This is a low fantasy setting and humans are the only established race

>This is a low fantasy setting and humans are the only established race
>"Hey I wanna make a warforged warlock!"
>"Half dragon artificer!"
>"Goliath Druid!"

>"This is a high-flying magic setting full of magitech. Hundreds of different races gather and intermingle in these vast cities."
>"Human fighter."
>"Human rogue."
>"Human barbarian!"

why Veeky Forums? Just... why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/j7leQB_Oe_k?t=1m39s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Players gonna play.

I could see the human fighter or rogue being cool and fitting in the latter case if they're willing to use their supreme skill to masterfully exploit sweet magitech weapons and gadgets.

Just have a wizard teleport the PCs to an appropriate setting.

Or maybe ask ask the players what they want to play before establishing the setting. You know, communication.

how would you flavor a goliath druid in a low-fantasy setting?

anyone can say no, the real challenge is making it fit

>>This is a low fantasy setting and humans are the only established race
>>"Hey I wanna make a warforged warlock!"
>>"Half dragon artificer!"
>>"Goliath Druid!"

Don't play low fantasy in modern D&D.

>"This is a high-flying magic setting full of magitech. Hundreds of different races gather and intermingle in these vast cities."
>"Human fighter."
>"Human rogue."
>"Human barbarian!"

Don't play editions where the humans bonus feat at first level makes them the charop race.

Goliath druids would probably just fine in a low fantasy setting if you toned down the magic a bit.

>playing low fantasy in 3.5

That was your first mistake.

Also geeks in my experience were often coddled as children, and so will rail at any hint that they might not get their way.

Yeah, it could work better if you played off many of their spells as being herbalism skill, saving magic for things that can't be explained by that. Like, Faerie fire is just slinging a pouch of luminescent spores, for example.

Outside of that, you'd essentially be larger mountain folk, rumored to be descended from giants.

You'd have a bit more problem with the whole turning into animal thing, but maybe consider it animal kung-fu or something?

You might as well make it short and say "odn't play D&D at all"

Nah, just identify and play to its strengths.

>Goliath
>making it fit
kek

Eh, Wargs fit well enough into Game of Thrones, and that's pretty low fantasy. You could potentially avoid it somewhat by leaning on Wildshape more for utility or sticking to only a single form.

Turning into a bear or ape and just calling it a sort of primal rage might also work.

alright, so you might need to cast diminish first

Ayy lmao, a sex joke.

It was a sex joke, user.

Nothing wrong with your second example. Humans are the only race that should be playable in fantasy.

whats wrong with playing dwarf or elf?

youtu.be/j7leQB_Oe_k?t=1m39s

i love that song

Some people think Elves and Dwarves are just Humans with a coat of paint and that anything another race might do will be better done by Humans.

You cannot convince them otherwise.

user seems to be under the impression that you should only engage with the fantasy, not be a part of it.

Have you tried not playing DnD ?

Dwarves or elves simply cannot have the same depth of character without surrendering what makes them dwarves/elves.

They were perfect when dwaf/elf was a class instead of a race. I feel that every member of race representing the same stereotype is the best way to utilize non-human races. they're not humans. They have different thought processes and live largely in same locale. If you have two elves that behave differently from each other, they are not elves anymore - just pointy-eared humans.

dumb HFYposter

>Oh no, my worldview is thratened!
>Quick! I need buzzwords!

also some HFY is good.

There's a difference between liking humans over other things and being the kind of shit who feels the need to try and convince people that anything else is badwrong fun.

Is this circular reasoning?

I think this is circular reasoning.

I disagree, as long as your dwarves are "robust" and your elves are "gracile" they fit the bill as to what makes them dwarves/elves

I'm the type to always play a human, don't know why, just do.

That's why I love low fantasy though. I don't have to travel around with the snowflake brigade like I do in high fantasy campaigns.

Being the one ordinary guy in a special-snowflake brigade can be really fun though

But a good DM will have discussed what's being played before characters are even generated.

Maybe that's why I do it. I'm not usually bitter about it either, just aching for a change of pace at the moment I guess.

But aren't you a special snowflake then?

yes but what does that have to do with OP's problem?

well yeah

Yes, but being a special snowflake in most RPGs is the default state of a PC, even if what makes you special is not having anything uniquely special about you (used that as a "one unique thing" in 13th Age once. "The most ordinary man in the Empire")

Because low fantasy implies (to the players) that there won't be a lot of fantastical things to find, so they have to create a fantastical character to make up for that.

In high fantasy however, things are so fantastic that the players only need to make a basic concept as a character and then the worldbuilding will take it from there.

I often go between human and the least human-like races in rpgs. Races that are almost human, such as elves, appeal to me the least.

>Because low fantasy implies (to the players) that there won't be a lot of fantastical things to find

You know that the Conan series is considered low fantasy right? It was a counterpoint to high fantasy. Low fantasy was defined primarily by amoral protagonists in pseudo-historical settings engaging in personal struggles for their own gain, versus the grandiose narratives of good versus evil in entirely fantastic worlds. There's still plenty of fantastic shit to be had (Conan fights tons of monsters and evil wizards).

The Goliath is just a big guy.

>This is a low fantasy setting and humans are the only established race
Have you tried not using D&D?

Gonna remember this

>Man, wouldn't it be crazy if I played something that went against the established setting? Man, I'm so original and unique; no one would ever think to play an arch-magus spellsword half-fire-elemental in a low-fantasy game/gritty ultra-pragmatic operator mercenary in a lighthearted high-fantasy game!

Everyone want to be the special main character that's unlike everyone else. If everyone's normal humans, they want to be the half-demon prince. If everyone's got demon blood or magic space-genes, they want to be the guy that got there on grit and skill alone.

I didn't even think the first thought, I'm just irritated about "y need nonhumans" posts and expressed it in this way
No point in arguing, might as well copy-paste replies from previous threads where it was argued about

players are usually not as bookish as you are