Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Tian Xia Edition.

What sort of Oriental Adventures have you had?

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU

Avowed Playtest: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/deflect-arrows-combat
piratepad.net/kl8lVS8wmw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I've had an adventure of trying to convince people to play Legends of the Wulin with me. Nobody ever agrees.

Still sounds easier than trying to convince people to play Legend with me while they're busy riding 5E's dick.

Legend is ded m8

Still fully playable, though.

Kinda a pain in the ass, though, isn't it? Given it's basically built as a PvP system and the DM has to build every single monster like it's a player.

So just for some clarification: Does it, or does it *not* allow you to just swat a nat20 away?

Weight of attacks seems to be an impossibility, he can get at least 7-8 AoOs per round, and beating the number seems a losing proposition for the most part, not sure it can go as high as Weapon Training with those damn gloves there.

If it's a nat 20 it could be done, but if those are knocked away with ease, chances become dim.

>Because it is a melee attack roll, the crit rules come into play, lending an auto success.

Swashbuckler's specific trumps general, and they can parry Nat 20s

>If her result is greater than the attacking creature's result, the creature's attack automatically misses.

Great so a 14 can in fact just win against a natural 20.

What about "automatic hits" that don't have a roll? Do THOSE at least deny the ability?

A nat 20 can counter a nat 20, but I'd demand a confirm on both counts because attack roll rules.
>the rest of it
Dude, you are facing something designed to shut down archers, which honestly, isn't a terrible thing seeing as they are some of the most dangerous shit a player can throw in a combat situation that isn't magical or initiator.
This is the point where you rapidly come up with some other method, or simply bow out of a race you will not win. Your gimmick has met it's counter, concede.
>that said, if your DM is throwing this at you, he is a dick, and you have probably been abusing the shit

>Swashbuckler's specific trumps general, and they can parry Nat 20s
Cut thru the Air is a feat, not a Swashbuckler CF.

No specific ruling has been made.
To note DSP has made a rule regarding counters vs no-attack roll in such a situation: no-attack roll cannot be countered.

Doesn't change anything, really

>If the result is greater than the attack roll total of the ranged attack, the attack is deflected.

The attack is "deflected" if they beat the opponent's roll. Specific trumping generic again.

Everything you need to know about deflection and how it interacts with attacks is here, in the FAQ sidebar: d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/deflect-arrows-combat

>The attack is "deflected" if they beat the opponent's roll. Specific trumping generic again.
It is not the same language as Deflect Arrows, hardly conclusive.
Deflect Arrows requires no roll, while Cut Thru the Air specifically calls for attack rolls, with the rules that comes with attack rolls. The rules do not say "Crits based on attack rolls are ignored".

Yeah they do.

I just quoted it to you. If you roll higher than your opponent, it's deflected.

What is wrong with pathfinder that you think should be changed in 2.0?

>monsters have weird balance, with some being bullshit and others being easy
>there seems to be no good standards for expected character ability or competence at different levels.
>7th level spells are broken.

Hey folks! I just saw a nifty little post asking how you're supposed to write a "good" character and, while there were some smashing good responses, I thought I'd toss my two cents at the problem.

The first mistake you will ever make while designing a character is assuming you're a writer, trying to design a long and intricate backstory that connects all the dots that leads your character to the campaign start. Fuck that. You're not a writer, you're a salesman, and you need to convince the prospective buyers that your wares are better than the ones next stall over.

How do you do this? You need to *sell* it, and the only thing that's worth more than a good story is a good sensation; use flowery prose, figure out the tone of the campaign and harmonize (make a hammy character for a hammy campaign, for example) use alliteration and simile and metaphor and all those funky words they taught in English class. You are trying to elicit an emotion, and I can guarantee a character that flutters the heart or gets you hype will always, *always* beat the little shitter that wrote a technically excellent piece of biography.

From there, all you need to do is stir the pot, bang your spoon against the rim and shout out your wares and how amazing they are in the General. Don't ever do it too hard, nobody wants the rancid stench of desperation!

Paths of the Righteous leaks when?

so you are telling me
that i should suck dick for attention

Well, they sure ain't called attention whores because of their role in the creation of proper townships in the Wild West.

>Be writing up a listof how cdrtain characters make me feel, encouraging others to do the same
>My browser fucks up and autorefreshes itself
>Lose it all

Motherfucker

I swear some people are allergic to other characters interacting to them
They just get paralyzed and do nothing

Christ, dude, think a little before asking a question like that.

It's the middle of fucking exam period for many colleges and universities, and you want ANOTHER fifty page summary from us?

Armor is damage reduction
Weapons now also have armor penetration values
New action economy
Path of War style actions for all classes, but more toned down and abstracted
HP remade to be two layered, deep wounds and strain that heals fast after each encounter
And many more

>No JJ
>No Bulhman
>No PR playtests (actually read the fucking feedback)

Do you have the gist of each character and how they made you feel, at least?

That is precisely how most people have a habit of consistently getting into campaigns - it's not even a sleazy tactic, it's been a thing since Greek times, when the person who often got the most votes was the one who had the loudest, fattest announcer on a podium.

People want people they feel comfortable with in a campaign, that's why user was pounding so hard on the idea of conveying emotion and feeling more than a long story, because connecting on an emotional level is *powerful.*

That was what I lost, but I can try doing it over. It's not exactly complicated, and I don't care enough to go over everyone yet. Feel free to drop your own lists.
>Amandia: Cinnamon bun too pure for this cruel world
>Shizuka and Aranha: Pack your bags, you're going on an ADVENTURE
>Anja: Kinda spooky, but can't be that bad, probably just needs a friend
>Casimir: The cool Uncle who knows how to do like, fifty things, and will tell you about all the medals he won
>Silvia: needs a pat on the back/head and to be told there are people who care about her
>Bartran: whose sassy, lost child is this, and did they just rob me?
>Gil: probably a literal animal in bed, might smell weird and keep his door locked
>Rinka: RAT/10, begging to get bullied, but needs it to be carefully crafted to bring out maximum potential
>Gallius: took 3 minutes to get over that name, but a nice guy with self esteem issues
>Grayson: no bones to pick with this one, will have to see how he rolls
>Zeldana: That weird neighbor who's hot, but she just got over her goth phase and is way too huggy
>Ceri: Oh shit son what are you doing could tolerate it, desu.

>could tolerate it, desu.
Thanks! Tough i will probably revise and polish his backstory (I was kinda tired when making it and English isn't even my first language) and maybe also build. Besides that I have an alternative in mind tough it will be some time before I actually get around to doing it.

No, he's saying that style is more important than substance in this case. You should be evocative, compelling and harmonizing with themes of the game. Stick in peoples' minds and make them go "yeah, that's nice stuff". Interesting story is one thing but presentation is more important.

>Cinnamon bun
And like that, being unmemed has paid off.

>Zeldana: That weird neighbor who's hot, but she just got over her goth phase and is way too huggy

And the hugs have all these weird pokey bits where the human body is not supposed to be weird metal pokey bits!

>Khair: [the_hand_of_science.mp3]
>Onryou: Would waifu if she wasn't another PC, lookin' forward to seeing her Shun Goku Satsu a motherfucker.
>Shizuka: No matter how I look at it, it's Lonjiku's fault I'm not popular
>Kanela: Bounce.
>Aranha: Spidaaaa kick!

Daughteru is not for corrupting, she is for hugging and protecting

You cheeky futhermocker!

>TFW no-one will play DitV with you

>tfw you've played Dungeon World for so long you would kill for a simple ApoWorld game

Made a thing after going over character discussion. Any RotJR players in the thread care to add something or suggest edits?

that is a lot of characters

Gil was implied to have been in love with Nualia? Or was that actually just shitposting and tinfoil hattery?

Which classes are great at fighting evil outsiders?
I'm making a level 3 character and want to specialize in that.

paladin

Anja definitely needs more friends.

That's actually pretty impressive, good job.

It says something about this game that we can honestly speculate about inter-character developments, develop tinfoil hat shit, and attempt to remember whether it is such.

It has grown far beyond what the GM likely originally intended.

>ERP bullshit with this clique
god damn

Paladin, or a Cleric or Wizard specializing in Conjuration.
For the latter, take the Riftwarden PrC

Very few will make it in, and Alt SMS don't fall out of the sky

Honestly, I'd be perfectly fine if my character was never picked, making the character was really the fun part for me.

Holy shit it's just like in my animes.

>SMS
DMs
I don't even know what that means. I hat my phone auto-correct

So many things.
But off the top of my head,
>Martials also get narrative changing ability, similar in scope to what spells can do, but more in flavor with vigilante, like the ability to retcon achievements into the plot
>Short rests are a thing like in 5e but 5 minutes long, they recover a number of class abilities that used to be limited per day
>Martial class design is more in tune with DSP where they have a number of meaningful choices every turn, focus is taken away from full attacking. Spellcasters should get a share of this fun, too.
>Trap options and feat taxes removed
>The essential bonuses become innate character boosts rather than items you have to buy that take slots
>Combat Maneuver system overhaul
>Removal of general 'save or do nothing the rest of the battle' effects like frightened, paralyzed, etc
>Give CHA more stuff
>Finesse is free, dex to damage is an option, but strength also gets more stuff

And that's just off the top of my head.

What anime do you watch that have relationship webs that big?

Ceri was raised by Koya and partly by Shalelu. Though it's as I've said here and it might change.

Most of them that have any semblance of plot have them that large.

The thing everybody complains about with PF's wonky balance is full casters, but I think the problem is more one of spell lists. Classes like the summoner show us that, even without 7-9th level spells, a spell list with too many powerful spells can be pretty gamebreaking. Likewise, Ertw's beguiler shows us that even with full 9th level casting, a properly curated spell list can make a full caster much less powerful. So what I'd like to see in PF2.0 is more thematic casters like the beguiler rather than a small number of powerful casters with massive spell lists.

Shizuka would love to go on an adventure! It's just that, well, there's not that many opportunities to do so in a sleepy place like Sandpoint, and it's been driving her nuts because she's secretly a thrill-junky in the body of what looks like an older Tomoko.

>you will never actually get to play a normal game that allows pow/psionics
DSP might as well throw in the towel and make Book of Erotic Deeds.

You mean Bloodforge?

I wish I could convince people to play Jade Empire as a setting.

>MFW not sure if I'm happy or sad that my char didn't make the list

Given time, I could probably develop more theories. All I got right now is Gil isthe kind of person who gets in trouble for having pets in his apartment, when he doesn't even own any.

Like i said, couldn't be assed to go through EVERYONE in one go. I'll have to go check a full list and go down it later.

There are so many smiles that need protecting.

>Sexual Initiating

>Iron Tortoise Binding
>Riven Hourglass Figure
>Bible Black Seraph
>Penetrating Thunder
>Sleeping Carress
>Golden Shower
>Eternal Orgasm
>Primal Furries
>Steel Serpent
>Thrashing Dragon

Do you think Shizuka ever bugs the foreigners in Sandpoint about their life outside the quaint hamlet? I'm sure she'd have asked her kid sister about her time in Taldor, or where Casimir got his funny accent, or if it really snows in summer in the Land of the Linnorm Kings, even if Song is a merciless bully!

>Gallius: took 3 minutes to get over that name, but a nice guy with self esteem issues
What, you have issue with the name of Gallius Gadzo von Gallant?

There's AFAIK a full list here, user! piratepad.net/kl8lVS8wmw

>Elemental-

Okay you know what no it's too easy.

You sure you shouldlink that here, senpai?

It took me that long to stop laughing hysterically. Solid 10/10 hearty chuckle.

I got the link from here and saved it under my favorites, so I don't see why not?

I just assume anything that can be editwd will be vandalized thoroughly, I guess.

Did you read the names of all his family members?

How 5e handled higher level spell slots making spells more powerful is actually better than Caster Levels.

Also no more bonus spell slots.

Most people have no idea about the monster role list in the back of the bestiaries being used to balance type of monster vs type of party/character classes in party.

Another thing to add is that the entire spell list needs and overhaul.

What I would do is separate spells not only by level, but by "rarity". Where rarity is power of a spell within a level. Certain spells would be changed to be less power or more limited.

Not only do you only get a certain number of spells of each level, but as well only a number of a certain rarity.

Teleportation would be a higher rarity spell.

If I were to do it there would only be two. Standard Spells and Legendary Spells. Honestly to a degree this is how I already do it in personal games. 3

Making the game MORE complicated is not a solution.

I admit that spell rarity would be more complex, but it could easily be presented in an easy way.

Here is an example.

Simply present them as a mechanic like Rogue Talents. Have a short list where every other level you choose a legendary spell, and have them be on their own list away from spells and list their requirements (levels, other spells, feats, etc).

There, now they are only as complicated as rogue talents are.

I think having certain spells on a "legendary" list, have them require feats/levels/etc. is not only not that complicated (again with likening them to rogue talents/rage powers/discoveries/etc.), but also solve a lot of issue.

Heck even make a "Extra Legendary Spells" feat like one does with Rogue Talents.

As well, like with an opposition school make it so legendary spells require two spell slots to prepare and cast.

Create a bunch of feats around it, it could be great. Especially because requiring wizards to specialize to get the legendary spells they want makes them more narrow in scope, which is a good thing.

Why don't we just move the super good spells up a level or nerf them?

Haste is a 4th level spell? Ill still cast it.

A lot of the problem as I see it is not just the spell level, but a wizard's ability to easily add new spells to his spell book and the number of "high power" spells he has. If this was reduced by making them unable to simply be transferred to a spell book and limiting them in number than that, in my mind, remedies a lot of these issues.

I do not put Haste as a "legendary" spell. I place more importance of narrative power than combat power. However some combat spells make it in as well, like Cloud Kill.

I should just write this up, because I actually think this may be a good way to make an Unchained Wizard.

It would be better if every spell had a cost to prepare it. Ability burn, save penalties, basically making preparing every slot be suicide

>Silvia: needs a pat on the back/head and to be told there are people who care about her
Headpats might be too much for her. She'd die of embarrassment.

I disagree. I hate the idea of taking damage for using my class features - there's a reason Overchannel was never picked up in 3.5 psionics, and it's the reason why Kineticist is such a steaming turd.

Song is her family name, Lilin is her personal name, and she works for Sheriff Hemlock, not Mayor Deverin.

To be fair, it's padded with a few NPCs, but on the other hand that only accounts for about like 1 in 8.

Fuck, how'd I get those two mixed up?

>let's make the wizard a sorcerer!
Jesus

>then let's give them burn!
Christ

The names? Everyone except me has been calling her Song Lilin, so not too out of the question. The employer? I think I might have mentioned Mayor Deverin more than Sheriff Hemlock in her backstory. She also doesn't particularly like Jubrayl or Ameiko, but that's more minor.

If I were to do Unchained Wizards, this would likely be a list of changes:
>School specialization overhaul, instead of 2 powers there are 3 (1st, 7th, 13th level powers)
>No such thing as a "Universalist" instead one has to specialize
>Opposition schools would be changed, instead there would be Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary schools
>Bonded object would be the standard, familiars would need to be garnered through a "legendary spell" slot for Summon Familiar
>Cantrips would go back to being limited use
>Certain spells would be removed from the spell list and transferred into a "Legendary" spell list that would act much like rogue talents with level requirements, feat requirements, and spell book requirements.
>Legendary spells act like old opposition spells, requiring two spell slots to prepare

I believe Talents in general feels good, choice and variety feels good. It's the same reason I essentially added it to everything in the Broken Shackles martials. Limiting access to certain spells as well, along with limiting access to certain schools (through secondary & tertiary schools) adds not only to the difficulty of magic but the overall need for specialization.

The main issue with wizards as I see it is the ability to simply do everything. That needs to be limited. If I were to go farther I would overhaul the entire spell casting system to work more than 5e's.

I don't see how that is better from a balance perspective or fun perspective. It simply makes wizards, one of the classes with the poorest support for increasing their saving throws (essentially no class features for it, and their spell list only helps bit for buffing saves in particular) into even further glass cannons.

While I argue against feel good mechanics for the sake of feel good, I argue against feel bad mechanics in their entirety except when they come with a narratively focused position (like Oracle Curses).

Oh, most certainly! She claims it's for a book that she's writing, but really it's because she wants to learn more about the lands outside of her home! Also to write a book, so she's not lying so to speak.

>let's make the wizard a sorcerer!
They would primarily still act like wizards. Are you disagreeing that access to certain spells shouldn't have requirements/be limited? Honestly I'm just spitballing here, do you have suggestions because this is just ideas off the top of my head.

The thing is though they are still prepared casters. I don't see how they act like sorcerers. Is it in that some spells are limited access? But sorcerers don't do that either. I'm confused.

>then let's give them burn!
Wait I'm confused, where did I give them burn.

>Unchained Wizard

isn't it a chained up wizard though?

In the same sense the summoner is unchained.

>If I were to do Unchained Wizards, this would likely be a list of changes:
honestly it sounds like good changes

>If I were to go farther I would overhaul the entire spell casting system to work more than 5e's.
meh on this point

Phoneposting.

I think wizards should basically get all spells free. Like a cleric. Pay 10 gold x spell level x spell level seems good.

Balance the spells snd the problem is gone. Simple.

That makes wizards even stronger though.

Unchained = Re-designed

Speaking of wizards, does anyone have the Wisword? I think it was spelled that way, I think it was a DSP joke?

>Balance the spells snd the problem is gone. Simple.
This is a lot harder than 'simple'.

No it was some guys homebrew.

who dis and why should I care how he wants wizards?

I only have the original version.

It was a joke homebrew though.

Which one is yours, user?

That's the idea! We need to make her more comfortable to affection, even if it means scratching behind her ears or grooming her hair!