/wip/ - Painting/Sculpting/Converting General

LURKERS POST YOUR MINIS edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Painting music
youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE

Previous Thread

New day, new ship.

Added a touch of red to break up the gold a bit.

And finished another. Can't decide how to base them though, I want something that will make the gold 'pop'.

Have we only had one secret santa received? Mine is delivered according to the tracking but user hasn't posted it yet :

Sent mine today so royal mail says it'll be 3-4 working days.

I only saw one unboxed so far. Give it some time user. Its 5 days only so far and there was a weekend in between.

Mine arrived in Spain today according to the tracking info and probably gets delivered tomorrow.. or the day after if the spanish post is slow.

Advice on stripping models? I don't want to damage the plastic

OP link on stripping doesn't go anywhere

include the '...' it works for me

Dettol is what I use everytime

I only got two of the dots, oops

Anyone know how to make swappable arms for a dreadnought but without magnets? Also would I'm using a FW dreadnought if that matters

>arms for a dreadnought but without magnets?

you don't.

Get some magnets. they are cheap as dirt.

I could've sworn i saw a pic where you could use tubing. Honestly i have more than enough small magnets for my marines i don't want to deal with more magnets if i could skip it

Any good alternatives for the forge world earthshaker cannons? I'm at work and don't have time to look through the pastebin

Just got home from another crappy day at work to find this parcel to brighten up my day. I'm just glad people are so nice here like you Beckenham user.
Sorry for the bad photo I don't really have anywhere in the house to take a good one.
For those that cannot tell what it is; 10 of the Emperor's Finest (MkIII, the best), some sweeties, some dudes from SPIRAL ARM STUDIOS 2015, a cool visual novel called "Warhammer Online: Prelude to War" and a tea light!
Card will be in next post!

It probably was just using the bits already on the model. If the peg fits the whole for the weapons it can work, but magnets do the job better

I never even knew the book existed user, and I played Age of Reckoning back in the day so I'm actually really interested in reading it. It really did cheer me up a great deal when I saw this and I thank you for your generosity :)

I know it's silly but honestly my favourite part has to be the tealight just because I think it's really sweet and a nice touch. Once again I can't thank you enough, I was expected that my address would have been sent to that one guy that doesn't even bother sending anything.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

I'll have to get my ass in gear and get mine sent to you Leeds user!

Sorry for the big images!

WIP of my Kastelan. The colour scheme is a little dull, but I really like it!

Have applied the base armour layer, am not working on base metal layer. Then I'll apply nuln oil, do the brass, then highlight. To finish I'm going to make the eyeplate like glossy black glass, and give it a moonscape base

>tfw you think of something to add after you click post

Side note: Applying the base metal after the other paint was a good idea. If I'm a little sloppy the nuln oil will just make it seem like paint that's been scratched off

Woah nice! Shit, now that I see that, shouldve included some sweets or smth

Base yellow, masking paint, spray black, right?
Could you do black-mask-yellow to get Kirby Krackle, or would the yellow not cover black well?

>Anyone know how to make swappable arms for a dreadnought but without magnets?

You can drill holes in the shoulder plates and run rods through them, then put matching holes on the inside of the arms. The rods should be larger than the usual paperclips we use for pinning around here, and you should use two rods plus the nub on the shoulder to stabilize the aqrm against the body.

Even though my dreadnoughts are metal, I'm using paperclips for rods, and I only have one rod instead of two, I can nonetheless remove and swap arms between them and (more importantly) store them safely for transport to my FLGS.

Hey guys thinking of building an admech/skitarii army but I'm stumped on paint schemes. I think the box art looks good but everyone does that...I eat my guys to standout while still looking cool.
I was thinking green (I love forest colors) but that's not very fluffy.

Any ideas?

Great stuff there :3

Now get going and paint some marines

No, it wouldn't. Would havebto make a white undercoat for that and I'm too lazy for the hazzle.

There is a Forge World with green colors. Don't know the name but it was one of those nobody Forge Worlds. I think one of the famous ones had olive drab and red.

You can find various official Skitarii schemes in one of the books. Their codex maybe? I don't play Skitarii but I've seen people talking about this very subject before when they came out and official green images were posted.

CUTE

Avoid metallics or earth tones and go for high contrast. Meaby snow or ruins. or snowy ruins

>Leeds user
Exciting!

Ah wonderful, good old Royal Mail, 2nd class delivery all the way up to (where you live) in less than 48 hours.

Glad you like the gifts and that it brightened your day, I puzzled over putting something together that I thought someone would like and I'm genuinely glad that you do, warm + fuzzy feeling and all that.

Have a great Christmas mate :)

Foss! Intentionally or coincidence?

You'll have to post your lightbox so I can keep an eye out for your posts

Coincidence. You're like 4th or 5th making that connection.

>Coincidence.

Hmmmmm

Bognor Regis user, I sent yours today first class. Hope you enjoy.

I felt down so I bought myself some Tzaangors, not sure if Tzaangors are powerful enough to use magic but I figured if it was Tzeentch there might be some who might.

What looks better, the plume or the ball?

Ball looks better.

user, user!

How many heads are there? Any extras?

Also ball is better

currently working on my imperial knight that was gathering dust for a while now.

You get a whopping 26 beaked faces, 13 variants, but only 12 neck bits in total including the two faces. You get two weapons sprues or both 40k and AoS, so you get two banners and two trumpets aswell as a single two hander on each sprue. You get a far lot in there.

Maybe GW Astrogranite? Just a suggestion, but it's a good effect if you give it a nice glossy wash.

Good luck working on it in that earthquake, user.

what are you talking about?

sorry my phone isnt the best anymore

Yes...YES
Bits for the bits Gods!
Thanks, Mine are in the mail and I was curious.
Can I talk you into parting with them or something?

Just got some HH marines and I'm trying to think of the best legion to go for as a paint scheme.

I currently have a Death Guard CSM army and Blood Angels for 40K. I'm looking for something different to contrast with those and get me painting some nice colours.

Look at 1:35 scale models for historical artillery. You have a huge variety of options for probably half the price.

Alpha Legion for me.

Not a chance, plan to make an army of horrible mutants. Maybe pick up a unit of Gors and convert some more.

this: In particular look for US "M59 Long Tom" and Soviet "M1935 (Br-2)".
There is a cheap diecast model of a long tom by "The Ultimate Soldier" that you could get for a couple of bucks in your local toy store if you are lucky.

These are really nicely executed Clean, good coverage, the depth on the gems is nice, that face is straight up phenomenal, and I'm gonna steal the glossy red for some shoulder pads myself. Looks good next to the gold

Kromlech (bitsofwar.com) makes an "Imperial siege mortar" that is shorter barreled than the earthshaker, but is still big n beefy. And Kromlech's quality is top notch.

OOH, I have three of those. Top-notch casting. No complaints.

Fair enough thanks for answering my first question

Send off my secret santa parcel

Hope I get something back this year.

r8 and h8

Need advice on how to make my chapter work.

I want to achieve a dark deep purple and need advice on accents.

Since I want to stem away from the Emperor's Children look, I thought I'd use colder metals (silver, etc...) instead of gold

I'd also like to know if you think the aquila would look good in jade green. I'd make it dark with highlights and with "stone" patterns as if it was made of actual jade

With gold (or any other metallic)

The post lady said it should arrive at destination in sweden on the 8th.

This is basically just Soul Drinkers, keep that in mind.

WAY too busy. Consider something like this.

Guess what arrived in the mail today! Pleasantly surprised since I had no idea when these gals would arrive. After I finish my last Ork runtherda I think I will take a break from 40k to work on these pinups!

That's Soul Drinkers

Hence why I was considering the jade aquila.

I have one test models and the scheme works fine. Sergeants are different also.

this one looks great. I have to disagree with . Your paint scheme doesn't look too busy at all. their suggestion looks far to plain for me.

We have some really generous people on this board, the only other one I saw was the guy with the Dark Angel stuff

No jade aquila?

I personally like the metallic over the jade, the jade is a little much. Just doesn't look right in contrast to the other colors. But that's just me, if you really like it go for it.

>visual novel Warhammer Online: Prelude to War
whoa whoa, Age of Reckoning had a visual novel for it? I really miss that game, shame EA was so incompetent. If another studio had made it, it probably would have done far better.

The collectors edition had a incredible comic, each story done by a different artsit and an amazing art book in it. If you see the collectors about its worth it just for those books. Also theres a model and a mousemat in there too

is december WD out yet?

I tried a few tests for deciding the blades color for those guys, and I'm not really satisfied either way : do you have any suggestion? The one Duncan used for Alarielle was quite nice, but I miss all of those colors...

Magazines release a month early, Decembers came out in November, Novembers in October etc...

so yes it is.

I like the green, but the nmm effect looks better on the grey blade.
Maybe paint the blade to be green nmm?

Strictly speaking the gradients should look a little different cause the edge of the blade is not straight, but alternating between concave and convex, but it looks good regardless.

I have an idea im trying for my homebrew chaoter. I bought a large base and im going to try to turn it into a larger base that my figures can all go on when not in play, sort or like the primarchs have for the HH models. Thoughts?

Kinda like an "armies on display"-display base?

It's probably listed in an FAQ somewhere, but i may as well ask: What's a good fine detail brush for mini painting? I know citadel stuff is overpriced, so what's recommended for someone still learning?

awesome! I'll have to look it up later. The art and atmosphere was amazing.

Yeah kind of. I want ot make it do the smaller bases actually sink into the larger display base, so sort of doing slots for them so it looks seamless on display.

You could get a couple of skirmish movenment trays for the single squads and then create a larger tray for the squad-trays.

Thanks man! Ill look into it. Will post results once all my materials come in

Just some more basic tacticals for muh walls

Anything that comes to a sharp point when wet, but is as thick as possible at the base near the handle. Usually only kolinsky sable brushes manage to have these qualities, as cheaper brushes must remove hairs to get a sharp point, thus making their belly reservoirs quite thin.

You can dive right in to a Raphael 8404, Winsor & Newton Series 7, or Da Vinci kolinsky sable brush as they're only $10-13 each and are the best you'll be able to buy. If you're worried about breaking the brush because you're the Hulk or something, get a Rosemary & Co or any brush with a sharp point. Size 0, 1, or 2 are all fine for infantry painting as long as the points are sharp. If you find yourself having to go smaller than size 0, chances are the brush is not very good quality.

Also Custodes, I really like these models

Is that shininess in the recesses agrax gloss?

Homemade Skyshield Landing Pad update. Drybrushed the walls to make the texture stand out and then decided to paint the Aquilas gold in the name of the Emperor.

nah its just riekland fleshshade

nice work

>need MKV jump packs
>no bits sites have them
>already have enough HH bodies

Anyone know where to get some besides buying raptors? I am trying to make a night lords army that won't look out of place in a 30k game.

You could look into 3rd party bits sellers. Some kind of look like mkV.
Or try to get some old school RT ones that look the part.

Hoard o Bitz? I never see anyone mentioning this site, but they always seem to have what I need.

Thanks!

The only 3rd party ones I've seen are the single big ones..

Checked.

Not to be a no-fun, but it seems you got two stories of MkIII legs instead of one wth legs and another with the heads and torsos.

Other than that, congrats, dude!

>The only 3rd party ones I've seen are the single big ones..
MaxMini has two other variants of these.

Back in the day when only the most dedicated SM players bothered to convert the older mks from plastic kits these were popping up all over the place.
If you don't like these ones check the other usual suspects. This was a popular design because it's what the old metal models had and it's also the design the FW mkV assault squad uses.

I like these more than They look the part.

Actually, I kinda want to see how they look with the Marine on them.