The Other Side

New miniature game by Wyrd.

>The Other Side is an upcoming game about allegiances doing battle across the Earth in a fight for supremacy and survival. Using 32mm miniatures, players will control squads of troops and massive titans as they attempt to defeat their foes and seize control of Earth.. Conflict is resolved through the use of a deck of cards, allowing players more control over their own destinies. The Other Side shares a world with Malifaux, but the games are not compatible.

>The Other Side is a streamlined game intended to be easy to pick up and learn while still providing an exciting, tactical experience for players.

>The epic battles taking place across the Earth are played out on a 6 x 4 table with scattered, light terrain. Alternating activations keep you involved in the action every step of the way, while a five turn game keeps the fighting quick and bloody. The average game lasts about two hours.

>The Other Side is won and lost by how well your troops complete their mission, creating an ebb and flow to the battle as objectives are fiercely contested throughout the entire game

wyrd-games.net/the-other-side

youtube.com/watch?v=-vSqhocRM4Y

Are you excited? I am excited.

I'm surprised how little I care for the factions. Something about the style just really falls flat for me. All I could see myself going for are the Cult because I like teleporty shenanigans.

I'm the opposite, like what I've seen of all the faction except the Brits, and that's just because I don't care for colonial Brits. The robot is still cool.

I think the Gibbering Horde is having the hardest time selling itself for most people. That's because all the original promotion art and model renders sold the Lovecraftian Deep Ones, but if you look at the splash art on the website, there is other things in the faction. Like those chameleon guys, or that big dinosaur muthafucka.

I know that the Abyssinians are getting flack because of "WE WAZ KANGS" bullshit, but fuck that. Some of us don't mind something other than the same old same old Europeans.

>I like what I've seen of all the faction except the Brits, and that's just because I don't care for colonial Brits.
When I fist saw the concepts and model mocks, I felt similarly, though the non-'Nids looked pretty weak.
Now that I've seen more...
>I'm surprised how little I care for the factions. Something about the style just really falls flat for me.

Disappointingly (both for Wyrd and myself) part of that is that they seem to have backed off the more stereotypical African imagery - the first shots of the Crow Runners with feathers and blades looked cool as shit, but the latest batch of shots look ever more generically armoured.

>The Abyssinians are getting flack because of "WE WAZ KANGS" bullshit

Are they?
Anywhere other than here by trolls, I mean?

I'm struggling with my white guilt the bait and switch aesthetic of the Abyssinians compared to the first couple of models shown.
Their armoured warriors don't look interesting enough for me.
Prince Unathi looks boss as fuck, as do the Electrocutioners, but none of the robots really stand out from any other 1800-1950/Weird War robot line to me - though I suppose you'd have a perfectly valid pushback if they had beads and feathers dangling off the mecha-claws.
There's just not much of an edge (in as non-controversial a meaning as can be mustered) to a lot of the visual design.

The South Wales Borderers look pretty fucking cool, but otherwise I'm flip-flopping on the Brits.

As for the other two, take or leave.

Playtested this shait of a game - dont bother it is weak as fuck

What's wrong with it? What does an average turn look like?

Didn't even know there was a video up. After watching it, haven't really changed my opinion much. I do like that they are going more WWI Brits. I like the Abyssinians, even if the basic troops are tame compared to the initial art pics.

I can honestly say, modelwise, I could jump into any army and find enough stuff in it to make me happy.

I go you go - it's basicly dumbed down malifaux. Cards are used almost in the same way (bar for some of them are needed to activate abilitys). Game balances out on 6 x 4 table but you feel its empty (you dont use much terrain). Strategems are either shit or OP no middle ground - and I find nigger ones more OP then others. The main problem with this game is that it takes what malifaux does good and cuts it in half - you need more minis - but you move them in squads so basicly same options - your commanders define your playstyle but arent as colorfull as masters. You will go through your deck more times then in malifoux and the last straw for me is the stupid glory system - its realy bad - i mean realy bad. You dont get scered - you get brave - shit flys around you and big ass crab tears your buddy to ribbons but you get BRAVE and have more skills - rearly this matter and feels added on force... I hope people wont get burned - wyrd is great company with malifaux - I love this game (this is why i playtested) but this shit is pure cashgrab with no intention of dishing out quality product.

I appreciate the time to type a reply at all, but that was borderline incoherent in places.

I agree that the Glory system sounds a little counter-theme compared to Malifaux.
Maybe if they really manage to sell the NobleBright angle it will work?
But what do you mean it feels added on and (forced?) to you?

What little I heard of objectives sounds an awful lot like the more easily-ported Malifaux objectives - hold the center, capture the point, kill the enemy leader/elites/mooks.
Is that not the case?
I've always thought the intricacies of Malifaux's objective system is it's greatest feature, so it does seema shame to dumb it down.
Do you select your TOS objectives similarly to Malifaux (picks froma shared pool)?
What you were saying about the 'nigger ones more OP' males it sounds like there are Faction-specifics with more focus.

Feed me the tatters of your NDA, angry racist gamer.

What are plug bases -
Why are the Wakandians in this game?

>Plug bases
Great big bases (>100mm?) with 3(?) holes for 30mm bases.

>Why Wakandans?
Because they're the most believable post-industrial large nation besides European or States, I guess.
Or more accurately, because roboJapan is played out and we already have .the. iconic steampunk Euro faction.

Oh shit - that's cool

>angry racist gamer
Yeah, kinda stopped the benefit of the doubt there. That, and IGOUGO claim.

For glory, think more nobledark than noblebright; everything's going to shit, throw yourself into the fire in one last time. You don't expect to live, you expect take enough with you to win.

Plugbase is the round bases they've shown that multiple models in a squad go into. Think the War of the Rings trays that GW briefly put out.

And because they found their own version of vibranium ages ago in the form of soulstones from Malifaux. Its only until recently that they joined the global stage as a player.

The dude did seem a little less level-headed than most Malifaux players on here...

I like the Glory mechanic if that's how it is planned, but from hte minimal details visible on the cards in the OP video it seems a bit cheap/easy for units.
Maybe killing off Fireteams is harder than I'm assuming it will be.

As for Abyssinia, and as much as I don't want this to go down in a /pol/pile, it was the African country/nation closest to getting truly onto the world stage as a fully fledged functional nation state pre-Scramble for Africa/colonialism/industrialised slavery days.
Ethiopia wouldn't even have particularly needed elementonium to become a continental superpower, just more aggressive expansion on it's own continent with less aggressive outside interference - it's not like Africa is starved for the natural resources necessary for industrial revolution.

I'd have to see the full rules. From what's shown, each group has their own way of triggering it and its said to replace the morale system, but we haven't heard more than the powering up mechanic. We've yet to see if it a permanent change or temporary one.

I'm just glad to see more diverse things. While I'd love to have seen the Three Kingdoms come into play, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate branching out and seeing how things from outside of Europe would look and play out. I think a lot of naysaying, at least on here and not trolls, is people expecting more like Malifaux, without realizing that those aesthetics don't work on a global army scale.

There's a built in recursion mechanic in the base game that makes finishing off a unit require dedication and focus. Different factions have different levels but it's the best reinforcements type mechanic I've seen.

Glory is something that takes work and planning to make happen. Its worthwhile and mostly permanent. My favorite is how the Cult turns fear tokens into glory. They panic until they transform.

For NDA guy, yes the game largely plays like a more entry level malifaux. That's the goal. Malifaux is the most complicated skirmish in existence. This is built to be accessible, between easily digested rules and pre-built models. This will be the stepping stone, and they don't want people playing this over malifaux. It's too appeal to a different crowd, creating an entry level product and working as a bridge.

I just hope the kickstarter has an option for retailers.

>Malifaux is the most complicated skirmish in existence.
it really isn't.

I'm pretty stoked for it. Abyssinians are my favorites by far, but the rest look good.

Out of curiosity, what is?

No clue! Probably something early on and freakishly niche. But I know for a fact infinity at least is more complex. Malifaux doesn't even have rules for which way a mini is facing.

My mum has learned Malifaux from reading the book alone. The most complex board game she could play was Cluedo. I've played games with her. She knows those rules.

You don't even need to remember much for malifaux, everything you need is right there.

Is this the final nail in the warmahordes coffin?
or is this why they've started to try and fix things

Warmahordes is super weak right now. The market senses weakness and starts attacking like crazy.

Two skirmish game publishers are MN moving now more towards medium model count skirmish games

Infinity is infinitely more nitty gritty.

I quit the game for that reason.

The rules may be more complicated but the nature of the malifaux scenario system requires a lot more out of you during game play.

Most other games use scenarios as a method to force engagement. In Malifaux it's everything.

>yes the game largely plays like a more entry level malifaux.

bah, kinda hoping its gonna be on par with malifaux depth. Since you either know what your talking about or are full of shit, is the ease of play due to units/models/fireteams/whatever the fuck they're gonna be called not being as complex as malifauxs models, or the core mechanics/fundemantles of the game not being as complex/deep?

My favorite one.

Kinda liking the horde. There aren't really main stream mini games that feature a faction that's based entirely around sea monsters

Honestly, I was leaning towards Abyssinia at the start but I think I like the boring colonial brits the most.

Someone's gotta be the normie.

The artist Wyrd uses exclusively for Malifaux and literally all of their games really doesn't do it for me. His style completely dictates the feel of both games now, and I personally find their work very stale and devoid of character that translates into highly detailed but very bland minis.

Hard pass for me.

The mechanics are very similar, and slightly more complex in places. The scenario system isn't the heavy burden it is in Malifaux. Don't get me wrong, Malifaux is awesome, but the biggest barrier to entry is the complex scenario system. Learning twenty ways to score and balancing six in your head every game isn't the easiest thing to adapt to. The Other Side focuses more on the killy bits, with a central scenario. No pile of schemes to sift through.

Warmahordes has great core rules but right now really awful balance, even worse than during the end days of Mk2.
Next month there's incoming an errata that will supposedly fix it.

Both people who still play will be ecstatic

Two weeks ago we had a tournament with 40 players so it's not that dead.

Depends if you consider each model having a shitload of unique abilities complicated.
Different genre I suppose.
Most complicated I would say Malifauxx wins though as Infinity doesn't use unique skills, even though they have rather more complex facings, cover and Melee rules.
Batman is also complicated but forces you to plan ahead with their willpower systems.
Eden, Bushido and Freebooters are also complicated.

The issue with infinity is the horrible rules index and the fact that rules are constantly referential. Levels of abilities for example basically forces you to remember every level of the ability separately, rules exists which is literally another rule + another rule, something that can be handled more elegantly with writing just that.

Malifaux is super fucking easy to learn in comparison. None of the constant compare numbers to each other + number to self. Your shit isn't constantly being interrupted, rules are easier to reference because it's on the fucking cards, no need to go through million steps to just fucking shoot a guy, lot less modifiers to keep track of as well.

getting gud at malifaux is hard, but playing it for sake of playing it is fucking easy

Anyone can learn chess by reading the rule book too, but evaluating a board position is still really skill intensive.

I'd agree that Malifaux isn't super complicated, but it's pretty high up there for complexity. Although I'd completely agree that it likely isn't the most complicated or most complex, considering all the niche stuff out there.

Could you be tabled and still win like in Malifaux? Or is it a game where if your not killing your opponent your always losing?

The complexity comes later at high levels of play and interactions once you learn the basics and get to know your models. At its most basic you can plonk models down and have a grand ole time using the most basic abilities.

Infinity is finniky from the get go with AROs and shit. It would be a lot less complicated if they models just had fucking stat cards like Warmahordes or Malifaux. It's not like people are bringing hundereds of models to the table, they could absolutly make things simpler and more accessible. I play Nomads for Infinity and it's a fucking nightmare to ARO with hacker.

>model moves into LoS
Hold on, my hacker can see you...
>get ruleboom
>check model rules for hacking device type
>check what that tables that device type can hack
>check which of those tables have AROs
>check each individual ability and what it can do

>isn't super complicated, but it's pretty high up there for complexity

Anyone else notice how Abyssinia is almost literally Wakanda?

>Super technologically advanced African nation
>got that way because they have almost all control of a super-rare mineral

It's a pretty common trope. Due to diamond mines there's plenty of African financial powerhouses in fiction.

>Preassembled PVC
And I was so excited

>make the game Malifaux
>make another game that is also Malifaux
why do they keep doing this

>The scenario system isn't the heavy burden it is in Malifaux.
I'm not sure I'm happy about that.
At all.
I don't think the core card mechanic, or the fluff, is really strong enough to survive without the extremely objective-oriented nature of Malifaux gameplay.
If it's just 40k with a deck of cards I will be disappoint.

Nobody anywhere is really pretending WMH is dead, friendo.

>getting gud at malifaux is hard, but playing it for sake of playing it is fucking easy
I think this is probably the difference - it seems like the step up from casual to gud involves a really deep understanding of how a .lot. of things work, and most of those things are virtually completely unrelated to the core mechanics. Float the in-game list building and twenty potential objectives on top of that, and I think it's reasonable to say that it's one of the most complex games out there.

>Abyssians
If the fluff didn't alright dictate that the Egyptians weren't actually more or less Arabic, this would be perfect

My main problem is that while you have lots of drawings of individual guys, you rarely have any actual scenes. There are no illustrations of dudes brawling it out, just the same pictures of guys overlaid on backgrounds occasionally. Same with Through The Breach. There is a drawing of some guys shooting zombies recycled from 1E and that is it. I am glad that they are at least changing that with this game.

What are those two games out of curiosity? I am glad to see games scaling up personally.

>Cult taken over Austria
I thought that the Guild was supposed to be centered in Vienna.

The Cult has taken over the Guild!
Devilish pacts made to cling on to power!
Daemons run amok in the corridors of power!
Infamy!

Malifaux was successful so they decided to make a similar one.

the Abyssinians are cool as fuck, if a little watered down
not totally sold on their big toys but we'll see

What do you mean "keep doing this" this is the first fucking time?

Since the trays have 30 mm holes I hope we'll be able to officially use some of the models from the other side as proxies in Malifaux tournaments

>it's one of the most complex games out there.
I just picked up a crew box after reading the consolidated rules. This look like a nightmare to learn at a competitive level.

I am doubtful about that. They already mandate that you have to base all proxies/alts on the actual model for tournament purposes. It depends on how the TO goes about it however.

Yeah, I am sure the official tournaments will let you use models from a different game instead of forcing you to buy the actual models. It's a fucking business, of course they won't allow it.

I like the looks and what little was shown of the game, and the fact that it comes pre-built is a fucking lifesaver when every plastic crew I do comes at a price of massive frustration in malifaux because they still can't cut models like sane people.

My only gripe is that the token western power is once again the fucking britbongs. Fuck britbongs, they're steampunk equivalent of zombies, everyone's bored.

>the token western power is once again the fucking britbongs
when will we get a faction of uber rich banking technocrats that attempt to subliminally enslave everyone else? lots of fun material to explore.

You always need a safe faction, and for steampunk, its Britbongs.

>They already mandate that you have to base all proxies/alts on the actual model for tournament purposes.
I thought it was "based on Wyrd model" and "recognisably that person"?

Not a huge distinction, but gives a bit more room to work with.

Like that British Empire sniper character would make a fine Freikorps Trapper, for example.

>they still can't cut models like sane people.
My only real complaint re: Wyrd models.
I'll even deal with the tiny pieces and ridiculous contact points, if only they'd stop putting cuts in apparently random places.

>You always need a safe faction, and for steampunk, its Britbongs.
The opposing dominant empire was Germans, wasn't it?
I don't see pre-Nazis being a good angle to take. Or rather, it .would. be cool as fuck but hard to avoid making them appear notNazis and no company is going to try and sell the cool new Nazi army.

>no company is going to try and sell the cool new Nazi army.

GW would.

The Trapper is on a 30mm base though, while the new British guy is on a 50mm. With some heavy conversion sure, but you would have an odd pose as the guy is supposed to be using a tripod.

You pretty much need an encyclopedic knowledge of every model in the game and how they interact with each other and the schemes/strategies to be competitive.

If you're not they there will be tons of "Gotcha!" moments every game.

Current official Malifaux tournament rules:
>Conversions, however, are acceptable. They are an excellent
way to show off your modelling skills, and that is part of the
fun. Original sculpts and conversions are allowed if the
Organizer deems them to be accurate representations of
the models portrayed. If using a model that was converted
with manufactured pieces, no more than 33% of the finished
model may be built using other game companies’ models,
while the rest must be either wholly or a combination of
original sculpt or Wyrd manufactured pieces, as determined
by the Organizer. If a model has an officially released
(non-beta) stat card available, but no model is yet released,
the player may field a conversion, but it must be easily
identifiable, as per the Organizer’s discretion.

Unless they change that, you'd be fine using stuff from The Other Side.

Im feeling ya both here, Wyrd's gone downhill since 2e IMHO prolly cause they lost all their old guys.

Their general game development has gone awry too. The power creep of the new masters is real.

Played against Nelly for the first time the other day. She rocketed a Bishop over 2 feet and killed my Lazarus turn 1. The game went downhill from there since I had a "killy" crew and it's she's almost impossible to kill.

I would say that 2E is an improvement on 1E, but you are right that their style is certainly shifting, and not necessarily for the better. Not only do the new masters generally play differently, but with their MSRP being $50 and each of them consistently having only 6 models there is a shift somewhat of how good of a deal the crew boxes are.

The stuff for TOS seems to suffer as well, especially as the models will use lower detail PVC.

Nelly is good, but you are insane if you think the new releases are a straight up power creeps. You literally played against her for the first time and you think you are fit enough to judge her? Get fucking real.

Just the no cheating damage and she can cheat your damage is too good. Pretty much unkillable.

Reva is also fucking nuts.

>The stuff for TOS seems to suffer as well, especially as the models will use lower detail PVC.
Explains why they didn't even try to make the fishmen skin interesting.

Im most surprised about the lack of Stronk Womyn types in the previews

And Mcmourning can nuke a model for 9 damage ignoring armour and replace it with a full health flesh construct, Marcus can put half your crew on negative flips and have 5 attacks at min damage 4, Sonnia, Wong and Raspy can nuke most of your crew off the board turn 1, all masters have bullshit you need to learn how to counter and just because you haven't learnt how to deal with the new matters doesn't mean they are overpowered.

Drunk Henchman during weekend told that there are some big changes in January 2017 for Malifaux.

Nerf hammer will strike ( for example: belles may have lower CA on lure and lower Wounds)
Also they will switch schemes, which one is on suit, which on number. Some schemes will be changed, some added.
Was that mentioned here? Any other leaks?

But are they unkillable? No.

Nelly can turn a Red Joker on the damage flip into a weak.

You can't attack with conditions? You can't drain her hand? Think a little.

>You can't attack with conditions?
I play Outcasts
>You can't drain her hand?
So I waste the actions of my entire crew to attempt to pull cards out of her hand.

The bitch can shrug off a fully buffed Vik of Blood.

Hamelin blight bomb with Nix can bypass flips
Jack Daw can force card burns.

>Belles getting nerfed
Great, so basically ressur now has to get fucked against gunline crews, thanks wyrd.
Maybe the problem isn't belles, its the fact shit like crooked men can't reliably do their job of countering ranged. This is like the levi nerf, it comes down to massive whining by new players who don't understand how to play against any crew that isnt all shooting or all melee.

Tbh i wouldn't mind belles with lure being 7 and things like beckoners/other lurers being buffed up to 7, the wound nerf is too far.
>Entire crew
Outcast has an amazing debuff/discard game, Jack Daw is an obvious hard counter to Nelly with his curses, but i beat her as Von Schill by using VS to cut up the rest of the crew whilst Nellie was powerless to stop him, the viks should aim for the same.

Consider using Ama No Zako so the horror can drain cards from opponents hand, Montresor can pull journalists away from scheming and be a real hand hater, especially with the new upgrade, with just those two models the enemy should be handless and have multiple models in bad situations.
Another option is to use the mercenary "Anna Lovelace" she has a non randomizing min 3 ranged cast. Sue can make your models incredibly resistant to all of Nellies tricks with his anti-cast aura and with "return fire" the enemy will never want to attack him. Rusty Alyce or Ashes and Dust can create abominations for you that will let you fuck up the 0s and built in suits nellies crew relies on or you can just hire an abomination if you think you can counteract its slow speed somehow, the desolation engine can be a good choice for early threat, since once its killed you get two abominations, it also emits lots of pulse damage, so no flips for her to cheat.

Finally PRIDE. PRIDE COMPLETELY FUCKS UP PEOPLE WHO CHEAT CARDS. This is an obvious way to punish Nellie, since she will take MORE damage if she cheats the damage flip, since SHE is the one doing the cheating, even if its not her flip.

How do I stop the Nelly crew from catapulting a heavy hitter and shredding a key model on turn 1?

We had corner deployment, I moved Lazarus and 2 abominations up their 8". Nelly launched Bishop across the map and killed all of them. 10 wounds doesn't mean shit with Df 4 and armor being ignored.

The excuse for the power creep in the new masters (specifically sandeep and reva, nothing else new is actually power creep) is that "they dont have as many 7s on them as old masters so its ok to give them 4 cache".
Bullshit, Sandeep is a summoner with an amazing toolkit he should be like 2 cache at most especially since he DOESNT HAVE TO PAY FOR HIS TOTEM. Reva is pretty strong and probably should have been 2-3 cache also, but the main reason shes a problem is she has min 3 damage AND ignores reduction with litany of the fallen, i don't think any other ranged master gets to ignore incorporeal and reductions at range AND has min 3. Even levi has terrible min damage and has to deal with cover and randomizations.

Thats like asking "how do i stop the viks slingshotting". I'm afraid you'll have to play around it. Honestly this is pretty similar to the trick Tara does with beast/bishop bombs, you should try to build a crew that doesn't rely on a single model or to clump up your crew once you find out the enemy isn't running Sonnia. Bringing things with terrifying, auras like the C7, healing like the freikorps librarian can help mitigate somewhat, but all in all some of your models are going to get deleted.

Its worth noting Rusty Alyce can stop charges ending near her and Anna Lovelace can stop pushes/places.

Viks can't send a model >2ft on turn 1. So no, it's not like the Viks.

On turn 1 or 2 (depending on deployment/if enemy advances etc) they send one of themselves 21 inches and wipe out 1-5 models.

Turns out 21" is less than 2ft.

That also never goes well, because then your sisters that were used to leapfrog are almost always out of position.

Ramos has armour 2, a defensive trigger that pushes you away from him after resolving and heals when a friendly construct dies, is he unkillable?

Nellie can cheat your damage but it costs her cards, so most of the time she can only do it what, 2 or 3 times a turn, and if you're hitting her for 3 or 4 damage it adds up, or even just doing 1 damage enough times she will go down.

If the enemy loses 15+ soulstones of models (which they will unless you are a complete idiot) it doesn't matter that they are "out of position" your crew will win the game. Of course you lose the sister you sent into the enemy team, but you still have the other one and the enemy is now massively on the back foot.

Also its only 3 inches less than 2 feet you pedantic fuck.

This is something that bugged me about Infinity too. It's cool in theory, but in practice falls apart.

It's one wound and cast 7. Stop crying

Let me get this straight: Bishop dealt 18 wounds after a slingshot? While ignoring armor?

So he did severe damage 4 times, and on his fifth attack did 2? I guess he could flurry twice, but then he'd only hit two targets.

I dunno, seems improbable.

Do you have more info about other models and factions?

Seems like you need to, i dunno, learn to screen models, use terrain to your advantage, use defensive buffs, and maybe generally tech up

flips were as follows
On Lazarus
>severe
>red joker
Abom
>severe
Abom
>severe

Didn't help that I was fucked on the draw. Didn't have a card >7. Didn't think to stone for cards since, you know, turn 1.

Some really bad, bad stuff is getting buffed.

There are more buffs than nerfs.

Nothing being nerfed isn't top tier.

They're fixing the wording on Drinking Contest again. No change in how it's supposed to play, just making the damn rule legible

Ah, so your problem was a bad hand and absurd damage flips.

Nerf Nellie, she's too lucky.

Nice :) Maybe some masters models will be again on tables. I hope some good things for Von Schill and Outcasts

Ah, my assumption was cast 6, which would have been bullshit since most other lures are TRASH thanks to cast six. I also assumed 5-6 wounds.

Hopefully Levi + 9Belles will make a comeback