Why do you play rpgs

why do you play rpgs

I have stories in my head, and I'm terrible on the page, so this is the only way to express them.

To have fun

What this user said.

RPGs are a good way to work the imagination. Hell, they're just games for adults so that they can be children again.

if i took his hat off, would he die

I have in my head a platonic ideal of what a good RPG session should feel like and I haven't experienced it yet

See how happy and bad ass that kid is? That is why!

Escapism. My life is a disaster.

I like fantasy, I like writing stories but would otherwise have nobody to share with apart from a few dozen anons if I ran a shitty blog (since my writing is nowhere near good enough to start thinking about publishing that suit for profit), and it gives me a reason to leave my house and sit round a table with my mates eating, drinking, laughing, and having fun.

It would be extremely painful

I've moved away from RPGs into other things actually because of why I played them.

It was escapism for me. High school was a really shitty time in my life. Not because of school so much as because of home. Having a reliable group of friends to meet every weekend and just roll the night away was a bright spot, and let me feel like I could progress and achieve things when I couldn't afford to do anything else I wanted.

Now I've got other outlets rather than living in a literal fantasy world and pretending I'm smart, charismatic, important etc.

I may go back, but it's lower on the list. I come here for the stories, book/other media recommendations, neat art, discussion of broader topics not exclusive to the tabletop, and the occasional kek.

This might not be the best place for that, but I still see bits of the Veeky Forums I remember from 2011, when I first showed up. It's enough.

Are you me?

I hope not. Purely existential reasons. You from Chicago by chance?

I'm not surprised I'm not the only one, though all of the other RPG players I've met in person had rather different reasons. At least that they freely admit.

There was one game I played in though, right before college, which was basically an excuse to nerd out for hours at a time about star wars. I'd do that shit again in a heartbeat.

For Booze and Bitches, son. What else?

I love telling stories and this is my favorite way to tell them

1)I prefered to play pretend over sports or whatever as a kid.

2)I watched that Dexter episode where they play D&D and became obsessed because it looked cool but I had no idea of what was that.

3)I'n probably autistic.

Because I can't shoot fireballs with my mind irl or fight dragons.

Because I like adventures and shiet.

And mostly it's a good opportunity to drink beers and eat pizza with friends.

I don't.

I GM.
And I GM, because it's better than writing for the drawer. Especially since I've run out of drawers already.

-Great way to spend time with the buds
-Great way to tell a collective story
-Great way to tell my story
-Great way to explore character and world
-Great way to add the unexpected nature of randomness and other people to a story.
-General fun of the game itself, even though it's Pathfinder.
-It's fun to bitch about pathfinder.
-It's not a 40k game

I don't though/