/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Druid UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/druid-circles-and-wild-shape
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's clerics.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread Have you converted a campaign-in-progress from another edition (or pf) to 5e? What were the hardest parts to change?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/mikemearls/status/805278241804066817
imgur.com/a/hzuo4
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clergy
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fighter UA is tomorrow. Be sure to fill out the survey for the druid circles when it drops.

is the result for the bard surveys out yet?

They're doing surveys and releases so fast that I don't think they've even looked at the past survey results yet. They'll probably look at all of them in one big go later on.

I am playing a Glamour, its lit as fuck.Only reason party is alive today are those fucking temp hp and the move they get when you use it. Stupidly good

I want to rock them bards hard, but it's like

None of them are as good as Lore, because none of them let you use your own inspiration

Instead of using the tedium of tracking ammunition, what do you think about instead using something akin to Edge of the Empire's ammo tracking for basic ammunition, excluding special ones.

Something akin to
>If you roll a natural 1 on a Ranged Attack, you run out of ammunition.

And then you off-set that with an item like
>Spare Quiver / Slingstone Bag / whatever. Some amount of gold. When you would otherwise run out of ammunition, you may expend this item to continue on as usual. A character may only have [however many] back-ups on them at one time.

How are Wild Magic Sorcerers? Are they fun? Any fun moments you had with one in the party?

Most of the wild magic effects don't really do anything, but the extremely vain elven sorcerer in our party once lost all her hair and had a crisis of faith when it came to using her powers ever since.

my DM won't let me play one because he doesnt want to deal with the shit from the wild magic chart.

>shit
>no
>killing the Wild Sorcerer

i bet you got lightning'd by one didn't you.

If you play a WMS, you have to be prepared to permanently become a blue midget who spits bubbles when you try to speak.

Look it's this shit again.

Changed Iron Body to only be half damage from Cold, Fire, and Lightning.

Considering making it so instead of getting all the shit for free on level up, you can pick WIS mod abilities per level (Except Martial Arts, which you'd get for free).

Something like "When you hit 3, 6, 10, and 14 you can pick abilities based on their point cost. You gain Prof+WISmod points at level 3, 6, 10, and 14" or something, and make some stronger abilities cost more points while weaker flavor ones cost less.

Kinda like a point-costing Invocations system.

As always I'm posting here to get your opinions. If you think it's shit tell why so I can try to unfuck it.

I will shit on that UA

Remember to rate it negatively so wizards realizes anti undead classes are boring. Also that anti undead classes shouldn't deal necrotic damage.

Fey druid was cool though.

Sold!

So I've been fiddling around with custom archetypes. I tried to make this one for a fighter specialized in killing mages and magical creatures at the request of one of my players. I know it's not up to snuff with the exact wordings of WOTC, but in your opinion does it seem a bit too easily abusable? I'm on the border about the level 18 one since damage immunity in any form is rare for players, but resistance seems too weak.

Are there any pre-written AP's which would work well as one-on-one campaigns?

kind of annoyed at my DM desu. His girlfriend plays a WMS and when she died he used ressurect instead of reincarnate because she wanted to keep being a haughty elf. Whereas I get shit upon with all manner of permanent character effects and more mutations than a Thousand sons marine and he'll just say they make me unique. Right now because of a ressurection spell and a deal with asmodeus I have, in order:
>A skeleton hand that can no longer cast magic through but it does necrotic damage on touch, this is the only change I like
>I'm 14 years old all of a sudden because of a botched ressurection
>Because my DM homebrews that people who know me have to give up personal effects to aid in the ressurection ritual, I have a shield in my chest. A wooden shield, embedded in my chest, sticking out like a fucking reverse hunchback.
>I'm also Chaotic Good instead of Lawful Evil because apparently holy magic has adverse effects on evil characters.

Your DM is a jerk

jesus...and i thought my DM was shit.

Well i have some good news for you. I know a solution to your problem, because it was the solution to my shit dm.

YOU are the DM your group needs.

Tell us about your shit DM

There were some old AD&D modules written for 1on1, but not much recently. I guess you could take a standard module and scale back the number or level of enemies? Or you could let the player start at a higher level and play through a lower level campaign that way.

If you really insist on doing a 1 on 1 party just pick something designed for a small party and give them one or two NPC party members.

You could even let them think of what they might be, ie: a Wizard with two Warforged bodyguards/servants

Just don't make your DMPCs unlikeable mary sues.

your DM is shit

do you even have fun with him? dm/ gf groups are the worst.

eh, it's either him or no DnD so I pick this. The only character I enjoy is the dwarf fighter in the party, who is played by a total bro who I talk military shit with all the time. I would DM myself but my memory is shit so I'd end up fucking it up. And yes, DM/GF groups are the worst, my sole consolation at the end of this campaign is that i'll ascend to daemonhood and can burn down the forest home of the smuggest prick elves i've ever had the displeasure to meet and the bitch won't be able to do anything about it because her own backstory says that she's forbidden from ever stepping foot in her own lands again because of a curse.

Lol, i've done so alot. I didn't know he was shit untill 5eg told me he was shit. But i'll give you some examples.

>Be Hill Dwarf Druid
>Start at level 1
First dungeon in campaign is the lost kingdom my dwarf is from. Was buried in a landslide during a war and went into a druidic hibernation for 1000s of years until excavated in a mining operation.
I get angry at other players when they loot shit because this is essentially my character's home. But i wink at them and say
>My druid sees something off in the corner and is reminiscing about this fortress. he isnt paying attention
To let them loot shit.

I figure I am roleplaying well, this totally fits my character. His goal was to find and restore this fallen dwarven kingdom after being asleep for so long.

Few levels later everyone's got some magic items tailored to them, except for me. I ask the DM about it
>I thought you didn't want any items cause in the first dungeon you didn't take any loot

When we were in this dwarven ruin there was a mural of a Dwarf and a Silver Dragon looking at each other in a respectful manner. My dwarf looked longingly at this mural. We are at what seems to be the end of the Dwarven Ruin. I actually had a Staff at this point that was magical. Though i took it begrudgingly because I wanted something magical. I think it was a Staff of Withering or something like that based on the description.
Find Silver Dragon in the dungeon. Seems to be a child. DM describes how she gets mad at me and gestures towards the staff.
Being a Dwarf of this fortress and wanting to restore it to former greatness i want to foster good relations with any Silver Dragons. I hand over the staff. The Dragon destroys the staff.
DM calls me a beta.

>still no mystic vol 3

It's been pushed back
twitter.com/mikemearls/status/805278241804066817

Crawford is fixing Mearls shit

>Actively discouraging non-murderhobo mindsets

Literally negative levels of DM skill

Psionics when?

I have to pick a secret for my next campaign. I'm new to d&d and no clue what to pick.

I'm a dwarven cleric under hercules. My background is folk hero and I was previously part of an orc slave encampment

Any suggestions?
What did you guys choose for your pc?

Agh. I'm playing a Mystic and I've been waiting for this update for a while. It being pushed back is going to have to force me to multiclass soon and I really didn't want to do that.

>implying your actions won't mystically break the curse

Man what a shit DM, especially after you stared at his murals and nostalgia'd rather than loot in your homeland.

Not enough DMs to go around though I guess, so he gets away with it?

Perhaps he sold his own people into slavery because he believed if they didn't willingly go they'd all be butchered

I was in a similiar situation, but I got lucky and the friend was able to get us into a good group of people.

Just don't place too much stock in your master plan. The DM already shows her character favour and might throw in a plot bit to remove the curse, and also find new ways to fuck you over. That's how it went in my game. The GF hated me and was terrible with meta and bad at role play so that added to the mess. Mixed with DM favoritism and you're screwed in the long run.

I know. I'm just hoping they forget about that tidbit, because we're busy saving the world and are very far away from there, so that there'll be no time for anything that won't be pulled out of his ass.

Oooo that's good. Thanks user

>Being a Dwarf of this fortress and wanting to restore it to former greatness i want to foster good relations with any Silver Dragons. I hand over the staff. The Dragon destroys the staff.
DM calls me a beta.

Tell the DM that he's being a collosal douche for no reason, explain how the actions he's punishing fit in with your backround and how you want to seriously roleplay it.

Alternativley you can roll with the punches and try to get a reroll through death or retirement.

Continued from
We had a TPK later in the campaign. In a cavern underwater and we got rekt by Lizardfolk. Mostly we died because new players got caught up in the power fantasy and ran into a choke point, got surrounded, and died. Then the remaining 2 players (myself and a monk) couldnt get away due to being in a cavern pocket deep under a lake.

In anycase afterwards the DM made a concious effort to tell us how this was all our fault and how "I don't want to hear any complaints about this, you all got yourself into this."

The same thing happened recently with a beholder encounter.

Beholder is in Magical darkness. Shooting beams out at us. We can't see in there, firing cantrips with disadvantage. We're basically all paralyzed and stunned and frightened and shit. Afterwards he says "this was a regular level difficulty encounter". Though he later admitted it was actually a "Hard CR" for our level, but he never realized having every PC attacking with disadvantage kinda makes it waaay harder. Especially when the Beholder is just rolling normally.

The hilarious thing is that he said before we started "i want a serious campaign, no murder-hobos or bullshit characters. Which essentially meant for me nothing non-human looking. No Dragonborn, or anything that is some weird monstrous-humanoid. I don't really care if it "doesn't fit my setting" when your players want to play something you make it fit, you find a compromise. He just tells me "No, you can't play a monster-type character"

Well I am starting a campaign in January. Here is the map. imgur.com/a/hzuo4 80s fantasy themes. Yuan-ti are homebrewed into Snake Vampires. Warforged are Slavers who ride Griffons and drop giant nets the size of football fields on people.

>have a DM that does exclusively Adventure League
>get super screwed in magic items as a fighter in terms of weapons/armor in curse of strahd
>look ahead in the remaining adventures to see what I might get
>literally just a fucking dagger. in the entire AL CoS campaign the only magical weapons are a whip and a dagger.
>by some luck, a guest character from another campaign is brought in to fill in for someone else. he asks to trade that dagger for their magical longsword

>decide to do this and just look up rewards for SKT which he says he wants to do, want to make a dex fighter for this (fighter is my fav class)
>so far i find a mithral splintmail that gives a +1 and a +1 short sword

meh, the armor is equal to plate without the STR requirement or the stealth check disadvantage. this does make it so I don't have to take medium armor master to reach plate in a breastplate. But should anti-magic ever be put into effect, my character is going to be fucked in that armor. The shortsword is meh as well, i could still see myself taking it just for the ability to get past resistances. But even then, maybe i'm not the only fighter, maybe a fighter or paladin really wants that armor, or a rogue wants the shortsword.

I hate adventure league but it's all the DM's will run. Until I got that longsword, the last few adventures I had to ask the cleric to prepare magic weapon, which slightly screwed them over cause now in many fights that is all they could have casted in terms of concentration when they wanted to use other things.

I like free-form cause then you can reward according to party make-up. It may not be the exact weapon someone is using, but the barb/fighter/paladin would be grateful for a +1 morningstar, or a fiery maul or something to that extent. I think that was a terrible oversight from wizards screwing melee classes super hard like that, not to mention AL doesn't let you craft items either (though you probably wouldn't have the in-game time anyways).

I think you're nuts m8.

You'll never be able to burn down elf town. I could be wrong but from what you'll already told me it just wont happen. GUD GUYS and deus ex machina will stop your plans no matter what. is right.

You've got to start DMing for yourself. It's sloppy for a while, but if you got some bro players it should be a banger.

It kinda sounds like you're already at the "I don't really give a fuck" point of this guys campaign, just buy/steal/smoke a DMG and use some of the level 1 adventures in the Fat File that always gets posted at the start of a 5th ed thread.

Settle for better user.

Eight of these dice seems like quite a lot, especially when you can trade them two at a time for d12s of force damage. I would suggest perhaps using the Battlemaster maneuver dice progression instead. You could also add some kind of ribbon at 3rd level.

I would swap the 3rd and 7th level powers, making "dealing extra damage to casters" a more central concept than resisting magic damage. I'd change the targeting and give it progression as well, to something like:
>When you hit a creature with the spellcasting or innate spellcasting ability with a weapon attack, you may expend a power die and add the roll to the attack's damage as force damage. At level 7 you may spend power dice on attacks against fey, monstrosities and undead; at level 10, against aberrations, celestials, elementals and fiends.

Level 7 then becomes something like
>When a ranged spell attack roll is made against you, you may use your reaction to spend a power die and increase your AC against the attack by the number rolled, after seeing the roll but before knowing whether it hits or misses. When you make a saving throw against a spell or spell-like ability, you may use your reaction to spend a power die and add the number rolled to your saving throw; if the spell would let you roll to take half damage, you instead take no damage on a success and only half damage on a failure.

I'll continue when I've thought about the higher levels more.

Ok, I'm probably stating the obvious but your main problem here is there's just way too much going on here. An archetype is meant to modify a class in a certain way, but this is almost enough to make an entirely new class. To start with, Enhanced Focus and Brutal Martial Arts are good ideas, but you could pretty much cull the rest and as cool as "brutal" martial arts sounds you could honestly just say they get the monk ability since it's practically the same.

For 6th level I WOULD say just give them the unarmed magical damage, but I honestly love the +4 to breaking objects since it's very "angry monk"ish. Maybe call it Iron Fist and lump in the magic fists and a +4 to breaking objects? (Don't bother with the portable ram bit, it's unnecessary). Cull the rest.

For 10th level, giving them evasion is a good idea, as is the poison/disease immune but both is a bit much for one level. If you made it "evasion while raging" and kept the immunities that'd be pretty cool, otherwise just change it to evasion and leave it at that. You really don't need GWM procs on 3+ attacks and the wisdom stuff doesn't really fit a barb.

For the final level, you've been pretty concise honestly. I'd recommend taking the two adamantium abilities and combine them into "adamantium body." As far as the extra attack goes, you may want to make it so you only get that while raging, since you're starting to give the guy with bonus damage a ridiculous number of attacks (plus it basically becomes permanent at 20th anyway). Maybe change the damage reduction up to 3 but be pierced by magic weapons, though that's entirely up to preference. If you really want to keep the anti-aging ribbon in go ahead, but get rid of the level 20 bit cause it's unnecessary and we don't need 20th level barbarians getting so angry that they're immortal.

As I said at the start, if you want to include all these features as a character option, you may want to consider creating some new class like a "berzerker" or "furor" or something. Spreading this kinda shit out across class features would be a pretty cool idea, but you simply can't have multiple features on the same level of a class archetype. The only other thing I could think of is making it into a strength-based archetype for monk instead, but I imagine that would be equally hard.

Just don't think I'm trying to shit on your creativity here, I'm just trying to keep it concise and (somewhat) balanced, as has always been the strengths of 5e. Seeing your wall of text gave me 3.5/pf flashbacks and that's a place in my mind I'd rather not revisit.

Hope I helped.

What's a fun way to juice up the Archmage template to represent a secondary BBEG necromancer beyond changing spell selection around? Which monster has good legendary actions to steal for this beside Lich, which I'm using for the primary BBEG already?

Trying to bridge the gap between my sailor Tempest Cleric's background and how he gets to whatever adventure may come his way, would it make sense for him to be a part of a raiding party that was soundly defeated, captured and forced to spend some time in a labor camp type of area? Then his motivation could be to try to find the rest of his crew, so he figures he'd join a group for adventures and gold and information potentially down the line.

What does /5eg/ think of this magic item I made?

Amulet of the Tides
Wondrous item, rare (requires attunement)

This amulet has 15 charges and regains 2d6+3 expended charges daily at dawn. While wearing this amulet and you have a hand free, you can activate it as a bonus action to expend any number of remaining charges when you roll damage for a spell or weapon attack. Choose a number of damage dice equal to the number of charges expended. You may replace the value rolled on each die with the highest value for that die.
Alternatively, you can use your reaction when hit by an attack to expend any number of remaining charges. Choose a number of damage dice equal to the number of charges expended, replacing the value rolled on each die with a 1. You can choose to activate this item after the damage is rolled for the attack.
Activating this amulet requires that you grasp it in your hand. You can not activate the item while incapacitated, restrained, or otherwise unable to move.

I would literally steal the first features from ALL the wizard traditions for an Archmage.

Maybe consider making him a vampire? There's a spellcasting vampire variant on MM pg. 298.

Hmm, at the moment i'm encountering 2 problems that almost feels like i'm in bizarro world.

1st is that i'm DMing for a group and running into problems with a couple that are playing. The girl is a good roleplayer, but is stealing shit from the other players (CN tiefling rogue) "it's what my character would do" kinda shit. The other player is a wizard and he's algud, kinda bland, fun at combat. Problem is now they're being quite bad to one and other. I've done big boy shit like talk to them one at a time and say "be kind to one and other" but they're starting to niggle at one and other again.

Bizzare.

2nd is that i'm with a an old group and a new member playing a CG trickery cleric. It's a female DM and i'm getting away with everything that i do. Honestly i'd go as far as to say it's DM divine favour. Problem is that it's driving some of the spergs nuts. It's getting to the point where 1 of them doesn't want me back at all. (keke his PC is literally a white knight)

I don't think i've ever had to talk to a DM about making some of my plans and shenanigans don't working all the time, but Pally pleb is sick of me breaking into castles and escaping through girls windows.

Bizzare.

Too much math imo also too strong on wizards

It's a bit complicated, and also a bit powerful with too many charges for just being rare.

I got to ask, did the old priest class get swept away by the cleric? Because honestly I want a priest class.

>Just play a cleric

Ok here is where I think you don't understand. Before I played D&D I was aware of at least some fantasy tropes because I played some old rpg's in the 90s. Your classes were usually just warrior, thief, wizard, and priest. The priest, as far as I remember, played like a wizard but with divine spells. This idea of being a holy, armored warrior of your god was alien to me until I played D&D. If you watch anime or read a manga with a fantasy rpg theme to it (there is quite a few now), the healer class is almost always a unarmored priest.

So basically, how would one go about making the old priest class?

Play a Cleric

Half the cleric domains are "unarmored priest".

>too strong on wizards
My thought with wizards was that their spells often have many dice of lower values (d6s or d8s), so having to expend a charge for each die would balance that out a bit

Would it be better if I reduced the number of charges to something like 10 recharging 1d8+2?

The story I used for a half-orc tempest cleric was that he worked as muscle on a trading vessel until his captain was swept away by a freak storm. Enraged after the death of the only man who would give him an honest job, he calls out to the god of storms (whoever that might be in your setting.) Receiving no answer, he starts smashing up the church, frustrated that he can't control his life. As the clerics of the church toss him out, he hears the familiar laughter of his captain behind him. When he turns to see nobody there, he decides that either he's gone insane or that the gods really had answered him. He decides to do the honest thing and fix the damages he'd caused, spending a great deal of time learning about the church and its ideals. When the clerics hear of his story they invite him to join their ranks, as his resolve in light of such tragedy is a shining example of their teachings. He went on to become a beacon of hope, teaching people to cherish what they have before it's too late using a careful combination of passion and intimidation.

Obviously you'd want to flavour to taste, but it makes more sense if you separate yourself from your previous crew as well as giving yourself some contact with storms.

How ya figure?

cleric to me feels like something closer to a divine gish. i want a pure spellcasting divine class of the gods, not nature.

Bringing Down Heaven and Hell works well already. The only change would be having the dice become d10s at 10th and d12s at 18th. Might also move the "advantage on checks made to recall information" to come in when they can hit each particular enemy type (7th/10th).

Unlimited Power is in line with BM's Relentless - not exciting, but useful. More useful with fewer dice, too.

Elements of Invulnerability is a little tough to work with, because a number of other classes do similar things at different levels - Nature Clerics get reaction elemental damage resistance within 30ft at 6th and Oath of Ancients Paladins get area of effect resistance to spell damage at 7th for example, so it's hard to come up with a damage resistance effect that's worth getting at this level but also doesn't obsolete (or be obsoleted by) other classes' features. If you wanted to keep the defence angle, I would go with something like
>At the end of a short or long rest, you may choose to gain the effects of either a protection from evil and good spell or a protection from energy spell. The spell does not require concentration and its effects last until the end of your next short or long rest.

But rather than that, I'd say some kind of offensive power would be better - for instance
>When you spend a power die to deal force damage to a creature, that creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw as if it were attempting to maintain concentration. On a failure, that creature suffers the effects of an antimagic field spell. The effect ends for the creature if it starts its turn more than 30ft away from you.
I'm not really sure about that end clause for the effect, but I felt like it suits the idea of the anti-mage staying up in a spellcaster's face to block off the flow of magic.

I'm also assuming every Occult Slayer is going to be taking the Mage Slayer feat, which one the one hand makes it a tax but on the other you're a Fighter, so you can afford it.

Can medium sized rangers use a mule as a mount because of beast of burden?

Use the Variant in the DMG that allows a cleric to get unarmed defense, and then play Life or Light domain to be a robe wearing white mage.

I do get what you mean though. I kind of wish Cleric started off with padded and shields as a baseline rather than making medium the default to the only option to make something more armored is Heavy.

War cleric? Heavy makes sense. Others? Medium makes more sense.

The unarmored "white magician" of Final Fantasy is a consequence of combining the priest/cleric with shinto priests and shrine maidens. It's one of many consequences of D&D fusing with Japan's culture when it went over there.

The cleric has *always* been an armored warrior of their gods. They're less fighter than a paladin but more fighter than a wizard.

If you want to play an unarmored cleric, either take a level in monk or ask your DM if you can get unarmored defense in place of your armor proficiencies. The balance remains the same either way.

>that their spells often have many dice of lower values (d6s or d8s),
The most a fighter is rolling with this thing is 1d8 since you said they need a free hand ,so unless you make it do more on weapon attacks its still beter on wizard

I'd say so. People rode donkeys, mules and ponies throughout history.

Reposting my cantrip, shortened.

Fae Shift
V, S, M, an iron coin worth 1sp, which the spell consumes.
Range 30 ft
A small bribe and a pair of Fae hands emerge from empty space and pull one creature through their realm before depositing it back in an unoccupied space five feet away from where it originally was. Willing creatures are moved automatically. Unwilling creatures must succeed on a strength saving throw against your spell save dc or be moved.

To creatures incapable of perceiving higher dimensional manifolds, this doesn't even appear to be movement. A creature simply blinks out of existence and blinks back in five feet away. Thus this doesn't provoke opportunity attacks from those creatures. Fae creatures are generally capable of reacting to this movement.

Clerics might be wearing armour but they're not particularly impressive fighters in 5e. If you want to be the healslut standing on the backline you can, you might even get away with not wearing armour.

If you pick knowledge or light you've got a more casting-focussed cleric available to you. If having medium armour really gets your goat though you could look towards the Unearth Arcana "thaumaturgist", which while int-based would make a nice priest flavour if you went for the life domain or something. Maybe homebrew a wis-based wizard as a "priest", give him a prayer-book and some new tradition abilities that suit your fancy. Far as WotC is concerned priests are basically the stay-at-home mum equivalent of a cleric these days, so I'm afraid you may just have to make do.

I'll probably remove the free hand requirement, since I just realized you wouldn't be able to use it with a bow
What do you think about capping the number of charges spent per activation to 3, so that spellcasters don't go nuclear with it?

Bit OP, if I'm understanding this right?

> 15 charges max
> At least 5 recharged a day, bellcurve 9ish
> Turns any damaging hit into max damage
> No need to waste a charge if max damage naturally

Just seems heavy handed

Cleric means belonging to the priestly class. Very rarely was it applied to armored warriors of God.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clergy

Read the etymology section.

>Too much stuff
I agree, however it's worth noting that the Monk gets abilities every level and all of which add up, so only adding one or two of them would be somewhat pointless. As some other user pointed out, "Why would I want to be this when I could be a Totem Barb and be better", so my hope was to add a bunch of the Monk's little abilities to make it more appealing to pick.

And as for the corny name "Brutal" Martial Arts, the name change is there because it has a higher damage die than Monk Martial Arts and I wanted to be clear about that. Brutal was just the first word that popped in my mind for it and it could be changed to anything really.

I'll probably cut out the Missile blocking (Or make it so it's Rage only) and remove the Stone Stomach one since that's just for player flavor, if that's something a PC wants then it's for the DM to decide.

>6th level
I'll probably cut out the extra resistances bit altogether and just leave the fall damage reduction.

>10th level
Evasion while raging fits the theme and is probably better balanced anyways.
I'd also change the not-GWM to once per turn, after all the goal is to make a Barb who excels in crowd control via throwing people around so shitting out damage is probably a poor idea.

>14th level
Changing the Extra Attack to rage only seems fair, since it's not a bonus action attack and a full-on one.
I made the damage reduction lower than Heavy Armor Master in exchange for leaving out the "nonmagic weapon" clause.

And as for the 20 Immortality thing, yeah it probably should be changed, though I like it as a goal to reach for a character. I'll probably make it a mix of the Monk and Druid anti-aging things, something like "At 14th level, your link to stone has become strong enough that you suffer none of the frailty of old age, and you can't be aged magically. For every 10 years that pass, your body ages only 1 year, however your body appears to grow older until 55 where visible aging slows considerably."

D&D doesn't give a shit about etymology or history. The D&D cleric has *always* been an armored warrior of god.

people will just carry enough to make it a non-issue. if you dont keep track of ammunition, you rob your players of the compelling "out of ammunition" improv oppurtunity

By default, the Cleric only has up to medium armour and simple weapons - only some domains get heavy armour and martial weapons. The only really relevant stat for Clerics is Wisdom, so it's therefore pretty easy to just pump Dex and walk around in light armour/robes only casting spells and using a dagger. The only thing missing is a divine equivalent to mage armour and some better finesse weapons.

And Japan doesn't give a shit about dnd. Your argument there falls apart just by looking at the history of priests in both Catholicism and Japan.

Its ok's but since the disengage action exists I don't really see the point other than dropping and unwilling creature off a cliff 5ft

And as for making it a full new class, that might not be a bad idea and it'd let me spread the abilities out a bit more so it's not giant spikes, however I feel I'm even more likely to fuck up balance doing that compared to an existing class where it's easy to tone down or buff up an archetype to fit another one.

After reading the feedback it's down to
>10 charges max
>Minimum 3 recharged per day, average 6.5
>Limited to 3 charges per use
>No free hand requirement so as not to fuck over archers/shield users/two-handed weapon users

That definitely tones it down some, but it might need a little bit more

Remember to think for your fucking selves, but one of the druids got as much nova damage as the Paladin gets nova healing, on top of being one of the strongest classes in the game without it.

Question just came up after my session today: I have a monk in the group looking to take levels in fighter and his is wondering if the Dueling fighting style is possible for him. I honestly have no clue because it could go either way and wanted to know /5eg/'s opinion on it.

Well a roll of 1 every ~20 shots, which is coincidentally what a quiver and whatnot hold (and what packs of ammunition come in)
So it could work out fine (as you "should" come out to 20 shots every package), even if sometimes your ammunition "varies" (eg, rolling a 1, then rolling another 1 like 7 arrows later)

If they can carry enough with the listed method to do that, why can't you carry enough with manual tracking to make a non-issue?

You can disengage your team for them, or blink past walls and other obstacles. Or drop people off cliffs.

maybe make it so it can only be used once per damage source so a single spell doing 8d6 can only reroll one while a martial using extra attack can use it on each of his attacks

Dunno if it qualified as "fun" but in a one-shot I ran, one player's wild sorcerer ended up casting fog cloud centered on himself... as the party fought creatures with blindsight.
Nobody died shockingly enough but they really had to think outside the box to complete that encounter.

The original argument was asking about some imagined "priest" class that healed while wearing no armor.

The priest of D&D has always been the well-armored, weapon-wielding cleric.

The idea of a healer class with no armor in fantasy (>played some old RPG's in the 90s) comes from Final Fantasy's white mage, which was a cleric mixed with shrine maidens and shinto priests.

This has literally nothing to do with classic history, and everything to do with how the proliferation of D&D and video games inspired by it have influenced modern fantasy stories.

Yeah, sure? If he is using a weapon in one hand and not the other, it works.
If he's using his fists? No. If fists meet the requirement here ("a melee weapon"), then that means he also has one "in" his left hand, so it immediately disqualifies him. And that'd also mean nobody could ever use it, really.

ok but i need to ask, was there ever a priest class or was it just another name for the cleric?

When it comes to rules, ask yourself, "Will this make things fun for some? Will it not make things unfun for others?" If both are Yes, then don't worry about anything else. Rules mastery is there so you can run mental simulations to at a glance judge the impact of a mechanic and decide for yourself, not so you can slavishly abide by something.

Dueling Style isn't going to change the monk into some kind of crazy monster that is impossible to design encounters around, so don't worry about it. Let your player have some fun.

I'm trying to burn time while I hunt for a job. How stupid would the idea of a homebrew that rolls two classes into archetypes for the "four main classes" like ADnD?

>Fighter base class
Monk, Barbarian archetypes

>Rogue base class
Bard, Ranger archetypes

>Cleric base class
Paladin, Warlock archetypes

>Wizard base class
Sorcerer, Druid archetypes

Not trying to change up the entire system or anything. Just an experimental exercise to see how blending classes into a parent class would have them turn out to be. Call it a "ADnD 5e" or something, iunno.

>Doling out on average 21 THP with additional repositioning 3 times per long rest at 3rd level
>Up to 36 4 times per short rest at 5th level
>55 5 times per short rest at 10th
>No spell slots required, action economy allows this and a full spell in the same turn
Is this NOT totally bonkers? I just had the chance to play one at level 3 and it was mad strong, and the math seems to scale ludicrously too.

White mages were definetly their own thing.

Alright, thanks guys. I just wanted a second opinion.

I
what

So I pick Rogue, and then at level...3 I also turn into a Bard?

Could work. Put Ranger, Paladin, and Barbarian under fighter. Put Bard and Monk under Rogue. Put Druid under Cleric. Put Sorcerer and Warlock under wiz