet as far as I can tell. There's already whole Nordic Pantheon after my furry ass, no reason to make me worry about someone like Tet.