Is there such a thing like a single player rpg?

is there such a thing like a single player rpg?

Other urls found in this thread:

fightingfantasy.wikia.com/
mediafire.com/folder/1ecybp6dp8rix/SoloTG
pastebin.com/F8teW7rr
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think it's called "day-dreaming"

You could roll dice while you do it though, if that helps

yes they are over at /v/

Choose Your Own Adventure books, maybe.

If you used modules, some of the older D&D editions could be played alone.
Just be sure to prepare a mind-bondage spell in case your dad tries to stop you

fightingfantasy.wikia.com/

Yes. There are gamebooks, solo modules (like the D&D solo series), one player wargames and RPGs, and GM emulators, which are things meant to stand in for your GM and throw you the occasional curveball to disrupt your "daydream."

Have a handy link : mediafire.com/folder/1ecybp6dp8rix/SoloTG

Oh, forgot the handy pastebin some user assembled:

pastebin.com/F8teW7rr

Yeah, but if you are that desperate for a single player RPG, you should try videogames.

See, I don't understand this line of reasoning. Single player video games don't invalidate single player RPGs any more than multiplayer video games mean nobody should bother with multiplayer RPGs.
Video games and RPGs are very different things - one is just consuming premade stuff, while the other is a creative medium (except gamebooks, I suppose).

I guess if you don't care for the creative part, and are only into RPGs for the 'hanging out with friends" part, then it makes sense. But I'd rather play a tabletop RPG with my friends than World of Warcraft with those same friends, and I'd rather play 2 Hour Wargames' Swordplay than Skyrim. Because I just like tabletop.

Sure, it can be a nice writing exercise. Explicitly so, in games like Quill.

Check the archive for solo gamer threads, there's been a few recently.

Many games nowadays allow you to customize your experience and settings. Sure, nowhere near as free and simple as tabletop gaming, but it's easier for a casual player to get into it.

Neverwinter nights, Fallout New Vegas, Shadowrun series, all of them with several mods and options for customization.

It's much more practical for single player experiences and, in my opinion, more interesting from the point of view that video games can throw some variations and surprises that aren't easily reproduced in tabletop.

For example, the Betrayal at the hill tabletop game has 100 end scenarios, but a game can have much more and with much less spoilers, since you won't be able to see all the possible pieces, the stacks of scenarios, etc.

That's just sad

>he says, posting on Veeky Forums

I love getting to post this.

I looked at some of those back in grade school and they all went the same way.

Option you dont like -> Something horrible happens to you.
Option you dont like -> Something even worse happens to you.
Option you dont like -> you die
Option you sort of like -> you die

Tunnels and Trolls.

I request source on those tiny minis

I thought it was just me..

Whats a good FF book for begginers?

bump

Real life. It's shit though, the rules are unclear and leveling up is fucking impossible.

Saved.

Isn't that from Stranger Things?

There is, but not really an RPG. Just single-freeform RP. Which is basically daydreaming. If you have a long continuity to it like I do though, it might count.

Doesn't Mage Knight have single-player mode?
Space Hulk: Death Angel from FFG have one.

Yes.

>Yeah, but if you are that desperate for a single player RPG, you should try videogames.

No game has the level of detail that rpgs allow, the most basic rpg allow even more details that dwarf fortress have

>rpg alone
Dat crippling depression.

ive been doing that in my dad's basement for years

It's really sad that there's so many posts in this thread without a drop of knowledge that single player RPGs have been a real thing for years. Usually they consist of lots of random charts of "oracle tables" where you ask a question and roll to generate an answer.

Mythic and Scarlet Heroes are two I can think of off the top of my head, but I know there are several others that have similar features.

Seriously, what the fuck Veeky Forums, you all used to be more knowledgeable than this.

writeing a book

The Fighting Fantasy books are great. I grabbed this bad boy from a charity bookstore a few years back.

They can be monstrously unfair though. You didn't do that one thing down that one path all that time ago? Tough shit pal, welcome to instadeath.

I enjoy exercising my critical thinking skills, but at a leisurely pace. Most of the offerings in the pastebin don't really offer that, mainly dealing in raw luck and gently testing situational awareness at the most.

If there were a video game that did it well, I would just buy that. The closest things out there are Sokoban clones, Sudoku and other arithmetic sums, logic puzzles, and RTS, and they are so abstract that I can't get into them. TBS games like the Panzer General series could be challenging. But they were predesigned puzzles with one best solution in mind, and once you found it you were done with that board and had to get (buy) another one.

I've been wanting to build solo adventures that will test critical thinking skills without a predesigned puzzle in mind. I'm still not there yet, though.

>You didn't do that one thing down that one path all that time ago? Tough shit pal, welcome to instadeath.

In their defense, that was standard game design in the 80s, as seen in CYOA books, tabletop RPGs, computer RPGs, Sierra's text adventures, and probably more.

Noice, Saved

>i'm making my own text adventure vidya
>there are a lot of "if you didn't do this 3 hours ago ur fucked" situations

I think that I'm a dick

True. I meant that more as a warning to any potential players rather than a criticism of the books themselves. They're still very fun and worth a play.

They're all very rules light so you can start with any of them. The best part is that they're all very cheap. Most are less than a dollar.

I paid 75 cents to get a copy of Sky Lord on Amazon. Should be here by the weekend

fpbp

Your adventure will rate pretty high on the Zarfian Cruelty scale, huh?

Kinda, it'd fall under "nasty" since there are various things that you can only understand after a failed playthrough (game is short tho), and they're mostly required to obtain the secret good ending where you can solve most conflicts through diplomacy rather than fighting.

Nevertheless, the game autosaves after any decision you make.

You could probably play Kingdom Death as a single player RPG if you wanted to fork out the funds.

It's more fun with a group I think though.

Yes, stuff like lone wolf, The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, and other books like that.

Hikikomori
The Beast (Aleksandra Sontowska and Kamil Węgrzynowicz)
Mythic (I think)