/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Fighter UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/fighter
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread If Wizards ever revised a class archetype like they revised the Ranger, which one would you want the most?

Other urls found in this thread:

moxboardinghouse.com/media/cosmonomicon/
dandwiki.com/wiki/Soulknife_(5e_Class)
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyGRUsiD
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just Archetype, or are Classes an option?

Because I would say Wizard

If it's just a single archetype, then I've undoubtedly got to say the Way of the Four Elements monk.

But if it was an entire class, I'd say the Sorcerer. Not that there's anything really mechanically wrong with the Sorcerer as-is, I just would like to see it differentiated more from the Wizard.

Not pact of the blade.
Pact oftheblade shouldn't be a level 3 choice when warlocks already have a not-too-important level 1 choice and a not-too-important level 3 choice.

It needs to be like valor bard, but valor bard as a level 3 warlock choice is way too strong.

At the moment, almost all the classes are at least functional. The issue with Ranger was that it felt like a weaker fighter, and even the unique things like Beast Master didn't work well at all.

If they did anything, I would have them revise Sorcerer.
>Give Draconic Sorcs full resistance to the damage type
>Give Draconic, Wild, and Storm sorcs a 1/3/5/7/9 free spell list

... Otherwise monk
In particular want to see them revise monk so the archetype is important enough that WOT4E is a big deal.
Right now all monks boil down to stunsticks eventually.

Once again, letting Sorcerers to use spell points does make them feel a lot different already, even though it hardly adds anything new to their toolbelt.

Maybe you could expand their spell list a little too.

It'd make sense if it blocked all energy-based weapons but not ballistics, but then it was blocking gunfire, but eh.

At least it sounds cool. That sort of thing is comforting.

That sounds interesting to promote a 'break the shields then lay down gunfire' approach rather than 'just stay at range and lay down gunfire'.

moxboardinghouse.com/media/cosmonomicon/

Thoughts on this setting? What would I have to keep in mind / add to flesh this out and make it playable? Any ideas for adventures, encounters, etc?

It looks awful.

I think giving Sorcerers some Sorcerer specific spells would help a lot.

Would making a conjure fiend spells that's pretty much identical to conjure fey but with fiends be balanced?

no

>full resistance
5e isn't for the powerlevel where characters could get immunity earlier.

If you mean immunity later (Say level 14+) then I'd probably agree, though it feels like each flavour of dragon sorcerer deserves some special ability to balance it out. Also more high-level spells for each element.

And then give wild sorcerer fucktons of Fun and !!Science!!.

Care to explain why?

Oh no, I don't mean immunity, I mean resistance. The level 6 feature "Elemental Affinity" allows sorcs to spend a sorcery point to gain resistance to their damage type for 1 hour. I think they should just have permanent resistant to that damage type.

Maybe make it full immunity at higher level, like 14 or 18, but at least make it so they have it without spending points.

Werewolf are humanoid right? Our DM think they are immune to charm person and hold person for some reason.

Oh, yeah. It's really awkwardly worded right now.

Medium Humanoid (human, shapechanger)
No immunity to charm.

Yeah, don't get what's going on there.
>our werewolves are different

Yes, Werewolves are humanoids.

Basically this, Elements monk is sorely in need of a revision.

My complaint with Sorcerer is a bit different, I just think it needs more archetype options beyond dragonslut and randoman.

Check the MM. They are humanoid when in their humanoid form or hybrid form and beasts when in their animal form.

Immune to nonmagical nonsilvered weapons.
No other immunities.

Bumping for answers

You already got the answer. It was "no"

Another week passes and another ua is released where the only option with thought put into it is the first one in the PDF.

with zero explanation. not him but im curious too. is it just that the list of monsters is much more useful? CR still applies.

Sure.

Well SCAG has the Storm Sorcery origin, and UA has the Shadow origin and the Favored Soul origin.

Go shitpost somewhere else

They made an Unearthed Arcana for this already pleb

If it's a tuesday or friday and your name is Bob.

Sorry mearls, 5eg is a place with standards. The fighter ua sucks like the druid and the cleric one did before it.

>only option with thought put into it

Based on what?

What makes it look awful? Space Opera with D&D rules? Seems legit.

Why don't they give the warlock any demon summoning?

Does that take into consideration that AA is the worst one of the martial archetypes presented, isn't actually martial as an archetype, and should clearly just be a battle master?

That ua sucked. They really should just release a conjure lesser fiend and a conjure major fiend like the elemental spells to prevent spell bloat. We don't need a spell for each fiend.

The worst you could summon at base level would be a Vrock or a Chasme, which would be strong aoe debilitations but I don't necessarily think OP. At higher levels, you could summon up to a Bone Devil, or two Succubi/Incubi.

It'd probably be balanced, I don't immediately see anything that could be abused. If anything though, losing concentration on them is even worse than Fey creatures, since they probably have more inclinations to fuck with you.

The other three options are poorly cobbled together mish mashes of either redundant ideas or half baked d&d-wiki tier features.

Like it out not, the battle master framework needs to be copied to more subclasses. Ideally every fighter subclass except champion fighters.

Not sure, but the book does encourage you to make up your own stuff in case you don't agree with them. My DM let me have Resurrection as a wizard, taking this spell as a warlock should be fine

Hey, the cleric one was great.

Since its unearthed arcana and not canon material I'm cool with them having spells for specific demons, it's dramatic

If they do use Superiority die more, they at least need to mix it up. If it's supposed to be using them for only a handful of effects, then they should get a bigger quantity. If it's mainly for damage, then they should have bigger dice to start.

The first part of the cleric one was. I love forge clerics. Then we got the flavor fail grave cleric that was also completely busted, and the so boring I fell asleep protection cleric.

Devil contracts are getting too complicated for me

>5eg is a place with standards
You know how I know you're not from around here?
The cleric UA really was atrocious though

All the weekly UAs so far have been good to great.

I want to make Ghost Rider inspired character. I'm thinking Scourge Aasimar with 3 to 5 levels in Paladin with the Oath of Vengeance or Oathbreaker (I like the abilities) and the rest in Warlock. I'm not sure which pact yet, but I'm thinking of either the Fiend or Undying Light patron. Background would be Haunted One. Any tips or advice? Are there any unique or special weapons added in any supplements?

Forge clerics got paladin spells and +2 to AC. Fun or not, they were an awfully-designed archetype.
Same goes for Protection - just copies other people's stuff.
At least Grave had its own thing going and wasn't OP.

All the weekly UAs so far have been halfway decent to almost awesome. Cleric and bard, respectively.

no

I'm not sure where they were going with the Grave cleric. It was like they started with Death cleric and then decided halfway through that it was supposed to be an anti-undead cleric after all. I kind of liked the idea though.

Protection cleric was trash, and there's no point in playing one over a Life cleric.

Pact of the blade, use a whip.

Wow 5e is bitchy today.

They're not really sure where they're going with half of them (grave cleric, tempest barbarian, that dickish second bard, shaman druid all seriously lack coherence), which is why none of it is official. They're literally just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.
Which I'd be fine with, if it actually led to some new release in the not-too-distant future.

Forge cleric was loaded down with passives, but fire immunity, item creation and metal conversion, and magic item blessing are all interesting directions to take things.

Grace cleric is annoying. Why does a cleric that hunts down undead deal necrotic damage, which the majority of undead resist or are immune to? Why does it get to make fire elementals take damage from fire with no save?

Protection cleric is just hilariously bad.

You must not come here often if you think this is anything but normal.

Probably just the one guy who thinks he's trolling you. But this place does tend to be nicer before evening Europeans and morning Americans all log on at once.

For sure, Forge had interesting ideas. It's just that it broke 5e's design principles for no apparent reason. Blessing should NOT give +anything. Clerics should NOT get the defense fighting style, or any fighting style.

Also, you're going to get hate for claiming undead are resistant to necrotic in approximately 20 seconds.

Why would I get hate for it? A quick survey of the monster manual shows that they are, with a few exceptions.

>necrotic damage, which the majority of undead resist or are immune to

Do you know how I know you've never read the MM?

>poorly cobbled together mish mashes of either redundant ideas
>the battle master framework needs to be copied to more subclasses
You call that thinking?

Definitely go Vengeance Pally, Ghost Rider is all about the spirit of vengeance. Ask your DM to reflavor a Pike to be a Spiked Chain from older editions, grab Polearm Master so you can hit with both ends of it and slap people around. Maybe get Mounted Combatant to use the fuck out of your Find Steed mount (which should be a Fiend Warhorse).

If you do plan on going Warlock, try to at least fit in 6 levels of Paladin, you sure as hell want that Aura of Protection. Pact of the Blade is the best thematically, just so you can summon your chain, but it doesn't really do anything for you mechanically. Fiend patron should be obvious.

You must not come here at 8:00 AM GMT if you think this is the only possible state.

Because "Chill Touch does necrotic damage and is clearly meant to be used against undead."
case in point

RAI say that the only stats that really change are its AC, all of its actions have conditionals related to form but are still there if in another

It should have a mind similar to a humanoid, and can atleast understand Common while a wolf, so I don't see why hold person or charm person can't work.

The DM can make a ruling however they want.

The battlemaster is a framework that you can put new ideas into. There isn't any contradiction.

The battlemaster framework was cool until the exact moment they tried to extend it to other classes and archetypes. It was called the Gothic Heroes UA and it was trash.

RAW not RAI.

How would you make each of the 9 characters in TF2?

I do like the idea of putting in a partial-magic themed fighter subclass that uses short rest recharge though, mechanically. The effects just aren't strong enough right now for what you get.

well first you need to install TF2 onto your computer and play it
then you need to stop asking stupid questions

>Medic -> Life Cleric
>Sniper->Sharpshooter Fighter, or Warlock with Spell Sniper
>Soldier->Fighter with loads of javelins and boots of striding and springing
>Scout->Speedster Cat

50/50 multiclass with Warlock

Do you know how I know you've never read it?

Banshee, immune
Death tyrant, normal
Crawling claw, normal
Death knight, resistant
Demi lich, immune
Adult blue Draco lich, resistant
Flame skull, resistant
Ghost, immune
Ghast, resistant
Ghoul, normal
Lich, resistant
Mummy, immune
Mummy Lord, immune
Bone Naga, normal
Revenant, resistant
Shadow, immune
Skeleton, normal
Minotaur skeleton, normal
Warhorse skeleton, normal
Spectre, immune
Vampire, resistant
Vampire spawn, resistant
Wight, resistant
Wraith, immune
Zombie, normal
Ogre zombie, normal
Beholder zombie, normal

There are more immune or resistant undead in the book than not. Grave clerics are better at killing humans than the things they are supposed to kill.

You mean they're only good at killing undead that are created by crypt-robbing necromancers.

Basically, if it's powered by negative energy, it probably resists necrotic. If it's just an animated corpse, it doesn't.

>Skeletons and Zombies, which make up almost every encounter with undead, take normal damage
K

pie this shit

Looks like if it has some form of sapience, they tend to at least resist necrotic

"Mindless" undead have no such resistance.

Further suggesting that positive/negative energy are more tied to your soul than your body.

I think a bar graph would be more helpful here.

Nah. We need a Venn diagram for this.

This is the best, clearly.

I don't know, user. I think a line-chart would represent it better.

Separate bars you dunce

>I think a bar graph would be more helpful here.
I dunno, I like a pie chart now and then

That's not a bar graph

Here. Let me get started. Creatures immune to necrotic damage:
>Solar (Celestial), Banshee, Death Knight, Demilich, Ghost, Helmed Horror (Construct), Mummy, Mummy Lord, Shadow, Specter, Wraith.
Creatures resistant to necrotic damage:
>Shadow Demon (Fiend), Dracolich, Shadow Dragons(Dragon), Flameskull, Ghast, Lich, Revenant, Vampire, Vampire Spawn, Wight, Will-o'-Wisp.
Creatures who take normal damage from necrotic: Everything else.

What makes eberron such an attractive / popular setting? I've never played in it myself, or any other setting outside of FR or whatever the fuck Sword Coast is in.

People like trains.

Pulp fantasy action adventure, basically. Planar incursions, a continent of adventure, simmering post-war conflicts, a country with a practical extra evil undead labor force, quiet gods, questionable alignements, and the number 13.

I don't really care for the dragons, prophecy, or the dragonmarks, personally.

High Fantasy, low level. People like them gnomes

I kind of like it for the Dungeonpunk vibe. Warforged and elemental powered machinery is a nice change of pace from the typical.

Sword Coast is in Forgotten Realms

That's what I'm saying; I've never played in anything other than that.

I played a Dark Sun PC game when I was a kid, thought that was cool. Recently been looking into Spelljammer and Dragonstar and Birthright, trying to find ways to explore things like that and to play in 5e.

dandwiki.com/wiki/Soulknife_(5e_Class)
Guy in my group has been pushing to be allowed to play this from day 1. He doesn't see why we don't want him to play it.

>Dark Sun PC game when I was a kid
I'm now imagining the starting chapters of Baldur's Gate in Dark Sun, particularly the bit around the iron mine. That would seem a lot less like petty bullshit in Dark Sun's setting.

Thoughts on these rogue homebrews?

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyGRUsiD

>made my character without the rest of the group
>used entirely core rules
>later learn that the DM said we can use things from that awful wiki

The powergaming nigger in me says I missed an opportunity for cheese but the reasonable person in me says it's for the best since just about everything on that site is garbage anyway

I'm running CoS, the party just left the village of Barovia.

The party concists of a War Cleric, a Shadow Sorcerer, a Champion and a revised Deep Stalker. How do you see their chances of survival?

one bar for immune/resist and one bar for normal

Holy shit, that Enhanced Mind Blade ability is broken
A free +1 magic weapon at level 6 that can be summoned at will? Wtf dandwiki

Some of the encounters are pretty brutal at 3-4th level. Don't be afraid to scale down from 6 werewolves.

I picked up Major Image and I told my DM I'd make the image of a fearsome red dragon in one spot to scare some enemies away, and he said it'd be a small dragon, and I said "no, it's 20ft by 20ft, that's 4 squares so it's like Gargantuan in size" and he said "that's just one of the dragon's feet" and I was like "oh"

Is he right? When the MM says a dragon is "huge" does it mean each of its four feet is 3x3 squares?
That's too big!