Modern Plate Armor

In the near-future the CEO of America's largest defense contractor looses his goddamn mind, ordering a suit of Knightly armor be crafted from the most advanced materials and technologies possible so as to make every American soldier (or at least the spec-ops style forces) impervious to all harm.

You are the lead designer. You have virtually infinite resources and access to currently bleeding edge technology. Your goal is to make this Modern Plate Armor as resistant to small arms as possible if not outright immune and allow soldiers to function at peak efficiency in the field.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RKcqHaPhkkM
stripes.com/news/pacific/kevlar-or-plastic-new-armor-lighter-provides-same-protection-1.402797
thebalance.com/liquid-body-armor-3331922
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond#Industrial-grade_diamonds)
youtube.com/watch?v=N5kWu1ifBGU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Battery)
youtube.com/watch?v=0wk6rswxQro
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Your goal is to make this Modern Plate Armor as resistant to small arms as possible if not outright immune and allow soldiers to function at peak efficiency in the field.
Impossible. Even with the finest current technology a bulletproof, full body covering armor would very heavy and hard to maintain, dramatically lowering soldiers efficience in the field. It might have a use in the hands of law enforcement, though.

Problem: people aren't strong enough to move under the weight of armor thick enough to resist modern firearms.

Solution: motorize the armor so human strength is no longer the limiting factor.

The power source is a concern. Fossil fuels are not an option due to obvious reasons, batteries can't hold enough charge, RTGs are too weak.

This is now both your armor and your steed.

I make remote piloted killbots.

Now through the magic of telepresence the soldiers are immune to all gunfire.

Tiny fusion reactors

power cables that teather them to big fusion reactors.

Lasers that are fired from a mobile power station that powers their suits through steam/hydraulics.

Plenty of problems:
1) materials resistant to modern firearms would be too bulky and too heavy for people to wear in combat
2) while there's significant research into powered exoskeletons, this runs into a slew of enormous problems, namely that complexity leads inevitably to a greater chance of breakdowns and a loss of reliability.
3) power source: There simply isn't an available power source that generates significant energy but with controllable impulse (i.e. not an explosion) that is light enough for even a powered exoskeleton to carry along with fuel for any reasonable amount of time in the field.
4) at the end of the day, even if you do solve the above problems, you STILL have a squishy human inside; the sheer momentum of being hit by, say, an RPG, has to bleed off somewhere, and all that armor is good for is tidily keeping all your meat together for a coffin.

Solution:
Don't armor people. Use drones. Remotely operate them for operating operationally if need be.

There is no fusion reactors at all at present. Making a tiny one is another problem altogether.

Cables limit efficiency and can, and will, be damaged.

The laser thing doesn't even make sense.

>Laser thing doesn't even work
It's just using lasers to transmit power to do work, what doesn't make sense?

>Lasers that are fired from a mobile power station that powers their suits through steam/hydraulics.
rebels use mirror on stick
army is in shambles

the word you seek is recharge, if you really want to power the suit through stable beam of laser you need a LOS for the whole time, and there is range limitation and need for good weather conditions

its even less practical than cables imho

But conversion eff ency to electricity is lousy for light.

Besides user, where's the fun in practicality?

I want a PlanetSide TTRPG so bad.

>Besides user, where's the fun in practicality?

So just run the fucking thing on pixie dust then.

Because the only major exporter of pixie dust is a rogue state that supports terrorism.

Use your fookin head mate, there's practicality concerns, then there's just making your setting nonsensical.

>batteries can't hold enough charge,
What if we use a suit made out of lithium batteries? Sort of both a power source and, reactive armor.

>reactive armor
kek

they tend to burn rather than explode tho, but i chuckled

Technically, bursting into flames is "reacting" but I don't think it's the right kind of reaction.

And when you try to power your troops by pointing a hugely powerful laser at them, you're waaaaay into the latter.

The guy who shot at it probably won't complain.

Fiiine whatever, but I sill say that mobile armored power generators that tether to the exosuits is still a totally legitimate way to power em.

Can't find the vid I'm looking for, but something like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=RKcqHaPhkkM

Modern/futuristic plate armor won't necessarily be powered. It's possible someone just comes up with a lightweight, super durable material.

Nuclear isomer batteries. They could give up to a year of charge for a human size armor.

Also charging them costs millions of dollars. So yeah. But if money is not a concern...

It's easier to destroy something than make something that can't be destroyed. It's unlikely that any possible future super material would ever be able to get ahead of our destructive technologies. By the time you make super light weight armor that can repel all handheld arms of our time, they'll already have x-ray lasers or room temperature super conducting metallic hydrogen weapons that can fire projectiles at speeds faster than mach 7,

And then, nothing survives antimatter. And antimatter bombs totally will be a thing.

Well... If we are outfitting SWAT-style dudes, who won't need to carry packs and gear like soldies, this hardly seems impossible.

High-tech closed off helmet, weakest point would be grill for breathing. External video-feedon shoulders / helmet and one on your combat rifle, for shooting around corners and the like.

Essentially produce a full set of soft leg+torso+neck underoos from best-of-the-best polymer bulletproofing. Probably not wildly comfy, but should be viable.
Then reproduce something like the most sophisticated full-plates of the late medieval period, but apply modern knowledge of ballistics and physics to make it hopefully even better, and make it from a superb titanium/steel alloy.

If it is mostly titanium, you should be able to get a full-plate at half the weight, and much harder.
And your under-armour is at least bullet-resistant.

>Would it stop RPGs?
Hell no.
>Is it likely that we could produce an armour that would make you almost immune to handgun-rounds?
Probably.

>Would it stop rifle-rounds at close distances?
Almost certainly not. Because nothing fucking does. But it might deflect them a little, who knows.

>Could you even move around in it?
You'd probably be sacrificing a lot of mobility, compared to regular SWAT-gear, but you would totally be able roll, duck and run. People could do that in regular platemail, and this should be lighter.

Each suit would probably be worth a fortune, and they'd constantly be getting fucked up, but whatever.

This is much more practical than trying to protect a squishy human. If you can make impervious power armor, you could make an impervious robot or a number of more pervious, but more expendable robots for the same cost.

Suitably advanced robots have any number of advantages over a power-armoured human other than just resilience as well. A human in PA can't have his head blown off and still use acoustic sensors to pinpoint the shooter before relaying the information to the rest of his unit. He's just dead.

I imagine in a few hundred years, the idea of sending humans onto a battlefield will be similar to the idea of arming our soldiers with spears would be today.

I can dig it. But maybe some sort of APC/generator.

Tethering is kind of problematic too. Maybe something that allows for quick battery swaps for recharging? If a batter only allows for 30 minutes of active use you could carry extras in a vehicle. Sorta like what they're planning for Tesla charging stations.

What about ballistic plates as shields? Like a up armored riot shields.

Impossible only so long as DeBeers continues to own an artificial monopoly on diamonds. Your CEO's first purchase will be the entire DeBeers cartel so

1) You have a stable supply of diamonds for use in experimentation to develop surface treatments.

2) You have a stable supply of diamonds for use in developing diamond-encased nuclear waste battery technology, as recently reported on in the news.

Put those two together, and I reckon you're at least

Eyyyyyy, I recognize that artwork. He shows up on Deviantart a lot, and his work on robots and power armor is second to none. Truly revolutionary.

>No big, useless lights and dials
>Not overly designed
>Practical
>Follows modern military aesthetics and trends
>Theoretically "plausible"
>Well researched
>Consistent design and themes
>VERY well researched
>SUPER well researched
>Honestly, if everyone just researched as much as he did, /k/ would stop ree'ing as much as they do as it is
>JUST DO YOUR GODDAMN RESEARCH, YOU LAZY HACKS

Unironically this, 2bh. For all the money you'll be pouring into R&D, might as well just outfit every single troop with his own Humvee. It'll probably be even more effective too.

>Exposed wiring and internals
>Barely any armour plating
>What it does have is next to useless
>Practical

Yeah, no. It's just another artist wanking off about how awesome their digital painting skills are, while betraying their complete lack of understanding of even the most basic principles of visual design.

That robot is an ugly, over-designed mess, and is totally indistinguishable from any other ~realistic~ robot shat out by any other hack concept artist on the 'net. It is completely forgettable.

It is a bad design.

>Put those two together, and I reckon you're at least
bankrupt, because you just created a monstrously expensive version of ceramic armor that needs nuclear power to move.

So many people in this thread running off at the mouth with literrally zero knowledge.

Hur dur, too heavy. Oh yeah lets see...

stripes.com/news/pacific/kevlar-or-plastic-new-armor-lighter-provides-same-protection-1.402797

Seems the us army is switching to plastic and reducing weight by 25% in 2019

Lets go even further into the future r and d companiesthebalance.com/liquid-body-armor-3331922

Fucking liquid armor, bam . Yes it will be very fesable to create what op wants in a few years.

You're really struggling with this 'money is no object' scenario, aren't you?

>liquid armor
That is some nice shit.

>So many people in this thread running off at the mouth with literally zero knowledge.
Says the guy using company advertisements/press releases to argue his point.

Metallic Glass looks promising.

Funny enough, I'm working on a "WWI with powered exoskeletons" setting since a thread here a few weeks ago that incorporated this.

It's essentially powered legs that allow one man to crew a Vickers gun attached to the armor by a hinged mount and tripod on the chestplate. In-setting the armor project was chosen by the British over development of the tank after the Germans take Paris in 1914, diverging from our timeline. Tanks were insufficient machine-gun-killers in city streets, and failure of a modified tread tractor at a highly-publicized demonstration put an early end to tanks. Only when the armor proved too slow and prone to sink into muddy battlefields was the tank brought back.

Tanks (called "steeds") are just big empty boxes with holes to shoot through, enough space for an iron-clad soldier, an alternator, and a reel of cable to power the armor. Cross a trench, and let the armored soldiers out to clear trenches or take machine gun positions, then advance with them.

>Sort of both a power source and, reactive armor.

If by "reactive," you mean "violently explode and send pieces of metal and battery acid spewing in a ten-yard radius from the now-deceased wearer," then yes.

t. Shitty Graphic Designer Jealous of People Better than Him

>Exposed wiring and internals
No shit, it doesn't have a skin or a casing yet

>Barely any armor plating
It's SUPPOSED to be drawn as an "unfinished" model

>What it does have is next to useless
What did he mean by this? No, seriously, what the fuck are you trying to tell me? Are you telling me that since it doesn't have YUGE GUNZ and SICK LAZORS ON ITS CHEST LIKE PEW PEW, it's suddenly "useless"? It's a bipedal android meant to mimic the human function, and in that regard, it accomplishes that quite expressively.

Every wire leads to a hydraulic joint. Every plate, every screw has a function. When you look at a stripped down car, though it may seem overly designed and complicated, you only perceive it as so because your tiny, normie brain can not comprehend the idea that every moving part exists there for a purpose. If I took a computer apart, you'd squeal and ree because TOO MANY WIRES AND SHIET REEEEE.

Overly designed is Gundam and Planetscape. Giant, jutting edges and vectors that serve no real purpose. Blinking, glowing lights running along the contours of the body to look "futuristic". If all you care about is "visual design", now I know what kind of person I'm really talking to. I bet you have beastmen in all your campaign settings, you noodle-tasting hack. Go fuck yourself. I'm actually mad at how plebian your taste is. Go fuck yourself.

Fucking kek.

Now that's what I call "Blown The Fuck Out".

aaron beck's style is generic and atrocious. you should be ashamed.

You're daft.

>Use drones.
For what purpose?

>Impossible.
Goes on to list the problems a working prototype would have.
>dramatically lowering soldiers efficience in the field
I don't see how.

Solution: make people stronger.

1) Heavy? Certainly. Bulky? Absolutely. Prohibitively so? I doubt it.
2)Then address those problems and simplify the designs.
3)That we know of. So make one.
4)Toughen up buttercup.

So fucking triggered. I mean, I knew Veeky Forums is just a giant cesspool of plebians, but this is absolutely reddit-tier opinion you guys are spouting off here.

Let me guess; you unironically like pic related and your favorite classes are LE EBIN BARD and LE EBIN DWORFS

For the purposes of killing enemies without putting your own forces in danger,

That's what my forces are for, i'd rather not waste time on the current pet project of the R&D department that has no conventional applications aside from fragging third world sand rats that have never seen an AA-rocket.

>robots
>variations in stride height-length that great

PIG DISGUSTING

its either bad programing
or a truly FUCKED roadway

Wouldn't a sufficiently large quadrotor with an attached gun be way better than the equivalent bipedal robot? Assuming you can make it narrow enough to fit through doors with ease, now you have a drone doing basically the same thing as the biped except it has z-axis freedom. And when you take it outside, it becomes an attack helicopter.

Even if you absolutely needed legs it seems like a dog-like robot would be the best thing for similar reasons; more stability, harder to hit, just as much shooting.

Military hardware, user. Military hardware.

>Cheapest contractor
>Worn out and/or broken internal systems
>Non-maintenance
>Over use

Clearly everyone in this thread is missing the point of the brain exercise. I'll give it a go.

So a suit of modern combat armor would have to achieve two objectives in order to be successful: it has to stop bullets and be comfortable and light enough to be used in a wide range of environments. If the area's too hot, the soldier would probably risk a lighter a more breathable bulletproof vest over the superior protection of rigid armor. If the areas too cold, the soldier would have to worry about plates freezing together or becoming too cold to wear, especially in locations like Northern Europe. Normally problems like that are tackled using product variations anyways.

1.) Using current and some upcoming technologies, the armor plates would rely heavily on rolled steel or composite plates layered with graphene. Like some tank armor, the plates would have to be hard enough to survive the impact but flexible enough to not shatter or crack when hit. If my understanding of graphene is correct, the added layer would dramatically increase the surface hardness of the armor while adding very little weight to the overall product. It's unclear if solid graphene plates would be a viable alternative at this time, so a combination of existing and future technologies would be the most viable solution at this time.

2.) In order to be light enough for the average soldier to wear, the armor would initially be developed to only cover vitals. The arms and hands would be armored with form fitting plates with angles that encourage ricochets instead of direct hits as would the legs and feet. This unpowered armor would undoubtedly be heavier than the soldiers current kit so unarmored areas like joints would be protected by kevlar to reduce weight. The standard-issue armor would most likely have a Level IV protection rating which would protect the soldier from common modern threats.

This has gone off the rails a little. We have infinite money for a one-off project, so efficiency per dollar relative to a drone is irrelevant.

What we are concerned with, is making a small handful of men capable of fighting effectively on a battlefield that is at the same tech level, wherein the tech level is modern or near future.

You like drones so much? Could we make drones do this for us? Perhaps a drone swarm that surrounds the man and aligns into a crude spaced armour equivalent when it detects incoming fire from a direction?

I've seen stuff about people trying to make armor from non-Newtonian fluids... I wonder whatever came of it?

Problem: Not many people agree to being loaded up with testosterone nor give enough fucks to get that strong

As usual, people ruin my plans.

Generally heat exhaustion and fatigue are bad things.

Get out of here, Dahir Insaat.

Solution: Produce an army of clone / cheap willing mercenaries/laborers

Solution: small fans.

Why not just make people who don't mind dying for their country?

Oh my, it seems time is a flat circle.

Because there are, anyone who agrees to sign up for the grunts is willing to die.

Solves heat exhaustion, but increases fatigue. Cooling vests work though, so I guess my point is somewhat mute.

As for fatigue, I dunno. Stimulants and creatine?

sup loser

All you need for power armor is for the suit to
>be bulletproof for small arms fire
>protect against shrapnel
>if possible, high explosives
>sealed for NBC hazards
>give soldier access to information inside the helmet - voice comms to other soldiers, with dismissable HUD overlay that can show GPS, temperature, battery life for the suit
This is very doable given our current technology level. We're basically only waiting on responsive robotic skeletons to put it on. Once it's done, it will be scaled back to be economically effective.

Have him shotgun a can of redballs.

That'll work.

given that the most common rounds in use are the 7.62x39 and the 5.56x45, the armor must be able to withstand any number of these projectiles, while big bullets like the 7.62x51 must also be resisted reliably. the ability to stop even a single .50 BMG is a stretch, but it would be nice to have

the next step is to make sure it is light enough to be worn, preferably without an exoskeleton, which she should probably make since we have an unlimited budget and all that. the best bet are nano-diamonds and carbon nanotube, woven into extremely thin fibres and placed hundreds or thousands of layers thick. these nano-fibres can be stacked over a thousand times before it is even 1mm, we have an unlimited budget so we cab have as many layers as we please.

>not one person suggesting ablative armor so the bullets bounce off diagonally instead of directing impacting the wearer

???

Why bother with special angled armor that can be shot on a direct face, when you can instead deflect less energy from all angles, thereby preventing the problem of being shot on a direct plane and the ablative armor doing nothing?
This isn't 1944, Ivan.

>You are the lead designer. You have virtually infinite resources and access to currently bleeding edge technology.
> You have virtually infinite resources and access to currently bleeding edge technology.
> You have virtually infinite resources
> infinite resources

Perhaps you are under the impression that diamonds are precious. Only because the DeBeers cartel artificially sets a price that they determine on a whim. Diamonds themselves are not especially rare, we even create them artificially in a lab on the scale of 114,000 kg/year. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond#Industrial-grade_diamonds) but the advertising campaign that gave us "a diamond is forever" is long forgotten while embedding a corporation's marketing message into our culture. TL;DR: Adam Ruins Everything: Engagement Rings. youtube.com/watch?v=N5kWu1ifBGU

That said: Even if you don't go out and buy the world's supply of diamonds, because you have virtually infinite resources after all, you could still start looking into creating contiguous sheets, either as a surface treatment to backing materials, or as its own standalone surface. Diamond is harder by far, yet less than half the density of AR500 plate.

And if the case turns out that a suit of diamond-plated armor is not feasible due to fleshy meat bits not being strong enough to wear it without encumbrance, fine, build it over an exoskeleton, and refine the diamond battery concept (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Battery) to the point where it will deliver a sufficiently large charge to run said exoskeleton during combat operations, resulting in a power source that is both safe, durable, and long-lasting potentially on the order of millenia (C-14's half life is 5730 years) that other warfighting devices could also tap into.

>Adam Ruins Everything
Right, because he's soooo reliable.
youtube.com/watch?v=0wk6rswxQro

You say that like it's supposed to invalidate the fact that diamonds are not as rare or valuable as the world's diamond cartels would have you believe.

It doesn't.

Ah, but these cartels control the supply no? Therefor they are as rare and valuable as they deem as you will not have access to them without their sayso, and people keep paying their prices.

>>You are the lead designer. You have virtually infinite resources and access to currently bleeding edge technology.
>> You have virtually infinite resources and access to currently bleeding edge technology.
>> You have virtually infinite resources
>> infinite resources

You're having trouble with this "infinite resources" concept, aren't you?

No, I'm addressing the diamond market.

user, I can't begin to tell you what is wrong with that armor set up Mr. Buzzcut Roundgut and his life partner are looking at.

infinite resources= infinite diamonds
even if you buy so many diamonds, that it costs a trillion, you can still buy them

Obviously.

Nah m8. Ripped Fuel.

Efficiency is lost in terms of armor upkeep. Any machine requires maintenance and adding armor upkeep to weapon and meals and soldiers in the field have a few more things to do before any movements.

Its not a big problem, but it might be big enough to relegate them to law enforcement and shock troopers of some sort.

>Thread about impossible armor
>complains about pet projects
>drones can only be airplanes

You win. Take this (you) and get out.

Point is moot, not mute.

Isn't possible, because even armor of the tank can be penetrated, and you aren't going to make something with armor of the tank and mobility of infantry. Your Space Marines aren't possible in real life, face it like a man.

Graphene. One layer of it the size of a football field weighs less than a gram, and it's capable of stopping 130,000 MPa of force(compare kevlar at 3,000 MPa). Now, bearing in mind, it would take just under 1600 layers of it the size of a football field to equate to the average volume of a suit of plate armor(gotten using the density of steel, with a mass of 15-25 kg, averaged to 20 kg).

So, in about a kilogram and a half, you have a suit of plate armor. Let's say triple that to factor in the mass of the graphene replacements for the cloth and mail typically worn underneath, and it's still under five kilograms, vs 15-25.

In regards to explosive warhead payloads like RPGs, are there any design choices the suit can possess to avoid insta-ded operator?

shoot the guy with the RPG
otherwise spaced armor, unless its an RPG-21 which has a tandem detonator

I was with you until you started badmouthing beastfolk.
If you don't have little bunny people kickboxing mofos alongside tortoise dudes slowly plodding down the path of life then you're doing something wrong.

Unless you're talking about "chuck some animal ears on a human and call it a day" beastfolk in which case I see your point.

No, it's a dwarven bard.

Get on my level normie

Looked promising, but probably going to shatter. Good for a few shots though.

>In 2014, researchers from Rice University and the Georgia Institute of Technology have indicated that despite its strength, graphene is also relatively brittle, with a fracture toughness of about 4 MPa√m.[161] This indicates that imperfect graphene is likely to crack in a brittle manner like ceramic materials, as opposed to many metallic materials which tend to have fracture toughnesses in the range of 15–50 MPa√m. Later in 2014, the Rice team announced that graphene showed a greater ability to distribute force from an impact than any known material, ten times that of steel per unit weight.[162] The force was transmitted at 22.2 kilometres per second (13.8 mi/s).[163]

Beck, please go to bed.

I don't understand, a wall very much would not stop immigration. The only wall in history that ever prevented people from coming over was the Berlin Wall, and that was only the length of a city and had to have people guarding nearly every inch of it with semiautomatic weapons and barbed wire. AND IT STILL DIDNT STOP PEOPLE FROM GETTING PAST IT.

Modern ballistic plates can stop full powered rifle rounds at point blank range, but they lose capability with repeated hits. Replace your titanium plate with ceramic composite a la military style body armor and it would be effective, if heavy as all shit. No mobile soldier would be able to use it for any significant period of time.

What if we change the premise somewhat? Some rich guy with illusions of fantastical grandeur wants the most awesome modern armor made for his private security force. Not powered in any way, and style counts as much as function. What could one make along those lines?

I don't give a damn about magical infinite money or your personal butthurt concerning South African diamond monopolies. Diamond will shatter when hit. Like the ceramic plates we already use. Your radioactive diamond armor is something we already have, only worse.

maybe if the breasplate was made of carbon nanotube mesh, layered hundred of thousands of times over, with a rigid covering, it would be tough enough to resist anything short of missiles
as this guy points out, graphene is freaking strong
since we have an unlimited budget, we can potentially add as many layers as we like