3) Don't turn into the Modern General

RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art (Updated through Duel Decks: Jace vs Chandra)
sites.google.com/site/mtgbasics/

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Miracles: The Match-Up Everyone Should Know
channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-defeat-miracles/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Common Legacy - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
>Miracles
>Delver variants (Grixis, Izzet, BUG, RUG)
>ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)
>Death and Taxes
>Eldrazi Stompy
>Shardless BUG
>Lands

Uncommon Legacy - Decks You Should Know About
>LED Dredge
>Reanimator
>Infect
>Stoneblade
>Burn
>TES (The Epic Storm)
>Elves
>Painter
>Maverick
>4-Color Loam
>Nic Fit
>Sneak n Show

Rare Legacy - Decks You May See On Occasion
>Enchantress
>MUD
>Goblins
>Merfolk
>High Tide
>Aluren
>Food Chain
>12 Post
>Belcher
>Pox Control
>Blood Moon Stompy variants
>Tezzerator
>Sneak n Breach
>Stax (White or Black)
>Deadguy Ale
>Landstill
>Affinity
>Oops, All Spells
>Tin Fins

Mythic Legacy - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Doomsday Fetchland Tendrils (DDFT)
>Cheerios
>Nourshing Lich
>Non-Eldrazi Moon-less Stompy variants
>Spanish Inquisition
>Ux Omnitell
>Parfait
>The Cure (Kavu Predator + False Cure)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.reddit.com/r/ModernMagic/comments/4b6nob/glittering_wish_ad_nauseam_tournament_report/
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-eldrazi-tron-26966#online
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-03-16-ddft/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nicfitdraft4-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Did anyone actually go to the MKM Series in Prague?
I had a ton of fun playing TES, but I didn't do too well. I did get 2 nice tokens made by Danny Orizio for EtW and a bunch of foils.

I haven't been able to go to any events, but I've noticed a surge of W Soldier stompy online, anyone else seen it?

Been kind of sad lately. Realizing that Magic is recieving less and less players around here, I live in Phoenix, AZ. Theres barely a legacy scene at all here anymore and even Modern is dying slowly it seems. Im not going to sell my deck because ive grown attached to it but I do hate not having anyone to play with or tournaments to go to. I play Burn for reference in both Modern and Legacy and have Scapeshift as a secondary deck. At least my decks not a super expensive Legacy deck like Shardless BUG or Lands even though it does have some pimp cards like Judge Mountains and a playset of Foil Guides

Here's a picture of all the stuff I bought. I finally finished my playset of foil Geese. That BS I ripped from buying a random s-chinese EMA booster. The Bayou was also pretty cheap, 105 euros.

If I were you i'd start playing online. MTGO has frequent structured tournaments. Or you could use a free option. If you sold paper scapeshift you could easily buy into legacy burn online.

Thanks for the advice. Ive thought of going online but im not sure it just doesnt have the same magic (no pun intended) that the paper cards hold for me. I like being able to hold the cards and the dynamic of sitting across from someone and playing the game. I guess it just comes from my years in high school playing the game casually. I suppose ill just find as many tournaments as i can attend. For a while I had gotten out of the game as I was waiting to purchase some cards and the work schedule was making it difficult to attend.

Where in Phoenix? I'm starting to finally build my decks.

West Valley. If you ever have a Legacy deck completed and want to play I have Burn ready to go or even if its just proxied on some cards I dont care.

Okay, I'm in Tempe, I've got led dredge proxied up (20% built) and a casual esper control deck that's not competitive.

There will be two of these in the deck one day and a third judge mountain
Sorry for the bad quality on the images but its the phones camera combined with the lack of natural light.

Those are some nice Vortexes, I could only snag a foil conspiracy one a few months back for a few bucks, but hot damn, the old foils are where it's at.

Who eldrazi here?

Yeah if you ever want to meet and play at a store thats fine. Post a throwaway email and ill get in contact or I can post one.

Yeah I much prefer old foils as the old border makes the foiling stand out and I like the shooting star at the bottom. Judge foils are also great. If I had infinite money Id play a pimped out version of Lands or Painter but I dont have that kind of cash to spend on a format that doesnt see too much activity.

I was the homie in the last thread talking about my match up against elves as D&T. Even though I agree that containment priest and spirit of the labyrinth are sweet against elves, my favorite was Gideon +1 then Cataclysm which was also sweet against Eldrazi.
New Thalia is great, I need at least 3.

Death and Taxes is such a sweet deck. One of my favorite decks to go against as Burn. I feel like the matchup is 50/50 and very skill intensive.

probably one of the worst ways to spend 1400$

>putting those expensive cards in Ultra Pros
Use dragon shields instead, protects the cards better, less split sleeves.
You building High Tide?

Also with cards that expensive you should double sleeve. Just a recommendation.

they are double sleeved, and I use Ultra Pros because I like the matte blue which matches my mono blue deck. Waiting on 8 guru islands now. I need to find 3 more.

>8 guru islands
Dang isnt that over $2000

well a bit more but I got them for 2k yeah. If you are going to play a shit deck, may as well look good doing it.

True. I like good looking decks as much as anyone, the pictures in the thread are some of my most expensive cards I own. Nothing compared to those Islands though. Im thinking the most expensive individual card in my collection is the foil Arid Mesa which is currently $100 but the Judge Mountains are very expensive for a basic at $70 and the Guides are about $250 for the playset.

yeah but your deck is viable. It pains me so much that high tide is basically 2nd tier and its getting worse with the modern creature power creep.

In modern I play ad nauseam and I feel kind of dirty using damage to kill my opponent. We need to make "I blue sun's zenith you for 61" viable in all formats!

Jokes aside I really miss combo winter and good all days of solitaire mtg. I still have my academy deck.

Yeah Burns a pretty sweet deck and im surprised its such a viable strategy in Legacy but Price of Progress and Fireblast in conjunction with 4 different playsets of one mana 3 damage spells and extremely efficient damage dealing creatures like Goblin Guide and Eidolon is pretty good. Also helps that the manabase completely dodges one of the best cards in the format, Wasteland, and Force of Will isnt too good against the deck either due to the redundacy of the deck and the fact that you pay life to use its alternate cost.

Creature based power creep is partly why I want to build Lands as the deck absolutely destroys those types of decks. Thank you Tabernacle and Punishing Fire. Also the decks really viable in Legacy and fun to play the few times ive tried it on XMage. If im ever rich enough i know thats the deck ill build.

I play wish nauseam in modern. it's the closest I can get to playing DDFT in modern. There aren't really any modern decks that give that warm, fuzzy, public masturbation feeling like legacy combo decks do.

>tfw going through my old Magic cards from when I used to play and I found A FUCKLOAD of good Mirage cards in really good condition

A Lion's Eye Diamond, three Phyrexian Dreadnoughts, four Enlightened Tutors, tons of good shit. I also found an unopened Tournament Pack, those were just like the 60 card boosters where it wasn't a set list of cards right? Like you would get three rando rares etc.? You guys think I should open it and see if there is anything cool in it or leave it sealed?

Sell the Tournament Pack. It's almost definitely worth more than the cards you'll find in it.

Played Dredge at the local with my newly-finished quad-Force sideboard.

Despite appalling draws and worse dredges, got a winning record. Picked up the last two Reanimates I'd been looking for to build Reanimator. Only need a third Griselbrand and a Tidespout to finish the maindeck, I think.

Any Reanimator players here have info on what's most important for the sideboard? Flusterstorms seem like a must, and a couple of Show and Tells seem important too, but I'm wondering what other people with more experience think.

I like it in a lot of matches, it feels like a pretty skill intensive deck. People give miracles a lot of credit for taking a lot of skill but Death and Taxes is up there. Some match ups seem iffy like Reanimator and Storm. If you have the Thalia it gets a whole lot easier but without it you are kind of a sitting duck in those match ups. Shardless can be pretty fun to play against too. Infect though is probably hard in the earlier game and easier in the late game. Thalia just feels like the glue that holds the deck together to be honest.

Mirage confirmed for best forests

I ended up getting myself an early Christmas present. I now have 4x Wasteland.

Nice. I took advantage of the sales that were still going from Black Friday on CoolStuffInc a few days ago and bought myself $150 in cards. Mostly modern but I grabbed a playset of Ice Age Jester's Cap and Mirage Enlightened Tutor. I had to grab the Jester's Cap just because it was one of my favorite cards as a kid and I never got one.

Why doesn't your camera mirror the picture. Or why is the picture mirrored.

Still waiting on a Jitte and Crucible from Singapoor... damn US Customs.

Building Esper Stoneblade.

Proxies or legit?

No fake shit here.

Damn brah should have ordered them from here, unless you got a really great deal. I never order anything from outside of the US or Canada because of customs. I got some cards from Australia once and they cut open the boxes and messed them all up.

They're Japanese, like the rest of my Legacy cards.

>tfw I won an auction for a playset of cards I needed from Canada with free shipping for 13 cents and the guy had to pay $1.20 postage to ship them to me

He must have been so pissed when he saw I won.

Stoneblade fug yeah, definetley one of my fave decks

Do you have anything spicy in your list? Or something spicy you wanna try in it? I figure Gideon ally of zendikar could be decent in it

hello legacy general, modern babby here with matchreport blogpost

>tfw playing first game with tin fins after goldfishing it all day, kind of worried because the draws seemed wildly inconsistent
>go up against br reanimator who opens with double chancellor of the annex reveal and swamp. bummer, i had the turn 1 kill in hand
>play marsh flats and pass because i thought i'd try to hit a second land before going off for some reason. didn't realize i could just cast my chrome mox into the chancellor tax and kill him
>dude lands griselbrand, draws 7, passes
>try to ponder for second land to thoughtseize before i try to combo, forgetting it will get countered. then he reminds me that he's just BR and has no instant-speed interaction so i imprint the thoughtseize and kill him
>game 2, no grave hate so i bring in 2 swords. opening hand is 2 ritual, land, brainstorm, entomb, goryo's vengeance, reanimate. seems good
>he plays swamp and passes
>i crack my delta, he entombs griselbrand in response.
>read Reanimate again.
>GGWP

i think i got really lucky but that was honestly a blast

>sold my dredge
>now I can make Nic Fit for Legacy, play modern I'd probably make a Mono U Tron or Eldrazi or make my edh decks way better

Tough choice. I love commander, but I want to play something else, and there's only one legacy tournament here per month.

Another modern babby sees the light. Tin fins actually is suprisingly consistent in my opinion so if you keep playing with it you'll probably find some of the inconsistency goes away as you get a better feel for the lines.

how do you play wish ad nauseam? I have been meaning to have a look. I never really got into it as glittering wish is a sorcery and as such I cannot go off at instant speed, which is probably more than 50% of the time for me.

Lands is an interesting deck, I have everything for it except manabonds and one dual land. It is most definitely viable and fun to pilot. Have fun.

Your opponent sounds like a dummy but gj anyway.

What nic fit build are you rolling with? I'm splashing red for huntmaster, broodmate and kolaghans command. Also because ive had an unlimited taiga sitting in my binder since rtr

None yet, I'm still thinking of what I should do with this money. I could also build Eldrazy Stompy, it's easy to convert it to Eldrazi Tron if I want to play Modern. I never had so much money before to work with, you know? Now I have a bunch of cool choices and i don't know which one is the best for me.

Well legacy stompy and modern tron are two completely different animals. Stompy shares with eldrazi taxes.

I'm building nic fit for more casual games since nobody enjoys matchups with my other decks, miracles and oops.

At risk of talking too much about modern, the wish version can still go off at instant speed. It plays a bring to light in the board to wish for to cast ad naus. m.reddit.com/r/ModernMagic/comments/4b6nob/glittering_wish_ad_nauseam_tournament_report/
My list has a better manabase. Botanical sanctum helps a bit.

>tfw the Modern thread copied our OP layout
We're gonna make Veeky Forums great again

>thread rule 3: don't turn into the modern general
I guess it's OK if they turn into us?

>Less bitching
>Less shitposting
>Trips being used as moot intended

Futures so bright I need sunglasses

So Im working on a nic fit list for Friday and I'm splashing red for some local meta decisions. Lots of grind and midrange, only one combo player and I already have those silver bullets in the side. What are some spicy 3-5 drops I could run? I could do 4 seige rhino but that's boring.

They actually share a lot of cards, it's mostly the manabase that's different, and you can add mimics and endless ones to the deck because of Eye of Ugin.

Acidic Slime is another artifact removal stick further up the chain than Rec Sage if you need it, Kalitas, Traitor is good, Huntmaster, Thragtusk, EWit. Can you post your list? I've been interested in Nic Fit for a while.

I must be thinking of a different tron. Is there a new one besides R/G and U in modern now? Haven't kept up with any of that in a while.

Eldrazi stompy is pretty fun. We have a local guy that plays it and the deck is super solid. Pretty great if you are just getting into legacy since its just a beefier version of the standard/modern equivalents.

It's not really known, but I found it really interesting. I love colorless decks in general.
Take a look mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-eldrazi-tron-26966#online

If I were to build Eldrazi Stompy, I'd have to go for Crystal Veins instead of City of Traitors. My budget isn't that big.

>red
>spicy
Arc Slogger

I'm actually giving kol command a slot for extra hate on top of gsz for a rec sage. Kills a lot in my local shop and recurs creatures back. I think the stone worst it does is be a bad blighting but I can't imagine a matchup at my shop where I'd do that.

I'm phoneposting at work so I'll need to get back with the list tonight. Basically red is command, hunt master and broodmate. I have 4 gsz, 3 abrupts, flip garruk and sorin, lord of innistrad as my walkers. rest is the normal stuff you'd expect in nic fit. I'm really just trying to slot in spicy tech

You can go Corrupted Crossroads to have Devoid cards.

Welcome to Legacy!

Seriously, welcome. It's awesome in here.

>Nic Fit, Miracles, and Oops

I like your style.

There's also mono green storm but its more of a joke deck than anything else.

Dissapointing. 2 Extra mana for 1 +1 that can't miss, but you lose the choice on which it is and with a well-built deck you won't miss often with AoB +1. Also concerning is that you HAVE to put the card in your hand, I've had plenty of times I've +1'd AoB and put all cards on bottom to stay safe under a Bridge. Being able to come down and -3 immediately is cool and all but not being able to be played T2 is not.

This is relevant to my interests.

Also, bumping for input on Reanimator. Just filled out the quad Reanimate, so at this point I'm looking for input on the sideboard and alternative cheating-out-a-dude strategies (Show and Tell, etc.).

I'm going to hope really hard that that's just for the attrocious duel deck thing since they also spoiled a second ajani with it. The real one will almost certainly be better.

isn't that just the planeswalker deck one? they're supposed to be shitty. there'll be a better one in the actual set. it's like how there were two Chandra and two nissa in kaladesh.

It's basic land based, goes off earliest at turn 4(usually 5-6) after giving your opponent a turn with heartbeat of spring and uses recycle as an engine.

Ah, I forgot that was a thing. Fingers crossed for a 4 CMC Tezz in the real set then.

Thinking about selling my legacy manaless dredge so I cad afford the upgrades for legacy merfolk. Should I?

Don't get too excited, I hear they're making +1/+1 counters an evergreen mechanic for the first ability of all Planeswalkers of all colors.

Manaless is in a pretty good spot right now, actually. I'd stick with it for the time being.

By the way, if you've got Force of Will for your sideboard, the hardest part's out of the way. You might want to look for decks with stuff that'll have crossover value, rather than just switching decks entirely. Of course, manaless doesn't cross with much except Oops and LED Dredge, so it's tough to say what the best approach would be.

i've been jamming grishoalbrand in modern and i think that's what happened to me there. the legacy cantrips take getting used to as well. the difference between brainstorm/ponder and faithless looting/night's whisper feels very large

kek he said he was also new. game 2 he had a thoughtseize he really should have led on

thanks. i've been lurking a bit and it feels like the opposite of the modern general

Yes feel the power coursing through you. Legacy changes a person. It can be hard to go back to your old life.

Anyone interested a doomsday puzzle?

>+1: reveal the top card of your library until a card named 'Torrential Gearhulk' is revealed and put that card into your hand
>-3: do nothing
>-8: win the mirror

top snooze lads

At this point I've all but accepted that unless there are design mistakes there will never again be a good Planeswalker.

you simply need to adjust what your definition of 'good' is.

Probably not. You only see pushed Walkers once a block, if that.

What, Esper Miracles? Nah, it's just a stock list derived from the current iterations played by Japanese pilots (but instead of 2x Tasigur I'm going to a 1-1 split of Tasigur and TNN). I haven't decided what my SB is going to have yet outside of the 1 Crucible. I'm sure I'll add in some number of Zealous Persecutions.

>Yes feel the power coursing through you. Legacy changes a person. It can be hard to go back to your old life.
You never realize truly how shit Serum Visions is until you've casted a Preordain.

Hit me up, it's been too long.

I am wondering if there will be a blue version of "Yahenni’s Expertise" with something like

Instant

1UU
Return a target permanent to its owners hand. You may cast an instant spell with converted mana cost 2 or less from you hand without paying its mana cost.

That's exponentially better than the 2BB card, so I doubt it.

not really, look at massacre for example, which is 2BB and you can play for free and does -2/-2. The new card is actually better and massacre is considered a must for storm sideboard.

You didn't even need to play Legacy to know that if you played standard Delver pre-bannings.

>there will never be a Standard like THS-KTK again

If Storm needs to pay 4 mana to boardwipe then Storm has already lost that game. Massacre being free (or {1}) is an insane benefit.

Also, whatever happened to folded guy when he found out his cards were fake?

if you think casting it for free is good, then think about getting another spell for free in storm...

Alright pal here ya go. My list: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-03-16-ddft/

The puzzle: it's game 1 vs Rug delver. They have lethal on board, a volc and a trop untapped, and a spell snare and a daze in hand. You have island, swamp, volc, and your hand is LED x2, Ritual, Brainstorm x2, doomsday. What do you do to try to navigate through that countermagic?

Did you mean SOM-INN?

Glad I didn't play back then, considering how much infect makes me vehemently mad.

RTR-THR best standard

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nicfitdraft4-1/

Here is the list promised earlier.

Got a foil vindicate I wanted to slot in but not sure where

A 4-mana spell that you're paying full value for should win you the game, especially in Storm.
What is my GY?

Assume doomsday gives you access to every card not on the battlefield or in your hand.

Life total?