Battletech Kickstarter: Aurigan Civil War

They both want the allegiance of your elite mercenary Mech company, Veeky Forums, and are willing to pay whatever it takes. Which princess?

>inb4 no impure mixed-race princess will have my aryan seed

The evil black one is hotter, spanish/black is better than maori. My allegiance goes to whoever pays more, but since they probably offer the same, so to whoever is more likley to win already.

>people in the far future born on distant planets list their earth based ancestry from a millenia earlier

It's like if people today mentioned what bronze age tribes they think came from.

>lady
It's clear neither of them is a princess, but whatever.

How is any of this related to the rest of the Battletech universe?

You're tribe a shit

It's 900 years later and space colonization in Battletech was an explicitly ethnic-nationalist undertaking for the early period, so you had whole worlds and systems colonized by just certain countries and races. Shared ethnic identity helps then the same way people still cling to their shared history today from 1100 AD or earlier.

Also they're both princesses in the sense that they're heirs to rival noble houses trying to take control of a petty periphery kingdom. Almost nobody goes by King or Queen (though Prince is popular) in Battletech even if that's what they are.

>Hawaiians
They're literally a dying race. Why do they still exist in Battletech? And how could they possibly own a planet when they're dirt-poor and sucking government teat?

Battletech kickstarter game being done by Harebrained Schemes (they made the Shadowrun games). They were given a small spot in the periphery for a ~3025 era game where nothing historically happened according to canon and were allowed to put a small country there to be their own setting for a Mercenaries campaign.

To give you an idea of how small-time Auriga is, the House that couped the government is backed up by the Taurians, while the royalty-in-exile are backed by the Magistracy.

Can I just kill them both and take the bounties they have on each other?

I don't think they explored the exact ethnic history of the Hawaiians or Maori in Battletech. At a guess, a bunch of pacific island peoples amalgamated during earlier centuries as part of a colonization expedition and "Hawaiian" dominated in part through American influence with Maori mixed in from Commonwealth influence. Whether they're actually genetically predominantly islanders or their cultural traditions are orthodox or heavily westernized is pretty moot, there's been "traditionalist" waves before where people try to get back to some kind of cultural roots they think are important even if they're literally not the same people anymore (modern Greeks and ancient Greeks, for example).

As for owning a planet, there's loads of colonized worlds in Battletech, everybody's got planets - just most of them are kinda shitty. The Aurgian Reach is like a dozen or so worlds so it's not crazy that marginal populations would control a tiny stretch of space in what is literally called The Periphery.

This mercenary is my kind of scum

Cashing the first bounty is easy, it's cashing the second that's the trick. Usually the gratitude of the winning regime and safe ports to spend your new money in are worth more than whatever petty spite-bounty the survivors of the losing side can put up.

Go with Arano. Espinosa has crazy eyes and a sword, Arano has an actual sidearm and will therefore win in a fight.

If I'm a merc, I don't care about the princess. Tell me about the paycheck.

If you don't follow the princess, there is no story. No double cross for more money. Also, the pay is apparently pretty low, since they're freedom fighters.

How can you get paid by a corpse?

So there's only one linear storyline? No multiple endings? Disappointing to be a merc only in name.

But if I have to be a hero instead I suppose I can do that, maybe they'll give me a planet to run once we kick out whoever.

Espinosa.

>working for the MoC
they don't make anything good

Pretty much, but I'm not here to be a hero, I'm here to make a ton of money.

>one shadowhawk and a damaged panther
>elite mercenary company

kek

They don't literally pay you in person. They've got financial institutions, lawyers, and brokers for that. Also, depending on the timeframe, there might be a dedicated mercenary overwatch organization that holds bounties to ensure fair payment for work properly completed, so you might not even have to report to the payer themselves.

>They're literally a dying race. Why do they still exist in Battletech?

same reason there's a stupid number of tartan shortbread-tin style Oh-aye-the-nee scots, and top-o-the-mornin' irish planets too.

Namely Battletech was created by Americans who are obsessed with "mah heritage".

Its the worst downside to the setting.

The business part of the war business is just as important as the war part.

Bonded payments held in escrow are a common part of otherwise shady mercenary dealings.

Burd's the word.

Look at the bright side. You get to keep all the money.

Semi-Inner Sphere diaspora.

Neither, I don't take orders from stripling girlchildren.

Comstar did that in the earlier novels. I remember one mercenary group leader saying something like "If we back out of this contract, Comstar will have our hides." and "Your payment has been deposited in a Comstar account, you get it when the mission is done."

Also: Captain talking to some of his new pilots: "If some of you want to back out now, thats OK. You get your signing money from the Comstar Bond and we drop you off at the next planet we jump to."

I would love to play for the new rulers. If that Arano dude was deposed, he was either a shitty, incompetent and unpopular monarch, or a bleeding heart incompetent monarch. Either way he was too incompetent to notice and act against the rising movement against his heir. Also not preparing the kingdom and ensuring the loyalty of his vassals towards the new heir is dumb.

I'm also sick and tired of the "oh woe is me, an underdog renegade princess out to reclaim her throne taken by the eeeevil guys" story. I want to be able to play for the winning team!

The winning team is the one you side with.
But HBS has only written the story for the renegade princess.

But that's the best part. Or you wanted a multiculti diversity single mixed race setting.

>battletech comes to space brazil
>it's just as messed up as the rest of space

I don't know what I expected

When I was young my first videogame was Mechwarrior 3. Loved it played it as best as I could (non english speaker). Now watching the intro again knowing more english when they kill the Madcat they tell him "die clanner".

Searching on that ive stumbled on quite a lot of lore for clans.

The thing is besides the clans what is the other side? Is there anywhere where I could read the lore on a linear way?
How could I play the TT game online? As there are literally 0 players where I live

>maori
Don't they have spellcheck at battletech?
On an unrelated note, the less race mixing the better so Arano I guess.

1: Sarna.net will have a linear timeline and outline.
The OP.
Check out the Battletech General for copies of the actual documents, books, and in-depth histories.
>>boards.Veeky Forums.org/tg/thread/50542594

2: The Battletech General will also have a way for you to play online in the OP, called MegaMek.

Thank you very much