/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Fighter UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/fighter
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread What was the worst/best UA?

>left the (embed)
ONE JOB

Eh, I was going to wait for the previous thread to hit 6 or so but whatever.

>Didn't remove (embed)
ONE FUCKING JOB.

Best UA? I dunno, the cleric one was pretty good, but Forge seems a bit too powerful. Fighter had two good ones, and two pointless ones.

Best UA was unfucking the ranger right before I was going to try playing one.

Did it actually unfuck it? I was playing a Beast Master before it released and we haven't met since.

It swung a little too hard toward OP but it is much more useful imo.

How is it possible that so many people are so utterly devoid of the two brain cells needed to rub together to proofread an OP? It's not just this general either, fuckheads on Veeky Forums do it pretty much constantly. At one point I remember there being a string of like 5 [embed]s after a youtube link.

Any point to using a 2h weapon as a protection cleric? You get to impose disadvantage without a shield, too, but really what the fuck is the difference between d8 and d10 when you only get one attack

Apologies, I was too busy laughing at my own retarded joke.

Repostin from last thread.
New DM trying to make my own magic items as a reward from a tribe, how does this sound for a level 5 party?
This +1 longbow deals magic damage for resistances to non-magical weapons. This bow has 5 charges, regaining 1d4+1 after every long rest. While using this weapon, the user can expend one charge to cast hail of thorns, with a DC of 13. You can expend multiple charges to increase the level of the spell, up to 3 charges.
For a fey college bard

Hey guys check out this swood homebrew I brewed up

Is the D&D Wiki supposed to be a bunch of homebrew crap or is it actually a wiki of useful info?

Dand wiki is mostly shit. You might find something good if you look real hard and you're lucky enough

The first one

dandwiki (pronounced: dan-dwicky) is nothing but toxic garbage, previously 3.5e-oriented but now with 5e homebrew as well. Avoid any and all content within.

Homebrew garbage.

It's a few good ideas with crappy execution and a lot of bad ideas with even worse execution.

Ready for the inevitable zen archer next UA?

oh god please no

I know this isnt meant to be serious but
> If you chose strength,
your unarmed strikes deal extra damage equal to your Buff Mage level
1 level monk, 6 levels buff mage, deal 2d8+12+2xmod every turn
> 1d8 piercing damage
why piercing
>In fact just all of muscle magician
extra damage for level, or advantage on THREE(3) saving throws, or 10 speed? why is that even an option?
>your coloring book that you call a spellbook
This made me laugh desu

Where do I go to get a good, complete list of spells, weapons, and magic items from 3.5e, 4e. and 5e? Especially 5e?

The trove in this thread. Otherwise the SRDs have some of the stuff.

Well for 3.5 you can just go to the old hypertext SRD. Just search 3.5 SRD, it's the first result.

As of now, 5e doesn't have anything of the sort, unfortunately.

For 4e, there might be something of the sort, I'm not sure.

For 5e, you can use donjon, dndmagic.com or 5esrd.

Official or homebrew?

Disregard what I said, I'm a fucking moron.

Was not aware there was a 5th edition SRD. Good to know.

There's the PHB for starters

Thanks, that'll help.

Only official.

PHB and Sword Coast Adventurers Guide contain all the officially sanctioned classes, afaik. Then there's the Elemental Evil supplement which contains races and spells.

There are many official Unearthed Arcanas with other class options, but they're not consolidated into one document anywhere because they're beta test material

As for magic items, they're all in the DMG, but that's not really for the player to browse. Mundane equipment is found in the PHB.

It's interesting how dandwiki is the first place everyone seems to find when trying to find things online.

And of course everything they find there is completely wrong, but they still think it's okay to use it without asking the DM since it's the D&D Wiki and all.

So I'm wanting to play a tomelock that picks up shillelagh and green flame blade, then wades into battle. The idea is that being easier to hit would be a good thing since I would later spells like armor of agathys and fire shield, along with using the occasional hellish rebuke. Any build advice for a punishment fueled shillelaghlock?

Tbh I think i'll steal that idea, thats cool as fuck. High Con and Charisma, not sure on how much armour to wear for that build though, or even if wearing a shield would be a good idea

A hippogrif the party tamed had a really shit hp roll, i wanted to give him levels in fighter or barbarian or something but i'm not really sure how i'd give it that first experience level, beyond that, is this a good idea anyway?

You still don't want to be super easy to hit, though if you do go that angle I would suggest going for Constitution and Charisma for durability and damage.

If you can pick up Medium armor from somewhere or a shield it would help a lot. Perhaps a level in Fighter for Second Wind and a fighting style wouldn't be amiss.

Shillelagh is a Druid cantrip which uses Wisdom. You can get it as a High Elf cantrip but then it's wisdom. RAW, you can't get Charisma Shillelagh.
You might be able to convince your DM to let you get it some other way but that's up to your DM.

You can get it as a High Elf but then it's intelligence I meant. Whoops

Pact of the Tome? This isn't new.

High Elves can only get Wizard cantrips, Tomelocks get a small selection of cantrips from any spell list as Warlock cantrips. Congratulations, you were wrong on both counts.

Do you even Tomelock, bro?

Also Bards can totally get shillelagh too.

Shillelagh says it uses your Spellcasting Ability.
A Warlock's Spellcasting Ability is Charisma.

Holy shit I'm retarded. Totally forgot about the Pact of the Tome

Does anyone have a good top view token for a female aasimar paladin?

I just read the description for diamond soul for the first time.

How strong is this ? it seems very strong

Standard monk feature, all good saves.

It doesn't matter because it's a class feature that comes into play beyond level 10 so it will never come up in play and therefore balance is meaningless.

I've been looking into multiclassing, but the base rules are a bit unclear (as i read them at least)

Are your level bonus abilities based on your character or class level? As in if you took 1 level in fighter, and 19 in rogue, would you not get the lvl 20 rogue bonus ability?

>the old "average game ends at level 10" meme
I'm sorry you've never played an above average game, user.

>It doesn't matter because it's a class feature that comes into play beyond level 10 so it will never come up in play and therefore balance is meaningless.
This, I dunno why people car about abilities beyond this level

What sort of gay ass niggas are you playing with?

Search your heart. You know it's true

The average game ends before 10, friend.

>What sort of gay ass niggas are you playing with?
I play with people who can't tell the difference between attack and damage rolls

>The average game ends before 10, friend.
There was a WotC poll saying this

Not him, but average means just that. There are still lots of players playing beyond those levels, just not nearly as many as pre level 10.

I will literally kill you for that pun.

Class level. Otherwise you could take one level of every class and gain all their abilities.

I think only cantrips are affected by your character level.

For all its flaws it is nice that the AL can actually let you play 10+ characters, especially with T3 adventures finally starting to make their way into it.

Cantrips and Proficiency bonus.

And spell slots

>Proficiency bonus
Oh yeah, that too.

I don't think you're supposed to gain any spell slots for non-caster class levels.

I figured as much.

So why do i see so many people dipping into multiclasses? It feels like losing later class features is punishing just to gain level 1 features.

Or is this just trading early game for late game knowing you arent getting that far?

And number of hit die.

You would not. When multiclassing:

-Your proficiency bonus and cantrip levels are based on CHARACTER not class level, so a level 2 fighter/1 ranger/1 paladin/1 rogue still has the same proficiency bonus (+3) as a level 5 rogue. A level 1 wizard/4 fighter still gets 2d10 firebolts, etc.

-You only get the proficencies of the class you took at level 1, unless otherwise noted in the multiclassing table.

-ASIs are tied to CLASS not character level. So our 2/1/1/1 friend up there would not have gotten an ASI yet.

>new guy joins the group
>plays the exact same race/class and fucking background as me, my character being the longest living character in the group dating back to when it started

Is it bad that this really irks the fuck out of me? Like this dude couldn't have done something different?

>Or is this just trading early game for late game knowing you arent getting that far?

A little. Often the best class feature a class offers is in the first 3 levels, so 17/3 is worth it.

Doing Sorcerer 17/Warlock 3 gives you infinite spells for example.

That has its own weird way of scaling based on class levels though. The other two are universally scaled by overall character level.

>he doesn't realize the DM conspired with this guy to give him a secret background as a doppleganger infiltrator who is attempting to steal your identity and life
You're gonna wake up one night to a perfect clone of yourself pressing a dagger into your neck and rolling your body into a ditch. In the morning, the rest of the party will wonder where the new guy went, and "you" will say he must have fucked off, how mysterious, oh well.

This is a very big help. Thanks!

The book is very vague on the topic

Huh. Guess I'll have to fuck around with this a bit more.

Thanks

Some of the first class abilities are really good, and some of the level 18-20 abilities are crap.

Overall I don't think you really need to worry about multiclassing in most games, it feels like for at least for the first five or ten levels it's better to focus on a single class.

Because multiclassing can help you fine tune a character, get more options, or otherwise get some kind of mechanical bonus. Some examples:

-Fighter 3/Rogue X loses out on sneak attack damage, but can get superiority dice for example.

-Monk/druid for wildshape AC bonuses.

-Bard/Warlock to get ranged damage and even more utility onto a bard.

-Bard/Rogue 1 for the ultimate skill monkey.

-Eldritch Knight X/Wizard 1 to learn more 1st level spells.

-Any class in the game can benefit from going fighter 2. Action surge is THAT good.

Most games never make it to level 20, so losing out on a capstone is not a big deal usually. Some classes don't care about their capstone, or get more benefits to make up for it.

As an example, I'm planning a bugbear assassin out. Fighter 5/Rogue X. I slow down my rogue progression a lot which mostly matters for sneak attack damage...but I get more attacks, keep my ASIs on track, and more damage through a fighting style (dueling) along with the damage and utility of superiority dice. While it eventually focuses mostly on rogue, it will play very differently to most of them in ways a normal rogue couldn't really do.

It does seems less beneficial than in other systems i've used.

DMing some beginners soon so i'll encourage them to avoid for simplicity sake.

Merry Christmas, I made something and humbly offer it to you: Winter/Holiday themed archetypes

It's also on DM's Guild if you're crazy enough to give me money

Yeah, Multiclassing in 5e is far more often a tradeoff. It doesn't often give massive benefits compared to just a single class, and when it does it's usually just for a single level to nab a nice combo.

If you have new players, it's better off to ban multiclassing along with variant humans. Lets the players focus entirely on learning a single class, picking a subclass, and then eventually getting feats at level 4 to customize more.

>Warlock of Santa

and in Whoville they say, user's penis grew three sizes that day

Do you find this approach weakens your "role" in the party at all, or is it just a different way to do roughly the same work.

As in are you less of a "rogue" and more of a fighter even though you are technically (class level-wise) a rogue?

I'm concerned with having a party member feel roles are being doubled up on.

>merlin wizard

Nice, I want a fighter/paladin to mentor now

Not familiar with variant humans. You just mean the different backgrounds in the handbook?

>Ban variant humans
Except feats aren't even that strong unless you're going for some weird niche build. If a player is picking a simpler class like fighter, ranger or even sorcerer, feats are an easy way to give them something extra to flavor up their character.

>infinite spells
?

>Not banning feats altogether
This is the right way play

That Sorcerer is basically a favored soul but I rike it

pretty much all of that stuff is solid user good work. And this comes from someone who hates homebrew and doesn't allow UA

It depends on what you're building. I Don't think the bard 1/rogue 1 steps on anyone's toes because nothing else even comes close to being as much of a skill monkey as that.

In the case of my assassin, not really. It's a build I'm making because making a super sword master assassin like something out of an Akira Kurosawa film seemed like a fun build. It's built to sneak and do damage, and in particular do a LOT of damage through the synergy of sneak attack and attacks of opportunity. Most rogues dip in and out of combat dealing sneak attacks - this character stands on the front line with the other tough martials punishing enemies for coming into its reach no matter what they do.

Basically, there's an option humans get where they can trade their bonus to all ability scores for a bonus to 2 along with a feat. It tends to be a rather build-focused thing to get one so early, and while it can be nice for flavor, it might be a bit much to consider for newer players.

I recommend against it less for power concerns and more for complexity. If someone is new to the game, having to look through a list of feats and pick a list of extra benefits on top of their class doesn't make things easier to learn.

Better to wait until level 4 when somone has gotten a grasp of their own class and how the game works.

No way, then I can't play my Spear Mastery fighter.

I'm the party tank.
My first level was Fighter.
The following SEVEN have been Monk, and I'll be taking another Fighter next.
I am still the best tank.

my buddy is running a combat sim session, where we just make characters and fight cool monsters

I'm going to do a sorcerer warlock, always hear you guys talking about it. everyone is explicitly making munchkin characters

the first fight is going to be at level 3, how would you guys do it? 1 sorc 2 lock?

I can dig it. Just didnt want to fake people out to think you are a sneaky utility character and actually be more of a warrior.

Yeah just realized what you meant. Thanks

What has the single fighter level given you? It feels like an odd choice for a monk.

Nah. While I'll be taking the assassin archetype and doing my fair share of sneaking for those sweet, sweet crits, once combat starts I'll be standing shoulder to shoulder with the barbarian and such. At level 10:

-If they attack an ally next to me, I sneak attack them.

-If they attack me and miss thanks to my high AC, I sneak attack them with Riposte.

-If they attack me and hit, I only take half damage.

So I'm more of an agile fighter character than a straight up rogue.

Don't you need to surprise them to do sneak attack damage?

nigga what

read nigga read

Nevermind i glossed over reposte

>Survive on nothing but Milk and Cookies
Thank you based user.

Saves I value more, heavy armor and shield proficiencies.

Nah. The rules for sneak attacks are:

-If you have advantage, you can sneak attack.

-If there is an ally within 5ft of the enemy, you can sneak attack.

-You get 1 sneak attack per turn (not round - that is, 1 sneak attack per turn of everyone involved in the combat though that typically just means 2 max)

The surprise round thing is particular to the assassin's assassinate ability, which automatically crits. So with this build I take sentinel at level 4 and the riposte maneuver from battle master to do sneak attack AoOs. So by standing next to an ally, I can use sentinel to attack the enemy if they attack my ally, or if they attack me and miss through riposte. And since I'm standing next to an ally I still get my sneak attack.

>heavy armor and shield proficiencies.

but... both of those invalidate unarmored defense and a lot of monk abilities

???

Monk loses most of their abilities if they wear armor or use shields.

And you must be using a ranged or finesse weapon for the sneak attack, forgot to add that in.

Check the PHB again.