Humanity Fuck Yeah Thread?

>Through the element of surprise, superior numbers, and their advanced technology, the Chigs gain the advantage in early battles. Humanity's adaptability and ferocity catches them off guard. The Chigs, who favor large direct military strategies, are unprepared for the guerrilla tactics used by the human forces. Special operations missions, infiltrations, assassinations, sabotage, and small unit engagements all prove effective against the Chig attackers.

>One curious practice observed since early in the war with humanity was that whenever Chig infantry encountered the grave of a dead human soldier, they would dig up the body and mutilate the corpse, typically by completely dismembering it. At first, the human military thought this was a terror-tactic, meant to frighten human soldiers with the Chigs' brutality. As the war progressed, it was eventually discovered that while the Chigs may possess some form of "religion" (given that they consider their breeding grounds to be sacred), they never developed a concept of an afterlife. As it turns out, humans are just as much mysterious, terrifying aliens to the Chigs as they are to humans. As the Chigs encountered snippets of human culture, through intercepted radio transmissions or recovered personal effects from dead soldiers, etc., they drastically misinterpreted this alien concept of an "afterlife". This led the Chigs to believe that dead human soldiers will literally spring back to life sometime after their death, and that burying a corpse aids this process. Genuinely terrified of this human "army of zombies", Chig infantry then began to dig up the graves of human soldiers they came across and completely dismember their corpses, to make sure they stay dead.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ykEIbgbRAJQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dicks

Imagine you're an Elven Archwizard. You've dedicated the last couple centuries to studying the cosmos, and you're about to challenge the notion that the world is flat. You prepare everything for a cosmic scrying, in order to challenge the gods and their scripture using a few simple tests. However, 3 days before the stars you need to triangulate the earth's position in the cosmos you decide to spill everything to the kingdom's Artificer, 60 years young and about as crazy as a human gets, but he's the only one who you can talk shop with so you still go drinking together.
He listens to every word you say, and you think he'll be excited to hear the results once you finish your experiment. Otherwise you think nothing of it.
The very next day the earth shakes with a monstrous roar. You look out the window to see the Ancient Red Dragon that's lain dormant for centuries because no one was stupid enough to wake him up. No sooner do you think that though when the dragon soars up to the highest point in the sky and then simply... exploded.

You're left staring up at the sky as dragon chunks rain down in a fine pink mist wondering what the fuck that was about.

A day later, as you're waiting for the results of the the scrying you hear a knock on your door. It's your Artificer friend, wearing a hideous conglomerate of Metal, Leather, arcane runes and... is that a bottle of infinite air? The whole thing is singed and melted.

He quickly explains to you the ratios of various alchemical compounds that might increase the the volatility of Dragon Fire 100 fold, exactly where one might apply Sovereign Glue to cause a dragon to implode, and how to create a Cone of Force that directs such a blast upwards.

He holds out his hand, in it is a cracked, but still functional crystal ball.

The scrying mirror dings. You don't bother to look at the results.

Decades of your careful research couldn't hope to match the clarity of this recording of the earth as seen from space itself.

You look at your colleague, standing there with that shit-eating grin on his face. You have no words.

Forgot about this one, used to love this show.

Showing us your favorite hobby?

Quality varied wildly DESU. Some of the episodes are stellar, while others were clearly following the Star Trek model of padding the season with ultra low budget episodes, interiors of "space ships" that were clearly just boiler rooms or factories, so it sometimes has an uncomfortable space mutiny vibe.

one of the problems I have with HFY is that the quality of writing is not terribly consistent.

like, I LOVE reading stories like that, but I hate reading stories like that which are badly written...

Marines are not allowed to die without permission. The Chigs were justly cautious.

>can't tell if joking or actual muhreen

>actually reads the snippet you posted this time
that reminds me of a piece of a novel by John Ringo...the attacking aliens use simple mass forces tactics and all but the bravest warriors are hacked up for food before their bodies are even cold, and only the greatest greats get an actual burial and marker beyond a small carved stick left with the corpse.

they land on earth and assault their way through the US eastern seaboard and despite their superior tech are stymied a few hours by the honor guard and those that stood with it to defend Arlington National Cemetery.

they bestowed honors upon the fierce defenders, then one of their marginal war-leaders (maybe a couple of hundred fighters under his command) dug up one of the stones in curiosity...and then another and then a third, and realized that in this plot of land laid the spirits of thousands of warriors, he shat himself and went to hide from humanity...

Here's a nice one

why not assume both?

it's the sort of myth that might well frighten an alien...

Except it's not even a myth. It's just artillery bait autofellating themselves because their recruiters told the slack-jawed jokel he's going to be part of the USA's best.

>Except it's not even a myth.
an old saw then...
like "a marine never really retires, they just eventually die"

>>Through the element of surprise, superior numbers, and their advanced technology, the Chigs wiped out the entire human race in less than 24 hours and started its mining operations. End of the story.

How could anyone seriously think that humanity, which is far from being united, could beat a much more advanced spacefaring race? It would be like cavemen fighting mechanized infantry, battle tanks, helicopter gunships and bombers.

>How could anyone seriously think that humanity, which is far from being united, could beat a much more advanced spacefaring race? It would be like cavemen fighting mechanized infantry, battle tanks, helicopter gunships and bombers.
You mean like the rum little scrap going on in the Middle East for the past decade and a half?

>You mean like the rum little scrap going on in the Middle East for the past decade and a half?

>implying US of A wants these scraps to stop when they can sell their weapons to various chickenshit governments, then arm said chickenshit governments' enemies so they depose them and become new chickenshit government

War is an industry, user. And a profitable one.

There's a technological gap of 20 to 30 years between US forces in the Middle East and the local insurgents. With a spacefaring race, there would most likely be a technological gap of centuries. Even if were speaking of a gap of "only" 300 years that would be the equivalent of having the modern US navy with AEGIS cruisers, spy satellites, UAV's, nuclear submarines, aircraft carriers and multirole fighter jets fighting against 18th century frigates and ships of the line.

I prefer the "HFY" stories that aren't based entirely on Humanity's supposed martial might. The ones that focus on sharing elements of our various Earthly cultures, or on our potential for cooperation and compassion feel much less jingoistic and one-dimensional to me.

Well, SAAB is little bit of a different case, considering The Chigs actually originate on earth

Just going off the show, the "superior" technology of the Chigs is only a slight advantage, unlike the humans, they have FTL, but its unreliable, to the extent that the Chigs usually resort to using wormholes like the Humans. Their infantry weapons are not hugely superior, and their space fighters are only better in the sense that an A6M Zero was generally a better fighter compared to the F4F Wildcat, but far from invincible.

This is only very slightly related, but I'm just rewatching "Generation Kill" and goddammit does my little Veeky Forums-heart want there to be a
> Generation Kill set in the Starship Troopers universe.
> Generation Kill which follows a legion on Roman soldiers in the gallic wars.

>cooperation
>compassion
fuck off

Damn that's nice. I like that.

On some level I want to defend the marines that I looked up to as a child, buy then I remembered this guy i kbow named scott. Scott is a marine, and a more worthless waste of flesh you could not find.

>You mean like the rum little scrap going on in the Middle East for the past decade and a half?
No, because for one thing the US government can't afford to wipe them all out and for another they profit from the chaos they sow. They have no interest in officially conquering the place.
For a third, the black market offers 3rd word nations easy access to semi-modern arms.

Difference being that the US isn't just straight up genociding them. If we were cool with just glassing the middle east it would have long been over.

>No, because for one thing the US government can't afford to wipe them all out

Not politically, but they definately have the means materially, it's just that the UN doesn't jive with that.

I'd cheerfully watch the adventures of Ray and Sergeant Colbert vs damn near anything.

>Generation Kill following stormtroopers
All would be amazing to have,

>it's just that the UN doesn't jive with that.
The UN isn't the only problem.
If the US government decided to wipe out an entire race, the US population would rise up. Don't believe Americans are monsters just because they voted for Trump.

Let the cuck have faith in whatever gay faggot version he has interpretation of.

I mean, its objectively wrong, but he didn't do anything wrong by sharing it.

"What in the seven hells of Chaos are you waiting for? Personal orders from the Emperor himself? When I say take that damned hill, I mean take that damned hill, not damn well stand around and stare at it! I don’t care if there’s fifty L’Huraxi up there. I don’t care if there are fifty thousand L’Huraxi up there! Our orders are to take that hill and I’m going to damn well take that hill even if it means I have to kill every last one of the purple-skinned giants myself. Damn it, follow me, I’ll show you how it’s done. That’s it, get stuck in there. Medic! Stop whining, Brook, you’ve got another damned leg. D’ya think I cried like a damned new-born when I lost my arm? Course I damn well didn’t. I upped and ripped that damned land shark’s damned throat out with my damned teeth! That’s it, Sergeant Reed, give ‘em some Catachan steel. Emperor’s teeth, their blood stinks. Get that heavy flamer into that trench; flush the damned Grox-heads out. That trench, you idiot, not this one! Oh yes, smell those aliens burn. Smells better than breakfast, don’t it? Give me that damn grenade. Do I have to do everything myself? See? That ain’t proper armour like you’d see on an Imperial tank – no it’s flimsy, fall-down-in-a-strong-breeze, I-hope-they-don’t-spit-at-me armour. I didn’t really mean spit at it! You there! Yes you! Pick up Sergeant Creek’s hand. The medics might be able to stick it on him again later. Don’t stop now, you damned work-shy sons of acid-grubs, we’re only damn well halfway up..."

-Colonel Stracken

I do not fear the spears of the gauls.
Not because I'm a particularly courageous man... Centurions... In my deepest, darkest moments I have another fear. One that keeps me awake at night.
I fear that something I may do might disappoint Senator Julius.
Today, centurions, I harbour no such fear.

>Jupiterfather

I'm totally with you. We need more of those.

How about this one, bud?

Not him, but this shit is good.

Got any more?

Take this faggy shit back to r/HFY and stop dragging its mangled corpse back here.

For quads, have Drake McDougal Pt. 2. I'll post more after I sleep a while

Holy fuck I'm a fool

Posting some favourites

I got annoyed at the whole
"Top gun fighter pilots, lets throw them into massed infantry battles and see how many die"

Centurion I didn't get to loot.
That is truly a shame, Legionary Trombley. Did your Military Tribune tell you you would get to loot?
Damn right he did.
Legionary Tromley asked about looting barbarians, me I asked about pussy. Tribune told me if I joined I would get to go to Egypt and get all kinds of strange.
What did you ask about Centurion?
Centurion probably saw the graffiti outside the Baths of Diocletian, you know of the Legionary who fucks up Wodan and turns into Mars?
Woohoo Epitoma Rei Militaris.
Haha, fucking De Re Militaris, that shit got so many guys.

Should've ridden into battle with a flint-axe, Centurion. That would've fucking ruled.

And last one

You think humans aren't a cooperative species?

At first I was
>MarinesDevil.jpg
But then
youtube.com/watch?v=ykEIbgbRAJQ

Please tell me there is more generation 40K to be found, and nice digits.

Nah It was a fuck around we did in /k/ a while back. Maybe it would have lasted a bit longer on Veeky Forums but nothing really lasts on /k/ except our terriable tripfaggotry.

Any of you are welcome to write more.

What exactly is the psychological impetus for humanity fuck yeah?

I didn't really care about these threads until I started learning japanese, because then I became aware that the japanese have a MASSIVE inferiority complex regarding world war II and military might in general.

But despite the fact that they feel this way one of the most common forms of videos that the japanese post on youtube (and I mean there are hundreds, maybe even thousands) are these simple image background videos with scrolling text on the screen. The text itself is invariably about how awesome Japan is. There are videos about how Japan shocks the world's nations to their core by doing something unexpected, videos about Japanese people proving their superiority over rowdy foreigners in a stoic badass manner, there are A LOT of videos about JSDF soldiers getting fellated by american forces because of their righteousness and how much more awesome they are than american soldiers. Also a lot of videos about WWII soldiers that died gloriously defending nippon and were recognized for their bravery even by the enemy forces.

Now, the thing I want to draw attention to here is the fact that in nearly all these videos the cathartic endgame is recognition by an outside actor. It's almost never about japanese people being cool to japanese people, it's always about the foreign president, the foreign soldier, the foreign doctor, etc, being amazed and shocked to his core by japanese superiority in everything other than dick size and rudeness.

Is humanity fuck yeah similar in that it seeks recognition from a hypothetical outside actor which we commonly recognize as being superior? What causes people to feel good about these things? Do you think there are differences between HFY and Japan Fuck Yeah?

It's a reaction to Humanity fighting aliens against all odds in all our fiction. Sometimes it's fun to run shit

it might have something to do with being distinctive.

in a theoretically infinite universe everything has already been done.

HFY to me consists of making something relatively mundane to humans like
>food
>or selflessness
>sex drive
>stolid determination
>need for there to be monsters
>adrenaline
>breathing corrosives
>etc. etc. etc.
and makes it something more than simply mundane, more than just "that thing some people do" into something wondrous or confusing or new to someone or in this case, something, that has no idea how simple it is for US.

its not inferiority as I chose to read it, it's the jarring contrast of aliens reacting to our quirks, or at least our perceived quirks.

>Whats this about you losing your head gear Corporal?
>It bounced off my head in the bayonet charge Commissar.
>It bounced off your head?
>it fell off my head after we crested the hill and began the downhill sprint into the cultist lines
>THAT HEADGEAR WASN'T YERS TA LOSE THAT HELMET IS PROPERTY OF THE EMPEROR HISSELF!! Belong to all his subjects. BECUASE OF YER FAILURE TO SECURE THAT HEMET YOU JEOPARDIZE EVERY GUARDSMAN SERVING ON THE SUB_SECTER
>I CONSIDERED BLAMMIN' YER ASS
>Sargent Colbertius this is why we enforce the liturgical standard. You mispronounce the liturgies, than other standards fall

The origins of HFY are as reaction to a (perceived) pattern in some SF and fantasy where some other race was represented as vastly superior to humanity in some capacity.
I couldn't tell you why it's remained popular since then.

>percieved
Come now. The standard trope in almost all mainstream scifi is

>be us, humans
>naive little things unaware of the big universe
>choosing between Pampers or Huggies when aliens attack
>get pummeled but after a big speech we're going all in
>some genius, either obligatory mary sue minority or crazy white guy, says something like "some construction methods are universal" and tells you where to shoot
>daring raid but you manage to launch that one missile that hits just the spot doc ordered
>aliens leave because theres some hidden meaning behind losing one ship in an intergalactic war
>cue confetti

Sometimes its nice when we are the unknown scary bad asses.

1.) there is truth in "universal construction methods" force-stresses and the resultant strain in materials DICTATES certain design choices. that said that just applies to every materal the human race has ever encountered, synthesized, hypothesized, etc.
2.) I much prefer stories where humanity is significantly advanced form the time I'm reading in, or where another race has given us better tools to fight with
3.) depending on your literary sources the aliens might just be budgeted to one planetary annihilator sized ship per hundred years. the next invasion wave might take long enough to give us time to prep or we might be declared a write off on this invasion cycle...

silly chigs, do they want revenants? this is how you get revenants

>there is truth in "universal construction methods

>dozens of alien ships just warped in and appeared in LEO
>proceed to make assumptions about their weakspots
>save the day
>not stale at all

> I much prefer stories where humanity is significantly advanced
Sure, me too. Thats why I read this kind of scifi.

>the aliens might just be budgeted to one planetary annihilator sized ship
thats my point. if they just want to wreck the planet, just hurl some asteroids into it. you travelled for 524 000 light years to get here but you cant be arsed to do the job once you're here? if they plan on conquering it, why not bring more than like, five squads of aliens? You'd think that these intergalactic bloodthirsty aliens would know one or two things about warfare, but seemingly not Much more interesting to see a movie where humanity makes its last stand and gets clobbered back into primordial ooze.

>just hurl some asteroids into it
eh, dealing with the fallout might be more expensive than a ground-war...MAYBE.
>if they just want to wreck the planet,
or maybe they don't want a wrecked planet?
but thats just picking nits

>dozens of alien ships just warped in and appeared in LEO
>proceed to make assumptions about their weakspots
>save the day
>not stale at all
didn't say it was stale, just said it was true.
and based on assumptions like stress-strain, moment of inertia, thermodynamics, etc. you should be able to look at a SHAPE and it's behavior/movements and estimate weakened locations(or at least proportions of thickness and point stress)...thats why they pay engineers to run something called a Finite Element Analysis. you CAN almost always look a thing and estimate where the weak-spots are in every material known to man assuming you know how geometry and force works
it may be stale, but that is because truth is usually less interesting than fiction

>Thats why I read this kind of scifi.
you might try "a Hymn Before Action" by John Ringo it's pretty good, core series is 4 books long. humans aren't really advanced in it, aliens running from an invasion fleet give us a lot of tech. the way we figure out how to use the tech is amusing to me...

this is offensive and evil, american aboriginals did the same thing for similar reasons! racist

>eh, dealing with the fallout might be more expensive than a ground-war
then it should be common sense to bring a fleet which could sustain lengthy ground-operations. only example i can think of is that falling skies series, the one with all the bugs and shit. and if they're here to stripmine our planet, i doubt they care about the fallout

>it may be stale, but that is because truth is usually less interesting than fiction
i'm not saying that our knowledge in structural engineering is useless, just that a) we dont have a clue what that shit is made of and b) even if we did we're not coming up with that solution within 12 hours

>you might try "a Hymn Before Action" by John Ringo
Also thanks, I'll check it out!

Probably not the best place to ask, but what happened to all the space station 13 threads? Haven't seen one in a long time.

>just that a) we dont have a clue what that shit is made of and b) even if we did we're not coming up with that solution within 12 hours
we may not have a thing to shoot at it, but we WILL know WHERE to shoot in a couple of hours after an engineer looks at it or less.

indeed.
super hard Sci-Fi that is...in places...

I don't get HFY.

Do people actually enjoy reading about humanity's cruelty and disdain for other races?

How am I supposed to support humanity when they act like dicks?

It's like people telling us to support the military after we find out that they rape and murder women and children.

Wrtie a HFY story where humans are actually the good guys and display kindness and compassion and I might read it.

I liked that one with the alien insectoid queen that was able to cheat at politics because a human had given her a set of artificial eyes that saw in a wider colour spectrum.

>Do people actually enjoy reading about humanity's cruelty and disdain for other races?
do you even read brah?
not a one of these features cruelty or disdain on the part of humanity...

>Take this faggy shit back to r/HFY

I don't even know what that is you butthurt faggot.

r followed by a slash indicates a subreddit.

Or I guess I should say, I'm not aware of half the reddits some enraged autist screams about whenever they see content that does not meet their asperger's tier standards

Half of them probably don't exist in the first place, someone's just using the subreddit address style to tell you to go fuck a live lamp socket instead of having a little power fantasy wank in our faces about how you're oh so very badass and special and great simply due to having been born the species you were.

Nonhumans please leave.

Anyone got that long story about the robot waifu? They were terraformers

>someone's just using the subreddit address style to tell you to go fuck a live lamp socket instead of having a little power fantasy wank in our faces about how you're oh so very badass and special and great simply due to having been born the species you were.

Yeah...or they could just take a chill pill and not sperg out over people indulging in some escapism on a fantasy themed board.

I love ellipses... they're so cool and implicative...

oh fuck off.

seriously, what is wrong with some people? Who sees a thread and thinks 'people are enjoying this thing I don't like. I'm going to go into the thread and tell them to take their faggy shit back to r/eddit. That'll teach them for having badwrong fun.'

If you don't like a particular thread, no one is forcing you to participate.

I mostly use them in place of a comma to stress the pause.

I know it's incorrect, but it was a bad habit I got into young, and have yet to kick.

>people spamming something only distantly related to traditional games

>and it's retarded

Geez, I wonder why people might tell you to go back.

sauce on that novel?

1.) it's not spamming if it's 1 thread every couple of days or weeks
2.) retarded it isn't, it gives us a way to rationalize humanity and it's role in a sci-fi setting sure its mostly self glorifying wank for the most part, but that can be toned down and used well. its certainly better than the default that every other system uses "humans are the jacks of all trades"

it's book three of the same series that starts with "A Hymn Before Battle" by John Ringo.
"When The Devil Dances" pretty good reasonably hard Sci-Fi. power armor and little (fuzzy) green men and all...

Ringo has a hardon for Rudyard Kipling, and after reading that series and another one he collaborated in, so do I.

Spamming?

>goes to look at the catalog

Lol wut?

If this was like /k/, where for about a month we would have like 10 "pimp my gun" threads going at once, I could understand, but fuck.

>a reaction
You mean a continuation?

Play XCOM on Ironman Impossible and don't give up until you win. My friend, you will learn to hate the xenos with every breath.

>people spamming something only distantly related to traditional games
>implying Veeky Forums only allows threads directly related to traditional games.
Take this thread for example . It's a spaceship thread. Just that - not spaceship gaming systems, not spaceships from a particular game. Just spaceships. Is anyone complaining? No. Because Veeky Forums is more a board for traditional gamers and the shit they find interesting. (also, 'spamming', really? There's a single HFY thread. That isn't spamming. )

So it comes back to: you don't like HFY, and you think that if you don't like something other people shouldn't be allowed to enjoy it.

so again I refer you back to my earlier point:

oh fuck off

Guerill tactics does not work in total warfare. Guerilla can work only when local civilian population is threated with some degree of humanism by conquerors.

More like they want to believe they aren't so they can continue to be tribalists with impunity instead of realizing they're assholes.

>It's a reaction to Humanity fighting aliens against all odds in all our fiction

The Nazis were never, ever, EVER going to win World War II. They at best had a 50-50 shot against the British Empire alone. They stood no chance whatsoever against the Soviet Union OR the United States, let alone both of them at the same time, and even a casual understanding of logistics and economics will bear this out.

Nevertheless, all American (and Russian) films about our fight against the Nazis tends to focus on the idea of the Nazis being in a superior position for one reason or another, and the idea that each of our battles were a desperate struggle against them.

(And the Japanese were even more fucked against America even discounting the atomic bomb - pic related)

It's not a trope unique to sci-fi or aliens, is my point. Human beings simply like underdog stories where Our Heroes win against all odds. It's got nothing to do with the relative perception of humanity verses aliens.

Hey, does anyone have the screencap of the dogs who were left behind after humanity died out, and they were all semi-intelligent, and they met up with aliens.

This is an opinion, not a fact. France was a superpower in WW1 and collapsed instantly in WW2. Now, armed with knowledge of all events you pretend that it was only possible way to go.
If hitler wasnt so greedy and without declaring so many wars on so many fronts at same time - it might go differently.