/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Fighter UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/fighter
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread What house rules have you played with that you can't imagine playing without?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RDx2DNzhnDM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

When should a player fear for their character family's lives?

When the dm gives them reason to.

With bad DMs, always.

>house rule
Everyone gets a bonus feat at level 1.

>What house rules have you played with that you can't imagine playing without?
My DM is new, and I never told him about the concentration rules, he doesn't know damage can break it, does this count as a house rule?

I guess you can concentrate on as many spells as you like too?

Players have in game families?

I've been dming for a few years now and my players just fill in mechanical benefits conferred by their backgrounds into the section instead of any story.

How do I fix this?

Everybody gets 1 reroll per session.You must take the second result, even if its worse. This applies to character creation and hp rolls, if you want.

>Can I cheat

Tell them to come up with a story when they create their character.

I let my players drink potions as a free/bonus action

Anytime I try to get them to talk about their characters, they respond with passionless statements like "uhh, maybe we're a circus troupe"

Ask em about their families, especially during character generation.
If nobody cares to think about it in-depth, ask about different things.

If people consistently don't' care to think about it, then stop pressing it and either accept that it's something they don't care to consider, or get a different group.

Jail break scheme! Can a forge cleric use a ritual to convert a metal bar into a sword?

>I guess you can concentrate on as many spells as you like too?
My conscience doesn't allow that

I don't cheat, just forget some rules that are beneficial to me

Yes

I used my old PC as family. It kinda help reassure that the DM won't mess with them since they are high level adventurers.

Yes. Forge clerics are great.

Can Minor Conjugation be used to create material components (that arent consumed)?

I feel like more people do this than don't with 5e.

>I don't cheat, I just cheat

Yes. It can create material components that are consumed too.

Our group has always played with these house rules, with some being class specific but otherwise universal

>Flanking in general
>Can opt to use Str instead of Cha for intimidation checks
>If the DM want bonus feats at level 1, variant human is banned, preventing double feats
>homebrew races and classes are allowed if it matches the concept as long as you okay it with the DM

Class wise, we get flexible with it. Maintaining a character's mechanical concepts are more important to us than being OP, although we know the system pretty well and don't meaningfully try for dumb shit like reskinned greatswords for punching weapons. Some we've used in the past were

>Sorcerers can use the spell point variant rule
>Paladins can smite with a bow

Probably the biggest one we've done was allowing the Rogue to sneak attack with a cantrip fired from her shortbow, but considering she was the only real damage dealer, it didn't bother us too much

So I fiddled with the weapon mechanics a bit to make each one a bit more diverse or useful. The only major change is the option to choose damage type with some weapons where it makes sense. (You can slash with a dagger or stab with a longsword.). The only one that may not make sense is the greataxe, which I gave slash and blug to so it's not straight-up inferior to the greatsword. My reasoning is that you can have one end sharpened while the other is duller and thicker. I also bumped up some of the simple weapons to be slightly more viable if you're a Life Cleric that doesn't just want to healbot or a non-blade Warlock that can hit things that are too close for EB harder. I also added a two-handed option for DEXfags just because.

Thoughts?

When the players made sure that their characters had no living relatives, and then suddenly their family members aren't so dead anymore.

>house rules

Nature is a Wisdom check, Medicine is an Intelligence check.

How do you guys feel about your players pulling off cool shit to completely destroy an encounter that should have been way too hard? I love this sort of shit.
>PCs helping kobolds against a gnoll warband that has been harassing them in exchange for their help later
>After defeating much of the warband through small skirmishes and guerilla tactics while avoiding the Flind (CR 9, party of 4 level 5s),
>some of the last remaining gnolls along with the flind track the players find the entrance to the Kobolds caverns
>The PCs escape, ouitrunning them by tricking them with alternate passages and illusions
>Lead them to a 20 ft chasm with a rope bridge across it, unknown how deep
>Before they arrive, stand the barbarian on an immovable rod in the middle of the bridge, cut the bridge and Major Image a new one.
>Barbarian taunts the flind, who leads from the front into charging, but he makes the investigation roll to determine the bridge is fake
>Managing to keep his balance despite the arrows and spears thrown at him
>Druid casts jump
>Barb rolls to hurricane rana (youtube.com/watch?v=RDx2DNzhnDM he's a wrestling fan) the flind, who is at the ledge from his investigation check
>Suceeds the acrobatics roll and the contested strength, as well as the roll to grab onto the ledge on his way down, the Flind grabs his leg on the way down
>Both dangling off the cliff over an essentially bottomless pit
>Contested strength roll for the flind to try and climb up over the barb
>Comes out even
>Barbs turn, rolls to kick the flind off
>Barb rolls low
>Barb is in rage, advantage rolls again
>Not even shitting, natural 20+4
>Flind kicked into the abyss

Like damn son, that should have been an incredibly hard fight but the flind was killed in like 2 turns. Coolest shit my parties ever done.

It's funny when I tell the group rules that fuck us

it's spelled "versatile"

I think this makes weapons less diverse rather than more.

They seem fine, probably.

That seems really cheesy. Got a source, or do you just mean by RAW?

>lucrene
Lucerne?
Scythes are not fucking weapons, 1d4
Unless it's a properly modified war scythe

>Protection cleric trades compelled duel for shield in its spell list
>Forge cleric loses passive +1 AC at level 6 and trades shield for burning hands in its spell list
>Samurai activating their level 3 ability no longer costs an action
>Arcane archer has fighter level/2 uses of arcane arrow, regains 2 uses on short rest and all uses on long rest
>Sharpshooter's steady aim is always active
Thoughts?

>Half a campaign in before anyone realizes we were ignoring the cantirp only restriction on second spells
>Sorcs/Wizards/Clerics face when

>>Samurai activating their level 3 ability no longer costs an action
Why?

By raw. What's cheesy about it?

I'm terrible without spellcheck. Wordpad doesn't have that option. Should probably use MS Word next time I cap.

I know, I've read all the times it's been argued about on Veeky Forums, but it's dee n dee so I don't think the player's suspension of disbelief would be affected much.

>works with dual wielding
>no longer anti-synergistic with the level 15 feature
>can use both second wind and archetype feature at the same time
I don't think it would make the samurai insane, but it doesn't need more limitations on an ability it can only ever use 3/short rest while the battlemaster can do cool shit 4+ times a rest.

That happened in my table too, I was playing a cleric. It was a blast

The fact that said spells are balanced around the gp cost to use them mostly, it seems like it wouldnt be allowed RAI to me since its not a "real" one.

Mind you I'd be glad if it is allowed since I'm going to play a Conjugation wiz and that would be hella convenient

holy shit the weebs

The part where you can create incredibly rare items that costs thousands of gold pieces?

>literally on a mongolian finger painting forum
>complaining about weebs
I'm seriously not seeing how this would break samurai, and I'm comparing it to battlemaster and seeing it as weak as-is.

Also I really wish samurai was named something less culture-specific

Not that guy, but even if you are having scythes be less realistic, 2d4 and simple would better to represent that it's effectively a quarter staff with a dagger strapped to it at best. Which is perfectly fine as a simple weapon. Could probably use similar stats for a pitchfork.

...Which you would have to expend the same value in materials to create.

Beats me, I've never played in a group in any edition that ever enforced material components.

>Conjugation wizard
Is this a wizard that uses power words, or one that gets power through sexual intercourse?

We house rule a conjure fiend spell. It's just like conjure fey, except with fiends. It's a sixth level spell for warlocks and wizards.

>Minor Conjuration
It's the wizard conjuration school feature, not the forge cleric channel divinity.

You could, by RAW, use it to conjure a 5kgp diamond and use said diamond to cast Gate.

You realize that the level 3 ability lasts two rounds already, right? It's not underpowered.

If you want fixes for Samurai, here you go.

They're mostly balanced around being really high level spells.

Iirc, if you go by recommended treasure charts, the PCs should usually get at least one resurrections worth of gems per major quest completed once they are capable of casting it.

So if you look at as a purely gold based concern, you aren't really changing anything besides giving the players a discount on their death tax.

What is this rule?

If you cast a spell that has a casting time of 1 bonus action, the only other spell you can cast that turn has to be a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

>people post my homebrew

Feels good man. Also, added just a minor fix to wording. From "gain" to "regain"

Does anyone here like the spell point variant rule? Is it prone to abuse at all? Would you consider it a buff over the normal system?

I don't think I worded this right.

Samurai isn't underpowered, you're right, but I don't think making activating fighting spirit a free action adds enough to it to make it *overpowered*. What it does do is open up more possible builds for samurai and remove anti-synergy within the archetype itself, not to mention the class as a whole. Fighter's have a bunch of things they can use their bonus actions for.

Plus it's a really simple change.

so wait, 2 questions

what if I cast the main spell first then the bonus action spell second?

secondly, is ASI tied to class level or character level?

>My conscience doesn't allow that

What's your color?

>secondly, is ASI tied to class level or character level?

ASIs are tied to class levels. Proficiency and cantrip scaling are tied to character levels

>what if I cast the main spell first then the bonus action spell second?

Then you couldn't cast the bonus action.

>what if I cast the main spell first then the bonus action spell second?
Then you can't cast the bonus action spell.

Do variant humans get 2 then? Because I tried doing this one and disallowing variant-humans and everyone in my group was ready to crucify me.

If you miss sequence your turns, you lose the ability to cast spells.

Asi is tied to class levels. Note how fighters get more than everyone else.

Updated my journal.

Well, okay. It's true that no one really plays dual wielding characters anyway. Rogues have tons of bonus action abilities too, and I don't think it really kills their two weapon fighting. I guess it helps that it gives them a second chance to sneak attack though, while with Fighter you get tons of attacks just by leveling up.

Lol your players are so fucking entitled

magic?
I play mostly red and green

Concentration exists so you don't end up in the Pathfinder caster-supremacy hole of the flying, invisible, hasted wizard with stoneskin, 3 different force fields, windwall, and is also transformed into a deathking murderboss enemy while doing all this.

Who is the best unarmored tank?

Human Monk 5 with 1 level sorcerer to get +3 AC or Human Fighter 6 with Tavern Brawler?

Eh, 2 feats at 1 could unbalance but its possible they wanted the extra skill.

I kinda liked the one anons idea of "one free feat but it's from a limited list".

>Human Monk 5 with 1 level sorcerer to get +3 AC
That's not how AC works.

>Human Fighter 6 with Tavern Brawler?
If you want to die.

It's better than the normal system. If you let all classes use it, it'll completely kill Sorcerers because converting spell slots was one of their cooler abilities. It fits Sorcerers perfectly though.

Bear totem barbarian with a shield. AC caluclations don't stack - you must use either the sorcerers dragon scales, or the monk's unarmored defense.

The best unarmored tank is Bear Totem Barbarian

Also Dragon Sorc AC bonus doesn't stack with Monk's Unarmored Defense

reskin plate as very thick muscles

It's okay, just don't tell the DM.

>Updated my journal.

No please I don't have time to play it again.

>1 level sorcerer to get +3 AC
When will people stop being so fucking retarded? They made it so fucking clear this edition too. Every sage advice is just Jerry repeating RAW to retards and /5eg/ has the same retards.

>What house rules have you played with that you can't imagine playing without?

All mortals are Unaligned. The Unaligned "alignment" is WoC gift to man. No more CN lol random, no more LG stick in the ass, no more True Neutral do nothings. No more "but I'm playing my alignment." God bless the Unaligned!

I forgot that sorcerers could already exchange slots like that. I guess giving that ability to everyone else would shit on them. Unfortunate.

Now that I feel Samurai is good enough(for now) I've found myself bored, what are some archetypes/classes that haven't been done yet? I was thinking a Cavalier of sorts, but the Knight fulfills that niche already(kinda).

Another idea I had was creating a necromancer/death-y bard, though bards are one of the classes I have the least experience with.

Best unarmored tank...and you didn't even think to even so much as glance at the very obvious Barbarian class?

Did you even read the PHB?

If you like the system, it's probably okay to use it as long as none of the players are going to play as a sorcerer.

It does make casters even more versatile though.

probably retarded but can spells crit?

Monks receive +2 AC in 1st level. When multiclass, this bonus disappears.

3.5 had the Dirgesinger prestige class you could take some inspiration from for a death-y bard.

Yes. The critical hits section doesn't specify weapon attacks. Double the damage dice like normal.

Since most spells require a saving throw and not an attack roll, no.

How big of a village could a Decanter of Endless Water support in a drought? Assume that it's also being used for field irrigation, and for simplicitys sake its a generic european woodland type region.

If they require an attack roll, yes.

I'm thinking of running a grittier game with the following

Everybody gets a feat at lv 1
8hr short rests 1 week long rests
Each time a PC is downed (0 hp) they gain 1 lv of exhaustion

Planning making it a pretty brutal game.

I really wish my DM did this.

Mystic Theurge is the only prestige class that i thought was interesting, in back in the dark days of playing pf, it'd be great to see some kind of 5e version.

Unless you generally have massive downtime between each campaign, it sounds like being a caster of any kind is going to be problematic.

Make long rests 3 days max if you don't want your game to grind to a halt

Theurge exists in one of the Unearthed Arcanas.

However it's also the only Unearthed Arcana I disallow in my games because it's basically a cleric that gets wizard spells and the only tradeoff it has to suffer is a lower hit dice. Unbalanced as fuck. (Also they get a cleric's level 17 domain ability at level 14 for some reason.)

Is it evil to use Charm Person to get a blowjob?

Depends who you charm.

Would charm person even make them give you a blowjob? The spell just makes them your friend right? So unless they give blowjobs to all their friends I think you might be out of luck. Also yes.

I thinking of theming it around kingdom building and so the pcs would only really venture out when their villagers/minions couldn't handle the threat.