/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

Late Autumn Spooky Edition

>Latest News
Fighter UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/fighter
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread What are some spooky character or campaign concepts you've played or want to play?

Other urls found in this thread:

editphotosforfree.com/photoapps/remove-background-from-image-online/
youtu.be/PfYnvDL0Qcw
youtube.com/watch?v=5LitDGyxFh4
youtube.com/watch?v=fcbazH6aE2g&t=0m30s
youtube.com/watch?v=25Ewd_fpETI
youtube.com/watch?v=QxJrjV4PNXA
youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Could a level 3 fighter take on 8 kobolds?

No. Action economy and pack tactics are working against him.

Why style of fighter is this? What is the environment they're fighting in? A narrow hallway or open room/field?

>What are some spooky character or campaign concepts you've played or want to play?

I want to play a frankenstein style necromancer who uses healer to stitch his zombies back together, uses witchbolt to heal his flesh golem, and eventually has a tower filled with vats of his clones.

The Spring Heel Jack warlock from last thread sounded fun too

Depends on the situation. Kobolds wear the fighter down due to advantage and numbers or the fighter wins but it won't be an easy fight.

Now if the fighter has an environment where he can use to his advantage (putting his back to a pillar to prevent flanking, firing arrows from a ledge, having an escape route etc) its more doable.

Kobolds have adv on their target as long as one of their allies is next to it too, they don't need to flank

kobolds are bae, make kobold characters

>spend 20 hours this past week making a fun little campaign
>spend 0 hours playing d&d because all of my friends are assholes and i can't seem to find any new people to play with

at least i'm having fun coming up with the ideas

Battle master with a greatsword could.

Posted this last thread. Looking for opinions on what to trim/nerf, change, or move around. I made it overloaded so I can decide what is worth keeping and what is worth getting rid of.

Ideas? Also need ideas on what to change for the poisons, I just put Widow's Tear in as a placeholder.

Wtf is up with /5eg/s penchant for fucking up Generals?

have my first session in ~5 years, haven't played since 3.5

Was talking about what characters we were going to roll up and I jokingly said I was going to be a dildomancer and now the group is holding me to it.

help?

Furthest I've got is maybe Arcane Trickster who uses Mage Hand to place dildos (i
o)n people.

>can't read the PHB
>expect people to read the Poster's OP

Show me your party's tokens, /5eg/.

This is mine. Well, it's not mine yet, I'll have to either buy it or have someone from /wsr/ cut it out. But it will be mine.

mind if i just give you some writing input?
>"you have learned how to take
advantage of the chaos of combat"
the repeating 'of's is a bit confusing. it would be better to say "you have learned how to take advantage of chaotic combat situations" or "you have learned how to turn the chaos of combat to your advantage"

>"whether you hit or miss you"
seems like this phrase is unnecessary. simply saying that it triggers on attack should be enough.

>"you have grown used to the openings you make
when you attack creatures"
repeating 'you's here is awkward, plus it's weird to grow used to your own actions. how about "you are better prepared to make the most of any opening in battle"

>"you may move 10 feet without provoking opportunity attacks."
is this a free action or does it require a player to use their move?

>"if you have a off-hand weapon you may attack in the same action as well without using a bonus action"
again you could just say ", if you have a off-hand weapon you may attack with it as a free action"

>"pack tactics"
it's a bit confusing that this has the same name as a common monster trait. how about "alpha strike" or something similar.

the 15th level ability is a bit messy to me. i like the idea that you can attack creatures as you pass them. the first prat about being hidden is awkward though, it has too much overlap with the level 3 ability imo. why not just give the player a surprise round against any creatures who have lower initiative?

Minor conjuration makes you create a dildo from thin air, but it has rules about being without your reach. Fabricate can make dildos if you have the proficiency in making them. Illusion spells can also make dildos that hurt people by being shoved up their ass. But I think nothing would beat a rogue for shoving real dildos in asses

also, i forgot to mention, i think the poisons are a bit too much.

>cold poison
+1d8 damage and slowed
>night poison
+1d4 damage and blinded
>widows poison
+1d6 damage and frightened

something like that. keep it simple. adding 2d8 cold damage as a bonus action that also slows is pretty strong imo.

>not battlemaster with 2 shortswords

Drawn by one of our own.

editphotosforfree.com/photoapps/remove-background-from-image-online/

You're right, a rogue is the better choice.

Christ, that's a lot of (half)-elves.

There's still an overlay text. How do I remove that?

How do I play an evil character in a fun and hilarious way for the party, without being oppressive or edgy?

I've thought about giving him a typical over the top evil guy laugh, but I'm not sure what else I could do.

I usually run the early levels in a sort of horror / noir style. Clues, avoiding encounters with horrible beasts et cetera.
Then later on the character can combat the horrible beasts.
Then in the late phase of the game, they start fighting beautiful things instead.

an image editor, time, and skill(Color Matching)

Try online?

I appreciate the input. I admit my writing skills suck, and I phrase things in an odd way sometimes when I'm just writing down whatever.

When I get a free chance I'll go through it and fix the wording a bit to make it read better.

As for moving 10 feet, the way movement works as I know so far is that you can move at any time as long as you have movement left. In this case, you can move as a free action/movement when you attack.

I admit I added the first part of Thrill of the Hunt as a ribbon, I can just remove it or change it to something else.

evil doesn't mean have to mean melodramatic or sinister. you can play a relatively ordinary character who just has a penchant for seeing people get hurt.

if your party is on a quest to save a village from a dragon you could remark that "if there wasn't a reward for this i would happily just sit back and watch them all get eaten"

it's more about motives than about behavior most of the time imo.

2 half-elves, 2 halflings, 1 dwarf and a 1 human

>fun and hilarious way for the party
Cartoon villain?

I'm the GM, I use this kinda stuff (pic related). My players use any concept art they can get their hands on.
JEALOUS

>As for moving 10 feet, the way movement works as I know so far is that you can move at any time as long as you have movement left. In this case, you can move as a free action/movement when you attack.

that is true. i'm sure there are other class abilities that are similar, so however those are phrased is best.

Yeah thats what I had in mind. He is supposed the be clearly evil, but not in a way that he tries to steer the party into evil behavior.

My goal is to make the party laugh. If it matters he is a Dragon Sorcerer with 20 Charisma.

In this instance it's because OP didn't link to this thread in the old one, so now we have this thread that was created earlier and another thread that was properly linked.

The real new thread.

Evil doesn't always mean "I stab babies", it's "I look out for #1, and that's me, regardless of what the fuck else is going on". You're basically a massive jerk or self-interested twat. Just direct your jerkiness outwards from the party, and do things that aren't going to get your party caught and sidetracked.

If you want to rob the village shoppe, you do it on the last day as the party is leaving, not when you first show up.

If you want to kill this NPC, wait until after the party has all the information they need out of them. Better yet, don't kill them in a way that the party notices; if it's the party's intention to let this bandit go, don't just shoot him in the ass as he walks away. Give him some poisoned provisions for the road so he drops dead long after he's out of sight.

When the party wants to help the poor midwife clear some goblins for the orphanage or whatever, ask for a reward up front. If the party balks, extort money FROM THEM for your assistance in advance, or take a larger than equal share of whatever gold is found in a quest ("it was 50gp just to get me in the door, on top of my share of what we find"). Whenever reward is offered, insist on more. When you bring the town mayor's killers to justice, keep his wedding ring; the widow should sleep well enough knowing that her husband's killers are as dead as him.

But since you're a cartoon villain, just kill everyone in absurd and over-the-top ways while gloating and big-upping yourself in a melodramatic way. Have a speech and bad 90s cartoon one-liners prepared.

If the party is OK with killing these goblins, insist on gaining the goblins' trust instead. Then kill them.

Don't be discriminating when it comes to throwing fire around. Don't hit your party, obviously, but also don't give a fuck if you burn down a building.

"Overkill" only seems cruel if it's slow.

> DM says this is gonna be an evil campaign
> Everyone creates edgy murderers and cold-hearted assassins and evil changelings
> Except for this guy
> He's an evil overlord.
> Sort of.
> He's a teenage magic school dropout, who took LARPing way too far.
> His black armor is poorly made and doesn't quite fit him
> His evil steed is old, sickly and stolen from some farmer.
> His booming voice is laughable.
> His evil laugh is pathetic.
> His threats are weak and ineffective, because everyone around him realizes that his legions of doom are imaginary.
> His name, even his fucking name is laughable, because he picked the most menacing word from a dictionary and changed it a little, becoming Lord Gasteron.
> And then he meets our party.
> In seconds, we fall in love with him.
> And decide to make him an actual evil overlord. You know, as a joke.
> After kneeling and swearing fealty to His Evilness, we follow his every word, because the guy is that fucking hilarious.
> Nobody takes us seriously for some time
> That is, until we start killing people who mock our glorious leader.
> Party has two women, who almost momentarily begin infighting about who gets to be the Dark Mistress.
> Until Lord Gasteron graciously lets them know that there's enough of him for both of them.
> When he told people that the name of Lord Gasteron will be feared and respected in this land, they laughed at him.
> They are not laughing now.

whats with all the autistic fuckery

So can I make a tiefling warlock with a spring heel jack theme without being woefully underpowered? I know that the jump spell at-will isn't the most optimized, but is it a waste of an invocation slot?

Did he deliver? Or was he still a joke after all of this?

Make no mistake - he wasn't a pushover even at the beginning. He had magic, he had some sword skills, he could be a somewhat competent adventurer if not for his autism and tendency to drop spaghetti.
While he became more powerful and Veeky Forums over time, we didn't quite manage to cure his autism.

This is awesome! What class was he playing? I always imagine that oathbreaker paladin would make the quintessential evil overlord character

>Warlocks
>whole shtick is making deals for power
>no Faustian deal thing going on mechanically

Whatta ya think of this unfleshed idea.

Pact of Faustian Bullshit
When you pick this pact at level 3 you pick one skill to gain Expertise in and one skill to become proficient in
You can use your Charisma score for rolls with these abilities instead of their normal stat

Add invocations like "your chosen proficiency gains expertise" and "you can subsitute your CHA mod for rolls below it made with your pact skills"

youtu.be/PfYnvDL0Qcw
His character theme.

I like it. It actually feels like something a person would make a bargain for, and it's incredibly open for variation.
I've always wanted a pact that let's you conjure a low-level magic item for the day using a ritual like the bladelock. You can summon a different item every day, but once you used the one you summoned, then you have to wait until midnight to get a new one. And you could throw in a few invocations that up the power-level of the item summoned.

This is going to be the theme of my next illusion warlock.

Is there any downside to making champion's Remarkable Athlete feature stack with already existent proficiencies?

youtube.com/watch?v=5LitDGyxFh4

youtube.com/watch?v=fcbazH6aE2g&t=0m30s

The fact you're playing the most boring fighter

What does remarkable athlete apply to, all told? Does it work for saves you aren't proficient in? Attack rolls?

>google shit
>end up at '10 Most Common Mistakes DMs and Players make in DnD 5e'
>"...If a spellcaster has a Concentration spell in effect and they take damage they must make a Concentration saving throw (which is a Constitution save). The DC is either 10 or half the damage taken. So unless a single attack deals 22 damage or more the DC is 10. If the spellcaster fails the save the spell stops. Remember that a save is required every time the spellcaster takes damage. So a spellcaster hit by a level 1 Magic Missile would have to make three separate saves."

And, oh gosh,
"Yes, you can cast two spells in the same round. The only restriction is that one of them MUST be a cantrip. So we often see Clerics cast Healing Word (level 1 spell, bonus action) and Sacred Flame (cantrip, action) in the same round. This is absolutely allowed."
Heck, I could keep going, but it seems ironic that a post about common mistakes has so many mistakes in it.

Just goes to show how secretly complex 5e really is.

There's two things terribly wrong with that.

So long as everyone's posting warlock theme songs...
youtube.com/watch?v=25Ewd_fpETI

What's the best game set to have proficiency in?

It only applies to ability checks using Strength, Constitution or Dexterity. It's like a physical Jack of All Trades.

youtube.com/watch?v=QxJrjV4PNXA
A warlock theme song if there ever was one.

If they take a level of rogue for expertise, they'd have 2.5 proficiency in athletics.

Make it so it won't stack with expertise and you're golden.

What's wrong with this one?

Bumping for answers. How many times does jumping actually come up in a campaign. I feel like it's not a good build for the game.

1. It's in the same turn. You can cast spells as a reaction and such using warcaster on somebody else's turn, even after using a bonus action spell.
2. You can still cast an action/reaction/bonus spell if you have already cast an action/reaction/bonus spell. It's only once you cast a bonus action spell you can no longer cast an action spell.

Not that I know of any way to get more than one bonus action on your turn.

Sorry, worded that wrong for 2.

You can cast a action/reaction spell if you have already cast a action/reaction spell. If you attempt to cast a bonus second/third/fourth, you create a paradox which tells you to get the fuck out. If you cast a bonus first, you're locked out.

I only put bonus there because I wanted to include the possibility of having more than one bonus action, but actually that doesn't work.

Alright, updated. Opinions?

youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw
Dr. Facilier makes me want a shadow familiar. Would he be a charlatan or criminal background?

Hit and Run doesn't make any sense.
Why would you move if you hit a creature?

Does the magical force of magical space hermitage hobos take you on a 10ft magical journey every time you hit everything as a 'job well done' reward?

Eldritch blast with repelling blast makes sense. You shoot an enemy, they're blasted back if they get hit.
But, this...
It'd make more sense if it was an ability about gaining half a dash's worth of speed if you choose the 'attack' action or something.

Not to mention, how ridiculous it would be with volley.

Now, people on a train or in a crowd may pack one person to every square metre, or every 10.7 or so square feet.

When you take the area covered by volley and divide it by that, you get up to perhaps 29 targets.

You could move 290 feet after making a volley.

Oh, no, wait, that'd never happen, would it?

Okay.

Get hundred rats. Put them in a bag, throw them down there and get ready to volley them.
They'll have a very low AC, and if you're a halfling you'll reroll 1s and thus only miss 1/400 of the time.

1000ft movement from a hundred rats.
To the moon!

>This archetype feature is broken if you use a mutually exclusive archetype feature along with it!
>Lol, how can you walk away from something after you hit it? That doesn't fit Hit & Run tactics at all

>volley
Well, if you could multiarchetype then it'd be a problem. However, last I checked you can only get one archetype and once you've chosen you're locked into it.

It isn't magical to want to run up to someone, hit them, and then run away before they have a chance to react.

I would do that, aye.

Dr. Facilier is such a cool villain. And charlatan, for sure! You need that Sleight of Hand for all those tricks. He might be a warlock/arcane trickster with expertise in SoH.

> Warlock/arcane trickster
There are probably worse multiclasses in 5e, but none come to mind right now.

Oh, anyway, I'd suggest changing hit and run to be a +speed effect whenever you take the attack action or something.

Level 5 is a bit powerful, I'd think, simply because it stacks with other sources of extra attacks. Normally the only way to get three raw (not bonus) attacks would be 11 levels in fighter, but you could achieve it here with 5 levels of ranger and 5 levels of something else.

I wouldn't say that's a big issue, but it seems like it could be once you consider multiclass.

Level 7 is a big problem, however.
At least looking at revised ranger, level 7 abilities are defence-based, and not too powerful. This...
It's not too hard to become hidden to an enemy. Later on, it's a bonus action. It encourages a behaviour of 'I hide, then attack' a bit too much. I hide/attack is okay, but not required.

I was in the line of thought that hunter's multiattack was default hunter because at least for non-revised ranger it makes it actually somewhat sensible.
But, that isn't the issue here.
The issue is that 5e likes to make sense, and gaining a benefit upon hitting a creature sounds like magic. It should at least be advertized as a magical 'wind fairies drag you along' effect.
You're running away from a bunch of knights. Fortunately, you have a bag full of rats, which you proceed to open up. You find some way to make attacks on them (say, reaction attacks) without using your action so you can dash, and you get more speed like that.

Got a GM problem: why would ettercaps keep a soldier alive for about a week

Listen to "beelz" by Stephen lynch

>The issue is that 5e likes to make sense, and gaining a benefit upon hitting a creature sounds like magic.
It's basically the mobility feat as a class feature, except with the bonus movement tied only into when you make an attack.

It's a ranger designed around skirmishing. Yeah, you can do weird things of you're attacking rats, but it also lets you slice your way across a battlefield.

A battle master can also smack a rat and then yell at his friend to run faster.

how's this for a dildomancer name?

"Velius Diletto." From the Latin name "Velius" meaning "concealed" and the Italian word "Diletto" meaning "delight," and thought to be a possible origin of the word "Dildo."

.. Continuing on from level 7 because I ran out of text space.

Actually, it's not as abusable as I first thought because actually you can't become hidden using invisibility without your bonus action.

Really, this should be a level 11 ability. It adds damage throughout a combat, and that's what level 11 abilities seem to do.

I think it's not that bad, but it does encourage a constant play of hiding using the bonus action too much which seems tedious.
Level 11 feature is fine enough, I guess.

Level 15 feature..
The 'leap and attack' should use your reaction, and have a more specific condition. Say, 'if a creature moves within 10ft of you and you are hidden from it'.

The 'you take an attack action as part of your movement' doesn't make sense, because that says 'action'. Simply state 'a weapon attack' or something instead.
Even then, it seems kind of dubious when it chains up with the other abilities to turn into 'if there is a 1 mile long line of creatures, you can run a mile, hitting each creature in that mile long line in a single turn only using your movement'.

Honestly, if people thought I was being stupid about volley, they can't argue with this one. You can literally travel all the way around the world in a turn if you have enough targets and you hit the targets reliably.

You'll move so fast that your DM will have to start applying special relativity to you.

I like it.
Please be an absolutely serious and deadpan dildomancer

Oh, one last thing.

Ranger obtains 'vanish' at level 14, which appears to be an essential part of this, being able to hide as a bonus action so you can gain the benefits of being hidden (Free attacks, granting others advantage, plus damage to attacks).

The problem with this is
1. Once you get it, the bonus actions clash with the poisons to make the bonus action poisons almost obsolete.
2. This encourages multiclassing into rogue far too much as not only would rogue give expertise in stealth, but they'd also give you bonus action hiding after 2 levels, rather than waiting until level 14.
3. It's level 14, which is way after level 7, and provides an odd powerboost line (you get a feature that remains mostly dormant until level 14 where you can abuse it to hell).

Maybe make it so that it doesn't rely on being hidden, but rather getting surprise rounds. But honestly, I don't like that idea because surprise rounds tend to seem very campaign-dependent.

Anyway, that's all from me, I think.

There's 2 generals. What the fuck is wrong with you niggers that you can't manage to make a new thread without fucking it up.

Is revised ranger OP? My DM may let one of our players use it but we don't know if it's broken

Naturally.

I'm unfamiliar with 5e (just started in on the PBH) so could someone clarify if multiclassing is different compared to 3.5e?

My concept for the dildomancer is based on using Arcane Trickster's invisible mage hand to sleight of hand dildos into people, and I wanted to splash Wizard (Conj) so I could materialize dildos rather than carrying a bunch of dildos on me but I'm not sure if that's wise.

It's not like that happens all the time..

Rolled 18 (1d20)

THREAD CHALLENGE

>not battlemaster with a portable mortar
it's like you want to lose

The fact it happens all the time is half the problem, jesus christ is it that hard to 1- proofread the OP for typos and (embed)s, 2- Remember to FUCKING LINK IT (The reason there's 2 up now) and 3- Remember to check if some other shithead didn't already make a new one and not link it like a fucking braindead invalid (The other reason there's 2 up now)

If either of the OPs did these simple things they wouldn't have fucked up, but BOTH didn't.

Alright, I appreciate the feedback. What I've taken from this is

1. Swap 7 and 11 with each other as a possible fix.

2. Add a restriction onto level 5, such as not being able to perform this with Extra Attacks.

3. Nerf Hit and Run a bit so that way it restricts you a bit more.

4. Add a limit to 15th level so as not to have a Blade Cascade problem.

As such, I've made some changes so far. Does this look much better? I might've missed something you touched upon since I tunnel vision when I'm fixing stuff.

>you decapitate the enemy thread, bringing about a swift end to the thread war. You are crowned king of threads, and marry the thread of your dreams. After several happy years bringing about many heirs, you die peacefully in your thread surrounded by your family.
GOOD END

>Rolled 2 (1d20)
This thread is victorious. Congratulations, party.
Roll a d100 to receive your magic items.

>After your death the threat of the old thread returns to haunt your kingdom, eventually usurping power.

Remember to go back to the other thread after this one is over bump if it's still there.

Rolled 49 (1d100)

Rolled 53 (1d100)

Take a deep breath, bro

Slippers of Spider Climbing

Staff of the Python

How is the mystic? I might play one in my next game

Haha, fuckin nice. I'm gonna be a snake wizard.

I AM CALM

>Slippers of Spider Climbing
If I screenshot this and send it to my DM it totally counts, right? Right!?

oh wait fuck. nvm i'll be a snake druid.

This thread is AL legal. Screenshot your loot card.