EDH/Commander General

"Too many fucking combos" edition

Old thread: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r0XisnwaFAY
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/teferi-takes-too-many-turns/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tazri-zendikar-assemble/
youtube.com/watch?v=KnrGMHhnqrw
youtube.com/watch?v=jbwDKtnKkbc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I would cut the shitty individual creatures and focus more on flooding the board with tokens. You should include more draw/filtering to help you get a big board state for Zada. You're mono R, run Ruination.

Soul Sculptor and Trapped in the Moon can make it a non-creature.

Azusa is the stronger of the two ramp commanders, Titania is stompy. All three can be good.

>Too many fucking combos
Let me tell you about My Pal Slobad

Tell me. I'm not impressed right now

We've had this discussion a million times, it's just a mono red artifact deck like any other except that daretti can die a lot in multiplayer games whereas Slobad isn't a high priority target

Also he's a free sac outlet

Rubinia is straight up downgrade from Yasova, but Merieke is better. Memnarch is THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST of stealers.
At least Yasova enables some multijank like Bazaar Trader ro sate my inner Johnny.

iirc while they might build similarly due to being monored artifact decks, the playstyles are actually pretty different. Daretti is a stax deck with a midrange-y value driven plan B whereas from what I know Slobad in his truest form is pure combo using his free sacrifice

Cool idea from the last thread. Theme songs for your EDH Decks?

Pic related: youtube.com/watch?v=r0XisnwaFAY

Requesting really janky deck ideas. I'm talking about mono-green stax or something equally garbage.

Added a forest now, should I go up to 2 forests?
I have Confidant in already, but I cut Tutelage. I'm honestly not sure what beatdown to add though, could you enlighten me? There was that one cheap buttbreather but I can't remember it's name
wew lad, turboscrub detected. This is meant to be a good and competitive deck to go alongside my combo, control, and voltron decks.
After all 4 are finalised and built I will build fun decks that are sub-optimal. That's why I've been asking for terrible deck ideas.

>I'm talking about mono-green stax or something equally garbage.
Yisan :^)

>Requesting really janky deck ideas. I'm talking about mono-green stax or something equally garbage.

marchesa threaten, dethrone and sac

that doesn't even sound garbage
> :^)
no, ;^)) to u ser

Hello /edhg/, I don't typically share or comment b/c no time but today is different. Too many combos, meet your worst nightmare: the one where you never get to play your combos because my turn is more like five in a row (the best fun!). Helmed by the best WalkMander, Baldy Mc Fuckedthetimestreams.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/teferi-takes-too-many-turns/

>that doesn't even sound garbage

it is janky as fuck

you need:

>marchesa, who is not allowed to die at any point
>a threaten spell
>a dethrone target or a way to get counters on marchesa and the thing you threaten
>a sac outlet

once you have all that, you can steal a total of 1 creature until you draw more threaten effects

Post upgrades for K&T freon that won't completely exhaust my $55 budget. Pls

You can absolutely make mono green stax. Titania is your commander and you win with all the free tokens she makes when you crack fetches, Dustbowl, etc. Yes, run the green fetch lands.

Sounds like a Dong Zhou deck I brewed.
I think I'm looking for something really terrible to overcompensate for my other decks.
Burgeoning (I don't know it might have been in the deck), Assault formation, Gahiji, Sun Titan, Rampaging Baloths, Cyclonic Rift, Coutnerspell
Ah shit, I forgot that that's a real deck.

Should I build Vish kal, Uril or Nekusar for my next deck? I already have Kalitas and Thraximundar and I really like Thraximundar.

dont build nekusar

Nekusar for strong, vish kal for unique, fuck My Name is Uril

Ignoring this irrational hater here
building Uril makes the most sense of those options because you don't have any green or white, but Uril isn't that much fun desu, build a different GW deck

You need some green and white in your life.
But of those options I would build Vish Kal because I have never seen him. Otherwise Uril for more colour diversity

I'm assuming this isn't bait. I'm not gonna even try to pick apart the deck and give advice. Maybe later.

Absolute trash.

>Uril
Not my top pick for Multiplayer. Unless you play smart and pack ways to make sure Uril doesnt get swept off the board, you're going to have a hard time trying to take out 3 or more people.
>Nekusar
Nekusar will always over time turn into one of two things: a glorified Burn deck or a Storm deck. Theres no two ways around it.
>Vish Kal
Expensive as fuck, but as a curve topper he can work. Having a no-cost sac outlet allows you for some combo shenanigans thats accessible in the Command Zone.

In the end, I would pick Vish Kal. You can do some nasty things with him and even so much win with him if you have the right board state when he resolves. On the top of my head: Yosei + Sigil of the New Dawn is a soft lock, Sun Titan + Angelic Blessing is a perma boardwipe with Vish Kal swinging for lethal.

It's not. Been trying to get the precon to do better and so far it's consistently performing well. Not great but definitely not bad. Group games are the best because somehow no one expects the artifacts and extra turns to be as lethal as it is. Shit surprised me. I'd rather use Tezzeret as a commander if possible b/c his +1 ability is what ends up propelling this deck.

Your input is so helpful.

>somehow no one expects the artifacts and extra turns to be as lethal as it is

that's interesting, because those are the biggest warning bells for me in terms of threat assessment

i actually always just try to kill the blue artifact player as soon as possible because 1) blue artifact autism wins games out of nowhere and 2) losing to blue artifact autism fucking sucks

Thanks, I put my greatest effort in my post.
All kidding aside, your group seem pretty bad.
Artifacts are probably the strongest permanent type in the whole format, so I would expect really intense shitflinging on either R or U artifacts. Extra turns I don't care about, since they're usually played by annoying faggots who want to jerk off, at least around here. I wouldn't mind otherwise, but they always refuse to shortcut and are slow as fuck anyway not to mention the constant rewinds since they can't play for shit.

Someone mentioned Kemba as a commander in the last thread and I thought it might be something kinda neat to do that's different from my usual decks.
When it comes to equipment decks, though, I don't know much. What are some essentials I need to include?

Ok, here's my advice. Teferi is run because his -1 is retarded
Cuts (34):
elemental, djinn, sirens, epitap, faerie mechanist, fathom seer, fog bank, leviathan, ixidron, pretender, padeem, owl, thief, sphinx, willbender, fools demise, spirit away, call to mind, ghostform, prosperity, artistry, sleep, train of thought, cackling counterpart, hydrolash, mana leak, turn to frog, dreamstone hedron, sapphire medallion, swiftfoot boots, unwinding clock, ur golems eye, zoetic cavern

Adds :
part the waterveil, plea for power, temporal trespass, walk the aeons, fact or fiction, compulsive research, condescend, thran dynamo, careful consideration, aetherize, future sight, wash out, impulse, brainstorm, ponder, preordain, alhammarets archive, windfall, rite of replication
and some more good draw and counterspells and removal

Stoneforge mystic
Stonehewer giant
Masterwork of ingenuity
Steelshaper's gift
Darksteel plate
Puresteel paladin
Lightning greaves
Leonin shikari

monowhite has a lot of card draw problems but they can some what be shored up through equipments.

Skullclamp
Sword of Fire and Ice
Mask of Memory
Rogue's Gloves

Most of these double in effectiveness with the application of double strike. Also a lot of people forget about Stone Haven Outfitter.

need some suggestions for my tazri deck folks

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tazri-zendikar-assemble/

Who would be the best choice of Gruul commander for a Johnny-style player, with a healthy side helping of Timmy-style?

>ctrl f food chain
>0 results
Son, I am disappoint.

R/G Werewolf tribal helmed by Ulrich.
Must run every single werewolf available in colors.

That's easy, it's Wort.

Any and all sources of equipment based card draw
Mentor of the Meek
Raksha Golden Cub
Really, you're going cat tribal so Coat of Arms, Coordinated Barrage, Crib Swap, etc. work
Wide buff equipment like Sword of the Paruns and Dragon Throne
Sigarda's Aid

Rosheen X cost tribal, including Hydras, mostly Timmy
Mine and Denn landfall shenanigans
Wort the Raidmother big spells, again mostly Timmy
Or just build a Timmy-Johnny deck with a versatile commander like Radha Heir to Keld

>Requesting really janky deck ideas
Sun Quan mono-blue aggro, i.e. Krakens on Horses
Lin-Sivvi Rebel tribal, or rebels under a better commander like Karador
Silas Renn + Sidar Kondo double-striking ninjas
Opal-Eye invincible Pariahs.dec
Thrasios + _____ Training Grounds.dec

Or just do a familiar archetype under a less familiar commander, like Marton Stromgald Sligh

Poor Hedningarna, Finntroll really saw more attention with that song.

>Playing Breya against Sliver Queen goodstuff, Oloro pillowfort/artifacts, and Animar lol colorless creatures
>get out conjurer's closet and godo, grab cranial plating, and equio it and loxodon warhammer to sharuum.
>can't hit oloro and sliver queen isn't threatening to me
>kill off animar, sliver queen player decides to exile my sharuum at the behest of the olorofag
>next turn olorofag dumps his entire hand and gets the sword of the meek/time sieve combo

I don't know whether I'm mad or not but I fucking hate idiots who play this bullshit. Time for a 3 month break

food chain tazri isn't ___fun___ though

from pain springs enlightenment, young one

Yidris Piracy
Yes/No?

Fuck off chaosfag

If quick combos are a thing in your meta then you gotta run your counterspells and split seconds, simple as that.

>>If quick combos are a thing in your meta then you gotta run your counterspells and split seconds, simple as that.

the problem with combo metas is that you'll be holding 1 or 2 anti-combo cards but you'll have 3 combo players to worry about. disrupt one, and you'll just put yourself and that player behind. the other two opponents will be in a better position. the best way to deal with fast combos in a meta is to play even faster combos, which makes games even worse

This is my dream commander. Thinking of doing proxying it up.

Critique?

Custom cards aren't welcome here. Also your syntaxis wrong in multiple spots.

>its your fault the other player messed with someone else over the person who combo'd

i have major disgust for blue flicker autism so my opinion may be biased:

it's brago 2.0 that can protect itself from spot removal and board wipes at instant speed. it also has spell recursion and creature removal stuck to it for some reason. overall your card seems overdesigned and pretty op. you put him on a shitty body to compensate for his ridiculous abilities but that doesn't make him any less stupid crazy

CLAMBASSADORS MOTHERFUCKER!!

idk how you derived that insinuation from my post

Aven Mindcensor, Containment Priest, maybe Sanctum Prelate are all good. Where are your elves for the ramp, pilgrim of avacyn, elves of deep shadow? At least have one combo win if you want to be competitive, you're in great colors for that.

Well, of course if you play at a competitive table, combos will do well in a multiplayer format with 40 life. If this is your meta then you'll just have to give in or find another one.

Generally, though, things aren't as bad as people complain. Your scenario involves combos being completed at the same time; otherwise you can kneecap one combo, then draw a few combos and establish more board position before another becomes a threat. You also make it sound as if you're the only player with decent threat assessment and are not trusting the other players to stop combos as they pop up.

get out

Draw a few cards, rather.

This is stupidly broken, like your brain

How do you guys brew him? I've been thinking of piloting him since SOI spoilers, but I don't quite know how.

Edhrec can help you

Gitrog is basically a combo commander but lots of his combos are not quite infinite but rather just a lot of recurring value over time, if you prefer not to run infinite combos

You want to take advantage of his last ability here, drawing lots of cards with free discard outlets like putrid imp to which you feed lands, and free land sac outlets like constant mists and Zuran orb

A lot of people run crucible because it's so good with just gitrog in play, upkeep you sac a land and draw a card, then you replay the land you sac'd + another one and stay ahead on lands

A common way that people win with gitrog is set up putrid imp (or wild mongrel, etc) + dakmor salvage + gitrog to dredge most of their library, then use worm harvest to make a million tokens

Another card popular in gitrog is the new splendid reclamation

>dream commander takes the meaning of balance and snaps it in half over its knee
Get out and never return

>Gary Stu, Imperial Magister

Pretty much this, but I don't really agree no-profit discard outlets are worth it because endstep does it for free.

So you're saying you can just combo off during cleanup step by discarding dakmor salvage and dredging it repeatedly? Or just generally relying purely on having lots of cards in hand due to gitrog and discarding lands to draw that way?

I've seen a gitrog deck that was valuing really hard with wild mongrel, do you think that's not a good way to go about it?

It's often not no-profit if you're replacing the worst card in your hand with a new one.

Well if you know how cleanup step works.

>cleanup 8 cards in hand
>discard down to 7
>land gets put into graveyard, trigger gets put on stack
>draw a card
>repeat cleanup since you have again 8 cards in hand...
Dakmor Salvage helps of course, but as long as you keep drawing and discarding lands you can keep going.

Right I get that

I'm asking if you think it's better to rely entirely on that and have nothing in your deck that's there purely to discard lands

this does waaayyy too much. with those abilities, it would only be okay if it was like an 0/1 that costed like 4WWUUBB (as in nearly uncastable) because it is stupid overpowered while also being clunky as fuck. not elegant design, not flavourful, not anything good.

do not run this, do not run any custom cards.

Which do I build for next week, lads?

>URBG wheel chain deck feat. Kydele
>endgame is to stick a Mycosynth Lattice and gen a ton of easily convertible mana with wheels and artifact untappers
>chain into any number of wincons

>BUG land combo feat. Thrasios
>endgame is to stick training grounds and either heartstone or lotus cobra
>chain into the 55+ lands in the deck
>amulet of vigor to take advantage of bounce lands
>squandered resources and splendid reclamation
>cofferborg to generate massive value
>easy lab maniac x doomsday finish

Both sound cool, just brainstorm both and pick the one that looks more consistent and smooth

>Wort
Aw man that one looks fun. Bigass Fireballs and token bumrush could be a good time

I wasn't saying you shouldn't have any discard outlets. I was saying I don't really agree with the free discard outlets where you get no value in return since endstep does that job without needing the card slots and having to find the cards. Only benefit is having the train going on your mainphase or at instant speed, which I think is perfectly tenable.

Now, for example Raven's Crime is more like the additional discard outlets I would consider.

How many lands in a deck are necessary to justify running Burgeoning? I've seen it run in decks like Omnath, Gitrog, and Child of Alara which focus heavily on land. But my Atraxa deck is looking at 40 lands (I usually run 34-38 depending on the average CMC) with more slow lands than I am usually comfortable with and I am wondering if it would be a nice early-game play.

Oh okay I gotcha

I think Skirge familiar is popular

>still missing the point
Scrambleverse, Warp World, Whims of Fate, Chaos Warp and the like are all exactly how design wanted Red to answer enchantments you bringing up a brown way to take care of it proves you aren't understanding the argument

It's pretty bad but here's a few suggestions to make it less broken:
-Scrap the leave the battlefield trigger. It seems to not have a purpose outside of just being OP.
-the Ghostway stapled to it is just OP. If you have them enter play tapped and also have the ability force you to discard a card as an added cost, that might be a bit better.
-You could, instead of bringing the spell to hand, exile it with your commander and pay a cost (like sacrificing a non-token creature) to cast it. suggesting that the skulls in the image are from the human-ish catalysts for his spells.

It looks like you're really focused on a flicker commander but the black identity just seemed to be there so you can play Esper spellslinger with it.

If you want a spellslinger commander, try something with counters. An example:
"Whenever an instant or sorcery you control causes another creature to leave the battlefield, [this] gets an Omen Counter. Remove 3 Omen Counters from [this], WUB: You may cast target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard this turn without paying its mana cost. If you do, Exile it. Activate this ability only once each turn."
-It rewards you for doing different things with spells (Flicker, Control, Bouncing, Kill Spells)
-It's ability requires some start up which allows your opponents a chance to kill it.
-It has a vulnerability which other colors can deal with.

How to close out games with Derevi Stax?

Would you cry foul and whine about lolrandumb upon casting Warp World in Wort deck where it's a major part of the gameplan and planning to get massive value out of it?

This post goes to show that shitters have no concept of balance and are responsible for the format being in such an awful state of degeneracy.

it's no worse than a board wipe. it doesn't even take that long to resolve unlike scrambleverse

play your turns out real slow and flick your cards a lot

if your group doesn't scoop and kick you out by your 3rd solitaire turn then they deserve to win

the only people that hate Warp World are the exact people the card was designed to hose

anybody know a good song i can use for the name of my Gonti deck its mostly flicker sac and reanimate for etb triggers

i went on youtube for ideas and picked the first song in my recommendations

Close the window then feed your cats and blog about how lonely you are without any friends.

>sac and reanimate

"Buried underground
But I'll keep coming"

like pottery

>jump into multiplayer match with my Thada Adel
>some guy is playing Breya, Etherium Shaper
>free artifacts
>attack them when Thada comes off summoning sickness and take a Gilded Lotus for mana
>"hurr you should have taken boots" nah I'm fine with this
>swing at them my next turn and they insta ragequit
>everyone just laughs at them and how salty they are in chat

breya is honestly such a bullshit commander

Literally fecal matter

she seems like the epitome of a greedy combo commander. everyone who plays her seems to just put in a bunch of expensive artifacts, then durdle around while being ignored for most of the game while others are playing and then possibly win with some dumb combo

i could be wrong tho

Theme song for my karador deck
and theme song for breya deck (mostly because the song is ridiculous and how long my turns can take with that deck)
youtube.com/watch?v=jbwDKtnKkbc

Scrambleverse doesn't take that long to resolve unlike Thieves' Auction

A friend of mine gave me Saskia Sealed deck

I've tried to upgrade it into something good.

I can't

I have full Rakdos. Xenagos. Kalemne. Horde of Notions. decks

She's combo on a stick. I made her a hard combo control commander and it's pretty true that I durdle and board wipe until I win with some infinite combo like Magosi take turns or sharuum bitter ordeal

I'm going awakening infect and life shenanigans.

but it won't be good.

>bitter ordeal
can someone explain to me why people run this card. yes, if you have an infinite sac engine you can exil everybody's libraries. but if you can't get the combo off, then it feels like a dead draw almost?

As A Person who has breya artifact shennanigins I am guilty of that

Now EDH General I need some help deciding which commander to brew next. I currently am brewing colorless Kozzilek distortion but that has been on backburner for a while. I currently have no true black commander decks and need recommendations. Currently looking at Kukusho Evening star but have no idea what I am doing when it comes to black and am open to suggestions.

Gitrog player here, played him in EDH tourneys at my local shop and actually one a few, here's some tips.

>play an abnormally large amount of lands (40-45)
>dredge is your friend. Life from the Loam and Dakmor Salvage are auto includes, but GGT and Stinkweed Imp are also pretty good
>sudden reclemation plus Amulet of Vigor late game is just gravy
>Oblivion Crown on Gitrog is an amazing win con
>Expect Gitrog to die fast and often if your meta gets to know him. Prevent this with Greaves/Asceticism.
>Play OG Ulamog/Kozilek in order to safely wheel through your entire deck with aforementioned dredge cards.

what're you buying your group, /edhg/?

Besides the infinite I occasionally run into it and wipe out win cons I know are around. My breya game has a lot of sac in it so I can hit 3 other combo pieces pretty frequently.

for Christmas, that is