2016-12-06 - /btg/ Battletech General!

Comstar: "Pay your phone bill" edition - -

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: =================================

BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

MechCommander & Mechwarrior 3 pilot voices and SFX
mediafire.com/file/pehas5xyoaocfaz/2016-11-12_MechCommanderGold-Pilots-with-Instructions.rar
mediafire.com/file/wplodo9q9f1f377/2016-11-19_PC_Mechwarrior3-SFX-Vocals.rar

/btg/'s own image board: - (needs work)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/ja3z2n1goe12623/Field_Manual_Comstar.PDF
mediafire.com/?3d9brfrkj9vnhka
mediafire.com/file/ivqhzog2wyoegxo/Battletech_35011_-_Aerotech_2_Revised.pdf
mediafire.com/file/3o59kirzzz6znac/BattleTech_Hexpacks.7z
mediafire.com/file/l22yrlkk9buzuzl/BattleTech_Intro_Box_Set.7z
scribd.com/doc/23569748/35014-Historical-War-of-3039
rebel.pl/e4u.php/1,ModProducts/ShowCategory/1645/?1&p=20
mwomercs.com/forums/topic/39191-goon-made-mechs-and-other-crazy-things-from-somethingawful/
youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8Y1V8gy1A&feature=youtu.be
pcgamer.com/mechwarrior-5/
youtube.com/watch?v=xBU5M6HVNSg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

PART TWO!: -

Field Manual Comstar.PDF
mediafire.com/file/ja3z2n1goe12623/Field_Manual_Comstar.PDF
8604 - The Spider and the Wolf
mediafire.com/?3d9brfrkj9vnhka
mediafire.com/file/ivqhzog2wyoegxo/Battletech_35011_-_Aerotech_2_Revised.pdf
hexpacks 2&3:
mediafire.com/file/3o59kirzzz6znac/BattleTech_Hexpacks.7z
also introbox stuff:
mediafire.com/file/l22yrlkk9buzuzl/BattleTech_Intro_Box_Set.7z
NEW LAST THREAD! - scribd.com/doc/23569748/35014-Historical-War-of-3039

We know Word of Blake is likely still active in the Inner Sphere.

Previously the last sighting of WoB/Manei Domini had been in the 3090s, but the Prince of Regulus admits in one of the novels that the last cell of Blakists known about had only been wiped out in the mid-3110s. Knowing ROM's skills at evading capture, I think this is evidence that the robes are still on the prowl.

Also from last thread: -
scribd.com/doc/23569748/35014-Historical-War-of-3039
>Captcha: Blake ANANTIALES
Word of Blake lives!

Give praise to Blake!

Proof that game devs should never advance the storyline.

Post your favorite Blakist mech.

I'm sure /btg/, or Veeky Forums as a whole, could have a nice long argument on this, but yeah some ideas and factions work better for settings, while advancing storylines can arguably make things worse.

BLAKE ELEISON

Titan II
oh, and that sword and board Black Knight

Not a fan of their "they all look the same" omnimechs

Also we need more Society

>3rd Division

Ma nigga. Wonder where my other OF sigs got to, I had a bunch for them...

As a tie-in to the HBS game, the line could work.

FWL planetary cultures basically span the old Ottoman Empire.

Lyran planets are capitalism amok. Unions, mobs, corrupt politicians, bureaucratic infighting. Like if Gotham City went interstellar.

>the Ottoman Empire
Right down to Czechs, Mexicans, Mormons, Germans, Scots, Chinese and Indians?

Don't forget Jewish Cowboys.

the entire spectral series to be honest. I swear members of my group wept when they learned there were new lams with clan tech announced.

My cyborg brother

Why?

Why what? The weeping? Because I'm notorious for not playing seriously. LAMs are great for that because you can't hit them, and they can't hit anything faster than an Atlas.

To me FWL has allways struck as more of France i. Most of their regions had/have strong identies and there was really big arguments between regions in the past, hell there where even Crusades made inside France vs some regions that had heretical and/or where too independent of the central rulers.

Lyran Commonwealth is Space German Empire (1870-1918 version) alot of semi-independent rulers and nobility that gets all the higher military positions due to connections.

Rewatched the teaser for MW5. Based on the fact that whoever was playing was free to walk around the shad and look around and that they bothered to make the player push "E" to use the lift I'm wondering if we'll see any on foot sort of stuff.

As a further thought, it'd be interesting even if that sort of thing was just limited to walking around on your dropper and interacting with your crew and unit like in SCII: Wings of Liberty.

That's a good analysis. A good story for the FWL would have been them coming together as a nation since all their centuries of federation was moving towards it, but WizKids happened. It's a shame the the late 3rd Succession War era occurrence of provincial infighting is what they got flanderized into.

Its sort of odd that the provincial infighting, designed to make the League look weak and suck at everything, is what makes them such a more interesting and involved faction than any of the others.

True, it made it interesting and fun to read about as long as it was mostly political and economic infighting. Parliamentary shenanigans, regiments painting certain crests above others, etc. Once it turned into actual full-on war it got boring. I suppose we should be happy CGL rebuilt it, but the stupid collapse they had to write is yet another of the silly things WizKids had to saddle the game with.

>and they can't hit anything faster than an Atlas.

That doesn't matter. It's the objective truth that LAMs are the most overpowered units possible, because they can always choose their approach direction and can be anywhere on the board they need to be. Whether they can hit anything is completely immaterial to their obvious munchkinry.

Saw the discussion on the Gladiator last thread, so design challenge?

Make a late 3050s or 3060s FWLM version of the -3R or 4R Gladiator.

>make a FWLM version of a Drac 'Mech
>when they already have the upgraded Cronus which might as well be a Gladiator variant any way

To what end?

Because of the picture I posted making me think of it.

Which is exactly why I play them. I play BT for the stories, not for the tactics, so my friends all know that all they need to beat me is to mention how epic a death from above would be on their assault mech.

Is there a guide on how to start with the board game ? Have any new miniatures been released for it ?

>To what end?
The Cronus is a limited-production design with a primary Mercenary market, and both the Cronus and Glad overlap with the Wolverine's tactical role (though neither is a Command 'Mech). Hell, they both occupy basically the same niche in the Jihad, just on opposite sides of the Chaos March.
That said, political fuckery from one of the sub-states wanting their own solid 55 for cheaper than they can snag a license from one of the other factories seems reasonable.

>Is there a guide on how to start with the board game ?
Best method is buying the intro Box if you can find a copy. It comes with quickstart rules, some training scenarios, and 24 minis so you can get a good start on the game.

>Have any new miniatures been released for it ?
Iron Wind Metals releases stuff basically every quarter and Warhansa releases stuff pretty much all the time, so yeah, plenty of new minis exist.

>can't fish with an ERPPC
that's where you're wrong, kiddo

I'd rather read guide some guide on how to start and some rule rundown first to see how it works and how much it would cost before starting. I mean, I'm checking it out at an online shop and there are like 20 books:

rebel.pl/e4u.php/1,ModProducts/ShowCategory/1645/?1&p=20

What's the mech on the far left?

See I think the Gladiator, for this case and campaign, would fit Regulus. At least because that pic makes me think of it now.

Ost-something?

Actually, maybe Exterminator.

The FWL's founding provinces spoke Slovak, Hindi, Mongolian, Romanian, and Bengali, and the Mosiro Archepelago is a direct callback to "the European Dark Ages of old Terra, when Moslem civilization was at its peak."

So I see the FWL in the role of traditional Arabic/Islamic empire, linking Europe (the Lyrans) with the East (the Capellans).

As though you can't find Germans, Scots, Indians etc. in the other Successor States too.

The Ottomans at least abutted the Czechs, and succeeded the Islamic Caliphates which did stretch to India.

By way of the artist: Ostroc.

mwomercs.com/forums/topic/39191-goon-made-mechs-and-other-crazy-things-from-somethingawful/

Ostroc. The shoulder SRM-4 and paired LL/MLs give it away.

Hey lads, I'm putting together a 3025 mercenary company, and I'm looking for a really nasty brawler assault to put the commander in, just something that makes other mechs deeply fear getting close. Rare designs are 100% fine if they aren't totally extinct

Warhansa?

Ask Google. He's your friend.

I mean, the Atlas? If you get inside 9 hexes with an Atlas in 3025, you're a dead man.

There is a Banshee -S variant that I have used (don't remember the number) that is cripplingly mean. Two PPCs, AC10, 4 MLs, SLs, SRM6 and leather bucket seats. I had a blast with it on a run for a while before a PoS Command hit one of my ammo bins. I was sad to lose that thing.

That's the -3S, the classic Steiner Banshee. It's solid.

I'm pretty sure everyone's see this, but I don't see a link, so may as well throw it up to spark discussion.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8Y1V8gy1A&feature=youtu.be

Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries is coming, set during the Third Succession War.

Thoughts?

>Thoughts?
Gonna be excellent? Not much else to say really.

Had a moment to check. THAT'S the one! 21 HS. The thing was a freaking dynamo for me for a while before those Commandos... oh those filthy little turds.
>I would use an unhappy emoticon right now, but I know where I am.

I never played so I can't tell, are they using the Mechwarrior Online models?

King Crab, definitely. How can you go wrong with TWO AC/20s?

Could just as easily say it's Alexander's empire, since you have it run by a Greek themed capital. Also, Czech not Slovak.

>Raven... in that time period...
Couldn't it have just been a Javelin or Spider or something? And yeah, I saw it last night. It looks nice, but with things are as they are, I approach this with extreme apprehension.

Mayhaps they will put something else that is era appropriate in, or you know, that whole opening sequence might be entirely different. For the sake of one's sanity, it might be best to treat it like a movie trailer and just assume it's all kinds of different from what it actually will be.

Well, the guy did comment that he didn't recognize the markings, and the Raven was introduced at the very end of the 3SW. So it might mean you're up against some well-equipped, elite Capellan forces.

also has a point, it does say it's pre-alpha footage

I'm going to be hopeful, because I want it to be good. We got robbed of MW5 before now with the cash cow of MWO maybe the real fans can get a bone.

3015 and there's a Raven running around. While I remain hopeful, we'd be stupid to expect anything other than PGI taking a steaming dump all over us again.

Where's it say 3015? Not saying you're wrong, just haven't seen it.

Thanks.

Calling it now, it's going to be a cash cow, where they nickel and dime you for variants in that game too.

On the 'Mech startup screen, and via Russ's comments to PCGamer.

The article says the game is supposed to span from 3015-3049, just before the invasion.

I want to know if there is going to be some random mission generator or mission mod software or something. I thought that was a big missing factor of my favorite, MW3.

I'm going to be *pissed* if they do that in MW5. In MWO it sucks, but is understandable because it's free. Paying $60 to get fucked in the ass like that? No thank you, my top dollar for a good ass fucking is $20, not a dime more.

Hell, with the switch to UE4, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to port the game to consoles too. Then it's DLC and console kiddies as far as the eye can see.

That depends? Is PGI familiar with any other business model than micro-transactions? I think they'd be better off with full-price + expansions later but something tells me they have no experience with that.

>posting a caliphate map for the Ottoman Empire
I know it's Veeky Forums but come on

Scots are everywhere in battletech, someone doing the fluff had a massive hard-on for them. Apparently they were the best at space.

Consider the following: The reveal of the game at MechCon had Ross whoever say that it wasn't going to have any sort of multiplayer component, because they already had MWO. It's a gateway drug, user.

I'm pretty sure the devs just really liked Highlander.

Jews too. Not even /pol/, look at how often they're mentioned in the handbooks and such.

Actually makes sense since it's governed from Atreus and the League had all those Hellenic trappings for so long while the "eastern" influences were out of power or out of the spotlight.

It's only a gateway drug for as long as PGI thinks MWO is the money-maker. If (and this is a big if this early on) PGI thinks MW5 will provide that, they'll change tunes real quick.

The time period of the game is 3015-3049 so everything fits

I mean, a couple hundred years of never being pogrom'd or genocided or even driven out of wherever they're living would probably make them rather more common than they are now

pcgamer.com/mechwarrior-5/

More common, sure, but they're listed as like the second largest populations in some places with billions of people.

I bet the Jews were behind Amaris, the Clans and Word of Blake

It's a midwestern thing. Most of em are scots-german and what with the wars and all most were more interested in the Scots half, because it's certainly more interesting than the midwest.
Since battletech, like most wargames/RPGs and honestly the whole concept in general is extremely midwestern, you get a lot of scots stuff

Stop defending racists.

I agree, it's extremely problematic and toxic. I'm literally shaking, I don't even

>buy2play
>zero microtransactions

So it's a normal game? Cool.

I would also guess the prevalence of jews as a midwestern thing. Most of the OG FASA guys were from chicago, right? And being from the non-trash parts of chicago, especially in the 70s and 80s would certainly give an exaggerated idea of the percentage of the population that is jewish

>Scots-German

So the Lyran Commonwealth is Midwest America?

Speaking as a Jew, I've always liked this.

I have a Jewish mercenary regiment that I've been playing for years now. They're from Zion technically, but unit descent is from the Israeli Defense Force.
Perhaps ironically a lot of our campaigns have been for the Lyran state.

thing is, if they're so midwestern/chicago, where the fuck are all the poles and ukrainians?

good question

I can't recall seeing too many -ski's or -wicz's in BT, and they're in every damn nook and cranny here.

subhumans

Well, the ukrainians are more in canada than the US part of the midwest, but I got nothing on the lack of poles

Lyrans have shitloads of Jews.
Somehow.

>Melissa Steiner was gathering them in the Lyran half of the FedCom to finally shoah them once and for all
>Dancing Joker got her first
Praise Yahweh

What do you guys think of Xiphos battle armor?

>mercantile state
>financial powerhouse
>metric fuckloads of jews

Sounds about right.

Sure is battle armor. Yeah.

The B variant has a plasma rifle. How does that work?

Which one of you did this?

youtube.com/watch?v=xBU5M6HVNSg

How do quad BA's work? Are the dudes sitting in it and piloting it like a car? Or are they walking around on their hands and feet?