/kdm/ /kdmg/ /kdg/ - Kingdom Death: Monster General

Manhunter Edition

Old thread: >what is Kingdom Death
Monster Hunter the board game, set in the world of Berserk.

>which pledge do I get
If you don't have the game, get the Lantern pledge. If you do have it and just want to update it, get the upgrade pack. Everything else can be added on from those two pledges.

>is the stuff in the upgrade pack a stretch goal?
No.
>is the stuff in the gamblers chest a stretch goal/is it random
Not a stretch goal. Everything on the table, revealed or not, will be in the chest. The gamble is just that you don't know what's in it yet.

>what are the stretch goals?
There aren't any, really. We blew the lid off this campaign so hard, we unlocked everything and more in the first day. So instead of posting 40 days worth of content at once, he is staggering the reveals. Everything is already unlocked though.

>i won't get the game till 2020???????
No. read the shipping section on the kickstarter page. The game ships in 2017. 2020 is a worst case scenario for some of the very very early in production items, not the game itself.

>links
Kickstarter Page: kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-monster-15/description
Adams comments: kickstarter.com/profile/poots/comments
Rules errata: kingdomdeath.com/wp/faq/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w4JM7fD_mPM
kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-monster-15/comments?cursor=15296269#comment-15296268
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Not McLeach

but I'll take it.

>>what are the stretch goals?
>There aren't any, really.
This is a lie. There was the Satan stretch goal.

Which was hidden and unannounced, and above all, unplanned.
Those with knowledge from the previous Kickstarter were expecting something, but we officially didn't have a clue that Adam had something ready for it.

Still a stretch goal.

That is true.

Hello all, researching-the-game-person here.
So okay, I just watched year three, this:
youtube.com/watch?v=w4JM7fD_mPM
And I really dislike the combat now. BUT. I do understand that these are new characters/beginning monster/bad dice.
So rather than filing the combat section away under 'garbage tier', I want ask Veeky Forums, what do you consider the best/your favorite monster/encounter?

If you haven't seen the video, it's basically them walking after a giant antelope down a linear hunt.
Then in the fight it has high toughness, regeneration, and runs away from them. They're there repeating the same shit for over an hour. It's not good advertising.

So in contrast to that, do you know of any videos of this game that you would describe as "playing it the way it's meant to be played"?
Good players, good monster, fun time, etc.

Your FACE is a stretch goal.

Every monster has it's own flavor. Antelopes aren't so bad, for example, if you place well and have range or mobility. Honestly, I consider antelopes to be more or less autowin fights, and they go pretty fast. helps, too, if you farm the acanthus quickly yourself.

Poots is adding my face to the game? How, and why?

The first kikestarter had bonus pledge to have survivor head sculpted after yourself... could happen again.

The Antelope's entire gimmick is the fucker sprints away at the drop of a hat. Its an ANTELOPE. You have to be careful what directions you attack it from, because otherwise it will run you over. You want to chase it into a corner of the board, or ping it with ranged weapons. If you know what you are doing, its over pretty quick.

The first time you fight any monster is a shit show, because you don't know how the monster plays until you fight it.

The Flower Knight, for example, is built around an easily gameable Fairy Ring mechanic. But we didn't know that until we fought him, since reading ahead is cheating and lame. So while he becomes a fairly easy fight once you know what you are doing, the first team our group sent at him got TPKed because they went against him with the wrong equipment spreads and made bad tactical calls due to inexperience with that particular enemy.

The White Lion is really the only fight in the game where its just a simple face-beating fight. Every other fight requires you to alter you tactics pretty significantly if you don't want to get rolled.

>The White Lion is really the only fight in the game where its just a simple face-beating fight. Every other fight requires you to alter you tactics pretty significantly if you don't want to get rolled.
And even then this stops being true when you fight the level 2 white lion. That thing is an enormous piece of shit, I tell you hwat.

It's a starter quarry, the combat gets much better. The game really shines when you have complex interactions between gear and AI, and these guys simply don't have much gear yet.
There's a ruleset which lets you skip the first en or so lantern years, and an expansion planned which, well, expands on this (your dudes take over an existing settlement after killing its leader).

>So while he becomes a fairly easy fight once you know what you are doing, the first team our group sent at him got TPKed because they went against him with the wrong equipment spreads and made bad tactical calls due to inexperience with that particular enemy.
This is why I love the new scout mechanic, it makes sense out of the survivors' knowledge and gear somehow getting back to the settlement.

I fucking love the Scout's "I've seen some shit" expression in the artworks and sincerely hope it will translate into the sculpt.

Honestly that fight was a shitshow because they're not really doing it properly. A sensible person would look at all the mood cards that start in play, realise that the fucking thing regenerates when it eats acanthus, and clear the board of the stuff in the first couple of rounds.

>The Antelope's entire gimmick is the fucker sprints away at the drop of a hat. Its an ANTELOPE. You have to be careful what directions you attack it from, because otherwise it will run you over. You want to chase it into a corner of the board, or ping it with ranged weapons. If you know what you are doing, its over pretty quick.

Well to clarify, they did exactly that. The middle player had played the game before.
They just couldn't penetrate the antelope's hide with their bone weapons, which was all they had at the time the monster was introduced. They didn't seem to be in any real danger.

Are you supposed to hunt a bunch of lions for gear before moving on?
It reminded me of those cases in 40krp where the GM provides an encounter too tough to hit, and players are just rolling blanks.

I can see how it would be easy with better gear. But I don't quite see how it would ever be fun. So I guess I'm asking if this is just 'tutorial mode'?

The antelope doesn't have that high a toughness unless it got some nasty cards out.

Hunting a few lions at the start is advisable, both to make lion/rawhide armor and to get yourself the Weaponcrafter and its superior armaments. A couple weapons with 3-5 strength and preferably no frail (Though the ever-popular Zanbato is good enough WITH frail) will make quick work of level 1 lions and antelopes. Upgrading to level 2 enemies is a little more iffy. If they were hunting an Antelope 2 with bone weapons they deserved what they got.

I suppose, if your curious if you would enjoy this game, let me pose you this quick question.

Did you play xcom or xcom two on classic or hard? Did you enjoy it? the answer is probably roughly similar to what you will feel about dark sou-I man KD:M.

>The antelope doesn't have that high a toughness unless it got some nasty cards out.

Brief description:
It only regenerated once, they got the rest of the plants.
It got a +toughness token early.
It got some -strength insects on them.
It got a free bucking attack if in its blind spot.

They had hunted two lions previously before the creature was introduced.
They reduced it to a couple run around AI cards. Most of their damage was from founding stones.
They stayed after it, diagonal to avoid trampling, and rolled misses for most of the hour plus.

The tactic to defeat the creature was obvious, but the fight definitely grew stale and tedious as a result. I'd consider it a 'farm creature', in MMO terms.

I adore classic Xcom. But I also don't believe it translates well to tabletop because it's meant to be played by one person: there's not much for others to do.

My favorite part of the game so far is the FTL-like settlement decisions, but they've been few and far between.

But again, I've not seen any expansions nor a 'lategame' demonstration.

>X-com Classic
You all mean UFO: Enemy Unknown, right?

RIGHT?

>UFO: Enemy Unknown

You mean Bravery: The Meatgrinder. Where the worth of a man comes down to a single two digit number representing an abstract component of his psyche.

Everyone just calls it xcom classic, though.

Sounds like they focused on making armor before weapons, and wrongly decided it was time to take on an antelope. Personally I farm Lions until after the Butcher.

The way I see it, any soldier that keeps it together long enough to prime HE and get so far from the rest of the team that he won't be able to jog back in a single round of panic is asset to the team.

> that one grunt with Bravery 99

If I had ten men like him, I could win this war in a week.

So no update today? Just the roll and the challenge?

He didn't expect people to actually beat the level
He's drawing out the updates to try to keep interest to, he wasn't expecting it to be 2000% funded in a day

So, sofar that's 3 unplanned additions?

Satan xpack, Hard Plastic Twins, "Cheating" bonus, and now this. Though I think this only counts as "unplanned" he had probably meant it to be a challenge from the start, just not guaranteed.

>Satan xpack, Hard Plastic Twins
I count these as one addition.

Poots thought the 01 roll and video game challenge would buy him some time.

Never bet on "internet can't beat game in X hours/days" challenges. There are communities of thousands of autists who pour 12+ hours a day, everyday, into beating video games quickly.

>There are communities of thousands of autists who pour 12+ hours a day, everyday, into beating video games quickly.
And now they will have their rapacious futa twins.

Nothing can buy Poots time now.
No brakes on the hype train.

My requirements for Antelope are as follows:

Dash
Surge
Cats Eye Circlet
Catgut Bow
King spear

Anything short of that gets you shreked like these poor guys. Fights also get much more tactical once your Survival goes up, because you get more meaningful decisions.

Our group just fought a L2 Lion God, and boy was that a fucking mistake. We all managed to run away, and we spelunked to get the gear, but that was demoralizing.

>We all managed to run away
I haven't seen any cases of retreating. Can you just decide to turn back at any time? Can a lion hunt YOU down?

>Personally I farm Lions until after the Butcher.
Now this is another concern I have.

Does the game become 'grindey'? Like, you're crap until you've bagged a bunch of lions. But you can't realistically do anything else.

>My requirements for Antelope are as follows
Oh, and how long does a 'skillful' fight usually take? For any of the earlygame monsters, that is.

And does the hunt track/terrain change significantly with more advanced monsters?

Like I would definitely appreciate a more fleshed-out hunting exercise segment, and more diverse encounter terrain. Like all the PnP maps and such. I did hear about a potential hunt revamping.

>Retreating
Have to have an innovation to make run away attempts

>Grinding
Less so with expansions. Antelope becomes 'viable' decently early but Gorm is a fine hunt from LY 1 on if perhaps a wee bit more challenging than lion. The base game has monster tiers, really, but you can blur it a lot with just a couple expansions.

>I haven't seen any cases of retreating.

Pictographs innovation lets you flee, doesn't guarantee you will survive the trip back.

>Does the game become 'grindey'?

Depends on what you are going for and what expansions you have. I go for lions to get cat eye then switch to gorm/spidicules/flower knight. Antelope can be great as it bursts into treats though.

how would you tier monsters? like, using a vanilla settlement lion, antelope, spidey and gorm are all butcher or earlier... Where and when do you fit in level 2 beasts?

The hunt phase is definitely the weakest aspect of the game. You have to get a rather high level (and dead end) innovation (tech) in order to abandon a hunt early or to run away from a bad fight. I never personally prioritize it because a completely unsuccessful hunt is something to be avoided at all costs.

I would say that the only way for the game to become grindy is if you play like pansies and never take a risk on bigger or stronger game.

One thing to note for that other poster is that the Butcher is a relatively early "gear check" called a Nemesis. These fights are much harder than normal monsters and have little in the way of rewards. However, these fights are spectacularly different from other monsters, and some even have alternate win conditions than simply beating them up.

Generally any showdown by an experienced group for a monster that they're somewhat experienced with will take an hour. The hunt track and events are unique to each monster, and some even reside in different biomes (forest instead of plains). Each monster also generally has their own terrain setup (some of which is rather elaborate) plus a few random cards.

So I just pledged for the $250 tier, does the updated core game come with all the content of the original?

>Frogdog expansion let's you abduct and domesticate a puppy for a short time, making use of it before it starts to mature into a monster.
>The longer you use it, the more powerful it becomes, but the more dangerous it becomes to your survivors/settlements
>Pushing your luck gives you a surprise fight mid hunting phase/lose a survivor/lose a settlement

Would that make it anymore appealing? The idea that something is useful and semi kuwaii, but you also know that soon that thing will become horrible and kill you?

LEARN
TO
READ

poots did categorically say there would be no animal husbandry at all in the game, that it didnt fit the theme

you can always go the route of the beast lover fighting art guy and do it custom though

No.

>no animal husbandry of any kind
>can literally roll spidicules home for near infinite silk
>twinpleb confirmed.

Yeah, I guess getting any sort of control on the monsters of the world opens a can of worms of sorts.

>Beast lover it is
>Gotta make it official looking enough to not make friends think I'm into zoophilia...or xenophilia...whatever

Yes.

If I may, I recommend the expansion nemesis. Lion Knight is my favorite fight, and man hunter introduces a lot of useful tools, while the Lonely Tree will add some interesting mechanics to fights occasionally.

I didn't end up getting to use the sSlenderman, my players were complaining about expansion fatigue, but he seems fun.

The good thing about these fights is they don't soak up lantern years - adding them basically gives you more opportunities for hunt xp

Relax, we already know. We're not judging or anything. Just keep it out of the room we usually play. And don't try to volunteer when I'm asking for someone to look after my dog.

I was thinking of making a dog related thing that helped provide "advance warning" in case of disasters, kind of like how they can perceive quakes faster than humans.

I'm hoping to use it as a way to provide expandable rerolls for settlement/hunt events.

Speaking of which... Does anyone else believe this game looks entirely set up for an eroticism expansion?

I mean, look at those minis. Unless it's one of those "game makers are in-denial prudes" kind of thing. Or a "no kid, I'm exploiting your demographic, but you're still under 18" one.

I think the main reason you will never see such a thing is because Poots doesn't want to deal with the flak and blowback it would cause. He already gets enough shit because he sells pinups and models occasionally have penises where they shouldn't; god help him if he actually includes something lewd in the game itself.

Nope, don't see that at all.

I haven't played the game yet, missed the first kickstarter, but would some sort of resource cost to feed the sentry hound make it any sort of worth it? Maybe 1 resource per 2 squares on the hunting table?

Easily homebrewed solution
Frogdog's resource deck contains a "Frogdog pup" resource. At the Frogdog armor crafting location you can create a gear card for "Guard frogdog".

While on the hunt the Guard Frogdog lets you reroll a basic hunt event, however if you roll doubles the Frogdog has gone wild and it attacks. Your quarry is gone and you are now ambushed by a level 1 frogdog.

Early game it's risky because it's could force you into an ambush scenario, late game it's a waste of time, since it's a level one early monster that eats up a Lantern Year.

>the flak and blowback it would cause
But doesn't D&D have the "Book of Erotic Fantasy" from white wolf publishing?

Besides, they're missing out on the whole bathe your minis in semen subculture.

Pfff reading? Eaaasy.
Comprehension? Yeah, we're gonna have a problem.

It'll be fine as soon as we get the proper homebrew.

BoEF isn't canon or official though. Its not like they release the DMG3 with advanced rape rules, sale prices for the semen of different monsters and rules to impregnate females of different races forcefully with said semen.

Or the castle building guide had harem rooms or dungeons made specifically to host "breeders" whom you stuffed with dragon semen in order to try and breed your own dragonborn army or some shit

which is why Poots didn't make the Beast Lover thing.
If HE does it its terrible and probably poor taste and we'll never end the screaming of the whores and SJW.
If YOU do it and publish/post it, its fine

That's different because 3rd party. White Wolf has lasting reputation of supporting the most depraved degeneracy. So does Paizo. But WotC is kiddie friendly, they can include some of the degeneracy when it's progressive, but they can't go all out.

>Besides, they're missing out on the whole bathe your minis in semen subculture
user, they miss out on no such thing.

It could, still thinking about that one. Thing is I'm also considering including some jobs for survivors that stay behind at the settlement so I have to think about that. At the very least I'd have to think about the difficulties involving raising the dogs in the first place and then how they can be used.

That's an interesting idea too but the problem is it would require the frogdog expansion. For the time being and while Poot irons out 1.5 I was thinking the settlement could start with the pups already there or maybe have something like a rogue great game hunter stumble upon the settlement at some point and have them introduce hounds.

Can monster have two conditions for target choice? Or is it just one and "no target" as the alternative?

Oh, I was thinking of it as something interesting to add to the frogdog expansion since that was how it started.

>screaming of the whores and SJW
Who knows? The new presidency might just bring blissful silence to the safespace-trigger-entitlement crowd.
We just got to have a horde of girls with a high sex drive and some fujoshi figures to throw at them. How are they going to deal with that? They won't!

A very good point. It's not that challenging to switch around certain words.

Imagine. The ideal date for a NEET girl, being invited to a miniature hunting game about extracting monster fluids and (not)avoiding brain-rending impregnation.

Yes, for example several white lion cards have
>Closest threat in facing in range
>Closest threat in field of view
>No target

You might want to change the second line to
>No target: Instinct
unless this is going to be part of a single monster's deck that has the sniff instinct.

This would probably work better as a duration card with "When this card is drawn face up Monster Impregnation on the previous target"

Ok, in that case, I suggest: first target stays as is. Second when no lady available, it will still try to hump a man. No aftereffect, obviously, but perhaps some brain damage.

You can have like two endgame options:
Chaste, beat all the monsters, accept only heroic human D, or...
Elite monster breeding community: you start winning fights with lust damage.

Insanity now Lust? Hmm...

A similar mechanic is already ingame with Spidey, Antelope, and the Lion God - you just need to have the survivor removed from the board and gain a status, though these effects are more powerful because they allow the monster to continue fighting mid-rape.

>no aftereffect
what are you, some sort of wussy
its mpreg time and its coming out the only hole available, no questions asked!

remember this game runs on dream logic or rather, nightmare logic.

>No aftereffect, obviously, but perhaps some brain damage.
Please, we cannot let them get off that easily. Monster dick now doubles as ovipositor. Eggs adhere to mucus membranes.

You guys are terrible.
Go on.

Just go fucking kill yourself, no one care

Survivor status: Egg Host

Some monster attacks place tokens on the card.

If X tokens, survivor explores and place Y minor enemies.

Spend an action and a movement to give birth, remove all tokens and roll on chart for results.

Monster attack profiles would prefer female survivors, which actually works well with the games meta since almost all settlements turn into basically harems eventually.

It's impossible to find this anywhere now

>Go on.
Side effect is overproduction of mucus, which is then harvestable as settlement resource.

Removing the eggs is dangerous, but while they persist, the male begins developing overexcitability derangements.

What are you talking about, I have one on my shelf. It's not like I keep a curtan in front of it,

i have two. Both in my closet because im too afraid to fuck it up. A curse that im afraid will never be cured alongside the thousands of dollars worth of KD resin i have never touched asides from verifying no miscasts.

If you don't like the early game content, you aren't going to like the game. You have to replay the early years often, and while it gets better as the game gets on, it doesn't get so much better than someone that doesn't like a LY3 fight at all is going to like it.

>Monster attack profiles would prefer female survivors
But I mean, we definitely must have some tentacle-on-male monsters.

And don't forget the futas, surely their feminine instincts would bring them toward men. Even if their 'equipment' didn't exactly match up.

Either can go for girls, though.

>no death on 1
Laaaaame

Why are you even buying these if you don't want to paint them? I got everything from the first KS and i've spent more time painting minis than playing the game.

Are they particularly fragile?

Under what conditions is the titty monster displayed?

And... w-why are her tits like that?

Oh, those sound neat, thank you very much.

so jelly
It's areola armor essentially

>areola armor
How does that work, and why does it sound so attractive?

It's armor that covers the areola of the nipple but only just cause she's a titty monster

>It's areola armor essentially
But how did her tits get so big, her hips get so curvy, and her brow so high?

Those south-Mediterranean facial features as well... And what magic holds her hair apart so invitingly?

>how does it work?
It doesn't.
>Why does it sound attractive
Hey you gotta leave something to the imagination... even if it's one square inch of darker, wrinklier skin.

>of darker
Paler.
>wrinklier
Suppler.
>skin
Flesh.

Say, wait a moment... Is the Intimacy system designed solely to make sure there will be more female characters?

You and I clearly have had different experiences regarding nipples. Not complaining tho.

Because until I am satisfied with my paintjobs on miniatures that dont have a limited release, ie gw or my historicals, I refuse to fuck up limited items. Hell, I even have two core sets and three x of all the pinups in plastic from the original kickstarter. The former mostly due to wanting something to play with and the latter because I consider it something to practice with (I know, crazy).

I wouldnt game with them. Especially if my players will be touching them and not just myself.

Oh, I never meant to imply it wouldn't. It would just run in order.

Nearest knocked down female survivor.
Nearest female survivor.
Nearest knocked down survivor.
>>>
2Speed 4Accuracy 1Damage base.

After Damage Effect - Survivor gains the Egg Host status card. If the survivor is already an Egg Host, place one Egg Token on it.

Any survivors with Egg Host status cards at end of fight roll on a chart of Bad stuff.

Monster has an Intimidate AI card that causes instant hatching, and many hit locations that interfere with survivors who are hosts, or will make survivors hosts.

Estimated at Antelope/Spidey tier.

kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-monster-15/comments?cursor=15296269#comment-15296268
>Just a friendly warning. I have been doing some math and it is kinda adding up that I might have to remove the rest of the available Satan levels. Otherwise I might sink my battleship by the end of the campaign. Or as we chatted about before... my stack of battle ships. Which are much more difficult to hit, but once they are its no good.

You've been warned. Grab 'em now if you want 'em, lads.

Sell me your second generic knight and I'll send nudes of my ex camgirl fiance

Wouldn't be surprised, it's certainly biased all of my settlements to produce more women than men, especially with Survival of the Fittest.

>nudes of a camgirl
literally worthless