/wip/ - Painting/Sculpting/Converting General

One big, happy, painting family edition.

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Painting music
youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE

Previous Threads

I think it came out okay.

I'm digging the themo optic camouflage effect but I think you'll want to go with a much thinner effect. I thought it was fire at first.

Now I need to figure out what the fudge I'm going to do for her base.

Yeah, I ended up using way too thick of a brush and of paint. Once I have more stealth suits to work with I'll be able to make it a little more subtle.

Pretty sweet. The overall non-stealth scheme looks good, too.

Just got home from work and my Secret Santa gift was waiting for me!

A very nice hand written note from Virginia user.

omg Im excited.
what is it??

And the gift itself! I am so blown away by all this stuff! Theres a set of awesome blue and white dice, two d20s and a d6, six Super Dungeon Explorer minis, two really cool looking vintage minis, two DnD minis, some snow trees and the Big Man himself! Wow this is such a great gift, really perfect as I don't play 40k and Reaper minis are my favorite. I cant wait to paint some of the Super Dungeon minis, they look great.

$7.85 worth of rape. (Seriously though, I'm excited to see what it is too!)

Heres a close up of the Big Man, this is pretty good for only a couple weeks of painting, far better then when I was new to the hobby. I was just thinking recently that I wanted a mini ornament for my tree, so I think thats what I'll do with this guy. He will forever keep my Christmas tree free from evil!

Virginia-user really, thank you so much. Nail on the head, great gift, I really appreciate this. Happy Holidays to you!

One more, just for fun. Seriously, thanks again.

That's awesome!

progress

calling these lil shitlords finished. mostly a test for the basing anyway.

Glad you enjoy it, user!
The 2 random minis are santa's elves

How do I seal something so I don't lose the purposeful metalic sheen of my mini without making everything look glossy?

I have a metalic red SM army that I'm working and I'm bit at a loss on how to seal the damn things

Satin varnish is probably the way you want to go.

you could use gloss varnish and just apply matte varnish by hand on those areas that are not supposed to be glossy. Or the other way around.

very unique

What body is this?

Need some wisdom for getting a good saw for models Veeky Forums

Im going to be chopping up a couple expensive models soon and I plan to get a hobby saw as i dont want to use a hobby knife.

Ive heard the GW saws are a ripoff and you can get the same much cheaper at a hardware store, so what would i be looking for?

sisters of silence, probably a superior

Jewler's saw works well as does a basic hack saw

Octo Camo, huh?
You're pretty good.

Genestealers came and took errr jawbs!

to the guys following my entry to the painting comp- it didnt win. i'm not too fussed though because it was an average paintjob of a pretty shitty model, i think if i'd entered
i would have done better.
heres the winner, anyway.

Unluck user.
Whilst I wasn't a fan of gigantism super robot power armor roman guy, you did something original and interesting.

Entering Knights and Wraith Knights was a dick move and your mini was better by virtue.

"Bigatures" should always be either not allowed or have their own category in competitions.
Dreadnought sized models should be the limit. anything bigger is a larger canvas, a wider goal to shoot into in my opinion.

i think this one was the winner, it was kind of unclear which knight it was.

this was the winner of the under 18's category

D&G user if you're reading this mail me at trypticon at gmail to fix the spru issue! (sorry)

Hey guys I'm looking to start a smaller force of lamenters and was wondering if anyone had a good method for painting their yellow?

by mixing yellow pigment with the blood of their fallen brothers.

Rhode Island, if you're reading this I sent your shit

maan, seeing all the nice notes people are sending makes me regret shitposting on my note.

Yeah man, cunt doesn't have to be your default setting. That's a real /v/, /pol/ and /b/ mentality.

Be critical where it's required but don't try and be a twat for the sake of it, unless it's going to legitimately make people laugh.

On the other hand, if you're receiving a present from Veeky Forums, expect there to be a good chance it will come with shitposting.

Its not like I sent a piece of rope with instructions to hang themselves with it - I just apologized for taking out a part of the gift, and insinuated that it wouldn't matter because they wont play the game anyway.

right...

Got all the Otherworld Miniatures were-creatures for cheap on eBay, so I've been painting them up. The were tiger will be a challenge though, I've tried and failed before at painting tiger stripes. Got any tips on that?

Not sure why a wereboar would use a halberd, though.

Also bonus hyenodon from Ral Partha. I enjoy painting extinct animals, because I get to make up my own patterns, but still have to keep it plausible.
Also I really need to finish that Groucho Marx someday.

I'm currently building an IG veteran squad, outfitting them with shotguns from the SM Scouts sprews.

I'm kinda happy of how it's turning out!

Hey /wipg/, I got myself a Chaos Mammoth as a christmas treat which I want to paint over the holidays. However, I don't have much experience in painting fur (which is ~80% of this model).

I wanted to do the following:
prime
basecoat
wash
several drybrushing steps
and some highlighting

Any advice/cool tutorials? I have an airbrush, but just got it recently as well so am not that good at working with it yet.

They look ridiculously oversized, but honestly that just makes it feel more 40K. It's cool.

Just finished the one on the left, which uses my current color scheme. The one on the right was the last one I did for what I am considering switching.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, I feared it might look too over the top, but I think this is just right.

I kinda want to find a way to have shotgun shells on the bases but I'm not exacty sure how I would make that tho.

Fur is pretty easy. I do a basecoat of black, and then another with a dark color. Rinox Hide for reddish fur, Dryad Bark for a more drab colour. Then I drybrush a lighter brown, and then another drybrush layer of the previous colour with a little white in it on elevated areas. The key is to not have too much paint left of the brush. If more contrast is needed, I use some wash in the cracks and crevices.

Try cutting a plasticard rod or thick rubber wire into cylinders, that might work.

That's a lot of red, it gets kinda monotonous. If I were you, I'd paint the hair white instead.

i reckon do three or four shells per model and stuck them on their sleeves or belts as well, like how people carry extra shotgun shells

Also painted this Pulp adventurer. I've never painted cleavage before, it's surprisingly hard.

yeah I was thinking about that too, I'll have to try the rubber wires as mentioned.
I'll probably use a bit of green stuff over it to make it look like that too.

In theory that should work, but that may be a bit minute.

Back view. The pants aren't quite done.

It's funny that you suggest that because my old scheme actually has white hair. I went with brown on both to try and stay away from the clichéd white.

I guess it's unavoidable.

Alternatively you could make them blonde, or just make the hair more vivid. It's kinda hard to tell from your photo since everything looks red in it.

Could be the light. Maybe. However, everything could be red. I'm actually R/G colorblind, so there could be a red shade that I am not seeing.

I'm doing my best.

Yeah, but even the white parts look pink.
I think brown hair could work, it you just highlight it more. It needs contrast to pop. That's a very nice colour scheme, though.

Thanks.

Which one are we talking about?

Here they are in some different light. I honestly don't see the red hue, but again I might not be ABLE to see it. Still, I'll go over the white again. It's always been a pain.

Alright lads, quick question, is it enough to put female victoria mini heads on cadian bodies for some guard variation or are the limbs and specifically the hands/shoulders going to stick out and be weird looking?

Wow, those purple minis look cute as hell. Please paint and post them in here.

For anyone with the Exalted Sorcerers kit: how hard do you think it would be to remove the bird feet from the floating one and rescued normal boots?

Nice. I always loved the familiar set.

I got some of the victoria mini heads and a bunch of cadians I'm building. If you can wait til tonight I can show you how it looks. I must say that I haven't tried it yet. Supposedly it looks fine.

yeah man that'd be mint.

Honestly, i don't think having the actual hair as part of the color scheme is a good idea for humans. It looks super strange if they all have the same hair color.

How picky should I be about asking forgeworld if they can send me some replacement parts? I've just made my first order from them and have recieved two tech pritest and a warhound titan from them and a few of the pieces of the latter are missing details or have some damage.
>plasma blastgun has only one rivet formed properly and has a reasonably large hole in the arm socket all the way through
>the upper legs are missing quite a few rivets and the detail is not formed on the four cogs on each side of them
>the reactor control room is a mess, half the keypad isnt formed properly and most of the other details look like theyve been slightly melted

I showed it to my friend and he said it looks like the mold they used is wearing out. Is this typical for forgeworld, should I ask if they can send me new bits?

Always ask if it's legit FW. Send proper photos and they'll handle it. No point in spending 100s of $ for shit quality.

hell, i ordered a krieg platoon and when i got 3x infantry squads and 2x officer squads instead of 4x and 1, i emailed them asking if i should send one back to swap. they apologised, sent me out an infantry squad and a veteran upgrade pack with no postage fee

How much is that titan again?
If there is something missing or is damaged, complain right away. You paid good money for that stuff so it should be in good condition.

Just send them a couple of pics with stuff you think isn't ok and they will replace them.

It came to £394 with the two priests. I really like the model apart from the missing bits.
Ok, thank you.

On a related note, does anyone have a parts list for what should be included? The instructions I recieved with it are terrible, it's 3 pieces of doublesided, low quality photos of what you need to build after assembly, and there's no inventory to it other than for the toes. I'm not sure if I'm missing anything, I've checked but I have no reference to base it on.

Forgeworld has always been stellar when it comes to customer service. Include photos if you can, and they'll sort it out ASAP.
Especially with Titans you do not need to make compromises.

just refer the item to the item on the invoice they send you.

Does the exhaust look okay? I've never had to do anything like it before.

The part billowing out at the base like a cloud of smoke should probably be painted more like a cloud of smoke, with the black sooty smokiness then also creeping up the shaft a bit.

Solid Shas'vre

Hey guys, how noxious are Auclad air paints? I found a wonderful tutorial on YouTube for my Thousand Sons force, but I'm worried about the paints themselves.

I was originally going to use Vallejo air gold paints, and a clear tamiya red finish. But I love the sheen of these paints so much more. My main problem is that I am painting in a very large closet. I don't have any windows, and the only real ventilation or protection I would have would be a respirator.

Like this user? I understand what you are saying but i'm not sure how to go about painting that.

I'm making my Tau army as a "Renegade Tau" faction. They know what the Ethereals are up to, so they've broken away from the Empire, but still believe in a "Greater Good" that they want to see realised. The general idea is that they can be sometimes be spotted on the outskirts of battles or found behind enemy lines conducting sabotage and assassination missions etc
Because they all came from the Empire, they have standard equipment that they have tweaked, maintained and modified themselves. So how can I represent this in a paint scheme? I was thinking of painting them like normal Tau, then weathering them quite heavily, pitting armour and scarring weapons, then putting a slash of red through the Caste symbols on their armour. Does anyone think it would look good?

More like that, yes. You can probably just go all black instead of the gradient to grey. As for how, I'd start looking around online for others who have made this stuff look good, and then try to do whatever they did.

Hey /wip/ I was wondering if anyone knows what GW colors I should get to match the Sevara from Dawn of war, I've been trying to come to grips for a good necron color scheme and i love this green look

I would go for something like this personally.

So farsight enclaves?

You want a Jewelers saw for sure.

Kinda, yeah. But they are just a small independent militant faction. I could fluff it up a bit and make it so they grab the attention of the Farsight Enclaves. But I prefer the idea of a small, self sustaining quasi-guerrilla force.

You and I are working across very similar lines. I just didn't put sept markings on my dudes, though some of that is unwillingness to mess it up. Consider doing something like a drybrushed or painted on scratch effect on your markings instead of just a red slash, I think it'd look better.

It's not GW, but prime with this and wash it down with your preferred black wash.

Do you have an example by any chance? The red slash, in my eyes, is a bit more symbolic.

Hello?
No i'm at the battlefield right now...
You want me to pick up what?
Okay darling i'll pick it up after I kill off these Gue'la.

Into the folder that one goes.

That is actually pretty funny! Because, as you say, its a part of the bitter truth of most Veeky Forums´s mathhammer experts. The guys who knows it all, but never actually play the game, to busy complaining on the expensive hobby they are in (when not really buying stuff for the past 6 years).

I have a friend who owns a 3D printer, and I am planning to get me the big new army deal of Orruks from GW. The problem is, I hate the giant, he is simply to generic and has no character at all. And to ad to this, he don't fit the theme of Ironjawz one bit!

Now to my question, do you think it would be possible to make an armor out of 3D printing, and how would you design it?
I have in mind a huge classic 40k Ork skull, hanging from straps. Perhaps make one hand chopped of and replaced with a combat claw, permanently attached. And some form of shoulder pad and jaw-protection (typical Ironjawz style).
I have searched the internet, and came out squat, people don't generally convert their giant with armor I guess.

So heres the challenge Veeky Forums, how would you go about it? Remember, nothing is impossible as far as bits go.

Do we seriously have *two* anons ( says "Tim", and that is not the name I sent to, nor is a picture of the package I sent) here in /WIP/ that are from North Chesterfield, VA? I wonder if those ladz know each other...

>make an armor out of 3D printing
That mostly depends on the printing technique. With something like SLA it can look cool, FDM will look like shit tho.

If I were you I'd look into plasticard. It's really easy to make cool looking metal plates with it. You can bend it while applying heat to get some curves on your armor platings too.

If the other user frequents Battlegrounds, there could have been a chance encounter.

Some more warzone for the pile, got a Praetorian Goliath and his little imp buddy to lead my horde of extra-dimensional horrors to battle. Along with a Praetorian Behemoth for his building throwing action!(batteries not included).

Also in pieces are more Praetorian Stalkers, one squad of ranged and one squad of close combat armed mu'fuggas. Once they're put together I'll be able to run a purely praetorian army, I don't imagine it'll succeed very well, but the novelty will be enough for me

You'll get it done easier, cheaper and better if you just get some putty, plasticard, and get busy doing it by hand.

Audibly lol'd

TN user, just stuck the shipping label on your package! Should hit your place in a couple of days.