BOARD GAMES GENERAL

/bgg/ - Board Games General

Previous thread:
Resources (reviewers, Veeky Forums groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

>Santa Is Coming Edition
Do you plan giving someone a board game as a christmas gift - or receiving?

How's your gaming group during the holidays - do you play with your relatives?

What do you prefer playing on the holidays - and how's not going to work this year?

Share that awkward bg related experience with your family you never told anyone of

Other urls found in this thread:

yalescientific.org/2010/09/mythbusters-does-sugar-really-make-children-hyper/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What do you guys think about my Collection?
New to the hobby, about 2~3 months in and this is what I have.

I thought about adding Descent 2E so I'll have some co-op games to play, and it seems like a solid one.

Any opinions on it? I read an saw a bunch of reviews and the first mission, and its ranked pretty high on BGG.

>
>
>

I was surprised when they featured the new Kingdom Death kickstarter in their news section. They basically called it out for not having as much cheesecake as the first one, which is basically the opposite of what I was expecting. Guess they forgot to put on their SJW pants that day.

bretty gud user, might want to branch out into some other genre's though to round it out.

Why space hulk

>I was surprised when they featured the new Kingdom Death kickstarter in their news section. They basically called it out for not having as much cheesecake as the first one, which is basically the opposite of what I was expecting. Guess they forgot to put on their SJW pants that day.
They also called Conan out, not for the females being almost nude, but because they are so few and aside from Belkis not very powerful.
I think they may be moderating in their old age.

>Branch out
Euro's dont appeal to me nor my group, I thought about getting Lords of waterdeep even though im not a fan of the genre if the guys are willing to play it, but its just to slow and boring.

Descent is my try at different type of game, more strategic, co-op / 1 vs all.

Solo / co-op, cheap with great reviews, great theme and it just looks pretty dang good, why not?

Because fuck yeah SPACE HULK!
Spess Muhreens in tactical dreadnought armour fighting dirty xenos on gynormous derelict spaceships!
If you don't read that and get a raging erection, then you're sad and the Emperor of Mankind has no use for you.

> Do you plan giving someone a board game as a christmas gift - or receiving?
In my neck of the woods we give/get presents today. And yeah bought myself Terra Mystica and Lords of Xidit.
> How's your gaming group during the holidays - do you play with your relatives?
I'm planing to bring Codenames and maybe a 1v1 game to play with my brother

Has anyone played 7 Ronin?

They're in the process of playing KD:M for a review apparently, going by their twitter.

He means why don't you have the board game instead of the little girly-man card game

when people talk about space hulk, what version do they mean ?

>not very powerful women in Conan
Some people didn't play the game right then, the two Beliths and Valeria are very powerful and second to none but Conan in terms of pure fighting ability (which makes sense). They can't defend for shit though.

Reposting the question about team games from the previous thread.

> What are the best games that create competing teams. 2v2, 3v3, 2v2v2, whatever. Games where you get a partner or partners you're working with against an equal opposing team.

Any other games you guys know? I'm especially interested in complicated team games (where each player manages his army and economy) and team games with multiple roles (like Captain Sonar, or a strategy game where one player is responsible for strategy, one for tactics and one for logistics).

Games with politics and backstabbing don't count.

Games:
> Cyclades
2v2, 3v3 or 2v2v2. Symmetric roles.
> StarCraft
Team play variant. Symmetric roles (differen races)
> Captain Sonar
team vs team, different roles
> Code Names
team vs team, party game
> Lost valley
2vs2, 3vs3, and 2vs2vs2
> Sails of Glory
technically works with literally any count
> Quartermaster General
Team vs team, n vs m | 1 >= n >= m >= 3

Too lazy to check the counts/verify
> 1775: rebellion
> Arena of the Planeswalkers
> Heroscape

Because I am not sure I like the game enough to spend that amount of money on a game I never played before?

The card game gives you a nice taste for as little as 15$.

Going back to my first question, anyone can recommend Descent to a group of new players as a first co-op / 1 vs all game?

So I just found out about this thing. It looks cool and might attract some people I know who are more interested in videogames.

I haven't played Rum & Bones though. Do you think it might replace it as the essential moba-type game?

It goes up to 9 players (11 with the expansion), so that's a big plus for our group which tends to vary between 5-9 players.

Also, I guess we could add these games to this list:

D2 is nice, but core box limit your choices pretty severely.
With RTL app and delve it has become our favourite dungeon crawler.

But rules written by some asshole, and from mechanical standpoint swia is much better game, in my opinion.

I've been put in charge of bringing games to our office holiday party (no alcohol).
So far my list consists of:
Cash 'n Guns
Codenames
Codenames Pictures
Timeline

Is there anything else you can think of? Keep in mind these are super non-gamers with the closest group being six people who religiously play bananagrams every day (which I hate).

set

Spyfall
DIxit
Cards against humanity (as much as I hate this game, normies seem to love it)

Crossing plays up to 6 and is very simple, quick to play so you can switch groups frequently, and a fun little game of grabbing gems before others do (it's all social/push your luck, not a reflex game) or stealing them from opponents before they stash them.

I think agility games can work well at parties. Tumblin' Dice is simple but requires skill and can accommodate a good number of players if you play in teams.

For more thinky people, Concept and Imagine are based on trying to make people guess a concept or phrase using icons and basic images and can easily be played without keeping track of points for as long as you like.

Of course Werewolf always does well with large groups of casuals as well, if you don't mind being the narrator (or whatever they call the GM).

Is abaddon any good? They have a good deal for it on kickstarter. $40 for both the base game and the expansion. I've been craving mechs lately too.

Bang! Dice, Resistance or Secret Hitler, Las Vegas, Sushi Go, Skull, Telestrations, Say Anything

>Do you plan giving someone a board game as a christmas gift - or receiving?
Recieving this year, taking a break from giving games for once.

>How's your gaming group during the holidays - do you play with your relatives?
Some, they're pretty casual though. Mostly friends.

>What do you prefer playing on the holidays - and how's not going to work this year?
With all the extra time off and weather keeping people indoors more, holidays are ideal Twilight Imperium time.

Tannhauser, if you can find it.

If there's a load of people Two Rooms and a Boom is a fantastic workplace game.
Mafia de Cuba if there's less than a dozen.

? I + .

?

I was sure the core box + app provided hours of gameplay, bow are they limiting?

Also whats swia?

Never heard it. Looks interesting.

>Spyfall
Nah
>Dixit
Possibly
>CAH
Not at work, no.

>Crossing and Tumblin' Dice
Local store doesn't have it
>Concept
That's a good one!
>Werewolf
Completely forgot about this one. It's on the list.

Problem with Two Rooms and a Boom is I work in a hospital, and security doesn't appreciate talk of bombs and terrorists...

>Problem with Two Rooms and a Boom is I work in a hospital, and security doesn't appreciate talk of bombs and terrorists...
Oh god, the sheer potential for shenanigans is beyond belief.
user, you have a mission.

These are all the same questions from two threads ago, aren't they?
>No euros
I like CE and CC but eventually I'd get tired of all the yelling. Lords of Waterdeep is not necessarily the best euro you can buy. Something like Dominion or Catan might suit you better
>Lost Valley team play
I guess you could theoretically do it but you'll be severely disappointed by the lack of actual teamwork involved
>1775
It's an equal number of players per team iirc but with asymmetric powers. If you're ok with that you should really check out COIN games
It WILL be shit
>11 players
Run and don't look back
Star Wars Imperial Assault

>It WILL be shit

I think I'll enjoy it based on some gameplay videos I've seen. My group won't care that much anyway, they enjoy anything between CaH and TI3.

>Run and don't look back

I see no correlation between high player count and quality in thematic boardgames, please enlighten me!

I believe it's not about the gameplay, but the downtime. If 11 people are around the table and the game isn't lightning fast, people won't be engaged in the game between their turns.
11 tickets to Boredom city.

What are the characteristics of COIN games?

Card-driven action mechanics, loads of asymmetry in both player goals and mechanics, but less hidden information than you'd expect form the theme.

It's middleweight and has simultaneous action selection. The AP won't be much of a problem once we're familiar with the rules. The box says 1-2 hours though so I sure AM concerned about how engaging it actually is.

Rum & Bones seems to solve this issue with dynamic gameplay and less players, which is mostly why I consider it an alternative.

>Card-driven action mechanics, loads of asymmetry in both player goals and mechanics

Ah so it's not strictly a team vs team game?

>What are the characteristics of COIN games?
Lots of asymmetry should be expected, the FBI or other alphabet soup agency might be involved as well. Expect to be kept occupated for a long time.

Not as such, some of them have factions with goals that align in some areas, but that cooperation is virtually never 100%, such as between the Coalition and Interim government in A distant Plain.

Ok thanks, not really my cuppa then. Trying to get out of games with politics.

Descent's a decent choice, if you don't like the 1 vs all you can try the app that makes it co-op. If you still don't like it it resells pretty well.

Thanks man, last questions about Descent
How long is the game?
If I run a campaign, how long is it from start to finish (playing with 4 heroes and an overlord), how long is the app campaign, and do you need to keep playing with the same people or do you just reset it.

Nox was literally fifty cents
I think I got gypped

Do you shop at your FLGS? What percent of your games are bought online at this point?

Almost all my games come from online, my FLGS is filled with autismos so I have two groups I formed on my own.

90-95%
The other 5-10% is Barnes and Noble and Target
Fuck my local they don't support board games and most of their dusty shit has been sitting on the shelf 3+ years now

My FLGS isn't bad. They give a default 15% off retail price and have some nice sales every so often along with a decent selection that includes some very oddball things you wouldn't expect. Like any game store though, MtG rules their play area. I understand they don't have infinite space and these guys bring in the money on the spot with minimal investment needed, but I have never gone there outside of the morning and seen an opportunity to play a boardgame.

Closest FGS is not L. 95% of my games have been online buys, and I've only bought a few when I'm on a trip.

What's a good game for under $20? It's for a secret santa gift.

I've only bought one game at my local game store, and 3 at Barnes and Nobles.
The prices never come close to online, the selection is an afterthought, and MTG dominates the store anyways.

Rhino hero if they have kids, No Thanks if they dont

His kids are 3 and 1

It's never too early to start breeding an addic- erm , hobbyist

The games recommended look good. I hope he has time to play games...

>Time
>2 kids
Hahaha you silly user.

No, but I play tons of games there since I'm one of the few fa/tg/uys around social enough to talk to casual customers and teach people how to play the boardgames without undermining people and trying too hard.

Can confirm. Best thing about babysitting as an uncle is that I can rev up my 3 nephews with sugar and theobromine and then send em off in the evening to my brother. Sweet revenge, bro. Literally.

Ticket to Ride is a classic.

I'm new to the boardgame scene so I just go into the actual store and talk with the owner and get ideas on what to buy that I could play with some friends. I would rather pay a little more and support a local seller than spend it online from a big chain store for a little less money. There are a lot of local game stores in my area that I didn't even know existed (I have several small towns within an hours drive from me that have 1-3 stores in them and they are open until 11pm when every other store closes at 5pm because they are 'Christian')

The problem is I don't have the time to regularly go in and play games with people even though I would like to. Only 2 of the closer stores to me offer MTG on every night but that doesn't interest me. I'm more of a casual board gamer.

What are some good board games that can be done solo?

Any interesting dungeon-crawlers? Saw Fireteam Zero this weekend and it looked neat.

Yes, but same monsters with same map tiles, items, classes.

Star wars: imperial assault.

Shadows of Brimstone is worth a look, heard it recommended several times for solo play.

When is Twilight Struggle's 2016 reprint going to be released? And what is the difference in the "deluxe" version versus whatever else exists?

I really want to get this game for < $40, but I'd also like to get the latest stuff.

I guess my biggest problem will be finding someone else willing to go through it with me at first.

All of my lgs's are MTG: the store and sometimes they have a copy of Munchkin for 30$

>Top 10 boardgames
>Half of them are from the last 2 years

Have games gotten really good or has the cult of the new become this toxic?

Has anyone played the new edition of Runebound, how's it hold up? I always like 2nd Edition but never managed to snag a copy of it for a reasonable price, not to mention all the expansions were even harder to get a hold of.

there are a lot of OOP games near the top, so that makes up for it

>Star Wars Rebellion

Is it even that good? Seems like glorified Risk.

They are different. IMO its hit or miss, and really depends on personal tastes. Played second edition last week, after purchasing it... It was tedious grindy dicefest, sold it asap, and bought third edition. And it feels much better for me. Streamlined gameplay, new tactical combat instead of throwing dice while somebody dies... New character building system is great addition too. Some players dislike fact, that 3ed come with timer integrated into gameplay, so it may feel more like race game.
Also PvP aspect has been removed almost completely. There is expansion box, that resolves in ffa battle royal between heroes, and one hero can challenge each other hero to combat once. death in 3ed has much smaller repercussions.

But I think, that 3 ed is improvement over 2 ed.

P.s. 3ed map is beautiful

>3ed come with timer integrated into gameplay
How so?

Also I never really saw much pvp happen the times I played 2nd, but I imagine someone will homebrew some rules or they'll spit out a full expansion on pvp. I do like the way they're handling the smaller, focused expansions.

I can say it's drastically different from Risk or most games in general. A massively un-talked about gem of the year, but it is a long and heavy game that's only 2 players. 4 player mode is the biggest joke of a mode.

Area control and combat are elements but a lot of the game is decided by a hand of missions you tell people to go on in sectors and other players can send their heroes to disrupt those missions or just work on missions of their own. In a strait up fight the Empire has way more power and production, but the Rebels win by keeping their secret base hidden and protected and are more focused on completing objectives to shorten the clock.

>giving
going to dump my copies of Love Letter, Sushi Go and Cave Troll onto my niece this year

>receiving
the best gift I can ask for is to get my PnP copy of Skirmish Wars: Colonize completed, massively grateful for my Saturday group helping out for getting enough for 2P done

>group during the holidays
no idea

>play with relatives
I could pull the interest of the youngins, oldfags won't care though

>prefer playing on the holidays
I'm really hoping I receive Cave Evil: Warcults and Zimby Mojo before Christmas because those are my most hyped games for the current Gregorian calendar year

>how's not going to work this year?
I haven't taken more than a week off in four years, I'm actually pretty pumped

Duel of Ages II should fit the bill pretty well and can work with uneven player numbers if people are willing to manage more characters, has enough strategy and management involved to be considered complicated (highly variable character powers and stats, characters relying on using ranged weapons which need to be picked up and most likely traded) and also scales up to 8 players, 16 with the expansion. I believe it's currently OOP (pretty sure the Master Set is and boy is that an expansion and a half) but I imagine there will be another print run sometime this decade as the designer is working on another expansion

friend of mine runs a LGS so I get everything I can from him, but being in 'Straya means that most stuff I want will never get distributed here

Both my FLGSs have had huge price hikes because lolcanadianeconomy. It's cheaper to buy online or even from Chapters/Indigo. I just picked up the Harry Potter deck building game for someone at Chapters for $20 cheaper than either FLGS.

>Do you plan giving someone a board game as a christmas gift - or receiving?
Planning to give my brother Unusual Suspects. We have this dumb joke at conventions where we play Guess Who but don't describe at all how they look, and we have to make definite yes-no answers. Hearing that they made a game around that joke sounds entertaining, or at the very least should provide new faces to use.
>How's your gaming group during the holidays - do you play with your relatives?
Thanksgiving was a disaster in that I didn't even get a chance to pull them out but I hope to recover. Bringing Cash n Guns, Ticket to Ride, and Codenames again. I might only play 1 but the options are there.
>Share that awkward bg related experience with your family you never told anyone of
My parents have had us play Phase 10 a lot as kids. My sister will play anything, my brother used to be pretty ignorant of what good design was, but I always knew even before getting introduced to stuff past mass market shit that Phase 10 was terrible. I sucked it up for so many years, this christmas is my time for revenge.

I feel like Spyfall is the kinda game you wanna play with the improv crowd, the drama class kids and the roleplayers. It puts a lot of pressure on you to come up with something quick, otherwise the game falls flat pretty quick.

Coup, Sushi Go, Love Letter, the list goes on forever

>possess Bang! with HN, FoC and VoS
>Dodge City not edited anymore
>not a single flaming copy in my language (frog speak) on the whole internet
At this rate, I'm gonna have to sell my copy and get The Bullet. Pains me not being able to keep the small boards and the small bullets.

Just picked up pic related today after playtesting it in my FLGS.

Anyone got any experience with the game or interesting stories?

It is time.

There is time tracker on the game board. It has three types of spaces (I think): empty, story and adventure tokens update. Usually game takes two full tracks and in second act fight adventures become little harder, so 12 + 12 turns to complete scenario objective.
Tokens are refreshed each sixth turn, story cards drawn each third.

About PvP, I think, that it's easy to home rule it into the game if players want to fight

Also, o forget another issue, that some players have with the game: it still has almost no interaction between players outside of combat, so some find, that best experience is to play it as duel game.

Whoever it is that keeps shilling the Valley of Kings Deckvuilding Gsme, thank you

Hey, /vr/gin here.

Does /bgg/ have any good links to resources on board game design? My roommates and I came up with some interesting concepts over drinks the other night, and I was hoping to find some good reading on the finer points of design.

Someone posted a book last thread. A book's name, rather. Check out if you can find it here

There's a boardgame design general up intermittently, try the archive too

Thanks guys!

Sugar really doesn't work as a stimulant it's effect on children are mostly due to adults expecting the children to be stimulated by sugar.

Try caffeine and amphetamines.

Arguably, the only new games on that list are SW: Rebellion and Scythe.

Pandemic and 7 Wonders Duel are remakes, Through the Ages is a second edition to a very well received game,

>Duel of Ages II
Thanks man, added to the list.

I'm reading through The Characteristics of Games by George Skaff Elias, Karl Robert Gutschera, and Richard Garfield totally worth the read (even if you're more interested in playing/analyzing games not game design).

The Design of Everyday Things (it's the UX bible)

Things I haven't read but are supposedly good (may be computer game centric)
A Theory of Fun
The Art of Game Design: A book of lenses

design is fucking hard

the idea is there but i cant get past the basic of what i want and actually make a rule set that works with it

Forgot to add the image ( ._.)

This was it! /v(isito)r/ is still around perhaps?

Is Veeky Forums kill?

Sugar rush is pretty real man, as is the crash afterwards.

yalescientific.org/2010/09/mythbusters-does-sugar-really-make-children-hyper/

Whussat? Sye-inse? Nah boy, we ain't 'bout to start believin' in no goshdarn mumbo-jumbo 'round this here parts. Now git with yer fancy big words.

No prob senpai, although I think there's more than one if us. I finally got a play in of the 3rd game, might just be my favourite out of all 3 now.

>Do you plan giving someone a board game as a christmas gift
No, but my brother had his birthday recently and I got him the Kingdom Builder Big Box.
>or receiving?
Dominion and Terry Mystica are on my wishlist. Also expecting the Scythe addon in the next few days/weeks.

*Terra

bump

Amazon has some board games on sale today

I believe what GMT means by "deluxe" is that the overall quality of the components is better.
The map is mounted (as in a proper board, not just paper sheets), and the cards and chits are thicker with a more durable finish.