/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Fighter UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/fighter
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread What rules have DMs ignored/removed that really annoyed you as a player? DMs, what rules have your players argued with you the most about what they mean?

>DMs who don't allow feats

Scum of the earth

Rules for eating a pound of food and a gallon of water a day. It makes a good deal of my character's features useless.

Doesn't that make your character useless though?

>What rules have you ignored/removed that really annoyed you as a player?
More of a change than removal, but in my games Nature and Religion are keyed off Wisdom, Medicine keys off Intelligence.

You're drunk.

Am I the only one wishing that instead of this Month-by-Month and now Week-by-Week release of half-assed content was replaced with a full fucking book of stuff that came out a year after 5E was dropped, ala the Unearthed Arcana book of 3.5? As much as I fucking hate 3.5, UA was still a great fucking book. And contained fucktons more useful content than SCAG.

This isn't 3.pf

What's the best class for a crossbow user? Ranger, rogue or fighter?

Fighter

it's always fighter

Might I ask why? Since Nature and Religion are your academic study of those topics, rather than common knowledge or the like. I definitely understand Medicine off Int, but those two just seem odd.

>What rules have DMs ignored/removed that really annoyed you as a player?

Identify a magic item on a short rest. No wizard in the party.

No. Let them take their time polishing stuff so embrassing trap option like Purple dragon knight never come out again.

Class bloat and option bloat is against thr core design of 5e. You might be playing wrong eidtion.

>things you can learn about in academic settings are keyed off your intuition

do you know what wisdom means in this edition user

It would be nice if they took a review of all the UA add ons and refined/reduced them to the cremedelacreme-tier, then released that into an official book

Why is that? Also, would multiclassing into any of the other two be ideal?

>take their time polishing stuff
>Mastermind, Swashbuckler, Storm Bloodline pretty much all released unchanged from their UA versions
>in the meantime, we get a fuckton of half-assed options that are even worse than Purple Dragon Knight

Yeah, that's working out well. I'm basically talking about

What's a good feat for a fiendish tomelock? Also is it really just up to DM discretion how a tomelock learns its rituals? Can I learn ritual spells as a warlock, write them into my book of shadows, and then switch them out for non-ritual spells when I level up without having to worry about making scrolls for the spells?

Mastermind was never in a UA.

Also there are no class options worse than PDK, in any books or any UA. Its capstone is even placed at the wrong level, for fuck's sake.

Proficiency in everything, maybe battlemaster maneuvers, but most especially action surge.

Elemental adept. You cannot just replace the spells in your book of shadows - it is specifically for ritual spells.

I actually think it'd be great if, after they have done at least one UA for each class, they started doing a second round of UA that're a mix of refinements of the first round based on feedback from players as well as a few newer options that people were looking for, including new classes.

And then once that's all done the stuff from the first round, now that it's been balanced and all checked out, gets an official publication as the first splat, and the options from the second round then get an extra bit of refining.

I'd say taking levels in rogue would be worthwhile, especially if thats the flavor you want for your character

I'd take 3-5 fighter levels first desu before going into rogue

I prefer 5e's slow-and-steady release rate with regular free playtest material to allow or disallow at my leisure.

Also this weekly UAs they're doing now is for sure for the first mechanics-focused splatbook. Expect it out near the end of next year.

Your ritual spell is separate from normal spell known.

Well for one, that was the change from 4e that pissed me off. Everything else was fine, but seeing "the Druid's skill" and "The Cleric's skill" go back to being "It's a knowledge check, roll Int."

Secondarily, Wisdom is specifically the Ability score that represents how attuned you are to the world around you, and my interpretation of that includes understanding the natural and spiritual aspects of the world.

I totally understand why they're keyed off Int by default in 5e, I just personally disagree with it being the default.

What dragon origin would fit a neutral Tiefling the best? I'm planing to make him fire related, so either brass, gold or red.

Honestly, just let the player key it off their higher scores

but I feel your pain lol. I honestly fucking hate the fact that perception isn't its own stat. Like someone can be "wise" and not notice things. Wow it triggers my autism.

But if I know the spell, then I can write it into my book of shadows and then switch out the spell from my normal warlock spell list, right?

For a Sorcerer? Tough call, though I'd say Red for the least amount of special snowflake. Having Dragon and Demon blood is already up there, but at least have it all be the evil kind.

If tiefling you could go with red, like an ancient wyrm red dragon tried to breed supersoldier offspring or whatever with a fiendish pact and you're a leftover from that bloodline

The book doesn't fucking write itself, you fucking wad.

When the check is for something requiring intuition more than memory purely by wrote, go ahead and swap int for wis. The game is designed to work that way.

>Tiefling

>Not just limiting rolling to those that are proficient

Fixes everything. Makes it worthwhile, and those with skills feel special.

So let's say you have ritual A and B in your tome already. You level up and learn a warlock spell and it has the ritual tag. You want to put it in your tome as ritual C. You level up again and replace the spell? If that's your question I would argue ritual C is still in the book but like the others you can only ritual cast it of course

No one is saying it does. A warlock can learn a ritual spell via pact magic, transcribe it to his book of shadow by taking the time and spending the gold, and then change the spell with another one when he levels up without ever having to make a scroll for the spell, correct?

It fixes nothing, it just makes sure that there are some checks that some people can *never* attempt.

>Irish cap
>Irish beer
>Dog isn't an Irish Setter
How disappointing.

Wasn't responding to a post in this thread. Try reading next time.

Battlemaster Fighter makes the best crossbow users. The extra feats mean you get your full damage quicker and more of those -5/+10 damage attacks really add up. The riders you can put on your shots to force knockback knockdown fear etc. can be amazing CC for a class that just pumps out damage. Not to mention that precision attack turns the occasional -5 attack miss into a hit really easily

Hey, here, I think yes that's fine you knew the ritual and spent the time/money to put it in the book. It's still there

So? Can't be a master of everything.

Why even have classes, let everyone do everything.

Please see from last thread.

> Nerf everything except Bard
For what reason?

> make sure everyone put INT as dumb stat

>For what reason?
flavour
>mixmaxing
>not just having fun creating a character with strengths and weaknesses
>not having a whole party with individual flaws but together are strong

>Put Int as a dumb stat
Not sure if typo or just appropriately funny.

>having a party where everyone is a Sailor just so they can see and hear

>a whole party with nothing but flaws except for one chance at succeeding any check, and it will always be the same guy for each check
Yeah
No

>You can be superhumanly strong but unless you're a trained athlete you can't even attempt to break a grapple
Nah.

Ive been doing FiendTomelock for about a year and a half now. I always write down these three things that a Warlock does well

1} Eldritch Blast Turret
2} Take advantage of auto-scaling spells with stuff like Hold person Banishment Invisibility Fly etc. and short rests
3} With a Rod of the Pact Keeper your save DCs go above the curve and make you the best debuffer available

Warlock is extremely campaign dependant sort of like Illusionists. If you can get a PK rod and the DM allows a good amount of short rests then you should be great. If not the class ends up very subpar and you have to focus on EB shenanigans just to be useful

Take feats like Warcaster, and/or resilient Con to keep spells up.Take Alert so you can go first and use a single spell that alters the entire dynamic of the battle.Take Lucky to win.

Dont be the dumbass that thinks you need elemental adapt to pump out fire damage just becauseis on your spell list. It aint worth it and it really doesnt come out as much as you would like.Scorching Ray is only nice with Hex to back it up but thats two of your spells just get a damage spike.Fireball is best not used for just damage but as a replacement for sleep IE it exterminates a horde of small shitbeasts that would be too tough to just trudge through.Wall of Fire is best used in ways you can keep opponents close to the wall and is actually kinda feeble if you cant.Never use Flame strike

EB itself can often benefit from Spell Sniper and Warcaster and even Crossbow Exoert if the DM loves to find bullshit ways to get things into melee with you

Playing a ranger?

When you cast a spell like scorching ray as a dragon sorcerer with a fire dragon origin, do you add your Cha modifier to the damage of every single ray, just like agonizing blast for eldritch blast?

Holy shit, I had never noticed. Where is PDK's 18th level feature? What the fuck, WotC?

You only get it to one of them.

I think the improved Inspiring Surge is meant to be for level 18 not 17.

nah

does make them way more boringer though, and it's like

it's a game

why should it be boring

That would be amazingly shitty for an 18th level feature, the subclass capstone. I must choose to believe WotC fucked up and didn't print the feature instead of intentionally making such an uninspired archetype like that.

If you must use a crossbow go for Beast Master Ranger (PHB or UA.) It's actually designed around the crossbow's loading property.

Anything else is going to pretty much require taking the Crossbow Expert feat,which is generally a waste compared to just using a longbow instead.

If at all possible, just take the longbow.

>Implying Mearls understand his own system
Crawford is the only competent being left on the D&D team.

>There's no cross proficiencies between classes
>Waaah why can't my totally cool dragonkin with a 10ft dick flying sorc/rogue/barb do everything
Fundamentally its more about arcana/nature/medicine etc. Things that actually require training...

Anyone can attempt to break out of a grapple and/or be athletic.

Crawford is partially responsible for some of the mess in SCAG himself.

Chris Perkins, however, is completely absent from the credits list. So he's still in the clear.

I recall some posts regarding Minor Conjuration so I decided to do some digging.

This post implies that a conjured grenade used to make an attack roll wouldn't fizzle as soon as it took damage, at least to me, since exploding is what it's intended to do.

Maybe I'm stretching here but I think RAI "using" an item doesn't count as it taking damage if that's the item's intended use- so while you could throw a grenade and have it explode (Via an Attack Roll, that being the important point here) it'd explode however if someone hit the grenade before it exploded it would "take damage" and disappear.

Hating on based Perkins. That someone is a complete fucker.

Note that it says in the Errata "The conjured object also disappears if it deals any damage (6th printing)." I think what this means is that if the object deals damage itself, for example if you tried to conjure something that dealt damage without you making an attack roll- this errata could be from after that tweet though and overwrite it so I don't know.

And this one is for asking about material components.

If there is someone in the party that has the Sentinel feat, should I choose another option or pick Sentinel anyway? He is a fighter and I am a paladin.

I'm not sure if having two people with Sentinel is good or not.

ok, tell me how shitty of an idea this is: monks get ki points equal to 1+wis mod per level

Absolute excess Ki.
Did you mean wis mod(min 1) + monk level?

>120 ki points per short rest

I'd avoid it, personally. The Sentinel feat's reaction attack is canceled out if the person you're defending has Sentinel as well.

yeah i knew it was a bad idea and i forgot KI recharges on a short rest not long. nevermind it was just a random thought

>My monk when

Does a spellbook count as a foci? would you allow that?

No, fuck you. This is not the ballad of Edgardo and A Guy Named Squid.

I think Bladelock needs a rework to be honest family. Here's an easy change.

Rough idea
>Get rid of the Extra Attack invocation
>Retool it so rather than attacking directly with your weapon, you essentially make a point blank Eldritch Blast using your weapon, you gain attacks when you get extra Eldritch Blast beams

It would need some work to make it a balanced idea but it'd essentially make you a point blank blaster who can knock enemies around using Repelling Blast in melee. It'd be a lot of DPR, however even with these changes you're only getting it in melee as a squishy class. The biggest issue with it is weapon damage, (Should it be a flat d10 or use weapon die?) and the fact it'd be a CHA attack with two CHAMod damage boosts (Agonizing Blast and Lifedrinker)

It's a pretty simple change but it'd go a decent way to making it viable without changing much.

RAW no, but i don't see why it couldn't be allowed

Bladelock's problem is entirely defensive, or lack of it (and that one invocation at level 12).

Also: How does v. human conjuration wizard, taking skilled at level 1 for a shitload of proficiencies? I want to be a skill monkey who literally always has tool for the job, flavoured as a detective.

That's not a bard

Probably actually retarded, but how does cunning action work? Is it a bonus action or an extra full action that can only be used for hide dash and disengage? its worded as
>You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage or Hide action.

It says "bonus action", but also this "action" what do?

I'm not a huge fan of bard for this character idea
-I want minor conjuration, for the "any tool for the situation"
-I want high int, because investigation
Now I think about it instead of skilled im thinking 1 rogue/rest wizard

Currently playing with a group of "unga, kick door kill orc" kind of players at level 5. Variant human with Skilled, Thief 3/Conjuration Wiz 2. An ambitious petty criminal that made off with arcane texts before fleeing the town he was born and raised in due to multiple crimes. I didn't want the Bard flavor and it's served well so far, especially when everyone else only cares about their damage. I'm like Mr. Dependable in this group. There are better ways to be a skill monkey but I like what I have so far

It's a bonus action, which you can use to Dash, Disengage, or Hide, which are types of actions (that normally take a regular action).

basically it turns things that would normally take your regular action into only needing a bonus action.

for example attacking is an action but so is disengage so you can only do one of the two if you don't have cunning action, it's very good to run up, attack and then run away without provoking attacks of opportunity

So it uses your bonus action? It's weird that it stats it as
>You can take a bonus action on each of your turns
But that's how I thought it worked, thanks.

Also, having my spellbook written in Thieves' Cant is amazing. Imagine a spellbook, then degrade it into sloppy notes from an amateur wizard, then degrade it further into a bunch of symbolism only a trained criminal can read.

Thats pretty much exactly what I was going for, I'll probably do that then, Im thinking if we start at 3, ill go 1 rogue, 2 conj wizard, then at 5 i might get either 3 rogue for mage hand ledgerman or go thief like you did, then go rest wizard. Thanks!

I'm thinking of removing Sharpshooter, GWM... and not allowing similar feats, though.
I'd probably let them design their own feats (DM approved of course).

I just really hate feats which are basically a +X to damage; which is really flavourless and do not add to building a character in any way except mechanics.

>Inb4 my character is a great fighter
Yes. So is every character in DnD.

Has anyone finished the published adventures? What did people think of them?

Better worded version, as an Invocation so you can choose to not take it if you're using a bow or other weapon where it wouldn't fit.

>Eldritch Strike
>Prerequisite- Pact of the Blade
>When you make a melee attack with your Pact Weapon, you can choose to make an Eldritch Strike instead of a normal attack. You use your Charisma score for the attack and the attack deals 1d10 force damage. This attack gains the benefits of any Eldritch Blast invocations and the Lifedrinker invocation, however cannot be used on the same turn as the extra attack granted by Thirsting Blade; instead you gain extra Eldritch Strike attacks as your Eldritch Blast gains beams at 5th, 11th, and 17th level.

I feel like this is way too wordy so if some other kind user wants to rewrite it so it's not such a jumbled mess that'd be nice. Making you take Agonizing Blast to get your CHAmod on an attack would be a bit much to me but you'll already be able to add your CHAmod twice to the damage which is already breaking "normal" rules as there's nothing I can think of that lets you use your attack stat twice with Lifedrinker so that'd be far too much imo.

Yeah I agree, but every time I suggested letting Bladelock get extra HP or something (2 hp per Warlock level and maybe Medium Armor) the people here say it'd make Bladelock "better" than other invocations, which I think is dumb because in my mind Bladelock is meant to be the "combat' spec so obviously making them tougher makes sense, especially since they're stuck taking 2 Invocations and a Feat just to keep up with just spamming EB from safe ranges.

So making them a melee nuker seems fair to me.

Curse of Strahd was great, though the party was fucking stacked by the end. Even with some buffing Strahd was a relative pushover.

Barovia is self-contained and lets the party rove around within defined borders, so there's not much in terms of making shit up that you have to do. Though obviously it'll run up better the more you add to it, that's true of anything.

id just remove lifedrinker and thirsting blade in exchange for that. Possibly even making that a part of pact of the blade, its not even any stronger than just normal blasting anyway like that

>guy's left hand
>blood
>he stabbed himself

If you were a GM would you allow a fighter (monster hunter) who is becoming an alchemist to create potions that mimic certain spells. Such as
> For 1 minute gain resistance to bludgeoning, slashing, piercing weapons
> For 1 minute gain immunity to frightened and gain 1d8 temporary hitpoints
> For 8 hours gain Darkvision 60ft
> Any of the Ability enhancers (bears, owls, foxes, etc)
> Neutralize 1 poison, gain advantage against poison & resistance to poison for 1 hour.
> Haste

Or would you restrict them to things like grease bombs/tangle foot bags/smoke sticks and the like.

In each case the player would need to find appropriate ingredients and the formula either through study or locating ancient alchemical tomes.

>>The Suglin was a less retarded weapon than the spiked chain

What amounts of levels is decent but not retarded for a non-mechanical dip?

Specifically, in our off/secondary campaign I'm playing an ex-information broker Diviner, criminal background, but i feel like it would make sense to be part rogue, plus expertise investigation seems to make perfect sense/

>its not even any stronger than just normal blasting anyway like that

EB is 1d10+CHA Force
ES would be 1d10+CHA Force +CHA Necrotic at 12 (Which, again, I can't think of anything that lets you double up on an ability mod for damage) plus potential Polearm Master/GWM shenanigans so it would be stronger, at least if I'm thinking right.

I think it would be fine as a normal part of Pact of the Blade. From a Homebrew point of view it's easier to implement as an Invocation though, as in my potentially autistic mind it makes more sense to add to a list of abilities you can pick than to directly change a class feature.

Best dip: 1 level
Acceptable dip: 2 levels
I hope it's worth it dip: 3 levels
"I need an ASI and my other class' next level is lame" dip: 4 levels
Things are getting out of hand dip: 5 levels
This isn't even really a dip anymore dip: 6 levels and beyond

>ASI

??

ability score increase