Building a setting based on sub-saharan africa

Building a setting based on sub-saharan africa

Politely requesting pics for inspiration

Why don't you tell us a little about the worldbuilding you've done so far before anyone expends energy trolling in what may or may not be a bait thread.

Gotta have the crocodile skin sword sheathe. Won't get any ebony qt 3.14's otherwise

That's a Kaskara, a Sudanese sword.

And these are Takoba swords, from the nomadic Tuareg (among other groups too)

I've only just started looking into various African cultures, and there's some pretty interesting stuff, like the Kingdom of Aksum and Ethiopian history in general.

West African wax print fabrics.

At work m8

All look badass and interesting.

Then suddenly Mursi.

And all humanity is by association tainted by that level of retardation.

Interestingly some of the colors and patterms on these almost remind me of Japanese designs.

They really are interesting. Them and the medieval Kongo
>Convert to Catholicism to please strange pale visitors with guns
>Convert some nobles in order to attract smart, pale missionaries
>Your perfidious brother rises up with an army of traditionalists and pagans
>Somehow win because the enemy fled at the sight of St. James among your forces
>Think there might be something to this foreign religion
>Fifty years later, there are Kongolese cardinals in the Vatican speaking Latin amongst the Europeans

Aksum held up a very unique culture when their neighbors were taken over by Islam and other nations. Then Ethiopia formed and ended up having some European nobles marry into their royal family (and the other way around too). When the Italians showed up, their army was disgraced by having such a dogged time fighting what should have been "negro savages". I'm not sure their military ever recovered from such an obvious mess up.

Beautiful

Heh, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder I guess. Look at Americans getting ear, tongue, nose, and even cheek gauges. Fucked up but it seems to be "cool" to them

>Look at Americans getting ear, tongue, nose, and even cheek gauges.

I would really rather not. Holy fuck that shit is hideous.

Holy shit

It may be one of those legends who are not true, but I've been told several times (even by a guy who was in Ethiopia) that it started deliberately in order to make their women ugly to avoid them being taken as slaves. With time it became the norm.

Sounds like bullshit, but the world is full of weird shit like that. And fiction settings even more.

Holy buggery, is it just me or does it look like someone slashed the fuck out of that Berta woman's cheeks?

I heard the same, and it's kinds of likely it started that way. Arabs and black tribes raided a fuckton for slaves to sell.

>Amhara

Oh shit.

What's the twilek one

>dat Hamar
>dat Bena

If you look at shibori techniques in Japan and some used throughout Africa, I'm thinking there's a connection that should have happened from a cloth-making crafts standpoint, and it's a a waste it never did.

The closest thing I can think of is a project called "Wafrica" where designer Serge Mouangue made Kimono out of African fabrics. Not exactly what you're looking for but still pretty interesting.

Old school west african houses looked oddly "japanese" at first glance

The flowing robes and chopping swords are funny too

Yeah, but I doubt they specifically targeted the mursi. Why only those guys did that kind of stuff? There's a shit ton of ethnicities here and none seem to do anything remotely similar.

I can take disfiguring your wife/daughter in order to save her freedom, but it turning into the traditional fashion is a bit too much. It's the kind of thing I could believe, but only if an actual expert told me so.

It's literally what it happened, it doesn't "look like" anything.

Other tribes did something linked to that, the Yoruba in Nigeria for example.

Guys, I'm worried. What's happened to /pol/? They should be here by now.

Nigg nigger niggest, cuck cuckedy cockold, americunt, europoor, remove kebab, brown clown, jewz, boongas.

Feel better now?

Did they care about the freedom of females?
Asking out of curiosity because I don't know about gender in African societies

WE

Scarification.

It was more about tribal identification

t. My dad has the scars

How does one find out some more information on African faiths before all the colonization?

All societies care about the freedom of HIS females. Nothing to do with gender social rules. And by freedom I mean them not being owned as slaves, nothing beyond that.

you will notice many of them look more classically east African while others look almost Indian.

ethopia has a very long history with many strange migrations from far away places.

it also has a very colorful religious history were despite being conquered by muslims multiple times it is still majority christian and has a large jewish population (or at least it did until most of them migrated to isreal)

Really? Is your dad Ethiopian?

Try to see if the UNESCO general history of africa has something. I only used it for Aksum in late-antiguity settings, ie christianity which is probably not what you mean by african faiths. But maybe there's something in the articles about pagan pre-colonial nations.

WUZ

>no flying zimbabwean towers
Well wuz you, or wuzn't you.

No one has posted the great mosque of djenne?

It's a really unique looking structure

SOLDIERS!

Kings. We were kings and such.

You know

We used to have awesome Africa threads before cucks started whining about /pol/

it's like thrashing when there's sharks

Look up the Africa section on sacredtexts

Lot's of missionaries wanted to be the next Snorri

Ghanaian

It's going out of style for obvious reasons

They're seen as hillbilly tier

Only fer dem cuntry folk who only need lord Jesus...and the myriad nature spirits we pretend not to worship

Tropical Africa had loads of secret societies and cults

With every rank earned you'd be initiated into even greater mysteries and unseen powers

Cult members often functioned as secret police across different tribes

Some cults like those of the Mandingo hunters functioned like a cross between Monster Hunter, the Witcher, and the Rangers of the North in LOTR

During the crazy wars of Upper Guinea the Mandinka hunter cult brought about a sense of peace and order in many places

like that creepy leopard cult that gets brought up in a lot of the Africa threads?

I actually have contributables for once.

>Herding cats that are big enough to kill you

No thanks

Yep

There was also a crocodile cult and a lion cult

Both cannibalistic killers too

The Hyena cult was peaceful, more like Boy Scouts than Chaos worshippers

Oh snap, is that Chago/Xango?

Badass. Do yourself a favour and document all of it for posterity: Method, meaning, history etc. I regret not being old enough to get info on my great grandpa's traditional ink.

Ever been to visit Ghana?

You are a little baby man.

Every spring

Awesome. What tribe, if any?

Ashanti

We're only one of many Twi speaking tribes

These days there is definitely a budding sense of proto-nationalism between all the Twi speaking tribes (Ashanti, Akyem, Ahafo, Anyi, Fante, Akwamu, Denkyira, etc)

Even many non-Twi speaking tribes like the Ewe are picking it up because we're culturally dominant

Think of Germany before Otto Von Bismarck

What makes one a member of a tribe? How do various tribes interact with one another?

Thats a much more detailed answer than I was expecting, and really cool.

>Think of Germany before Otto Von Bismarck
No shit? Do you think this will evolve into a broader social/political change of state?

The tribe is the smallest natural human organization, based on a shared geographical location, cultural moralit, familiar ties and mutual self support.

It depends on if your tribe is matrilineal or patrilineal

Or if you were adopted into the tribe

The village is the basic political unit among most africans

A tribe CAN be only one village, or many villages who recognize a common origin

Many tribes (not all) have clans which are sub groupings of families bound together by a more recent common ancestor or totem animal

These days it's considered awkward to blatantly ask someone their tribe among lots of people

It's like asking somebody who they voted for or what their underwear looks like

Overeager foreigners are exempt